Laikas are a common name for amazing dogs with similarities. Once upon a time in the north, these dogs were the only transport, and what kind of hunting could do without the help of husky ... Being exclusively working dogs, they became owners of an amazing nature and are still used for their intended purpose.
- История происхождения породы 1. History of the origin of the breed
- Виды лаек 2. Types of Laeks
- Описание породы лайка 3. Description of the Laika breed
- Особенности характера 4. Characteristics of the character
- Видео о лайке 5. Video about the kid
- Стоимость щенка лайки 6. The cost of a puppy like husky
History of the origin of the breed
Surprisingly, there is practically no information on how the development and further division of rocks occurred. Researchers attribute this to the fact that in the northern regions there has never been much attention to these animals, and no one has been engaged in special breeding. They lived for centuries with a person, they performed important work, including being partners, but they never demanded special treatment for themselves. However, the name "husky" dogs were given not so long ago. Before that, they were called "witty", "courtyard", or "northern" dogs.
The oldest of all the images of dogs of this variety is the fresco of a temple belonging to the period of Ancient Kiev Rus. Even then, the performance characteristics of these dogs did not go unnoticed. As for the European west, hunting was considered a game of aristocracy, and in the north and the territory of Siberia it was referred to the leading fishery that helps people survive in harsh climatic conditions.
The first breeding work from the end of the 19th century. was conducted by hunting cynologists G. Poplavsky, M.G. Dmitrieva-Sulima and Prince AA Shirinsky-Shikhmatov. It was these felinologists who were engaged in the propagation of the breed, classified varieties of Laikas, created several large nurseries. The result of their travels to the northern regions was the acquisition of the best "witches" available to local residents.
In the 25th year of the 20th century the first representatives of the breed were approved, which in three years became worthy participants of the First All-Union Exhibition, and this became an important impetus in the spread of pedigree pets in the hunting environment. During the Patriotic War, the Laika were used for driving, searching for mines and mining. At the end of the Great Patriotic War in Russia there were more than 6 dozen nurseries engaged in breeding dogs intended for hunting, including the likes.
In the late 40's several breed standards appeared, however, this was a temporary measure. They were received by Fino-Karelian, Khantei, Mansi and Zyryan Laika.
Types of Laeks
There are three types: riding, they are polar, hunting and shepherds:
- Shepherds and husky . The ancestor of the shepherd's breed was the Nenets husky, which is a relative of the Lapon Laika, which is widespread throughout the Scandinavian Peninsula. If we describe the Nenets husky, then we are talking about a small, compact long-haired dog. We used pedigree pets as helpers of shepherds, for the purpose of hunting for waterfowl, small animals and for larger game, including bear. Breeders noted that when crossed hay-shepherds and hunters, the offspring had an excessively pronounced instinct for hunting, akin to "wildness" (this was expressed in uncontrolled pursuit of wild animals, bullying and devouring game). Such a result of crossing has also negatively affected the quality of the coat, which has become much shorter in offspring and does not protect dogs living in marshy areas.
- Mounted (polar) husky . This is the largest subgroup of Laika, whose main purpose is to transport people. Dogs help out there where there is no traffic, and ends with a traffic junction. People keep dogs full of teams, from 8 to 13 pets. In addition, sled dogs participate in the race of large artiodactyls. When the polar bears had not yet come under the law of protection, the Laikas were also used to hunt this predator. Since representatives of polar laikas are widespread in the giant Siberian territories, there are many varieties of them. However, usually the main character takes the characteristic of a typical dog that inhabits the eastern regions of the North.
- Hunting hounds . These dogs are still considered to be among the hunters, who trade in the northern part of Europe and Asia, the best of hunting weapons. Laiki are wonderful hunter dogs, which in the 19th century they tried to collect in one registry to conduct further breeding activities in order to secure their unique abilities for hunting. At the end of the 19th century, the first edition appeared about the representatives of this breed, which M.G. Dmitrieva-Sulima. The book is based on the generalized experience of the fishermen of the North and the theory of the researchers themselves. It was highly appreciated, and in the 20-th year of the 20th century, V.I. Lenin signed the document - "Decree on hunting", thanks to which a new direction appeared in Soviet cynology.
Description of Laika breed
As already noted, huskies, and all of its breed varieties, have long adapted to living in the North. Local aboriginal peoples also used them to develop unexplored, wild territories. Today, there are many breeds related to huskies:
- West Siberian;
- Yakut and others.
Despite the huge variety of individual breeds, these dogs have common pronounced genetic traits, characteristics of character. Among the differences can be noted color, size and small differences in appearance.
The main feature that is observed in all the laikas is a graceful physique, a love of freedom and a desire for independence. All the pets of this group have strong development of the instincts of the hunter. They are also impeccable, carefully and responsibly guarded.
But with the training of the Laika, there are difficulties, and do not expect them to perform any arena tricks. It is important from the puppy's age to point out to the kid his duties, engage in upbringing and develop a set of rules that the dog should adhere to. Puppies of these breeds need trust and sincerity in dealing with the owner.
The weight of various thoroughbred representatives varies somewhat, as does the height at the withers:
- Weight West Siberian about 18-23 kg. The growth of males is 53-58 cm, in females it is practically the same, except that there are individuals with a height of 52 cm.
- Yakutia is somewhat heavier, the weight of the males is 23-30 kg, height -53-56 cm, in bitches - 52-55 cm.
- The weight of the East Siberian variety is the same as that of the West Siberian one, but the growth is somewhat higher - it varies between 56-64, both in females and males.
- Russian-European have a body weight of not more than 23 kg. The growth of males is 53-58 cm, the bitches are slightly less than 48-56 cm.
- The smallest in the subgroup are the Karelo-Finnish Laika. The weight of the male is only 12-13 kg, height 42-48 cm, females and even less - 7-10 kg, with growth of 40-46 cm.
Among the general features of the structure, the following can be noted:
- Cuneiform head shape.
- Ears triangular with pointed ends, in adult dogs, as a rule, are in a standing position.
- The tail of the suite is in a ringlet.
- The coat is characterized by a thick, soft, well-developed undercoat. The rest of the wool is a hard outer hair, especially noticeable in the area of the head, ears and paws. In the region of the neck, the coat turns into a rich collar.
- All the husky have a strong constitution with pronounced musculature.
- On a posture it is possible to tell, that these graceful and proud dogs.
Characteristics of character
Despite freedom and independence, husky differ submission and devotion to their owner. They have no arrogance, but they do not behave like slaves. Very appreciate justice, and in the absence of such can show their displeasure to the owner.
Because of his excessive curiosity, while not being on a leash on a leash, the pet can escape for long distances. If the object of hunting refers to small game - squirrel, weasel, marten, etc., then dogs behave as standard - with the help of the sense of smell they discover the beast, watch it, press it down and deliver it to the hunter.
When hunting for larger game, dogs are engaged in barking out the beast, trying to detain it, that is, they do everything so that the owner can find out where the beast lurked. Fearless in the blood of Laika, and they can, without doubting for a second, risk their own lives. Two more tasks that husky perform perfectly - security and watchdog.
They are aggressive only in case of real danger, in this situation they can show their amazing power. Laiki are good for all family members and especially for children. They calmly react to the arrival of guests, without showing either joy or anger. But they keep the situation under control all the time, and if anything, they can react quickly.
Because of the abundant coat, huskies feel great in the cold and can sleep even in a snowdrift. But they do not like the heat very much. All this suggests that huskies - dogs are more of a street content than an apartment. It is best to keep them in an open-air cage, where they will really feel comfortable.
Laiki - dogs are very active and need daily long walks, during which it is necessary to engage with pets and give them various exercises. They should be released in an open space, away from the roadway. Without the necessary physical exertion, the dog will be anxious.
Read also: how to name the husky .
Video about the kid
Cost of puppy husky
Before buying it is necessary to decide for what purposes the dog is purchased. If for work - hunting and protection, then the puppy can be bought without documents, but from working parents. In this case, the dog may yield in terms of external characteristics, but possess the required skills. If the goal - breeding and participation in exhibitions, then no documentation can not do.
A puppy of the Russian-European husky with developed commercial qualities from parents, but without a pedigree you can buy for 2000-10000 rubles. With documents the pet will cost times more expensive - from 10,000 to 40,000 rubles. East Siberian Laika costs 4000-5000 without documents and from 10,000 to 20,000 with them. A puppy of other varieties can be bought for 3000-5000, and twice as expensive with a pedigree.
Buying husky, it is worth remembering that, despite its cute appearance, this is a serious animal, which requires a special approach and is not a decorative pet. Laika needs constant work, without which she will find entertainment, which is far from always suitable.