Modern pet owners are increasingly inclined to the idea of castrating an animal. For some, this is a matter of course, but many still doubt its feasibility and resort only in extreme cases. What is the castration of dogs, what is its benefit and harm?
- Стерилизация и кастрация – в чем разница 1. Sterilization and castration - what is the difference
- Зачем кастрировать собак 2. Why castrate dogs
- Положительные стороны кастрации 3. Positive aspects of castration
- Недостатки кастрации собак 4. Disadvantages of castration of dogs
- Как происходит операция 5. How the operation takes place
- Подходящий для кастрации возраст 6. Suitable age for castration
- Цена кастрации собак 7. Price of dog castration
- Видео 8. Video
- Послеоперационный уход за животным 9. Postoperative care for animals
Sterilization and castration - what's the difference
Most people who are ignorant of these matters believe that castration is used exclusively for males, and sterilization - for females. However, this is not quite true.
When sterilizing females, the fallopian tubes are tied, the males - the seminal ducts. The medical name for the operation is vasectomy. In this case, the animal retains all the genitals, they continue their activity in the production of hormones. Pets retain sexual desire, and they can mate , but they will not have offspring.
Castration is a more radical procedure, during which the animal loses its reproductive organs. In females, the uterus and ovaries are removed, or the ovaries alone. Male dogs amputate both testicles.
That is, in the first case there is a violation of sexual functions, in the second - their complete deprivation.
Why castrate dogs
If we consider female pets, then everything is obvious. The dog will not attract flocks of excited males, will not indulge in “grave”, endangering himself.
There will be no leakage, which means that uncontrolled conception and obtaining unnecessary offspring will not occur. The owner will not need to attach or get rid of puppies (besides not always humane ways). Yes, and it is likely that the puppy-metis from good hands will fall on the street, joining the ranks of stray dogs.
As for males, for them a high level of hormones in the absence of mating becomes the root cause of aggressive behavior. They mark the whole territory, not excluding household things, and cause inconvenience, jumping on people, including children.
They become uncontrollable during walks, attack other males and selflessly, to fanaticism, chasing the current bitches, literally, spend the night under their doors. And if the females, sooner or later, estrus ends, in males this state is year-round.
In addition to these factors, there is a need for castration for medical reasons. The cause may be an inflammatory process in the genitals (in males, the testes are most often affected) or the formation of cancerous tumors.
Positive aspects of castration
Among the advantages of castration of dogs are the following:
- a dog of any sex becomes more suitable for keeping in an apartment;
- males calm down, cease to show aggression towards others and in 50% of cases mark everything around;
- the dog not only refuses to start fights, but also becomes uninteresting for other belligerent males;
- sexual desire decreases with time, and interest in the opposite sex disappears;
- dogs have a tendency to escape and wander;
- castration prevents genital cancers in old age;
- in females, uterus pyometra most often occurs, therefore, they recommend castration of the ovaries together with the uterus;
- the operation will protect the animal from genital infections.
The animal stops worrying, it increases its appetite and improves sleep, there is a great desire to play and play the mischief. If he had attempts to win leadership in the house, then they gradually disappear.
Of course, castration can not completely affect the character of the pet, but only partially corrects it. For more obvious changes, you need training , enough exercise and training. In some cases, the animal becomes balanced only with age.
There is a myth that castration reduces the guarding qualities of dogs, but in reality there is no connection. If the dog was an excellent watchman, then after the operation it will remain with them.
Disadvantages of castration of dogs
Like any other surgery, castration has possible side effects and complications. Among the main disadvantages of castration of dogs can be noted a violation of hormonal balance, which can not but affect the health of the animal.
An operation can cause the following conditions:
- The development of hypothyroidism is a disease caused by a decrease in the functionality of the thyroid gland and a decrease in the level of hormones it produces.
- Bone cancer - statistically, castrated males most often suffer from malignant lesions in bone tissue.
- Obesity - increased appetite after castration is often the cause of weight gain, and an obese animal is more susceptible to cardiovascular diseases.
- Behavioral abnormalities - they can be observed in aged, castrated males.
- Changing coat - lack of a male hormone affects the state of wool, it becomes softer, similar in structure to a puppy.
Dog owners should also be aware that animals are harder than people who suffer anesthesia. The veterinarians themselves assess its danger higher than from surgical intervention. In this case, it all depends on the correct calculation of the dosage. With a small dose, the dog may wake up before the end of the procedure. When dosage is exceeded, there is a high risk of cardiac arrest.
Today, a number of veterinarians oppose castration, as it can still adversely affect the health of the dog.
How is the operation?
General anesthesia is used for castration. Preparatory activities include the following:
- location of the animal on a sterile surface;
- removal of wool from the place of future operation;
- disinfection of the cut area.
In males, the veterinarian makes incisions on the scrotum, pulls the spermatic cord and amputates the testes.
The resulting small wounds are powdered with a special powder - Tricillin, which helps to avoid complications. Duration of the procedure is about five minutes, removal of sutures after the operation is not required.
In female dogs, the operation is more complicated as it penetrates the internal cavity of the body. The doctor cuts the groin and removes the organs (only the ovaries, or together with the uterus). The procedure takes about half an hour. After stitching, bandages are put on the animal, sometimes a special blanket is used so that the dog does not scratch or lick the damaged area.
Suitable age for castration
As for males, there are age restrictions. They are castrated no earlier than six months, otherwise the dog may stop growing and physical development.
Female dogs are subjected to surgery before the start of the first estrus, this period varies in the range of 6-9 months. If everything is done on time and correctly, then the bitch will be protected from the appearance of tumors in the mammary glands.
Price castration of dogs
In any clinic, the cost of castration of dogs varies, based primarily on the size of the animal and gender. In addition, prices vary in private and state veterinary clinics.
As a rule, in any case, castration of bitches will cost more. The cost of the procedure also includes the price of drugs, anesthetics and materials used:
- up to 5 kg - 2000-2500 rubles.
- from 5 to 15 kg - 2500-3000 rubles.
- from 15 to 25 kg - 3000-3500 rubles.
- from 25 to 35 kg - 3500-4000 rubles.
- from 35 to 45 kg - 4000-5000 rubles.
- from 46 kg and more - 5000-7000 rub.
It is possible to call a specialist at home, in this case, the cost of the operation increases within 1000 rubles. Also more expensive castration will cost at night and in the presence of related complications.
Postoperative care for animals
While under the influence of anesthesia, all life processes in the dog's body slow down, including heat transfer. Therefore, you need to cover the animal with a light veil or flannel diaper.
A dog after castration, even before it comes to itself or during a weakness after awakening, can urinate more than once. It is necessary to take care in advance of absorbing disposable diapers for transportation and home. At home, you can use oilcloth.
Once at home, the dog is placed in a suitable warm place, but it is not recommended to put it near the battery, by the window, in a draft.
Until the animal regained consciousness, it is necessary to constantly monitor its state:
- pulse - it may be weaker, but even;
- breathing - it should also be smooth, without delays;
- mucous membranes - pallor and cyanosis indicate that not everything is in order with the pet.
Every half hour pet must be turned from one side to another. Replacing wet litter should be done immediately, otherwise the risk of pet freezing increases.
Food is allowed to be given only after the beloved pet is completely in itself. Food should be light.
If the veterinarian has prescribed postoperative drugs, then the animal’s response to them should be monitored. For negative reactions - vomiting , diarrhea , skin allergies , you should contact your veterinarian.
It is imperative to monitor the condition of the wound and to change the dressing material in a timely manner.