As in humans, in dogs, the skin is an important organ that performs many functions, it protects the body, holds the temperature, etc. The skin interacts with all internal organs, and quite often, in case of disruption of their activity, signs of malfunction appear on its surface. Red spots on the abdomen of a dog can be both a harmless phenomenon and a symptom of a serious disease, the veterinarian can best figure out the situation.
- Причины появления красного пятна на животе у собаки 1. Causes of the appearance of a red spot on the abdomen in a dog
- Симптомы 2. Symptoms
- Диагностика 3. Diagnostics
- Лечение заболеваний, вызывающих покраснение кожи 4. Treatment of diseases that cause redness of the skin
Causes of the appearance of a red spot on the dog’s stomach
Among the most common conditions accompanied by the appearance of red spots on the skin of animals, the following can be noted:
- allergic dermatitis - occurs for a variety of reasons, more often due to the use of allergenic food or drugs;
- multiple insect bites, feeding poor-quality feed;
- dandruff - the appearance of white flakes on the hair, a whitish coating on the skin is often accompanied by redness of the affected areas; the condition requires treatment, but it is prescribed only after a comprehensive diagnosis;
- the development of helminthic invasion;
- dermatological diseases - non-contagious, of unknown origin (eczema, psoriasis), infectious - lichen, scabies, etc .;
- Streptococcus infection
- plague of animals, etc.
Quite often, a reddish rash on the abdomen occurs against the background of infection of the dog with fleas or ticks, it appears on the site of bites.
In addition, redness on the skin can be a sign of a nervous breakdown. A dog that has undergone stress (being alone for a long time, after changing its owner, after an attack by another animal, etc.) can itch strongly, literally tearing out its coat, and then lick its wounds for a long time. In this situation, the risks of joining a secondary infection entering the body through damaged areas are high.
Red spots in the peritoneum can appear for no apparent reason. Most often, they cause uncomfortable sensations, the dog begins to comb the affected skin.
The rash can cover the skin in other areas, but, as a rule, due to the coat, it cannot be accidentally noticed. Therefore, with spots on the abdomen, it is worthwhile to fully examine the dog. Most pathological disorders in the body cause a range of symptoms, in addition to rashes:
- the dog is anxious and often itches;
- worried about frequent urination;
- the auricles may become inflamed;
- the skin is covered with dandruff;
- bald patches appear, hair can fall out abundantly.
Such signs indicate the presence of the disease, which means that veterinary care is required. It is not recommended to independently treat a pet, since in the case of a bacterial or viral etiology of the disease, the risks of complications are high, up to a fatal outcome.
To rid a pet of an unpleasant phenomenon, it is necessary to find out its causes. For this, the veterinarian conducts a comprehensive diagnostic examination:
- First of all, he examines the animal, including in the area of skin damage;
- the second step is to interview the owner: the owner should clearly answer the questions and describe as accurately as possible the signs of the disease that a pet has;
- a number of urine and blood tests are prescribed;
- for certain signs, a biopsy may be recommended, a test is performed to detect allergies, scraping particles from the affected skin.
In some cases, for example, when fleas are detected, a specialist may prescribe therapy without waiting for the results of the tests.
Watch a video about red spots in a dog:
Treatment of diseases that cause redness of the skin
Therapy directly depends on what caused the appearance of spots:
- Allergy First of all, the contact of the animal with an allergic substance is excluded / limited. At first, it is recommended to feed the pet with a special hypoallergenic diet. A specialist can prescribe drugs with an antihistamine effect.
- Sweating . In the summer hot season, the skin of the dog is able to become covered with a reddish rash. Most often, it appears in the abdomen, auricles, groin, in skin folds. The dog sometimes does not respond to such skin manifestations, but suffers from severe thirst and is excessively lethargic. If the owner does not properly respond to this phenomenon, then the pet has wet scabs, which eventually begin to suppurate and smell bad. To avoid any consequences, care should be taken to ensure that the pet can cool during extreme heat. It is advisable to walk it in the morning and late evening hours, to provide round-the-clock access to clean drinking water. It is recommended that you wipe a dog with skin folds with a cloth moistened with plenty of water. To lubricate areas with a rash, you can use Calamine Lotion or Hydrocortisone Ointment.
- Bites of external parasites . Spots with a bright red hue, in some cases, are the result of parasite bites. The easiest way to take care of preventive measures is to treat the pet in a timely manner with special means or put on a flea-proof collar. If infection does occur, treatment is also required. In addition, if a tick has stuck into the skin, it will need to be removed.
If the owner can cope with the previous conditions of the dog on his own, then in the following cases, mandatory veterinary care is required:
- Pathogenic fungal infection . With these infections in the dog, the inguinal part and the bottom of the peritoneum are covered with reddish spots. The dog is anxious in the process of emptying the bladder and violently combes the affected area. Without treatment, redness changes into ulcerations, also affecting the pillows of the paws, nose, nose, and mucous membranes. Pathogenic fungi are insidious pathogens, therefore it is not recommended to treat the disease on their own. The veterinarian prescribes a suitable antifungal agent according to the results of a diagnostic examination (blood and smear test). Before the veterinarian examines the pet, the affected area can be treated with a weak solution of Chlorhexidine or Miramistin.
- Ringworm . The disease is accompanied by the appearance of round red spots with smooth edges in the abdomen. In addition, in the hyperemic areas, the hair completely drops out, and the pet begins to become very worried and constantly itchy. The first and only thing required of the owner is to isolate the infected animal, as ringworm is a contagious disease. The rest will be done by a veterinarian - he will diagnose and in case of positive results he will prescribe drugs with antifungal and immunomodulatory effects.
- Folliculitis . The causative agent of infection is staphylococcus, which is localized in the hair follicles and follicles. In addition, hypothyroidism often causes pathology. More often it is a secondary disease, usually affecting pets with short hair. When a dog becomes infected, reddish papules appear on the stomach and groin. Wool is removed from the affected areas and treated with solutions with an antibacterial effect. After, after identifying the root cause of folliculitis, the veterinarian prescribes suitable antibiotics or antiseptics for local use.
- Tumor formation . If the palpation of the reddened area feels compaction, then most likely the animal has developed a tumor. First of all, a doctor with a biopsy determines whether it is a malignant or benign formation, and only after that prescribes a treatment regimen. In cancer, the pet will have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy.
Redness in the abdomen of the fourth friend, even if they are not signs of the disease, can cause him unpleasant sensations. Therefore, in any case, they require attention, and often the help of a specialist.