When a dog is a pet, it is important to understand that this is not only a friend, companion, companion with whom you can play, talk, pour out your soul, but also an animal that requires constant care and proper care. On how the owner will take care of his beloved pet, his health, temper, life expectancy and many other factors depend. How to care for a dog? According to veterinarians, this is an elementary compliance with all hygiene rules and regulations, maintaining the right diet, regular dog walking and timely supervision by a veterinarian.
Care of hair
There are several types of wool and for each pet you need a special approach:
- Dogs with long hair . If the Afghan greyhounds , spaniels, Scottish sheepdogs and other longhaired breeds on the ground look like dogs from covers of glossy magazines, this does not mean that it's only a matter of long and silky wool. The beauty of the coat is the result of daily painstaking combing . For these purposes, a wooden comb with sparse teeth is perfect. In order for the dog to have a neat appearance, it is necessary to trim the excess of the wool near the anus, between the toes of the paws and around the brow ridges.
- Smooth-haired breeds . Do not think that if you have a Dalmatian , a Staffordshire terrier or a boxer , then their coat does not require any care. Even such, seemingly almost bare, breeds are prone to seasonal molts , which means that it is necessary to help them get rid of the already worn wool. For combing, a rubber brush, or a brush similar to the one intended for cleaning clothes, is perfect. To give a gloss will help a cloth from suede, which after combing it is necessary to spend on wool in the direction of hair growth.
- Dogs with tough hair . This type of hair is most often found in dogs from the family of terriers and schnauzers. It requires regular step-by-step care:
- Combing - you will need two brushes, one with metal teeth, the other with bristles.
- Haircut - use a clipper and scissors with rounded ends.
- Trimming - pulling out bristles that died off.
- Dogs with medium wool . German, Eastern European shepherds, Alabai and Caucasians have medium-length wool. This is the easiest in the care option, although it requires regular combing. You will need a regular combing brush and a "puffer" to remove the undercoat during the moult period.
- Curly pets . Poodles and some varieties of terriers have an undeniable advantage - they are not prone to molting. However, wool still needs care. To comb out it is necessary often, otherwise formed koltuny it is necessary to cut out. Dogs with this type of hair must be trimmed according to breed standards.
- Exotic wool . If you are lucky to be the owner of a pet with rope hair, sometimes or not at all, then in this case a breeder's consultation will be required. Only a professional can give accurate recommendations.
Read more about what to do if the dog gets hair .
The adoption of baths again directly depends on the quality of the wool.
Dogs with hair prone to stall . These dogs require frequent bathing. Ideally - once every 7 days, it is permissible and every 14 days. During exhibitions of long-haired pets, they bathe regularly before the events. To bathe such dogs is necessary completely, not limited only to paws.
Hard or medium hardness of the wool . Pets with a hard or medium hardness of hair are bathed once a month and this is quite enough. To a representative of the breed with a smooth back and a pretty hairy face looked neat, you need to apply after washing special balms and conditioners.
Sometimes, to ensure that the coat is not excessively fluffy and does not fray, dry cleaning is carried out before the exhibitions, which is carried out with a piece of cloth with a velvet surface and a brush. A rag will remove dirt and excess sebum, and the brush will relieve the dead hairs and dandruff . The same method is effective for the care of dogs with medium wool - German shepherds, husks, Alabai, etc.
Smooth-haired dogs . Smooth-haired pets (dogs, dachshunds, Dobermans , etc.) do not require frequent washing, only once or twice every three months. Also, it will be superfluous to carry out periodic dry cleaning.
Read more on how to properly wash a dog .
All four-legged pets love to walk. They are attracted by new flavors, the opportunity to communicate with their own kind, a diverse environment.
But it is always worth remembering that the behavior of the dog under the new conditions is changing. If at home the dog is a kind, agreeable creature, then on the street it is not uncommon for him to enter into the "spirit of freedom". Therefore, it is recommended to walk the animal on a leash, especially for large representatives, and dogs of fighting breeds - in muzzles. In addition, the leash will protect the dog from hazards - moving cars, open wells, dog weddings.
[tip] It is enough to take the dog twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. The exception are puppies and elderly pets, we need to look at the situation. Also, three times a day you can bring out pet favorites. [/ Tip]
In a warm season, a minimum walk should last from 20 minutes to half an hour, but longer walks are also welcome. In the cold season, the dog's stay on the street (especially smooth-haired) can be reduced to 15 minutes. You can not bring out a newly-fed pet, it's worth waiting for a few hours. Do not recommend walking the dog in playgrounds, the territory of children's institutions.
- How to teach a puppy to the toilet
- How to cut the claws of a dog
- How to brush your teeth
- Symptoms of a dog bite
Examinations from a veterinarian
After the puppy has been supplied with all the necessary vaccines, a visit to the veterinary clinic becomes annual and as necessary. Prevention can also be timed to the period of revaccinations.
The elderly animal requires more careful care and care, and examinations should be performed more often - every 3-6 months.
Scheduled inspections include the following processes:
- Introduction of vaccine preparations (read more about vaccination of dogs ).
- Inspection of the teeth.
- Treatments against various parasites (intestinal, external, ear, etc.).
- Correction of nutrition (the veterinarian gives advice, based on the health of the pet).
- Weighing (helps to identify signs of obesity).
- General tests of urine and blood are especially important for sick or weak pets.
Of course, many may think that such events are a waste of money, however, early detection of pathologies helps not only to avoid long, expensive treatment, but also often saves a life for a pet.
From what to feed the dog, depends on her health and life expectancy . If the owner chooses the finished feed (dry or wet), it is important to select high-quality products, preferably the class of Holistics. In these feeds contain all the useful micro- and macro elements, the daily norm of vitamins , in a sufficient amount of meat product, vegetables, herbage. Each package contains detailed instructions for use and composition.
But what if we are talking about ordinary food? Studies have shown that a healthy animal should receive 2/3 of meat products and 1/3 of plant products. But you can give not only meat, but also all kinds of offal:
- a heart;
- lung, etc.
Among the types of meat, everything is suitable, except pork - beef, lamb, poultry, game, etc. Dogs can be given different trim, but without fat. Fish can also be included in the diet, but exclusively marine and boneless.
Among the plant components, the following products should be preferred:
- oats, millet, buckwheat, bran, barley;
- all vegetables, except beans and potatoes;
- fruits, except grapes.
Bones can be included in the diet, but only large boiled and in small quantities.
When preparing it is necessary to adhere to certain rules:
- Meat and by-products require mandatory heat treatment.
- Cut them into small pieces, or grind them in a meat grinder.
- The broth obtained during cooking is also given to the pet.
- Cereals - oats, barley, etc. must be soaked in cold water before cooking.
- Vegetables better to give raw, wiping on a grater, or finely chopping.
That the dog is contraindicated:
- do not give cabbage or a vegetable top;
- food should be warm and have a mushy consistency;
- do not give bones to puppies for a year;
- The fish should be completely cleaned, removing not only bones, but all fins.
Thus, the balance in nutrition will help to strengthen, maintain and preserve the health of your beloved animal. Following all the simple rules and recommendations of the veterinarian, the dog will grow active, mobile and healthy.
Read more about how to properly feed a dog .