The Chinese crested dog, perhaps, one of the most original breeds among four-legged. The very appearance of representatives with a fluffy fur coat and without it causes amazement. It looks fragile and defenseless - inside these are lions who will protect their owner from the last forces. Who are these original, as if extraterrestrial, creatures?
- История происхождения породы 1. The history of the origin of the breed
- Описание породы китайская хохлатая 2. Description of the Chinese Crested breed
- Окрасы китайской хохлатой 3. Colors Chinese Crested
- Характер китайской хохлатой собаки 4. The nature of the Chinese crested dog
- Как ухаживать за хохлатой 5. How to care for the crested
- Фото китайской хохлатой собаки 6. Photo of a Chinese Crested Dog
- Видео о китайской хохлатой 7. Video about Chinese Crested
- Стоимость хохлатого китайского щенка 8. Cost of a Chinese Crested Puppy
The origin of the breed
Although, from where exactly the crested came to us is not established, scientists have good reason to believe that it belongs to the oldest breeds. There is an assumption that most hairless dogs are from Africa. Similar animals to this day are found in the subtropics and have names, depending on the geography - in Mexico it is a naked Mexican dog, in Peru - Peruvian, in Egypt - Egyptian.
In the years 900-1200 AD bare dogs turned out to be a special honor. They were assigned to 10 symbols of the Kingdom of the god Ketsakoatl, they personified love and goodness. Even then, the love of these extraordinary creatures for their owners was considered by people to be a manifestation of the most disinterested feeling. They were also used as hot-water bottles, letting in under a blanket, where the dogs were laid along the human body and transferred their heat to it.
And the Indians from ancient tribes believed that hairless pets have healing properties. By the way, modern tribes have not lost this faith and believe that the little dogs help with toothache, colic, rheumatism, paralysis, and all sorts of pain in the joints and spine.
It is not known for certain when exactly these amazing creatures penetrated Chinese territory, but there is evidence that during the Han dynasty (206-220 BC), they were already engaged in breeding here.
For centuries, it is believed that bare dogs symbolized the welfare and prosperity of nobles from China. In the 16th century, these dogs were taken to research and trading vessels, which led to the penetration of this breed in other countries.
Researchers from Spain left behind information that they had met with similar animals in America, both in the south and in the north. Travelers from England and France also saw bare dogs in the early 19th century in African and Asian countries. By the end of the 19th century, in many books and manuscripts of Europe there is information about these strange doggies that do not have hair.
However, recent archaeological research suggests that Mexico and Central America are the birthplace of hairless dogs, and it was from here that they migrated to other continents later. On the island of Yucatan and Central America during the excavation of the Mayan settlements, pottery was found, on which the naked dog was painted. Mummified animals were found here in burials and places of sacrifice. Maya believed that a naked dog would lead the soul of its owner to heaven. In addition, in Mexico, and still dogs devoid of coat, are very common.
The name of naked dogs sounds like Xoloitzkuitli, Xolotl is the god of the Aztecs, and together it means “the dog of the god Xolotl”.
Description of Chinese Crested Breed
Representatives of this breed differ quite extraordinary appearance. Like other tetrapods, belonging to the category of indoor, decorative, or group of toi, they differ in small size, although they are larger than many.
The growth of males and bitches close to the ideal varies from 28 to 33 cm, although, according to the standard, deviations are not a defect. But the weight of the standard does not specify, although the majority of dogs of this breed, it is less than 5 kg. The standard describes Chinese Crested in this way:
- The Chinese Crested are rather thin, have graceful, long limbs that seem very thin from the side. The tail is elongated, tapers towards the end and holds high when moving.
- Not only the lack of wool attracts attention to these dogs, they also have an interesting muzzle , which has a pronounced stop (the transition from the skull to the muzzle is clearly seen). The muzzle has a rectangular shape, the jaw is equipped with sharp teeth with a scissor bite. These dogs have regular tooth loss, but this fact, like their abnormal growth, does not lead to disqualification of the pet.
- The eyes are small, almond-shaped, the look is usually inquisitive. Representatives with dark brown, almost black eyes are more common, but dogs with light hair may have eyes of a light shade. However, blue-eyed, as well as doggies with different eyes of the breed are not allowed.
- Auricles are large, are in a standing state, can hang in downy dogs.
There are two variants of Chinese crested - without wool, which is called naked and puderpuff - downy.
1. Crested "without hair . " Although the hairless dog is called naked, in fact it has hair coat on some areas of the body - it is in the region of the head, tail and limbs.
Most often, the hair is straight, forms a crest on the head, which formed the basis of the breed name. The tail is covered with a sufficiently long hair by two thirds, at the end forms a brush. And on the limbs it turns out some kind of boots made of wool. Some representatives may have chaotically scattered shreds of fur on their bodies. The entire coat is soft and has no undercoat. The skin is smooth, if you feel, then hot. By the way, at the exhibition individuals a real mane is formed on the head, and in general, the wool of dogs of the show class is much thicker and more abundant.
2. Crested with coat . Puff dogs have long hair all over their bodies, and there is also an undercoat. The undercoat is soft, silky, and the top is a long, tough and denser undercoat. In the area of the muzzle, it is shorter in comparison with the rest of the body, but most often the owners trim their pets to make them look more well-groomed and tidy.
For a show career, dogs must have properly growing and well-groomed hair, but there are almost no requirements for coloring. The color of the fur can be very diverse and the location of the spots is not regulated. Although most of the pedigree representatives have a gray or brown color, and the spots are white or gray. Downy crested often with white wool, with spots of gray or brown.
The nature of the Chinese crested dog
Chinese crested dogs are ideal companions with whom it is comfortable to coexist under the same roof. It is only important to take into account their need for care and proper care :
- They are devoid of aggression, but are distinguished by mobility and curiosity.
- They do not particularly choose among the members of the family of "pets" and are attached to everyone. And, having a friendly character, they can make friends with other pets.
- Dogs are very shy and sensitive, therefore they are very keenly experiencing rudeness in their address.
- They require attention, because without a person they are very bored and nervous about this.
- Outwardly very fragile, graceful, Chinese Crested have quite good health. But, given the lack of coat, need special clothing for walking at low temperatures.
- Representatives of this breed are intelligent and suitable for dog training. Even many complex tricks they master with ease. In addition, the dogs themselves love learning, because, giving good results, they try to prove to the owners their love and affection.
How to care for the crested
So, the family council, it was decided that an exotic pet in the house to be! It is important to prepare a place for a new member, it is desirable that it be secluded and from it you can easily get to the toilet. When choosing it is necessary to exclude dark corners, places with drafts and proximity of heating devices.
It is necessary to provide a place with a sunbed : for the crested, soft houses are ideal, in which the pets feel comfortable. During the period of the teeth change, when the animal is nibbling intensively, it is better to stay on the plastic container in which the mattress is placed. As for food, you should consult with the breeder - whether the puppy is accustomed to dry food , and if so, what brand of diet. That is what should continue to feed the pet.
Many owners agree that for hohlatiks, carrying a cage is a convenient thing. In it, the animal can be transported in any transport, it is also necessary for exhibitions. Teaching to the toilet, it is best to purchase special absorbent wipes or diapers. A set of care tools is also needed, depending on the length of the pet's fur.
- Two massage brushes - larger and smaller, preferably with natural bristles.
- Massage with metal teeth and antistatic coating.
- Comb with cloves capable of making rotational movements (they allow you to comb out tangles painlessly).
In addition, there are a number of specialized tools, for example, a clipper, an epilator, which are needed to care for naked pets. Leaving requires not only wool, but also claws, therefore kogterez and a nail file are necessary for undermining sharp claws. It is better to brush your pet 's teeth with a baby silicone or latex brush that fits on your finger.
If the dog is exposed, then special detergents are needed - shampoo, rinse aid (conditioner) and oil, which is not recommended for use earlier than a year. It is necessary to bathe a pet often - once in 7 days, it is better to dry with a towel.
Like other quadrupeds, Chinese crested require treatment from parasites. In this case, it is better to use special anti-flea drops on the withers, as wearing a flea collar can cause an allergic reaction and irritation on the skin.
At first, it is preferable to use a roulette leash with a soft collar (made of genuine leather or silk), if the dog is a show class, then a ringovka. Puppies are desirable to provide special safe toys.
Photos of Chinese Crested Dog
Chinese Crested video
Cost of a Chinese Crested Puppy
When purchasing a puppy of this breed, it is worth considering that the downy crested is much cheaper (2-2.5 times) than its hairless relatives. Puff from good manufacturers with documents can be purchased for 10,000-27,000 rubles. A bare dog under the same conditions costs from 20,000 to 50,000 rubles.
The Chinese crested dog is not only an exotic pet, which is ensured by the attention of others, but also a great responsibility. If you take care of your pet, it will give only joy and positive.