Spring is not only the time of love and flowering ... In this warm period various parasites are starting to activate, including such dangerous ones as mites. These small arthropods can not drink a lot of blood from people and animals or cause severe injuries. Their danger lies in another - they are carriers of extremely dangerous diseases that can harm a dog's health and even lead to death. What if the owner found a tick in the pet? The best option is to seek help from a veterinary clinic, but if this is not possible, then there are ways how to independently rid the dog of the parasite.
A number of rules for removing insects
Detect clinging mites easier in dogs with a short coat. However, sometimes here it is revealed after a while, when the parasite is absorbed by the blood and becomes round like a pea. Depending on the variety, it may have a dirty pink color, a dark gray or a gray-brown color.
The earlier "guest" is found, the better. After all, he does not immediately dig into the skin, and some time (sometimes this period is not one hour) "wanders" along the body of the animal in search of a site with a delicate, thin skin, where the vessels are located closer to the surface. And if you find it at this moment, you can avoid negative consequences.
Most often ticks settle in the neck, in the auricles, on the stomach. Although they can be found on other sites. Naturally, it is easier to find a tick when it swells with blood. Moreover, having determined the place, he does not move through the body, remaining on this site. To extract an arthropod from the skin of a dog, it is important to adhere to the following recommendations:
- It is necessary to wear medical gloves, since the tick can be a carrier of dangerous diseases for humans.
- Having removed the tick, it is important to destroy the parasite, and for this it should be burned, since under other influences it can survive.
- When pulling out the tick, it should not be squeezed, because, having felt the danger, it will start to throw in the blood harmful components.
- You can not pull a tick, as its body can burst and the head with toxic substances will remain in the body of the dog, with the risk of suppuration and infection;
If the parasite is attached inside the auricle or penetrated under the skin, then do not try to extract it yourself, but it is better to contact a professional.
Watch a video of how to remove a tick from a dog:
How to pull the mite yourself?
There are several ways to extract the parasite:
- With the help of a finger wrapped in gauze . It is necessary to treat the bite site, including the mite, with an antiseptic. Suitable chlorhexidine, alcohol. Then the index finger is wrapped in a piece of bandage or gauze. The finger should be placed on the mite, but do not press it! It is necessary to roll out the parasite, making circular movements clockwise.
- Using tweezers . It is necessary to prepare a tool (it must have pointed edges). The tweezer and the place of manipulation will need to be treated with an antiseptic. The forceps should grasp the area near the head of the mite, but not the body, and, making smooth circular motions, carefully remove it.
- Making a loop of thread . For the procedure, a thin string 30-35 cm in length will be required. A loop is made of it and gently pinched on the mite. Then the loop should be tightened and the parasite pulled out. But you need to do this without pulling the thread up, and twisting it clockwise along the skin.
- Applying a needle from a disposable syringe . To remove the parasite in this way it is required - open fire, tweezers, a needle and an antiseptic. It is necessary to hold the needle for a while over the fire, until it is heated. For this, it is best to use pliers. The needle of the hot stuck into the mite's body, and then it should wait 7-8 seconds. Then the body of the arthropod is neatly pulled out of the dog's skin.
- Using a special device . In the pharmacy you can buy a special device - "Tick Twister", the purpose of which is to remove ticks. The twister is a hook having a small slot where the parasite gets after removal. It is necessary to fix the tick in the hook and do some rotation clockwise until it separates from the skin. Sometimes 3-4 steps are sufficient for a successful procedure, but in some cases, the owner needs 7-10 minutes.
Taking on an independent operation, it is necessary to take care of the sterility of the instruments used. In addition, it is important to know whether the parasite was a carrier of infections, for this purpose it is referred to a veterinary clinic where a study is conducted in the laboratory.
Do not forget about the antiseptic treatment of the wound, which remains at the site of the bite. To do this, you can use hydrogen peroxide or another antiseptic based on alcohol. But before applying an antiseptic, you need to make sure that all parts of the mite are removed.
Ticks are dangerous arachnid arthropods, which are a "transshipment base" for various pathogens of infections. And if earlier the period of their activity was determined from May to September, today some species of mites are awake much longer. It is important in the warm season to inspect your pet for parasites and use special protective equipment, for example, insecticide drops or a collar.