Mowing claws is not the most pleasant, but one of the important hygienic procedures for caring for a four-footed pet. The growth of claws in dogs continues throughout life, and hence their circumcision, this is a regular exercise, to which the dog should be taught as early as possible. How to cut the claws of a dog, what is needed for this, and how often this procedure should be carried out - these questions are most of a concern for dog owners who want to see their pet healthy and beautiful.
Preparation for clipping
A very important point in this process is the choice of the right tool. There are two types of claws:
- type scissors - have an external similarity and the principle of action, like a scissors, the claw is located between the two blades and they are connected after pressing the handles;
- type of guillotine - the claw has a hole in which the claw is placed, the grips are compressed, the blade descends and the portion of the nail plate is cut off.
To cut the claws of a dog at home, you can use any type of tool, only a claw-guillotine is a bit harder to cut too thick claws of large breed dogs.
In addition, you need to try to conduct the procedure at the most appropriate time. For example, a dog will resist less if it has just come from a long walk or ate.
Before you start the action, you need to prepare everything you need. In addition to clamping, a hemostatic can be useful (if the claw is too deeply cut) and, as a reward for good behavior and patience, a favorite treat.
Although it is not recommended to cut the claws too shortly, even professionals are not immune from mistakes and one must be prepared for such a variant.
If the pet has never undergone such a procedure, then you can try to prepare it in advance. For this you need to sit down next to the dog several times a day, iron it, take a paw in your hands and hold it for a while. When she gets used to such manipulations, you can try to touch the paws with the instrument and at the same time necessarily talk to the pet, distracting him. As soon as the dog normally takes it, you can quietly cut the wool from the paws, and then tackle and claw. So, how to cut the claws of a dog?
Claw clipping process
Some owners of dogs were lucky if the breeders themselves tried and taught the puppies to this procedure. If this happened, then special circumcision claws will not cause. Otherwise, it will be necessary to exert some efforts and to show patience in training.
It is recommended to first see how the claws are cut off by the professionals, then to carry out the procedure on their own, but with the participation of one more person as an assistant.
It is necessary to take care of a convenient, well-lit place in advance. The helper should put the pet on one side, trying to keep it in one position, while gently stroking and uttering affectionate words. Once the dog calms down and relaxes, you can proceed to action.
If the pet has light, transparent claws, then there will be no special problems, as the vessels of the circulatory system that are inside can be seen with the naked eye. It is necessary to cut the nail plate in such a way that it does not damage it and does not bring the dog painful sensations. With dark claws, it is necessary to cut it "by eye", and in order not to damage the vessels, it is necessary to touch only the curving part of the claw.
It is important at circumcision to be as neat as possible, so as not to touch the soft tissues that are located inside the claw. Otherwise, the pet can begin to bleed, he will feel pain and next time will refuse such manipulations.
It is not necessary to cut the claw at one stroke, it is better to do it gradually, cutting off 2-3 mm of the plate.
As already mentioned, even the pros in their business can make a blunder and still damage the blood vessel during the clipping of claws. There is nothing particularly terrible in this situation, but nevertheless it is necessary to process the wound that has been formed. To do this, antiseptics are suitable - you can attach a tampon or a bandage moistened with hydrogen peroxide, or sprinkle with a small amount of streptocid. You can also attach a tampon with potassium permanganate to the affected area and hold it for a while. After this, the dog should be encouraged by treating her with her favorite treat.
After all the trimmed edges need to be sharpened with a special nail file. If bleeding from a damaged vessel does not stop or is abundant, you should immediately contact the veterinary clinic for help.
Video on the topic:
Tips and Tricks
There are several specific rules that the pet owner needs to know before the procedure:
- With a timely mowing, the living part of the claw (pulp) can move a little deeper and then the clipping of the claws will not be necessary at all.
- Even if the dog is too active and spends much time on the street, it is necessary to regularly inspect the pads of her paws, including the nail plates for damage. On the subordinate finger of the front legs are claws, which most often grow into the skin.
- When choosing a tool, you need to pay attention to the convenience of the handle and the sharpness of the blades. The latter quality can be decisive, since it is not possible to cut the hard layers of the claw with an insufficiently sharp claw.
- Favorable time for circumcision of claws is the period after the pet's adoption of water procedures. Firstly, the relaxed dog will not resist violently, and secondly, the claws soaked in water are easier to shear.
- If the dog is large, it does not mean that he will strongly resist. Practice shows that representatives of small breeds are more troublesome, have many bad habits, and this is due to their quiet, measured life.
- It is not necessary for pet owners to show their uncertainty and fear before the procedure, as the dog can feel it and try to escape from the upcoming manipulation.
- You can not start cutting without evaluating the condition of all claws, since you can miss an infectious disease or other damage to the pads of the paws.
- To trim it was more comfortable, you can remove the wool growing in the area of the paws and interfere with the full review.
- Cut an adult dog is more difficult than a puppy. Only after successfully completing several procedures, the animal will cease to fear. That is why it is recommended to train young individuals or their puppies.
Mowing claws is a troublesome business, but very serious and important. After spending some time on the dog manicure, you can significantly improve the quality of life of the pet and avoid many unpleasant consequences.