Modern pet owners are increasingly inclined to castrate an animal. For some, this is a self-evident procedure, but many still doubt its feasibility and resort only in extreme cases. What is the castration of dogs, what is its use and harm?
- Стерилизация и кастрация – в чем разница 1. Sterilization and castration - what is the difference
- Зачем кастрировать собак 2. Why to neuter the dogs
- Положительные стороны кастрации 3. Positive aspects of castration
- Недостатки кастрации собак 4. Disadvantages of castration of dogs
- Как происходит операция 5. How is the operation performed
- Подходящий для кастрации возраст 6. The age suitable for castration
- Цена кастрации собак 7. The price of castration of dogs
- Видео 8. Videos
- Послеоперационный уход за животным 9. Postoperative care of animals
Sterilization and castration - what is the difference
Most people who are ignorant in these matters believe that castration is used exclusively for males, and sterilization for females. However, this is not quite true.
During sterilization of the females, the uterine tubes are bandaged, the males - the spermatic ducts. The medical name of the operation is a vasectomy. In this case, the animal retains all the sexual organs, they continue their activity in the production of hormones. The pets have a sexual attraction, and they can mate , but they will not have offspring.
Castration is a more radical procedure, during which the animal is deprived of reproductive organs. In females, the uterus and ovaries are removed, or the ovaries alone. Both eggs are amputated to the males.
That is, in the first case there is a violation of sexual functions, in the second - their complete deprivation.
Why to neuter the dogs
If we consider female pets, then everything is obvious. The dog will not attract flocks of excited males, will not start "in all serious", exposing themselves to danger.
There will be no estrus, so there will be no uncontrolled conception and obtaining unnecessary offspring. The owner will not need to attach or get rid of the puppies (besides not always in humane ways). And the probability is great that a puppy-half-breed from good hands will fall into the street, replenishing the ranks of stray dogs.
As for males, for them a high level of hormones in the absence of mating becomes the root cause of aggressive behavior. They mark the whole territory, not excluding domestic things, and cause inconveniences, hopping on people, including children.
They become uncontrollable during walks, attack other males and selflessly, until fanaticism, pursuing the boughs, literally, spend the night under their doors. And if the females, sooner or later, the estrus is over, in males this condition is year-round.
In addition to these factors, there is a need for castration by medical indicators. The cause may be an inflammatory process in the genitals (in males most often suffer testicles) or the formation of cancer tumors.
Positive aspects of castration
Among the advantages of castration of dogs can be noted the following:
- a dog of any gender becomes more suitable for keeping in an apartment;
- The males calmed down, cease to show aggression towards others and in 50% of cases mark everything around;
- The male not only refuses to engage in fights, but also becomes uninteresting for other belligerent males;
- the sexual desire decreases with time, and interest in the opposite sex disappears;
- dogs tend to escape and wander;
- castration prevents genital cancers in old age;
- in bitches most often there is a piometer of the uterus , therefore, it is recommended castration of the ovaries together with the uterus;
- The operation will protect the animal from sexual infections.
The animal ceases to worry, it increases appetite and improves sleep, there is a great desire to play and mischief. If he had attempts to win leadership in the house, then they gradually come to naught.
Of course, castration can not completely affect the nature of the pet, but only partially corrects it. For more obvious changes, training , sufficient physical exertion and training are needed. In some cases, the animal becomes balanced only with age.
There is a myth that castration reduces the protective qualities of dogs, but in fact, there is no connection here. If the dog was an excellent caretaker, then after the operation she will remain.
Disadvantages of castration of dogs
Like any other surgical intervention, castration has possible side effects and complications. Among the main disadvantages of castration of dogs can be noted a violation of the hormonal balance, which can not but affect the health of the animal.
The operation can cause the following states:
- Development gipoterioza - a disease caused by a decrease in the functionality of the thyroid gland and reduce the level of hormones it produces.
- Bone cancer - according to statistics from malignant formations in bone tissues, castrated males most often suffer.
- Obesity - increased appetite after castration often causes weight gain, and an obese animal is more susceptible to cardiovascular disease.
- Behavioral abnormalities - they can be observed in elderly castrated males.
- Changing the wool cover - the lack of male hormone affects the condition of the coat, it becomes softer, similar in structure to puppy.
Dog owners also need to be aware of the fact that animals are more difficult than people to undergo anesthesia. Veterinarians themselves estimate its danger higher than from surgical intervention. In this case, everything depends on a competent calculation of the dosage. With a small dose, the dog can wake up before the end of the procedure. At higher dosage levels, there is a high risk of cardiac arrest.
Today, a number of veterinarians oppose castration, since it can still have a detrimental effect on the health of the dog.
How is the operation performed?
General cast anesthesia is used for castration. Preparatory activities include the following:
- location of the animal on a sterile surface;
- the introduction of anesthesia;
- removal of wool from the site of the future operation;
- disinfection of the incision area.
In males, the vet makes incisions on the scrotum, pulls the spermatic cord and amputates the testes.
Formed small wounds are poured with a special powder - Tricylline, it helps to avoid complications. The duration of the procedure is about five minutes, the removal of the sutures after the operation is not required.
In female dogs, the operation is more complicated, since penetration into the internal cavity of the organism takes place. The doctor cuts the inguinal area and removes organs (alone ovaries, or along with the uterus). The procedure lasts about half an hour. After sewing seams on the animal, bandages are worn, a special blanket is sometimes used so that the dog does not scratch and lick the damaged area.
The age suitable for castration
As for males, there are age limits. They are neutered no earlier than six months, otherwise the dog can stop growing and physical development.
Female dogs are operated before the first heat, this period varies in the range of 6-9 months. If everything is done on time and correctly, then the bitch will be protected from the appearance of tumors in the mammary glands.
The price of castration of dogs
In any clinic, the cost of castration of dogs varies, based, first of all, on the size of the animal and sex. In addition, prices vary in private and public veterinary hospitals.
As a rule, in any case, castration bitches will cost more. The cost of the procedure also includes the price of medicines, anesthetics and the materials used:
- up to 5 kg - 2000-2500 rubles.
- from 5 to 15 kg - 2500-3000 rubles.
- from 15 to 25 kg - 3000-3500 rubles.
- from 25 to 35 kg - 3500-4000 rubles.
- from 35 to 45 kg - 4000-5000 rubles.
- from 46 kg and more - 5000-7000 rub.
It is possible to call a specialist at home, in this case the cost of the operation increases within 1000 rubles. Also more expensive castration will cost at night and in the presence of concomitant complications.
Postoperative care for animals
While under the influence of anesthesia, all life processes in the dog's body slow down, including heat exchange. Therefore, you need to hide the animal with a light veil or flannel diaper.
The dog after castration, even before recovering or during weakness after awakening, can repeatedly urinate. It is worth taking care in advance for absorbing one-time diapers for transportation and at home. At home, you can use oilcloth.
Once at home, the dog is placed in a suitable warm place, but do not recommend putting it next to the battery, at the windows, in a draft.
While the animal has not recovered, it is necessary to constantly monitor its condition:
- pulse - it can be weaker, but even;
- breathing - it must also be smooth, without delay;
- mucous membranes - pallor and cyanosis indicate that the pet is not all right.
Every half hour of the pet must be turned from one side to the other. Replacement of wet bedding should be carried out immediately, otherwise the risk of freezing of the pet increases.
Food is allowed to be given only after the pet is completely taken care of. Food should be easy.
If the veterinarian prescribed postoperative drugs, then one should observe the reaction of the animal to them. With negative reactions - vomiting , diarrhea , skin allergies , you need to contact the veterinarian.
It is mandatory to monitor the condition of the wound and change the dressing material in a timely manner.