When feeding your pet's natural food, owners should consider the needs of their pet. If the basis of the ration is meat products, then the second most important component is croup. This is a natural source of carbohydrates, fiber, as well as vitamins and microelements , necessary for the growth, development and health of a four-legged pet. But it is necessary to understand that not all cereals are useful for dogs. In addition, in some cases, it is necessary to take into account some features.
Features of feeding porridges
Choosing croup for your dog, you need to rely on age, health, physiological characteristics, conditions in which the animal is kept, and breed requirements. Cereals should be 25-40% of the daily diet.
You can cook cereals separately or you can cook porridge with meat and vegetable additives. The optimal combination of ingredients is 30% of cereals, 40% of meat or fish, and 30% of vegetables and vitamin supplements.
You can add a little salt to the dish, but only after cooking. But if the pet has a tendency to the formation of stones in the bladder or kidneys, it is worth to reduce the amount of salt or even porridge does not salt.
Among cereals, which are better to exclude from the diet, is pearl barley, it can not normally digest the gastrointestinal tract of the animal. So what kind of croup benefits our lesser friends?
Useful groats for dogs
In fact, the porridge that can feed dogs without causing harm to health is not so much:
- Buckwheat - comes first, as this is the most useful groats and suitable for all dogs. It is enriched with iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B and vegetable proteins. Of course, this refers to a high-grade crop, not past steam and other treatments. An important quality of buckwheat is that in the process of cooking it does not lose its usefulness. Buckwheat porridge positively affects the metabolic processes in the dog's body. It also has a stimulating effect on the cardiovascular system, strengthens immune mechanisms. Cooked cereal until friable.
- Rice groats are a natural absorbent component that stimulates metabolism. In addition, rice contains vitamins, magnesium, calcium and iron. Cook the rice porridge until it gets a crumbly consistency. After the dish is cooked, it is necessary to give the porridge to insist for 20-30 minutes. A special benefit is the rump that has not been processed, because the rice shell contains many nutritional components. The boiled croup is suitable for feeding sick animals, as well as for problems with the gastrointestinal tract. In cases of intoxication, it is recommended that the pet be given a rice decoction.
- Barley cereal is a very vitaminized product, which includes even trace elements such as silicon, fluorine, chromium. However, one should not hope that the animal's organism is able to fully absorb all useful substances. But the barley porridge still gives the pet the necessary energy and replenishes the deficit of individual elements. In addition, the barley stimulates the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. But to give such a mess every day is not recommended.
- Oatmeal - here are oat flakes and Hercules, a well of useful trace elements - calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium and various kinds of vitamins. This is an excellent product for a variety of dog diets, but one should not make it the main dish. And yes, this porridge should not be included in the diet of a dog suffering from urolithiasis or having a tendency to this ailment.
This is almost all the grains that can be given to the dog. But there are still cereals that are included in the diet in certain cases.
- whether milk can be given to a dog ;
- than a dog is better not to feed ;
- what bones can be given to a dog .
Porridge for food under certain conditions
But the following cereals can be said that they only benefit in certain cases:
- Corn - this porridge has low nutritional value and there are very few useful components in it. This makes it unsuitable for feeding a healthy dog. But it has a lot of carbohydrates. Corn porridge is recommended to be given to an animal during the inflammatory process in the mucous tissues of the intestine. Its consumption reduces fermentation processes and putrefaction of foods in the intestines.
- Semolina is the central part of wheat grain, which is deprived during processing of most of the useful components. In the manga there is very little fiber, vitamins and minerals. But it is the low fiber content that made this product important in the menu of pets with digestive system diseases. This is due to the fact that it is better digested. And in this case it is suitable for feeding, both puppies and adult dogs. However, experts do not recommend regularly and without the need to give it to an animal, as this will lead to a set of excess body weight and the acquisition of a loose constitution.
- Wheat groats are a product rich in magnesium, zinc, iodine, vitamins. However, the wheat kernel is not fully digested in the digestive tract of the dog. And the high content of starch does not make the porridge suitable for the daily diet. But undigested residues are able to clean the walls of the intestine, which is an undoubted plus. It is recommended to give such porridge to active dogs with a healthy gastrointestinal tract. In other cases, it is better to refuse to include it in the diet.
Apparently, cereals are not such a simple product, so before you cook porridge for your pet, it's worth reading some nuances. I hope we answered the question: "What kind of cereals can be given to dogs?"