Blood in the stool in dogs can appear for various reasons. Starting from the mechanical or chemical trauma of the gastrointestinal tract and ending with various diseases. But any reason is a threat to the health and life of the dog, and therefore it is necessary to immediately seek veterinary care if only blood traces are found in the stool.
The causes of the appearance of pathology
Blood in the dog's feces suggests that the bleeding is in the digestive tract. The color of the blood can determine the place where the hearth is located.
If the blood is native - not exposed to digestive enzymes, then it is a bright color - red or scarlet. It can remain unchanged only if the source of bleeding is in the distal parts of the gastrointestinal tract - in the large intestine, rectum or in the anal sphincter region.
It is more difficult to detect the presence of blood in the stool if it has been exposed to enzymes. Such blood has the form of a "coffee grounds", and the source of blood can be located in the esophagus, the initial parts of the intestine, the stomach.
The stool consistency and the amount of blood in it can also become a diagnostic sign of various diseases. So, for example, liquid, abundant feces (diarrhea) with an admixture of blood or a large amount of it can be with the following diseases:
- Parvovirus enteritis - the virus has a narrowly specific direction. It affects only representatives of the family of dog and raccoon. Most often, young dogs and puppies are affected. The virus with food or when sniffing the faeces of a diseased animal enters the dog's mouth, and blood is taken into various organs, including the intestinal mucosa. One of the symptoms of the disease is watery feces with an admixture of blood.
- Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis - the causes of the appearance of this pathology are called different, but one of the signs of the disease is profuse diarrhea, in which feces are colored with red, native blood. In this case, until the appearance of bleeding, other symptoms may not be.
- To cause bloody diarrhea may be some medicinal, chemical or biological substances. For example, the derivatives of coumarin or inanedione, which are part of preparations from rodents, cause abundant diarrhea with blood.
- The plague of carnivores is a deadly disease that is accompanied, among other symptoms, by a diarrhea with bloody contents of scarlet or black.
In addition, traces of blood in stool can be caused by:
- ulcers in the large intestine. 12 duodenum or in the stomach;
- inflammation of the intestine (colitis);
- neoplasms, for example adenocarcinoma of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Addison's disease;
- helminthiases that cause coelenterates, attached to the intestinal mucosa and destroying it;
- mechanical damage;
- hemorrhagic hemorrhage;
- allergic reactions.
The reasons are too many, so that without serious diagnosis it was possible to differentiate the disease.
Methods for diagnosing bleeding
Bleeding of varying intensity leads to anemia, disruption of the supply of tissues, restricts the transfer of oxygen to the organs. Therefore, one of the first tests is a clinical analysis of the dog's blood. In addition, it is assigned:
- analysis of feces for composition and presence of worms;
- biochemical analysis of feces and blood, in order to exclude the infectious nature of pathology;
- coagulogram - to study the function of blood coagulability;
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity;
- gastroduodenoscopy - visual examination of the upper intestine;
- rectokolonoskopiya - study of the lower (distal) parts of the intestine.
The scheme of treatment of bleeding in dogs depends on many factors and is developed depending on the general condition of the animal, the massiveness of blood loss, the localization of the focus and cause.
Methods of treatment of bleeding
First of all, the therapy is aimed at stopping bleeding and restoring blood volume. To do this, use blood transfusion and drugs to stop bleeding.
The drugs used for symptomatic treatment are:
|Drug Group||Name of the drug||Method of administration||Dose|
|Hemostatic drugs||Calcium chloride 10%||Intravenous infusion||5-10 ml|
|Sodium chloride 10%||Intravenous infusion||5-10 ml|
|Aqueous solution of Ichthyol||Intravenous administration||1 ml / 3 kg|
|Vikasol, Dicinon||Intravenous administration (solution), oral (tablets)||0.1 ml / kg 2-3 times a day|
|Mesatone||Intravenous, subcutaneous, intramuscular injection (solution, powder for solution), oral (tablets)||0.002-0.003 g.|
|Preparations for restoration of water-electrolyte balance||Polyglukin||Intravenous infusion||15-20 mg / kg|
|Ringer's solution||Intravenous infusion||Small breeds 100 ml, large - 300-400 ml|
|Solution of Glucose 5%||Intravenous infusion||Small breeds 100 ml, large - 300-400 ml|
|Preparations for anemia||Complex of iron||Intravenous infusion||0.8 mg / 10 kg|
|Imposal, Hemodex, Rubrafer, Ferrett, Ferrodystim||Intravenous infusion||1-2 ml|
After stopping bleeding, the causes of bleeding are treated. To treat infectious pathologies, antibiotics of a wide spectrum of action are used - Amoxicillin, Amoxiclav, Meronem, Imipinem, Levomycetin. Drugs are used only by the prescription of the veterinarian.
For the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases and relief of symptoms of dyspepsia (vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite) apply Kathozal, Coredon, Bifitrilac, Clamoxil LA, Veracol. For normalization, microflora is used - Bactoneotime, Lactobifadol, Lactoferon.
Diet therapy is of great importance in the treatment of bleeding. With the help of products that stimulate blood formation, you can restore the blood formula, stop diarrhea, stimulate the regeneration of the gastrointestinal mucosa and reduce the load on the digestive system.
Blood in the feces is a dangerous symptom, therefore, having noticed blood veins, it is necessary to immediately contact a veterinarian, without waiting for serious consequences.