Dogs, like people, can get sick, including skin ailments. And if the animal has lesions on the skin, the owners, first of all, suspect that it is deprive. However, this is not the only disease that can develop in a pet. Certain diseases can be transmitted to humans, while others are purely canine. What can provoke skin diseases in dogs and how to recognize if the disease is dangerous or not?
- Причины кожных болезней у собак 1. Causes of skin diseases in dogs
- Кожные патологии, связанные с иммунной системой 2. Skin pathologies associated with the immune system
- Дерматиты различного генеза 3. Dermatitis of various origins
- Дерматиты, вызванные грибком 4. Dermatitis caused by fungus
- Кожные заболевания, вызванные клещами 5. Skin diseases caused by ticks
- Профилактика кожных болезней у собак 6. Prevention of skin diseases in dogs
Causes of skin diseases in dogs
Among the most common factors contributing to the development of skin ailments, we can note the following:
- Incorrect food. If the dog food does not contain the proper amount of vitamins and trace elements , this will have a detrimental effect on the general condition of the animal, including on the skin. When choosing a diet, it is advisable to consult an experienced breeder or veterinarian.
- Negative influence of the external environment. A dog living in a city breathing polluted air, walking in winter without a blanket, which would protect the pet from chemical reagents, is unlikely to have healthy skin. But if the dog is not taken out at all, it will also negatively affect its skin.
- Hereditary diseases. Some breeds of dogs ( Bordeaux dog , chow-chow , bulldog, poodle, etc.) have a predisposition to skin inflammation.
Skin pathologies associated with the immune system
Recently, not only in humans, but also in animals, autoimmune diseases are becoming more and more common, as well as many different allergic manifestations . Most often, such ailments suffer from representatives of small breeds, besides many of them have a hereditary predisposition to them.
The most common disease of this type can be called atopic dermatitis . This, in its essence, the body's response to external stimuli - flowering plants, allergenic food, medications and other substances that surround us.
The incidence rate of this disease is quite high, it affects about 15% of all dogs, regardless of their breed, age and physiology.
It is important not to confuse atopic dermatitis with a common allergic reaction. It, first of all, is characterized by the formation of inflamed skin areas, occupying a large area and practically not healing.
On the sides of the dog, abdomen, and later all over the body appear bald spots with flaky skin, it is often possible to observe vesicles filled with turbid purulent exudate. In this inflammation develops quickly enough, and the disease penetrates into deeper layers of the epidermis.
On the background of atopic dermatitis, diseases caused by pathogenic fungi can appear. Diagnosis of this disease is a very difficult task, therefore, in case of symptoms, immediately consult a qualified veterinarian.
Dermatitis of various origins
Inflammation of the skin can be caused by a variety of irritants. There is the following classification of the disease:
- dermatitis of an allergic nature, including flea;
- traumatic dermatitis - appears if the skin is for a long time affected by any negative factor;
- an inflammatory process that affects the folds of the skin - dogs with excess skin are susceptible - chow-chow, mastino neapolitano, shar pei, bulldogs.
The first in the list is flea dermatitis, since the infection with fleas in dogs is not a rare phenomenon. Digging into the skin, these parasites, together with saliva, start harmful substances into the animal's body. The organism naturally reacts to such an intrusion - the bites swell, redness appears, and the temperature may rise. In most cases, the dog combs itching bites, which leads to the appearance of abscesses, that is, purulent dermatitis.
Also, contact types of the disease are often encountered, in which inflammation occurs when irritants enter the skin. Most often, the lesion is localized in the abdomen.
If we talk about dermatitis, which affects the skin folds, then the initial stage of the disease is very difficult to detect. Initially, folds appear minor diaper rash, which later penetrates the infection, and affected areas of the skin begin to rot. In this case, you can feel the unpleasant odor emanating from the animal, the dog becomes sluggish, the body temperature increases significantly. As soon as this disease is discovered, it is important, as soon as possible, to deliver the sick pet to the veterinarian, since the percentage of deaths with dermatitis of skin folds is high enough.
Dermatitis caused by fungus
If you delve into the details, then there are several forms of similar dermatitis, which are combined into one group - dermatomycosis.
Trichophytosis - dermatitis caused by pathogenic fungi, occurs more often than others and is best known as "ringworm." This disease from a dog can get infected and a person. Carriers are not only infected animals, but also insect-bloodsuckers. The disease can affect dogs of all breeds and sizes, but it is most easily transmitted to pets with short fur.
Among the main symptoms can be identified as follows:
- on the body appear round spots, asymmetrically located;
- the surface of the affected areas is peeling off, forming a "cigarette ash" on the surface;
- In places where the disease is localized, concentric circles are formed.
Treatment of fungal dermatitis is quite complicated and should be prescribed only by a veterinarian. Therapy is complex and includes the following stages:
- introduction of vaccine preparations, for example, Wakderm;
- external application of ointments, the agent Yam is most often prescribed;
- the administration of an antifungal Griseofulvin, which is very toxic, so the exact dosage is very important.
It is worth remembering that if a sick animal lives in an apartment, then all the room, bedding, clothes and household items must be disinfected, since the fungus can live for a long time outside the carrier, waiting for a suitable candidate.
Skin diseases caused by ticks
Among the ailments caused by parasites of the smallest size, the most famous is demodecosis. Kleshchiki intensively multiply, forming giant colonies on the territory of the hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Adult individuals feed on living cells of the body, and their larvae are dead remnants.
Diagnosis of the disease is not difficult, because it is accompanied by sufficiently bright specific symptoms:
- the skin in the lesions is hyperemic;
- appear bald patches;
- skin is covered with scales;
- with further development of the disease appear scabies, the skin is eroded;
- there is a large number of vesicles with purulent contents.
In most cases, the dog is affected by the skin in the head region.
Veterinarians and doctors still have not figured out what is causing demodicosis - some believe that it is transmitted by contact with an infected individual, others that there are mites everywhere, and a pet with a weakened immune system becomes ill.
Practice shows that both theories have a right to exist, since the disease passes in two forms:
- Focal - on the body there are several foci (3-4). In this situation, there are often cases of self-healing, provided additional immunity is strengthened.
- Generalized - the body is covered with multiple injuries, which subsequently capture the entire surface of the body. In this case, the probability of general intoxication of the body is high. The mites, penetrating deeper and deeper, can appear on internal organs.
Treatment of the second form is carried out only in clinical settings. Therapy is lengthy, expensive and at the same time there is a high risk of recurrence.
Prevention of skin diseases in dogs
Of course, to protect from all the misfortunes of pets will not work, but still you can significantly reduce the risks of infection. What can be done for this?
- provide the dog with adequate nutrition;
- in periods of off-season, with weakened health and other situations, give the pet vitamin complexes;
- do not allow the dog to communicate with stray kinsmen;
- monitor the skin and overall health of the pet;
- keep the dog clean, wash and clean the hair in time.
If you adhere to these simple rules, then it is possible to protect your pet from any scourge, especially from skin ailments.