Xoloitzcuintle (sholointkuintli) - Mexican hairless dogs are representatives of the oldest hairless breed, who fell in love with dog breeders not only warm countries, but also areas with a fairly cool climate. Domestic owners and breeders of these unique doggies are abbreviated as Xolo or Sholo, and they sincerely believe that there is no better dog. What are these Mexican guests were able to bribe dog breeders around the world?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы ксолоитцкуинтли 2. Description of the Xoloitzcuintle breed
- Окрасы и шерсть 3. Colors and wool
- Характер 4. Character
- Дрессировка 5. Training
- Уход и здоровье 6. Care and health
- Болезни 7. Diseases
- Кормление 8. Feeding
- Содержание 9. Content
- Фото ксолоитцкуинтли 10. Photos of Xoloitzcuintle
- Видео о ксолоитцкуинтли 11. Video about Xoloitzcuintle
- Где купить щенка 12. Where to buy a puppy
The uniqueness of this breed lies in the fact that its century-old formation took place without human participation, solely on the basis of natural selection. It is almost impossible to find out exactly the cause of the appearance of bald animals, but it is associated with a spontaneous genetic mutation.
Archaeologists have been able to find confirmation that the ancestors of Xolo fell into the territory of the Americas along with the first migrants who crossed the Bering Strait isthmus.
The difficultly pronounced name of the breed is taken from the Aztec language and means “dog of God Xolotl” - the lord of life and death. It was he who, according to legends, sent these unusual dogs to the ground so that they would become the protectors of people from harm, and after their death they would lead them to the gates of the afterlife. The funeral procedure ended with the killing of xolo and the ritual eating of its flesh.
Of course, today such an event is somewhat discouraging, but it also confirms that for ancient people xolo were sacred animals, a gift from God. At home, in Mexico, representatives of this breed are classified as national treasures.
Description of the Xoloitzcuintle breed
Nature gave the Mexican hairless dog a very beautiful and harmonious physique. There are 3 breed varieties:
- that - height from 22 to 27 cm, weigh from 2 to 6 kg;
- dwarf - height from 37 to 45 cm, weigh from 7 to 12 kg;
- Standard - height from 45 to 62 cm, weigh from 13 to 19 kg.
In females, the body is somewhat longer than in males, due to subsequent feeding of puppies. The standard gives the following description of the representatives of the breed:
- The skull of the xolo is similar in shape to the wolf, but has more graceful lines. The head has a flat forehead, a pronounced transition in the face, the back of the head stands out weakly, the jaws are strong, slightly narrowed.
- Muzzle with a smooth back of the nose, strong, with well-developed muscles, flat cheeks and "dry", well-fitting lips.
- Teeth strong, white, allowed only the right bite. The standard also permits the absence of molars - premolars and / or molars. Even individuals with no teeth are considered purebred, but they are undesirable to use in breeding work.
- The nose is rectangular in shape, well developed, the hue of the lobe depends on the color, it is black in a dark dog, brown or pink in a light dog, and partial pigmentation is possible in spotted individuals.
- The eyes are medium, almond-shaped, with dense eyelids, pigmented with a gray or brownish tinge. If they are partially painted, then this is considered a disadvantage. The color of the iris is also associated with the color, but preferably the darkest color. Heterochromia is not allowed.
- Auricles of a natural look, are in a standing condition, large. When Xolo is interested, they rise a little and turn forward.
- The body of shool is slightly elongated, the neck with an elegant curve, but well muscled, with a high position. In puppies, the neck is covered with folds, but in adult dogs this phenomenon is referred to as vices.
- The sternum falls to the level of the elbows, not barrel-shaped, also the flattened ribs are a defect. Dogs have weakly expressed areas of the neck and withers, the back is straight, even, of decent width.
- The loin is strong, short, goes into a sloping croup, the inguinal line is well chosen, perfectly emphasizes the silhouette of the animal.
- Limbs smooth, muscular, harmoniously set, physically strong. Joints are sent back, any deformation, distortion cause disqualification. Brushes of limbs resemble hare, the shade of claws and pads depends on colors. It is possible the presence of dewclaws, but they must be removed.
- The tail at the base is slightly thickish, but at the end it is narrowed. While moving, the dog carries him high, and when the dog is calm, he sinks to the level of the hock. If a dog has a tail hiding between its hind legs, then it means that it is frightened by something, at an exhibition for this the ratings are reduced. In Xolo, it has stubble in several areas, and the tip is curved saber-like, but not in the form of a “donut”.
Any member of this breed can get a “zero” pedigree after evaluating the standard match. This is not only allowed, but also welcomed, which is directly related to the small number of the breed.
Colors and wool
Despite the fact that the Xoloitzcuintle is a bald dog, they still have a little coat - some hairs on the tail and limbs. The presence of a tuft is allowed, but the wool must be exceptionally stiff.
If the dog is completely absent in hair, this is not considered a disadvantage, but downy individuals are rejected from breeding. In addition, litters also contain downy puppies, the skin of which is completely covered by a smooth, dense, soft coat.
Xolo has a soft, smooth skin, velvet to the touch. Preferred monochrome colors, which can vary from black to gray and from reddish to yellow. The spotty color is allowed, as well as whitish markings or depigmentation.
Representatives of a large standard type of breed can be used as guards, but more often xolo lead in the role of companion dogs. Even antiquity was believed that xolo can protect the home from evil spirits and people with bad thoughts.
They are able to carry guard duty, notifying the owners that approaching aliens. And they use not loud, barky bark for this, but active, fussy behavior. Due to their calm and attentive temperament, such doggies are successfully used for therapeutic purposes.
Xolo is very attached to all family members, especially to children. It is easy to find a common language with other pets, but they have a natural distrust of strangers.
It is important that the whole family participate in the training and upbringing of the pet, this will allow the dog to grow calm and sociable. If only one person is engaged in it, then Xolo will become more attached to it.
Xoloitzcuintla is happy to accompany his master everywhere and in this case they feel as comfortable as possible. Such a desire to participate in all events makes the animal somewhat obtrusive. Owners are encouraged to use all the possibilities of spending time together, then the pet will be cheerful and happy.
Unfortunately, some people make a big mistake by getting a Xolo puppy without having enough free time to communicate with him. Such a pet will constantly demand attention and will not be able to constantly be alone. It is good if there are children in the house who will become excellent companions for games with their four-legged friend.
If, nevertheless, there is a great desire to have a naked Mexican dog, then you should think about two Xolo living in the house. They will get along well and entertain each other in the absence of a beloved family.
Representatives of this breed are very smart and are always happy to communicate with their owners, so they are easy to train and train different teams. But owners should be hard and quality leader. Otherwise, behavioral problems may occur in the future.
These bald dogs are intelligent and have an excellent memory, so there are no problems with mastering simple commands. It is necessary to be engaged in training and education of the pet as soon as the puppy crosses the threshold of the house. He should know his place, not give a voice for no apparent reason for this, respond and approach the owner after hearing his nickname.
A poorly trained xoloitzcuintle can be a real disaster, and besides, his unmanageable behavior and excessive curiosity can harm the dog itself.
Sometimes there are overly aggressive individuals, such behavior must necessarily be suppressed. Pet fights with other dogs should not be allowed, as its delicate skin is quite easily damaged, and unattractive scars appear on it, which have nothing to cover.
Care and health
Regardless of size, members of the breed require minimal grooming. Down xolo must be brushed a couple of times a week using a brush suitable for soft wool. Bathe pets infrequently, especially careful to do it in winter, excluding the presence of an animal in a draft. With minor contamination, you can wipe the skin of your pet with a soft, damp cloth.
Xolo needs to brush teeth regularly and, as we grow, trim the claws. Frequent washing, uncontrolled selection and improper care lead to the disappearance of the protective fat grease, which disrupts the function of the skin layer. Therefore, the skin of naked "Mexicans" requires additional care measures.
It should be protected from the sun, especially the areas that do not have pigment, the sun's rays can leave burns on it. To do this, before walking you need to apply a special protective agent - cream or lotion with a UV filter.
Another caveat - with improper care from a pet can sag ears. To the ears have risen, in some cases, the owners glue cartilage. In this case, the advice of a professional is required.
Considering that breed selection took place in natural conditions, without outside interference, it is not surprising that Xolo has good health. However, they can develop diseases:
- dermatitis - the result of improper care or nutrition;
- allergies - dogs of this breed have a tendency towards them;
- easily injured, often it happens during active games with fellows.
The peculiarity of dogs is that their sweat comes out through their paws, therefore, if the skin on the body becomes covered with an unpleasant smelling bloom, you should consult a veterinarian.
Because of the tendency of xolo to allergic manifestations, owners should take a closer look at what and in what quantities their four-legged friend eats. The diet should be carefully selected, gradually introducing new products. With natural feeding should be borne in mind that more often allergies provoke the following products:
- a fish;
But this does not mean that they will surely cause a negative reaction in the pet. It should be given to their dog in small quantities, including in the menu only one product of the above. If the next day there are no changes, you can offer him a new food in a couple of days.
From a number of products and dishes should be abandoned, as they are harmful to the animal and do not meet the needs of a canine body:
- greasy, expired, spoiled food;
- products containing artificial additives - flavors, dyes, flavor enhancers, etc .;
- smoked meat, salted foods, spices;
- food containing large amounts of carbohydrates;
- dishes from potatoes.
It should be borne in mind that dogs are carnivorous animals, which means that a large part of their diet, at least 70%, must consist of meat and by-products. Raw meat is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it can be given in this form, pre-cut into pieces. Offal is recommended to boil offal.
The owner, opting for natural feeding, must understand that it will additionally be necessary to give the pet vitamins. What exactly are needed pet and in what dosage, prompt veterinarian.
When selecting a commercial feed, it should be borne in mind that the most nutritious and useful products are related to the premium and super-premium class. They are chosen based on the size, age, activity of the pet.
Xoloitzcuintle prone to overeating, which leads to obesity, so it is important to monitor the volume of portions. In addition, the pet must be provided with the necessary amount of drinking water, to which the pet must have round-the-clock access.
Xolo - exclusively domestic dog, not suitable for living in the courtyard or aviary. Representatives of this breed are encouraged to start people suffering from allergies, in addition, they do not have a specific smell of dog.
Such a pet needs its own place, equipped with a bedding or mattress. Equip it should be away from drafts and heating appliances. If the house is cold, then a bare doggie may need a blanket or blanket.
Video about xoloitzcuintle
Where to buy a puppy
Mexican hairless dogs are very popular in some countries, but, unfortunately, they are not so common in Russia. Perhaps this is due to the cool climate and low awareness of people about the features of this peculiar breed. There is only one nursery in Moscow “Sonderwol Legend” https://www.sonderwol.com/xoloitzcuintli/, where you can pick up a puppy that you like.
But still, according to statistics, the number of xolo increases, and more and more kennels and breeders are involved in their breeding. In addition, individuals from Mexico and European countries that are distinguished by high value are becoming increasingly common. It is desirable to acquire a puppy of this rare breed from professionals, especially if an animal is required for a subsequent show career.
Xoloitzcuintle is an exotic animal that is not neglected outside. But to buy a dog only because of its extraordinary exterior is not worth it, Xolo requires a lot of attention and becomes almost a member of the family.