It is not surprising that dogs, like people, are prone to various diseases. They can also catch a cold, catch an infection, a virus, or be injured. Of course, in most cases it happens much less frequently than in humans, but still. The main symptom of various diseases is cough. And if the pet has manifested itself, it makes sense to take a closer look at the dog and observe its condition. What can a dog cough signal?
- Кашель, не связанный с заболеваниями 1. Cough, not associated with diseases
- Кашель – явный симптом заболеваний 2. Cough - a clear symptom of disease
- Вольерный кашель у собак (он же питомниковый) 3. Aviary cough in dogs (aka kennel)
- Воспаление легких (пневмония) 4. Inflammation of the lungs (pneumonia)
- Сердечный кашель у собаки 5. Heart Cough in Dog
- Коллапс трахеи 6. Collapse of the trachea
- Как можно облегчить диагностирование болезни 7. How to facilitate the diagnosis of the disease
Cough, not associated with diseases
Dog coughing does not always mean illness; there are several causes of coughing in dogs that are not related to this:
- Reverse sneezing. Although this phenomenon of coughing, in principle, is not considered, yet the external signs are similar and mislead many dog owners. Most often, this can be heard from pets dwarf breeds. Reverse sneezing is nothing but the body's response to spasms in the throat and palate, which are caused by some kind of irritant. Stressful situations, heavy physical exertion, tightly buttoned collar, plant pollen and even extreme temperature drops can act as an irritant. Since when sneezing backward, the pet exhales quickly and noisily, one might think that he was coughing or had an asthmatic attack. Treatment of this condition does not require, it is important to identify the cause and eliminate, to save your pet from this trouble.
- Foreign object. As you know, many dogs can absorb various objects, and in most cases this happens when the owner is a little distracted. If suddenly the pet began to cough suddenly, as if choking, while trying to swallow and licked, then, most likely, an unidentified object (if the dog gnawed a bone, then this is it) lingered in his throat. What should the owner do in this situation? Initially, the dog should not interfere, because most often the dogs themselves manage to get rid of the stuck object. If this does not happen, then it is worth helping the pet, since sharp objects, bones can lead to internal injuries. If the condition of the dog is worsening and it is not coughing, you should seek veterinary care.
- Also, the dog can cough up, choking with liquid .
Cough - a clear symptom of disease
A dog may cough for various reasons, and among the common diseases and conditions that are accompanied by this symptom, the following can be noted: aviary, cardiac, pneumonia , tracheal collapse.
Aviary cough in dogs (aka kennel)
The cause of such cough can be pathogenic bacteria or viruses, leading to the appearance of tracheobronchitis or laryngotracheitis. Such illnesses are respiratory in nature, so animals very easily infect each other during normal communication, on the run, during competitions or exhibitions, where there is a large accumulation of animals in one place.
Symptoms of captive cough can appear as a couple of days, and after two weeks. If we consider its main features, then they can be attributed dry cough, it is deep and staccato. Seizures most often occur at times of excitation of the animal, as well as during physical activity. Accompanying symptoms are sneezing, nausea, bouts of vomiting , the dog can often snort.
Aviary cough in a dog - treatment. If the dog is healthy and the neg has no pathologies, then the cure occurs after 21 days. Elderly and weak animals will recover twice as long. Puppies also cope with infection more slowly than adult dogs.
If the pet's condition has worsened, or after the time required for treatment, he has not stopped coughing, this means that the body cannot cope with the illness and requires a drug treatment of the dog's cough. If in this case you do not seek medical help, then the dog may develop pneumonia, a dangerous disease for the dog.
Inflammation of the lungs (pneumonia)
If a dog has a wet cough, then an inflammatory exudate has accumulated in its lungs, that is, sputum, which is a sure sign of pneumonia. Most often, the condition is aggravated by signs such as weight loss, feverish state, malaise, and apathy. The dog refuses to eat, it is difficult to breathe. The development of pneumonia can be caused by pathogenic bacteria, pathogenic fungi, fluid that has entered the respiratory tract.
If pneumonia is of bacterial origin, then a specific pathogen will need to be diagnosed. Based on the data assigned to the appropriate antibiotic. In addition, the doctor prescribes immunostimulating drugs. During therapy, it is necessary to provide the pet with rest and rest.
A more severe form is considered fungal pneumonia. The fact is that the dog's body practically does not respond to antifungal drugs. The most successful in this case is treatment with an inhaler.
Another type of pneumonia is aspiration pneumonia. In this case, the inflammatory process develops on the background of contact with the respiratory tract of foreign objects or substances. This may be vomit, stomach contents, pieces of food.
The treatment is extremely difficult and is a threat to the life of the pet. In this case, preventive measures are an important factor; at the first signs of foreign bodies getting into the respiratory tract, you should contact a specialist.
In some cases, coughing can be a sign of problems with the cardiovascular system. It appears when the heart muscle begins to press into the area of the lungs and respiratory tract. Most often, cardiac ailments are accompanied by other symptoms - loss of appetite , lethargy, decreased performance, a change in heart rate - it can both slow down and accelerate.
In this case, only the veterinarian can prescribe the necessary treatment, based on the condition of the pet, the stage of the disease, its age and other factors.
If a cardiovascular disease is suddenly discovered in a four-legged friend, then it is necessary to monitor its diet more carefully and select optimal physical activities.
Representatives of small breeds suffer from this pathology. The disease is chronic, and it tends to progress. A dog can not only be born with this ailment, but also acquire it over time.
This condition is accompanied by a dry cough, which can occur even with a slight tightening of the leash or with palpation of the neck in the area of the trachea. In severe forms of collapse in a pet, there is difficulty breathing with a whistle, shortness of breath.
An asymptomatic course of the disease also occurs, when the collapse is already manifested in a severe form. In this case, preventive visits to the vet are important, especially if the pet is at risk.
The early stages of the collapse of the trachea are treated with drugs, in more advanced cases, only surgery will help.
These are not all causes of coughing in a dog, it can cough, trying to choke off worm infestations. This happens if the dog does not conduct regular de-deliberation. It is also possible cough allergic nature, manifested under the influence of irritating factors.
How to facilitate the diagnosis of the disease
If the condition of the pet causes concern, then you need to show it to a specialist. At the reception, you must give the doctor as much important information as possible:
- dog breed, age;
- immediately give information if the pet suffers from allergic reactions and to what;
- describe the characteristics of cough - how often it occurs, after what actions, dry cough or wet, how long it lasts, whether the dog coughs in a dream, etc .;
- tell about the accompanying symptoms of cough - what has changed recently in the behavior of the animal that worries him.
After that, the doctor proceeds to examine the dog, assessing the condition of its mucous membranes in the mouth, sternum, trachea, lymphadenopathy. Basically, it uses the method of palpation. Then comes the mandatory measurement of body temperature. On the basis of the obtained data, further diagnosis is prescribed, laboratory tests are possible, and, finally, adequate treatment.
Only timely treatment to the clinic can help the pet overcome the developed ailment.