Likes - the common name for amazing dogs that have certain similarities between themselves. Once in the north, these dogs were the only transport, and even what hunting could do without the participation of the husky ... Being exclusively working dogs, they became owners of an amazing character and are still used for their intended purpose to this day.
The origin of the breed
Surprisingly, there is practically no information on how the development and further division of rocks occurred. Researchers attribute this to the fact that in the northern regions there was never much attention to these animals, and no one was engaged in special breeding. For centuries, they lived next to a man, performed the most important work, including companions, but never demanded special treatment. However, the name of the "huskies" was given to dogs not so long ago. Prior to this, they were called "wit," "yard", or "northern" dogs.
The oldest of all images of dogs of this variety is the fresco of the temple belonging to the period of Ancient Kievan Rus. Even then, the performance of these dogs did not go unnoticed. As for the European West, hunting was considered to be the amusement of the aristocracy, and in the North and the territory of Siberia it was classified as a leading trade that helps people survive in harsh climatic conditions.
The first selection work from the end of the 19th century. was carried by canine hunters G. Poplavsky, MG Dmitrieva-Sulima and Prince A.A. Shirinsky-Shikhmatov. These felinologists were engaged in propaganda of the breed, classified varieties of huskies, created several large nurseries. The result of their travels in the northern regions was the acquisition of the best wits, available from local residents.
In the 25th year of the 20th century, the first representatives of the breed were approved, who after three years became worthy participants of the First All-Union Exhibition, this was an important impetus for the distribution of pedigree pets in the hunting environment. During the period of the Patriotic War, the huskies were used for driving, mine search and mining. At the end of the Second World War, there were more than 6 dozen kennels involved in breeding dogs for hunting, including huskies, in Russia.
In the late 40s, several breed standards emerged, although this was a temporary measure. They received Fino-Karelian, Hantei, Mansi and Zyryan likes.
Types of huskies
There are three types: riding, they are polar, hunting and herding:
- Shepherd huskies . The ancestor of the shepherd's breed was the Nenets Laika, which is a relative of the Lappish husky, spread throughout the Scandinavian Peninsula. If we describe the Nenets husky, then we are talking about a small, compact long-haired dog. They used purebred pets as assistants to shepherds, for the purpose of hunting for waterfowl, small animals and larger game, including the bear. Breeders noted that when the huskies crossed the shepherds with the huntresses, the offspring had an overly pronounced hunting instinct, akin to “savagery” (this was expressed in the rampant pursuit of wild animals, bullring and devouring game). A similar result of crossing negatively affected the quality of the coat, which became much shorter in descendants and did not protect dogs living in swampy areas.
- Driving (polar) huskies . This is the largest subgroup of huskies, the main purpose of which is the transportation of people. Dogs help out, where there is no traffic, and the transport interchange ends. People keep dogs with whole dogs, from 8 to 13 pets. In addition, sled dogs are involved in the rut of large artiodactyls. When polar bears did not fall under the law of protection, they also used huskies to hunt this predator. Since representatives of polar huskies are widely distributed in the giant Siberian territories, there are many varieties of them. However, usually the main characteristic is taken characteristic of a dog that lives in the eastern regions of the North.
- Hunting huskies . These dogs are still considered among the hunters hunting in the northern part of Europe and Asia, the best of hunting weapons. Huskies are wonderful hunter dogs, which in the 19th century they tried to collect in one registry in order to carry out further breeding activities to consolidate their unique hunting abilities. At the end of the 19th century, the first edition of the representatives of this breed was born, which MG wrote. Dmitriev-Sulima. The book is based on the generalized experience of the North fishermen and the theory of the researchers themselves. She was highly appreciated, and in the 20th year of the 20th century, V.I. Lenin signed the document “Decree on Hunting”, thanks to which a new trend appeared in Soviet cynology.
Description breed like
As already noted, huskies, and all its pedigree species, have long been adapted to living in the North. Local aboriginal peoples used them also for the development of uncharted, wild territories. Today there are many breeds related to likes:
- West Siberian;
- Yakut and others
Despite the huge variety of individual breeds, these dogs have common pronounced genetic traits, character traits. Among the differences can be noted color, size and slight differences in appearance.
The main feature that is observed in all huskies is an elegant physique, love of freedom and the desire for independence. All pets of this group have a highly developed hunter instincts. They are also impeccable, carefully and responsibly guarded.
But with the training of the Huskies there are difficulties, and you should not expect from them to perform any indoor tricks. It is important to indicate to the child from his puppy age his duties, to be engaged in upbringing and to develop a number of rules that the dog must adhere to. Puppies of these breeds is important trust and sincerity in the relationship with the owner.
The weight of various thoroughbred representatives varies somewhat, as does the height at the withers:
- West Siberian weight about 18-23 kg. Growing males 53-58 cm, in females is almost the same, except that there are individuals with a height of 52 cm.
- The Yakut are somewhat heavier, the weight of males is in the range of 23-30 kg, height is 53-56 cm, in bitches - 52-55 cm.
- The weight of the East Siberian variety is the same as that of the West Siberian, but the height is somewhat higher - it varies between 56-64, and both in females and males.
- Russian-European have a body weight of not more than 23 kg. The growth of males is 53-58 cm, bitches - slightly less than 48-56 cm.
- The smallest in the subgroup are Karelian-Finnish huskies. The weight of the male is only 12-13 kg, height 42-48 cm, females and even less - 7-10 kg, with growth of 40-46 cm.
Among the common features of the structure are the following:
- Wedge-shaped head.
- The ears are triangular with pointed ends, in adult dogs, as a rule, are in a standing position.
- The tail is twisted into a ring.
- The coat is characterized by a thick, soft, well-developed undercoat. The rest of the wool is a hard guard hair, especially in the area of the head, ears and paws. In the neck area, the coat turns into a rich collar.
- All huskies have a strong build with pronounced musculature.
- By posture, we can say that these are graceful and proud dogs.
Despite their love of freedom and independence, likes are submissive and loyal to their owner. They have no manifestations of arrogance, but as slaves they do not behave. Justice is very much appreciated, and in the absence of such, they can show their discontent with the owner.
Due to his excessive curiosity, not being on a leash while walking, a pet can run long distances. If the subject of hunting belongs to small game - squirrel, weasel, marten, etc., then the dogs behave in a standard way - with the help of smell they detect the beast, watch it, press it and deliver it to the hunter.
When hunting for larger game, the dogs bark at the beast, try to detain it, that is, they do everything so that the owner can find out where the beast is hiding. Fearlessness in the blood of the huskies, and they can, without doubting for a second, risk their own lives. Two more tasks that huskies perform perfectly - guard and guard.
They are aggressive only in case of real danger, in this situation they can show their amazing strength. Likes are good for all family members and especially for children. They calmly react to the arrival of guests, showing no joy or malice. But all the time they keep the situation under control, and if anything, they are able to react quickly.
Due to the abundant coat, huskies feel great in the cold and can sleep even in a snowdrift. But the heat they do not really like. All this suggests that huskies are rather street content than apartment dogs. It is best to keep them in an open aviary, there they will really be comfortable.
Likes - dogs are very active and need daily long runs, during which you need to do with your pets and let them do various exercises. They should be released in open space, away from the roadway. Without the necessary exercise, the dog will be anxious.
See also: how to call likes .
Husky puppy cost
Before the acquisition is to determine for what purpose the dog is purchased. If for work - hunting and protection, then you can buy a puppy without documents, but from working parents. In this case, the dog may be inferior in external characteristics, but possess the required skills. If the goal is to breed and participate in exhibitions, then there is no way to do without documentation.
A puppy of a Russian-European husky with developed fishing skills from parents, but without pedigree you can buy for 2000-10000 rubles. With the pet documents will cost several times more expensive - from 10,000 to 40,000 rubles. East Siberian Laika costs 4000-5000 without documents and from 10,000 to 20,000 with them. Puppies of other species can be bought for 3000-5000, and twice as expensive with pedigree.
Buying a husky, it is worth remembering that, despite its cute appearance, it is a serious animal that requires a special approach and is not a decorative pet. Laika needs a permanent job, without which she herself can find entertainment, which is far from being always suitable.