So ordered nature that the life expectancy of dogs is much shorter than that of a person. And in any case, sooner or later, the pet has to say goodbye. But it becomes even harder that it is often necessary to do this before the expected, and in some cases even independently solve its fate. Is it difficult to take responsibility? Of course ... But having got into a family, a four-legged friend and so depends on the person, and his life is already in the hands of the owner.
- Когда других вариантов нет 1. When there are no other options
- Усыпление в домашних условиях 2. Euthanasia at home
- Усыпление животного в условиях ветклиники 3. Euthanasia of an animal in a vet clinic
- Стоимость эвтаназии 4. The cost of euthanasia
- Два полярных мнения об эвтаназии 5. Two polar opinions about euthanasia
When there are no other options
There are two types of reasons for which one has to resort to euthanasia: medical and social indicators.
Quite often, euthanasia is recommended for medical reasons. First of all, it is related to the health of the pet. The last severe stages of the disease, which bring the torments, as well as diseases that do not give in to any treatment at all, become a valid reason to stop the sufferings of the pet. It can be very difficult for owners to realize that sleep in such a case is a humane act, and not everyone can go for this, although this is quite a reasonable solution.
If you take into account the opinion of professionals, then with disappointing diagnoses, especially when it comes to older animals, between the option of constant anesthesia with the slow extinction of the pet and euthanasia, they recommend the latter. After all, not only the owner is hard and painful to watch this, but the dog is experiencing heavy agony.
Do not make this decision yourself, it's best to consult a qualified doctor to find out if there is even the slightest chance of recovery.
Veterinarians say that for such a procedure it is very important to choose the right moment. And it's better if it happens before the dog begins to feel physical pain. Often, delaying the decision, the owners tolerate prolonged anguish of the pet.
The resulting injuries and injuries from accidents or other accidents can also lead to euthanasia. Often, dogs are euthanized due to the fact that the owners do not have the necessary funds for treatment.
To social reasons, the antisocial behavior of the animal is considered. Such harsh measures are resorted if, due to aggressiveness, the dog can not be kept near people. The dog attacked an adult human or child for no apparent reason, inflicted severe bodily harm? This is already an excuse for euthanasia, in order to protect themselves and others.
Sleeping at home
For some reason, pet owners want to put the dog to sleep alone. What does it take to put the dog to sleep?
There are several ways of euthanasia, which differ in their methods:
- Introduction into the pulmonary lobes of alcohol or ammonia solution, in the process the dog chokes. It is most often used to put off unwanted offspring.
- Holding a powerful current discharge through the body of the dog. In this case, the cause of death is cardiac arrest.
Is it worth mentioning that such methods do not differ in humanity and are more like torture. This is also evidenced by the fact that often an animal does not die immediately, experiencing infernal agony.
Therefore, it is still recommended to seek the help of a specialist or at least consult with him, choosing the necessary dosage of funds for a more civilized way of sleep. The following drugs can be used:
- Negatively affect the activity of the central nervous system, cause puffiness of the lungs and breathing stops (Pnetobarbital and Etaminal sodium).
- Thiopental sodium injects the animal into a deep hypnotic state and loss of consciousness.
- Propofol also introduces the dog into short-term hypnosis, provokes oppression of respiratory functions.
- Droperidol - a drug-tranquilizer with a sedative effect, which reduces motor activity.
- Zolarepam is an anesthetic that reduces pain.
- Preparations of sedative (sedative) action. Xylazine - first of all, is used as an agent for anesthesia. It affects the relaxation of the muscles, lowers arterial pressure, in more than the normal dose, it depresses breathing.
- Muscle relaxants:
- Arduan is a synthetic drug that blocks the conductivity between nerves and muscles. Used in complex anesthesia.
- Ditilin - an increased dose leads to a stop in breathing.
- Lidocaine - used for painless euthanasia of animals.
- Means that influence the balance of electrolytes. Magnesium sulfate belongs to this group of drugs. With intravenous administration of a large amount of funds, there is weakness in the muscles, lowering blood pressure, respiratory depression. All the symptoms lead to a terminal heart failure.
Euthanasia of an animal in a vet clinic
In this case, the most humane medication procedure is used, which consists of two stages:
- Initially, the veterinarian puts a dog prick, more often in the muscle, which immerses the pet in a narcotic sleep. It is better, if during this period the owner will sit next to the pet, as the dog will feel more relaxed and not nervous.
- After a certain time, the second injection follows, the role of which is to stop the heart activity. This process takes some time, but the dog does not feel anything. At this stage, the doctor asks the owners to go out, so as not to see seizures , convulsive movements of the pet.
If the dog is not just nervous, but also shows aggression towards the doctor and the owner, then the remedy that relaxes the muscles is introduced remotely. In this situation, the whole process of euthanasia will take more time.
After ascertaining death, it will be possible to discuss the question of burial. Independently to bury an animal it is possible only on personal territory. If the reason for euthanasia was pet aggression against a person, then cremation is prohibited in this case. The animal's body is transmitted to veterinarians to identify signs of rabies.
It will be interesting : how dogs see the world .
The cost of euthanasia
The price of the procedure directly depends on the body weight of the dog. The larger the animal, the more expensive it will cost. The average cost for euthanasia is:
- ten-kilogram dog - from 1t. up to 2 tons. rubles;
- from 10 to 20 - from 2 tons. up to 3t rubles;
- within the limits of up to 30 kilograms - 3-4 thousand rubles;
- from 30 to 50 kg - 4-5 tons of rubles;
- with a weight of up to 70 kg - from 5 to 7 rubles.
These prices apply to Moscow and the Moscow region, in provincial cities, the cost of sleep can be cheaper by 25-30%.
If the veterinarian does not intend to visit the house, the sleep will be cheaper. Departure of a doctor costs on average 1,200 rubles.
In addition to euthanasia, clinics offer a wide range of additional services:
- dog removal and cremation;
- Delivery of his ashes back in a special urn (this service will be more expensive than usual cremation).
If we talk about cost, then a full range of services (sleep and cremation) in a veterinary clinic will be cheaper than ordering everything separately and independently to take the pet's body to the crematorium.
Two polar opinions about euthanasia
Modern owners of dogs in relation to the sleep of pets divided into two opposite camps:
- In the first it is believed that if a friend, more accurately a member of the family, is hopeless, then lulling is a really difficult, but the right decision. They share the opinion that a dog that served man faithfully served the right to a decent care - without painful pains, next to its owner. In such judgments there is a rational grain, as many diseases lead to a very unsightly, painful death. These include oncological ailments with metastases and multiple surgical interventions, traumas that are incompatible with life, irreversible processes within the body that have a chronic or age-related cause. If anesthesia does not bring relief, the owners tend to decide to release the animal.
- In the camp of opponents of sleep, they believe that euthanasia is a murder, though with good intentions, and is a sin. In their opinion, a person has no right to decide who and how much to live. Examples include miraculous healings of terminally ill cats and dogs. Any, even the most hopeless situation, gives hope for a miraculous cure. Sleep deprives hope and deprives the pet of a phantom, but a chance to live.
Dogs are the most devoted creatures, ready for the master to die. They resignedly bear all the diseases and deprivations, not showing the kind, how hard it is for them. In this difficult situation, each pet owner makes an independent decision.