Xoloitzcuintli (shoolointqintli) - Mexican naked dogs are the representatives of the oldest hairless breed, which fell in love with the dog breeders of not only warm countries, but also territories with a rather cool climate. Domestic owners and breeders of these unique dogs call them shortly - xolo or sholo, and are genuinely sure that dogs do not exist better. What could these Mexican guests have been able to bribe the dog breeders around the world?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы ксолоитцкуинтли 2. Description of the breed Xoloitzcuintle
- Окрасы и шерсть 3. Colors and wool
- Характер 4. Nature
- Дрессировка 5. Training
- Уход и здоровье 6. Care and health
- Болезни 7. Diseases
- Кормление 8. Feeding
- Содержание 9. Table of contents
- Фото ксолоитцкуинтли 10. Photos of xoloitzcuintle
- Видео о ксолоитцкуинтли 11. Videos about ksoloytskuintli
- Где купить щенка 12. Where to buy a puppy
Origin of the breed
The uniqueness of this breed lies in the fact that its age-old formation took place without the participation of man, solely on the basis of natural selection. It is almost impossible to pinpoint the cause of the appearance of bald animals, but it is associated with a spontaneous genetic mutation.
Archaeologists managed to find confirmation that the ancestors of the Xolo had entered the territory of the American continent together with the first migrants crossing the isthmus of the Bering Strait.
The complex name of the breed is taken from the Aztec language and in translation means "the dog of the god Xolotl" - the master of life and death. It was he who, according to legend, sent these unusual dogs to the ground so that they could protect people from harm, and after death brought them to the gates of the afterlife. The funeral procedure ended with the killing of Xolo and the ritual eating of her flesh.
Of course, today such an event is somewhat discouraging, but it also confirms that for ancient people xolo were sacred animals, the gift of God. At home, in Mexico, the representatives of this breed are referred to national assets.
Description of breed Xoloitzcuintle
Nature endowed the Mexican naked dog with a very beautiful and harmonious physique. There are 3 breed varieties:
- that of an increase from 22 to 27 cm, weigh from 2 to 6 kg;
- dwarf - growth from 37 to 45 cm, weigh from 7 to 12 kg;
- standard - an increase from 45 to 62 cm, weigh from 13 to 19 kg.
In females the body is somewhat longer than in males, which is due to the subsequent feeding of puppies. The standard gives the following description of the breed:
- The skull of xolo is similar in form to the wolf, but it has more elegant lines. The head has a flat forehead, pronounced transition to the muzzle, the back of the head slightly protrudes, the jaws are strong, slightly narrowed.
- Muzzle with a smooth back of the nose, strong, with well-developed muscles, flat cheeks and "dry", well-fitting lips.
- Teeth strong, white, only the right bite is allowed. Also, the standard permits the absence of molar teeth - premolars and / or molars. Even individuals that do not have teeth completely are considered purebred, but they are undesirable to use in divorce work.
- The nose is rectangular, well developed, the shade of the lobe depends on the color, the black dog is black, the light - brown or pink, the spotted individuals may have partial pigmentation.
- Eyes are medium, almond-shaped, with dense eyelids, pigmented gray or brownish hue. If they are partially painted, then this is attributed to flaws. The color of the iris is also associated with color, but the darkest color is preferable. Heterochromia is not allowed.
- Auricles of a natural kind, are in a standing condition, large. When Xolo is interested, they rise slightly and turn forward.
- The body of the sholo is slightly elongated, the neck with an elegant bend, but well muscled, with a high post. In puppies, the neck is covered with wrinkles, but in adult dogs this phenomenon is attributed to vices.
- The sternum descends to the level of the elbows, not barrel-shaped, and the flattened ribs are vice. In dogs, weakly expressed areas of the nape and withers, the back is straight, even, of decent width.
- The loin is strong, short, passes into a sloping croup, the inguinal line is well chosen, perfectly emphasizes the silhouette of the animal.
- The limbs are even, muscular, well-balanced, physically strong. Joints are guided back, any deformation, distortion is the reason for disqualification. Brushes of limbs resemble hare, the shade of claws and pads depends on the colors. Probably, there are dewclaws, but they must be removed.
- The tail is slightly thick at the base, towards the end it goes to a narrowing. While moving, the dog carries it high, when the dog is calm, it descends to the level of the hock joint. If the dog has a tail hiding between the hind legs, it means that he is somewhat frightened, at the exhibition for this the estimates are reduced. In xolo, it has bristles on several sites, and the tip is bent saber-like, but not in the form of a "donut".
Any representative of this breed can get a "zero" pedigree after assessing the standard match. This is not only allowed, but also welcomed, which is directly related to the small number of the breed.
Colors and wool
Despite the fact that xoloitzcuintle bald dogs, they still have a little woolly covering - a few hairs on the tail and limbs. The presence of a tuft is allowed, but the wool must be exceptionally stiff.
If the dog completely lacks wool, then this is not considered a disadvantage, but the downy animals are discarded from breeding. In addition, litters are also present in litters, the skin of which is completely covered by smooth, dense, soft fur.
Y xolo soft, smooth skin, velvet to the touch. Preferred monochrome colors, which can range from black to gray tones and from reddish to yellow. Allowed spotty color, as well as whitish marks or devoid of pigmentation.
Representatives of a large standard species of breed can use as guards, but more often xolo are given in the role of companion dogs. Even antiquity was thought that xolo can protect the dwelling from evil spirits and people with bad thoughts.
They are able to carry out guard duty, notifying the owners that strangers are approaching. And they do not use loud, barking barking for this, but active, fussy behavior. Due to their calm and considerate temperament, these dogs are successfully used for therapeutic purposes.
Xolo is very attached to all family members, especially to children. Easily find a common language with other pets, but have a natural distrust of strangers.
It is important that in the training and education of the pet involved the whole family, this will allow the dog to grow calm and sociable. If only one person does it, then he will become more attached to him.
Xoloitzcuintli is happy to accompany his master everywhere and in this case feel most comfortable. This desire to participate in all events makes the animal somewhat obtrusive. Owners are encouraged to use all the possibilities of joint pastime, then the pet will be cheerful and happy.
Unfortunately, some people make the big mistake of starting a puppy xolo, not having enough free time to communicate with him. Such a pet will constantly demand attention and will not be able to be alone all the time. Well, if the house has children who will be great companions for games with his four-legged friend.
If nevertheless there is a big desire to start a bare Mexican dog, then it's worth thinking about that there are two Xolo in the house. They will perfectly get along and entertain each other in the absence of a beloved family.
Representatives of this breed are very smart and are always happy to communicate with their owners, so they are easy to train and train different teams. But the owners should be firm and the quality of the leader. Otherwise, in the future, the occurrence of behavioral problems.
These bald dogs are understandable and have an excellent memory, so with the development of simple commands no problems arise. To be engaged in training and education of the pet follows at once, as soon as the puppy crosses the threshold of the house. He must know his place, do not give a voice without a reason for this, respond and approach the owner, having heard his nickname.
Unskilled Xoloitzcuintle can become a real disaster, in addition, his uncontrollable behavior and excessive curiosity can harm the dog himself.
Sometimes there are overly aggressive individuals, this behavior must necessarily be suppressed. You can not allow pet fights with other dogs, as his tender skin is fairly easily damaged, and there are unattractive scars that can not be covered.
Care and health
Regardless of the size, the breed requires minimal maintenance. Downy xolo should be combed several times a week, using a brush suitable for soft wool. Bathing pets infrequently, especially carefully to do it should be in the winter, excluding finding the animal in a draft. With minor dirt, you can wipe the skin of the pet with a soft damp cloth.
Xolo must regularly brush his teeth and, as he grows, cut off his claws. Frequent washing, uncontrolled selection and improper care lead to the disappearance of protective grease, which disrupts the functioning of the skin layer. Therefore, the skin of bare "Mexicans" requires additional outgoing activities.
It should be protected against the sun, especially areas that do not have a pigment, sun rays can leave burns on it. To do this, before walking, you must apply a special protective agent - cream or lotion with a UV filter.
Another nuance - if the care is wrong, the pet may have sagged ears. To ears up, in some cases, the owners stick cartilage. In this case, the advice of a professional is required.
Given that the selection of the breed took place in natural conditions, without outside interference, it is not surprising that xolo have good health. However, they can develop diseases:
- dermatitis - the result of improper care or nutrition;
- allergies - in dogs of this breed there is a tendency for them;
- easily traumatized, often this happens during active games with brothers.
The peculiarity of dogs is that they sweat through their paws, so if the skin on the body is covered with an unpleasant smell of plague, you should seek advice from a veterinarian.
Due to the inclination of xolo to allergic manifestations, the owners should take a closer look at what and how much their four-legged friend eats. The diet should be carefully selected, gradually introducing new products. With natural feeding, it should be borne in mind that the following foods provoke allergy:
- a fish;
But this does not mean that they will necessarily cause a negative reaction in the pet. It should be given to their dog in small quantities, including in the menu only one product from the above. If the next day no changes have arisen, you can offer him a new meal in a couple of days.
From a number of products and dishes should be discarded, since they are harmful to the animal and do not meet the needs of the canine organism:
- fatty, overdue, spoiled food;
- products containing artificial additives - flavors, dyes, taste enhancers, etc .;
- Smoked meat, salted salmon, spicy dishes;
- food containing a large amount of carbohydrates;
- dishes from potatoes.
It should be borne in mind that dogs are carnivorous animals, which means that most of their diet - at least 70%, should consist of meat and offal. Raw meat is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it can be given in this form, previously cut into pieces. It is recommended to pre-cook the by-products.
The owner, stopping his choice on natural feeding, should understand that in addition it will be necessary to give vitamins to the pet. What kind of pet is needed and in what dosage, the veterinarian will tell.
When choosing the same commercial feed, it should be noted that the most nutritious and useful are products related to the premium and super-premium class. They are chosen based on the size, age, activity of the pet.
Xoloitzcuintle is prone to overeating, which leads to obesity, so it is important to monitor the amount of servings. In addition, you need to provide the pet with the necessary amount of drinking water, to which the pet should have round-the-clock access.
Xolo is an exceptionally domestic dog, not suitable for living in a yard or aviary. Representatives of this breed is recommended to start people suffering from allergies, in addition, they do not have a specific smell of dog.
Such a pet needs its own place, equipped with a mat or mat. To equip it should be away from drafts and heating devices. If the house is cold, then the bare dog may need a blanket or a blanket.
Photo of xoloitzcuintle
Where to buy a puppy
Mexican naked dog in some countries is very popular, but, unfortunately, in Russia it is not so common. Perhaps this is due to a cool climate and a low awareness of people about the peculiarities of this peculiar breed. There is only one kennel in Moscow "Sonderwol Legend" https://www.sonderwol.com/xoloitzcuintli/, in which you can pick up a vintage puppy.
But still, according to statistics, the number of xolo increases, and more and more nurseries and breeders are engaged in breeding them. In addition, more and more often, individuals from Mexico and European countries with high value are born. To get a puppy of this rare breed is desirable for professionals, especially if an animal is required for a subsequent exhibition career.
Xoloitzcuintli is an exotic animal, which is not left without attention on the street. But to buy a dog only because of its unusual exterior is not worth it, Xolo requires a lot of attention and becomes almost a member of the family.