If a puppy appears in the house, then in addition to the joy and fun in the household, many everyday troubles are added. First of all, these are issues of nutrition, vaccination , and appearance care. But still in the first place is the problem of teaching the puppy to the toilet. How to accustom the puppy to the toilet, so that the pet does not experience stress, and the owners impatience?
- Когда следует начинать обучение 1. When to start learning
- Физиологические потребности собаки 2. Physiological needs of the dog
- Правила приучения щенка к туалету 3. Rules of puppy training to the toilet
- Как приучить щенка ходить в туалет на улице 4. How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet on the street
When to Begin Training
Specialists recommend not to postpone the process of training for later, but to begin immediately, as soon as the four-legged friend crossed the threshold of the house. And for such a rush there are well-founded reasons:
- This method is effective - all the rules and commands that are offered to the dog, immediately have the ability to remember quickly and for a long time. Here it is also worth noting that if a puppy is offered the option "that's going to grow up, then we'll start learning", then he will get wind of it and further problems may arise.
- This is the easiest option - the younger the puppy, the more flexible his behavior, during this period you can correct mistakes and bring up the baby.
- In this case, the accustoming to the toilet is fast enough - if the question is approached correctly, then in a week or even earlier, the puppy will learn the laid skill. True, it is necessary to repeat the algorithm of actions quite often.
- The earlier start, the less inconvenience the pet will bring. In housing there will not be an unpleasant "aroma", dirt and joint pastime will only give a positive mood.
- The convenience of quick training is undeniable, in this case the dog will have to rely on the wishes of the owner, and not vice versa.
Physiological needs of the dog
Of course, everything is individual, and how many times a dog needs to be taken out for the management of natural needs depends on many factors - the animal's health status, age, nutrition, the conditions in which it is kept, habits and not only.
On average, an adult healthy dog normally urinates two or three times a day, and defecation occurs once or twice a day. There are a number of reasons why a dog needs extra feeding:
- in hot weather;
- with a diet consisting only of dry food (its consumption implies the use of a large amount of water);
- at low temperatures;
- if the animal suffers from ailments of the genitourinary system or the slowing down of metabolic processes;
- during the hunt for the opposite sex.
Often, frequent urges occur in dogs, including puppies, which are kept on chains or in street cages. Some pets are characterized by constant labeling of the territory, regardless of whether he "walks" or not.
The owner of the dog should observe the animal, analyze all the components and create an individual walking schedule. It is worth remembering that the period between the walks should not be longer than 12 hours, provided that the pet is young, healthy and accustomed to the toilet.
If there are situations of long delays, it can be detrimental to the health and well-being of the dog. Often against this background, various diseases develop - bladder inflammation, urethra, inflammatory process in the kidneys.
There is a formula by which you can calculate the time for which the dog will not make a surprise, but will patiently wait for the next paddock: the age of the pet (in months) + one = the number of hours a dog can tolerate.
Rules for puppy training to the toilet
This question often refers to the content of puppies, and the process has some age-related nuances that should not be ignored in parenting.
Owners in the veterinary clinic are informed that until the immune system is fully formed during the vaccination and after, the pet can not be taken out for walking. In addition, a dog of two to three months of age defecates on average 20 times a day, and even more often. And it turns out that in order to immediately accustom puppy to the toilet on the street, you need two things - a private fenced area and be ready to take your baby all 24 hours a day.
Not everyone can afford such conditions, which means you need to resort to another option - to teach the puppy to go to the toilet at home, but in a strictly designated place.
There are also their own characteristics - dogs - animals are very clean, so owners will have to take seriously the arrangement of amenities for a four-legged friend. Often, mistakes made in this matter, cause the puppy refuses to get used to the new conditions. Among the major failures can be noted the following:
- the location of the toilet near the bowls with food or a couch (each dog has its own estimate of the permissible distance, one only needs to look at its behavior);
- the toilet is too far away or in a place difficult to access: first, the baby will forget about it, and secondly, it may just not be enough to reach. And, according to the instincts, everything that is in the depth of the dwelling (lair) for the dog is a safe place, and going to the toilet it will be on the periphery;
- untimely cleaning of the latrine (like most cats, most dogs are characterized by high cleanliness, in which case the puppy will only go to a clean tray), if possible, it must be done immediately, which at the same time will relieve the house of unpleasant odors;
- placing the tray next to a lot of things, toys, shiny objects, distracted, the kid can and forget where he ran;
- cleaning the toilet with the use of disinfectants with sharp odors can scare the puppy away.
Often, puppies go to the tray only with a certain filler, or, conversely, only in an empty one. And here, for faster training, it is better to listen to the wishes of the pet.
Video on the topic:
How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet on the street
Today no longer cause surprise dogs that go to the toilet, like cats - in the tray. And for them walks - this is a way out in the hands of the hostess. However, this is more an exception to the rules than the norm, and most four-legged pets still go to the toilet on the street.
If the puppy has quarantined (how much time should pass, usually warns the veterinarian), then you can start training.
The younger the puppy, the more often it is necessary to deduce it on the street. Until six months of age, this is at least five times a day, after six months there will be three enough.
The most acceptable time for breeding a pet on the street - 15 minutes after eating, after sleep or active games. If the puppy did everything correctly, then he must necessarily hear praise and preferably get a favorite treat. To start training , games and training is possible only after all the work is done. It is this algorithm of action that a child should learn and know what is being encouraged for it.
It is worth considering that the first time will have to walk until the puppy does not piss and only then return home. Otherwise, the dog will think that it is taken out in order to play and run.
Sometimes it happens that everything is done right, and the puppy is used to going to the toilet on the street. But now, the pet surprises for a surprise, forgetting about what he was taught. The pet owner is puzzled, what's the matter? And there can be several reasons:
- It is worth knowing that in dogs, urination and defecation are associated with the labeling of the territory and are an important part of the language of dogs. Usually, this behavior is associated with the estrus in the bitches and the period of sexual activity in males. This is completely explainable behavior and scold the pet is not worth it, and it is better, if possible, to make walks more frequent.
- Increased desires for evacuation can signal a pet's disease. The most common case is inflammation of the organs of the urinary system, so it is worthwhile to show the dog to the doctor and take the basic tests.
- If you transfer in pet food to dry food in the warm season, then it will consume more liquid. And this, in turn, is another reason for a frequent toilet.
- Puppies and young animals can pee, frightened, or rejoiced. This is due to the immaturity of the nervous system, and in most cases with age this behavior is passing. If this does not happen, it is best to consult a veterinarian or a cynologist.
Accustoming the dog to the paddock is a laborious and laborious task. We will have to be as patient and loyal as possible, because a puppy is a child, demanding attention and love. Only the correct behavior of the owner will allow the baby to understand what is required of him and do it right.