Pug is a tiny sweet creature that can become a faithful and faithful companion. This breed of urban dogs - long-livers. But in order to please your masters for many years, it is necessary that the dog be healthy. Care for dogs is almost the same, but due to some peculiarities of the structure, the pug needs special treatment. Let's figure out how to properly care for a pug.
Rules for feeding a pug
Pug is a lover of food, so it is necessary to monitor the ration of the animal in order to avoid obesity. This kid is a beggar and likes to eat delicious.
- From an early age, pug must be limited in food . Puppies are fed in small portions 4-5 times a day. When he reaches the age of six months, the number of feeds is reduced to 3 times, and after 8 months the animal is fed as an adult - 2 times a day.
- The pug's diet should have meat . It can be horse meat, beef, veal - any lean meat, except pork. His pussy stomach is difficult to digest.
- The source of cellulose and microelements are cereals . The dog can be fed with porridges cooked from pearl barley, rice, buckwheat.
- In the diet of the animal must be vitamins . Fresh fruits and vegetables after heat treatment will replenish the body with the necessary minerals.
- Dairy products should also be in a pug bowl. It is better to give him sour-milk (low-fat cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk). Milk causes a baby stomach upset. It is better to exclude it. Because of the peculiarities of the structure of the jaws, it is difficult for a dog to eat liquid food. Therefore, you must give preference to hard, finely chopped food.
On sale there are various dry and wet forages, which are specially designed for pugs. They completely satisfy the needs of the dog, and a balanced composition does not require additional administration of vitamin and mineral supplements. In addition, feed contains more vegetable proteins and less fat, which helps to eliminate obesity in small gluttons.
Read more about feeding a pug .
Features of hygiene procedures
- Bathing . Pugs are home dogs, so do not require frequent bathing . It is enough to wash the animal as it gets dirty.
- Combing . To ensure that the dog's coat is shiny and well-groomed, it is enough to comb it once a week, and during moulting - once every two days. In specialized stores are sold brushes - mittens with metal teeth or natural bristles with pile. To comb it is necessary on the growth of wool, gently and delicately. Trained pugs from the childhood love the process of grooming and do not resist leaving.
- Claws . Requires grooming and pug claws. They do not grind and can deform the toes of their paws if they are not cut . This procedure should be done 1-2 times a month.
- Ears . Especial attention is required by the ears of the toddlers. They can break down at the age of 3-4 months. To maintain the correct shape of the ears, they must be glued with a regular adhesive plaster. The rules for conducting such a procedure can be learned from a veterinarian or an experienced breeder. You need to clean your ears correctly . Carefully enough, trying not to damage the ear canal, clean the ear from sulfur, dust with an ordinary ear stick moistened with sea buckthorn oil. Remains should be removed with a dry cosmetic disk.
Pug Eye Care
Pug eyes, due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure, are often exposed not only to infection but also to frequent injuries. Clean the dog's eyes with a dry cotton pad or swab, removing mucus and dust. If there are not only mucous membranes but also purulent crusts, this indicates inflammatory processes.
You can treat eye diseases by laying tetracycline ophthalmic ointment or levomycitinic, kanomycin ointment behind the eyelid. If as a result of a trauma , tears flow in the dog , then the eyes are dripped with drops, alternating with an antibiotic and a regenerating agent. In any case, you need to immediately consult a doctor.
Since the eyes of dogs of this breed are often subjected to corneal erosion, eyelid reversal or atypical eyelash growth, one must carefully monitor their health. At the slightest sign of pathology, you need to seek medical help.
Skin folding treatment
Muzzle . The folded muzzle of a pug also requires care. In the folds, sweat accumulates, dust separating from the eyes, which causes an unpleasant odor and irritation. The folds are cleaned with special hypoallergenic wipes, cotton wool, dampened with alcohol-free lotion for children's skin, hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine solution and sprinkled with baby powder. The procedure is sufficient to hold once a week, but if the folds are massive and hinder the air circulation, then clean the folds twice a week.
The nose . Nursing requires the tip of the pug nose. The skin on it is dry, prone to cracking. Therefore, the spout should also be nourished - lubricate with baby oil.
If the skin in the folds is inflamed, then experienced dog breeders recommend treating inflammation with Levomikol or Malovit ointments. They eliminate pimples, intertrigo, irritation. But before you treat, you need to consult a veterinarian, since the cause of inflammation may be demodicosis , a disease that causes a skin mite.
Walking and content
Walking . In the life of a pug, walks play an important role. The dog has a developed musculature and, in order to support it, the dog must actively move, and not just walk on a leash. To do this, use different toys, flying saucers, balls. You need to walk the dog 2-3 times a day. Animals of this breed are prone to diseases of the heart and the musculoskeletal system. Walking stimulates blood circulation, strengthens the muscular frame, prevents obesity.
It is necessary to carefully choose the route for walking and the place of walking. Pug is a decorative dog and the sense of danger is less developed than in other breeds. It should be watched that near the place for walking there was not a lively highway, and on the site - branches, broken glass, tall grass, which the dog can be injured.
You can walk only after all the vaccinations. At first, it's enough to spend 15-20 minutes with a baby on the street, gradually increasing the range to 1-2 hours.
Sleeping place . It is necessary to properly equip and bed baby. It should be in the part of the room, protected from drafts, but not near heating appliances. For the couch, you can use a foam mattress with removable covers. Due to the fact that the dog snores loudly, some owners lock it in a separate room. This attitude can be detrimental to the psyche of this sociable and affable animal.
Proper care for the dog will allow to live a long, according to dog standards, life in health and joy. And caring for a pug puppy at home is no problem.