Claw clipping is not the most pleasant, but one of the most important hygienic procedures for the care of a four-legged pet. The growth of claws in dogs continues throughout life, which means their circumcision is a regular exercise, which the dog should be taught as soon as possible. How to cut the claws of a dog, what is needed for this and how often this procedure should be carried out - these questions most of all concern the owners of dogs who want to see their pet healthy and beautiful.
Claw Clipping Preparation
A very important point in this process is choosing the right tool. There are two types of clappers:
- type of scissors - have an external similarity and the principle of action, as in scissors, the claw is located between two blades and they are connected after pressing the handles;
- guillotine type - the clipper has a hole in which the claw is placed, the handles are compressed, the blade is lowered and cuts off part of the nail plate.
To cut the dog's claws at home, you can use any type of tool, only with a guillotine clipper it is a little more difficult to cut off the too thick claws of large breed dogs.
In addition, you need to try to carry out the procedure at the most appropriate time. For example, a dog will resist less if it has just come from a long walk or has eaten.
Before you proceed to action, you need to prepare everything you need. In addition to the clipper, a hemostatic agent (if the claw is cut too deeply) can be useful and, as a reward for good behavior and patience, a favorite delicacy.
Although too short to cut the claws is not recommended, because even the professionals are not immune from mistakes and we must be prepared for this option.
If the pet has never undergone a similar procedure, then you can try to prepare it in advance. To do this, several times a day, sit down next to the dog, stroke it, take a paw in hand and hold it for a while. When she gets used to such manipulations, you can try to touch the paws of the instrument and at the same time be sure to talk to your pet, distracting him. As soon as the dog perceives it normally, you can slowly cut the hair off the paws, and then do the claws. So, how to cut the dog's claws?
Claw clipping process
Some dog owners are lucky if the breeders themselves have tried and taught puppies to this procedure. If this happens, cutting the claws will not cause any special difficulties. Otherwise, you will have to make some efforts and show patience in schooling.
It is recommended to first see how the professionals cut the claws of the dog, then carry out the procedure independently, but with the participation of another person as an assistant.
It is necessary to take care of a comfortable, well-lit place in advance. The assistant must put the pet on one side, trying to keep it in one position, while gently stroking and uttering gentle words. As soon as the dog calms down and relaxes, you can proceed to action.
If the pet has bright, transparent claws, it means that there will be no special problems, as with the naked eye one can notice the vessels of the circulatory system inside. It is necessary to cut off the nail plate in such a way as not to damage it and not to give the dog painful sensations. With dark claws, it will be necessary to cut by eye, and in order not to damage the vessels, only the curving part of the claw will be affected.
It is important when cutting to be as careful as possible so as not to touch the soft tissues that are located inside the claw. Otherwise, the pet may begin to bleed, he will feel pain, and the next time he will refuse such manipulations.
It is not necessary to cut off the claw in one fell swoop, it is better to do it gradually, cutting off 2-3 mm plates.
As already mentioned, even a professional in his own business can commit a blunder and still damage a blood vessel during trimming claws. There is nothing especially terrible in such a situation, but you still need to treat the wound. For this, antiseptic preparations are suitable - you can attach a tampon or a bandage moistened with hydrogen peroxide, or powder with a small amount of streptocide. You can also attach a tampon with potassium permanganate to the affected area and hold it for a while. After that, the dog should be encouraged, having treated her with a favorite delicacy.
After you need to cut all trimmed edges with a special nail file. If bleeding from an injured vessel does not stop or is abundant, you should immediately contact a veterinary clinic for help.
Useful tips and tricks
There are some specific rules that the pet owner needs to know before the procedure:
- With timely trimming, the living part of the claw (pulp) can move a little deeper and then the cutting of claws is not needed at all.
- Even if the dog is too active and spends a lot of time outdoors, you should regularly inspect the pads of its paws, including the nail plates, for damage. The paws of the front paws are claws that most often grow into the skin.
- When choosing a tool, you need to pay attention to the convenience of the handle and the sharpness of the blades. The latter quality can be decisive, since it is not enough to cut the hard layers of the claw with an insufficient sharp clipper.
- A favorable time for clipping claws is the period after the pet has adopted water procedures. Firstly, a relaxed dog will not resist violently, and secondly, claws soaked in water are easier to shear off.
- If the dog is large, it does not mean that he will strongly resist. Practice shows that representatives of small breeds cause more trouble, have a lot of bad habits, and this is due to their quiet, measured life.
- It is not necessary for pet owners to show their insecurity and fear before the procedure, as the dog may feel and try to escape from the upcoming manipulation.
- You can not start trimming without assessing the condition of all claws, as you can skip an infectious disease or other damage to the paws.
- To make haircut more comfortable, you can remove wool that grows in the area of the paws and hinders full visibility.
- Cutting an adult dog is more difficult than puppy. Only after having successfully completed several procedures, the animal will cease to be afraid. That is why it is recommended to teach young individuals or their puppies.
Claw clipping is troublesome, but very serious and important. Having spent some time on a dog manicure, you can significantly improve the quality of life of a pet and avoid many unpleasant consequences.