If a puppy appeared in the house, then in addition to the joy and fun of the household a lot of everyday troubles are added. This, above all, issues of nutrition, vaccinations , care for the appearance. But still in the first place is the problem of teaching puppy to the toilet. How to teach a puppy to the toilet, while at the same time the pet is not stressed, and the owners are impatient?
- Когда следует начинать обучение 1. When should I start my studies?
- Физиологические потребности собаки 2. Physiological needs of a dog
- Правила приучения щенка к туалету 3. Rules for training a puppy to the toilet
- Как приучить щенка ходить в туалет на улице 4. How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet outside
When to start learning
Experts recommend not to delay the process of schooling for later, but to begin immediately, as soon as the four-legged friend crossed the threshold of the house. And for such a rush there are well-founded reasons:
- This method is very effective - all the rules and commands that are offered to a dog immediately tend to be remembered quickly and permanently. Here it is also worth noting that if the puppy is offered the option “grow up, then we will start training,” then he pulls him into a mustache and problems may arise in the future.
- This is the easiest option - the younger the puppy, the more flexible his behavior, during this period you can correct mistakes and educate the baby.
- In this case, toilet training is fast enough - if you approach the question correctly, then in a week, or even earlier, the puppy will learn the proper skill. True, it is necessary to repeat the algorithm of actions quite often.
- The earlier the start, the less inconvenience the pet will deliver. Housing will not be present unpleasant "flavor", dirt and joint pastime will give only a positive mood.
- The convenience of quick training is indisputable, in this case the dog will have to focus on the desires of the owner, and not vice versa.
Dog physiological needs
Of course, everything is individual, and how many times a dog needs to be bred to meet natural needs depends on many factors - the state of animal health, age, nutrition, the conditions in which it is kept, habits and not only.
On average, an adult healthy dog normally urinates two or three times a day, and defecation occurs once or twice a day. There are a number of reasons why a dog needs additional runs:
- in hot weather;
- with a diet consisting only of dry food (its consumption implies consuming large amounts of water);
- at low temperatures;
- if the animal suffers from urogenital diseases or slowing down of metabolic processes;
- while hunting for the opposite sex.
Often, increased urges are found in dogs, including puppies, which are kept on chains or in street enclosures. Some pets are characterized by constant marking of the territory, regardless of whether it is “walking” or not.
The dog owner must observe the animals, analyze all the components and create an individual schedule of walking. It is worth remembering that the period between runs should not be longer than 12 hours, provided that the pet is young, healthy and accustomed to the toilet.
If there are situations of long delays, then this can adversely affect the health and well-being of the dog. Often, against this background, various diseases develop - inflammation of the bladder, urethra, inflammation in the kidneys.
There is a formula by which you can calculate the time for which the dog will not make a surprise, but will wait patiently for the next walk: pet's age (in months) + one = the number of hours the dog can suffer.
Rules for training a puppy to the toilet
This question most often relates to the content of puppies, and the process has some age nuances that should not be ignored when raising.
The owners in the veterinary clinic inform that before the complete formation of the immune system during the vaccination period and after, the pet cannot be taken out for walking. In addition, a dog of two to three months of age defecates on average 20 times a day, and even more often. And it turns out that in order to immediately teach a puppy to the toilet on the street, you need two things - a private fenced area and be ready to take the kid 24 hours a day.
Not everyone can afford such conditions, which means that you need to resort to another option - to teach a puppy to go to the toilet at home, but in a strictly designated place.
There are also their own characteristics - dogs - animals are very clean, so owners will have to seriously consider the arrangement of amenities for a four-legged friend. Often, the mistakes made in this matter cause the puppy to refuse to get used to the new conditions. Among the main misses are the following:
- the location of the toilet close to the bowls of food or stove bench (each dog has its own estimate of the allowable distance, you only need to look at its behavior);
- the toilet is too far away or in a hard-to-reach place: firstly, the baby will forget about it, secondly, it may simply not have time to reach it. And, according to instincts, everything that is in the depth of the dwelling (den) for a dog is a safe place, and he will go to the toilet on the periphery;
- untimely cleaning of the latrine (like most cats, most dogs are characterized by increased cleanliness, and in this case, the puppy will walk only in a clean tray), if possible, it must be done right away, which at the same time saves the house from unpleasant odors;
- placing the tray next to a lot of things, toys, shiny objects, distracted, the baby may forget where he ran;
- cleaning the toilet using disinfectants with strong odors can scare the puppy.
Often, puppies go to the tray only with a certain filling, or, conversely, only empty. And here, for faster training, it is better to listen to the wishes of the pet.
How to teach a puppy to go to the toilet outside
Today, dogs that go to the toilet, like cats to the tray, are not surprising. And for them, walks are an outlet in the hands of the hostess. However, this is more the exception to the rule than the norm, and most four-legged pets still go to the toilet on the street.
If the puppy is out of quarantine (the veterinarian usually warns about how much time must pass), then you can start training.
The younger the puppy, the more often it will be necessary to take him outside. Until the age of six months it is at least five times a day, after six months, three will suffice.
The most acceptable time to bring a pet out is 15 minutes after eating, after sleeping or playing games. If the puppy did everything right, then he must hear the praise and it is desirable to get a favorite treat. To start training , games and training is possible only after all things are done. This is the algorithm of actions that a kid should learn and know for what he is encouraged.
It is worth considering that the first time will have to walk, while the puppy does not pee and only then return home. Otherwise the dog will think that it is being deduced in order to play and run.
Sometimes it happens that everything is done correctly, and the puppy is used to the fact that you need to go to the toilet outside. But here, the pet presents a surprise after a surprise, forgetting about what he was taught. The pet owner wonders what's the matter? And there can be several reasons:
- It is worth knowing that in dogs, urination and defecation are associated with tagging of territory and are an important part of the dog's language. Usually this behavior is associated with estrus in bitches and a period of sexual activity in males. This is a completely understandable behavior and you should not scold the pet, and it is better, if possible, to make walks more frequent.
- Frequent urges to empty can signal pet diseases. The most common cause is inflammation of the urinary organs, so you should show the dog to the doctor and pass the basic tests.
- If you translate the pet food to dry food in the warm season, it will consume more fluid. And this, in turn, is another reason for frequent toilet.
- Puppies and young animals can urinate, frightened, or happy. This is due to the immaturity of the nervous system, and in most cases this behavior passes with age. If this does not happen, it is best to consult a veterinarian or a dog handler.
Schooling a dog for walking is a rather laborious and laborious business. You have to be as patient and loyal as possible, because a puppy is a child that requires attention and love. Only the correct behavior of the owner will allow the baby to understand what is required of him and do everything correctly.