Pet owners often have to provide emergency assistance to their pets. There is not always a veterinarian within reach, so the owners need to know the rules for carrying out simple and effective manipulations, such as putting an enema.
- Что такое клизма и как она действует 1. What is an enema and how does it work
- Зачем назначают клизму собаке 2. Why do you need enema dog?
- Какой объем раствора 3. What is the volume of solution
- Назначение различных видов растворов 4. Appointment of various types of solutions
- Противопоказания к лечению 5. Contraindications to treatment
- Как сделать клизму собаке в домашних условиях 6. How to make an enema dog at home
- Как приготовить раствор 7. How to prepare a solution
What is an enema and how does it work
The dog may have intestinal problems or diseases that require cleaning the digestive tract. Not always the animal can be given a laxative . If the dog does not want to take the medicine orally or there are contraindications to this type of treatment, it is necessary to give the animal an enema.
Enemas - is the introduction of fluid in the lower rectum or large intestine with a special device. Water has a high thermal conductivity, heat capacity, availability and wide distribution, so hydrotherapy is indicated for the treatment and prevention of many diseases. Enema has a mechanical, chemical and thermal effect. Enemas have:
- Cleansing and anti-toxic effects - is the release of intestines from the accumulated feces, waste products of microorganisms and parasites.
- Stimulation of the motor function of the intestine - water irritates the receptors of the intestinal mucosa. Depending on the composition of the substances dissolved in it, water has a different effect. Tap and distilled water are more irritating than isotonic or hypotonic solution. The starch solution has an enveloping effect, the warm solution relieves spasms and relaxes the intestinal walls.
- Distraction - hypertonic solutions contribute to the redistribution of fluid during brain swelling, lung and heat stroke.
- The therapeutic properties of the drug exhibits.
- Nourishing action.
Enemas differ in composition and depth of penetration, as well as in temperature. In accordance with the appointment distinguish the following types of enemas:
Enemas are prescribed for various diseases and pathological conditions.
Why is an enema prescribed dog
Types of enemas and indications for their use are different. So, for example, enemas from cold water are used to reduce the body temperature of the animal, and warm - to relax the intestines. Enema dog according to indications:
- with elevated or decreased body temperature;
- in violation of the act of defecation;
- with food poisoning ;
- for the prevention of intoxication by decomposition products in the treatment of helminth infections and mass death of parasites;
- in diseases that cause inflammation of the intestinal mucosa;
- in preparing the dog for the study of the state of the digestive system;
- for the introduction into the body of the animal medicinal and nutrients.
It is advisable that the procedure be prescribed by a veterinarian, since there are a number of contraindications for which hydrotherapy cannot be used in therapy.
What is the volume of the solution
To prepare the solution, use such substances:
- boiled and cooled water;
- decoction of chamomile, hypericum, yarrow;
- baking soda;
- table salt;
- potassium permanganate;
- Vaseline oil;
- fish fat;
- medicines prescribed by a veterinarian.
Enema fill with warm water - 36-37 ° C. For cold - at least 25-30 ° C. The volume of fluid depends on the size of the dog and the type of enema. Cleansing large breeds of dogs make in a volume of 1 liter, medium –200 ml and small - up to 50 ml. Medical microclysters are made for rapid absorption of medicinal substances, and their small volume, as a rule, does not exceed 10-50 ml, depending on the breed of the dog.
Assign different types of solutions
Before any kind of enemas, the intestines are washed with warm water heated to the body temperature of the animal. With intestinal atony, constipation and prolonged absence of bowel movements, an enema with the addition of glycerin or a soap solution is recommended. The liquid softens the fecal masses and stimulates peristalsis for the speedy removal of intestinal contents. With prolonged constipation, it is recommended to take water heated to 35 ° C for the solution, and cold when atony is, the temperature of which is 17-23 ° C.
Siphon enema is designed to remove feces, leaching excess mucus, microorganisms, toxins from the intestines of a dog. For siphon use weak pink solution of potassium permanganate or salt, heated to 40 ° C.
To relax the bowel, normalize the tone, use glycerin, liquid paraffin or isotonic saline. His need to hold, pressing the tail of the animal to the anus.
Nutritional enema is done up to 4 times a day with no appetite in the dog and the weakened animal. After the introduction of the solution, it is necessary to hold it for 10-15 minutes inside to improve the absorption of nutrients.
For through washing of the digestive organs, the tip of the Esmarch cup, smeared with petroleum jelly, is introduced into the anus and raised to a height of 1.5–2 m in order to increase the pressure and ensure the transport of water to the stomach. If the animal began to vomit, then the operation was performed correctly.
Washing is done until the time when almost pure water appears from the mouth of the dog. After that, the tip is removed, and the dog is walked to stimulate peristalsis. After a few hours, the appetite and digestion are getting better.
Contraindications to treatment
Before you put a pet enema, you must consult with a veterinarian, as in some states the procedure may be ineffective, and in some cases endanger the life and health of the pet. You can not use hydrotherapy for:
- a large loss of fluid, so as not to dehydrate the dog's body even more;
- suspicion of inversion of the intestines;
- the presence of cracks, tumors in the intestine;
- internal bleeding;
- systemic pathologies in the acute phase;
- heart and kidney disease;
- any intestinal damage (hemorrhoids, anal fissures, ulcers, injuries, ruptures).
Pregnant and lactating dogs enema is placed only on prescription and with great caution. Often, when poisoning an animal, a siphon enema from a large volume of fluid is recommended. It is not recommended to conduct such a procedure on your own so as not to cause an injury to the intestines. Siphon hydrotherapy should be carried out with the participation or under the supervision of a veterinarian.
How to make an enema dog at home
If the dog is large, then help is needed to fix it and prevent injury. Depending on the breed and the size of the animal, it is placed in a basin, bath or trough and carefully laid on its side. If the dog is large, then it can be laid on an oilcloth covered with a diaper directly on the floor.
The animal should be calm, so it is best when the owner is within sight and soothes, strokes the dog. To prevent injuries, you can wear a muzzle dog. Pour the solution into a syringe or Esmarkh mug, let the air out.
The one who will conduct the procedure must wear medical gloves. The anus of the animal and the tip of the syringe or Esmarch cup (depending on the volume of the enema) are smeared with vaseline oil. Enter the tip into the anus area carefully, without undue pressure. Rotating, moving inwards, adjusting the depth of penetration. It is 2-3 cm for medium and small breeds and up to 5 cm for large ones.
When you press the tank, the liquid should flow out of it evenly, smoothly, without resistance. If the solution does not flow, you must remove the tip and, if necessary, clean the outlet, repeat the procedure. After the introduction of the necessary volume of a medical enema, the tail of a pet is pressed to the anus and the fluid inside is fixed for 10-15 minutes. With a cleansing and siphon enema, water does not need to be held.
With the introduction of large volumes of dog can immediately be emptied, medicinal enemas are so small that they can, without causing discomfort, be inside for a long time. It may take time to exit the contents, so you can and should walk with the dog to stimulate intestinal peristalsis and speed up the evacuation of feces, bones, foreign objects. If necessary, the procedure is worth repeating.
How to prepare a solution
The solution is prepared immediately before administration. The following types are recommended:
- Saline solution is prepared from magnesia powder (English salt) or ordinary salt. To this end, 30 g of sodium chloride or 20 g of magnesia are dissolved in 100 ml of warm water. Enter no more than 50 ml of solution.
- Soda is prepared by dissolving 30 g of baking soda in 1000 ml of warm water. To increase the efficiency, add 10 g of salt.
- Soap is prepared from 1000 ml of warm water and 1 tablespoon of grated baby or any other soap. It has a neutral pH and does not contain fragrances and dyes.
- Chamomile infusion is prepared from 1 tbsp. spoons of dry raw materials and 1000 ml of boiling water. Chamomile is poured, insisted under the lid for 20-30 minutes, filtered and used for astringent enemas.
- Glycerin is made by mixing 1 tbsp. spoons of glycerin with 1000 ml of water.
Self-administration of enemas to the dog must be supported by knowledge and experience, otherwise there is a risk of injury to the intestines of the animal. It is better to seek help from a specialist to learn how to do the procedure yourself later. Any enema requires prior consultation with a veterinarian.