Often the owners, enthusiastically starting to feed their pet according to the principle - everything that is useful to me, is useful to my friend and my four-footed dog, they face some problems, as dogs often get sick when they get food from the master's table. There are other situations when the owner is tired of cooking large amounts of food for his once tiny, but grown in size from a calf, pet. Whatever the reason, the owners come to a common opinion and begin to select the most useful dry diets for their pets. How to transfer the dog to dry food , so that the changes do not negatively affect the state of health of the ward?
Rules for transferring the dog to dry food
Before drastically changing the menu of your caudate (or tailless) comrade, it is worth reading about some of the postulates underlying the dog's transfer to dry food:
- It's important not to hurry . Any changes in the diet of a dog are stress for her body, what can we say about replacing natural products with industrial dry food. If this is done abruptly, then the animal often has various kinds of health problems. As a result, the pet can suffer from disorders of defecation - constipation or diarrhea, it may develop vomiting, increased gas production and other disorders in the activity of the gastrointestinal tract. This is a good reason for the gradual transfer of the dog to a new food for him.
- It is better to give preference to high quality foods . Saving on dog food is a thankless task. Firstly, the stress from switching to "drying" will increase several times. Secondly, after trying the granules with flavors and enhancers, the dog will later give up better quality rations. Thirdly, choosing economical feed of poor quality, it should be noted that their consumption is much higher than that of high-class feed. This is especially noticeable if the pet refers to representatives of large or giant breeds. Ideally, before changing the diet, you need to contact a veterinarian who will offer the best option for your dog. If there is no such possibility, it is worth to get acquainted with the ratings of the best feeds, and choose from those that belong to the premium class, super premium and holistic, the most suitable. But, even observing this recommendation, no one is immune from the fact that the feed does not fit. Therefore, it is worthwhile to prepare and choose several alternative rations for replacement.
- It is very important to maintain the water balance . Getting a natural food, the dog with it receives a certain amount of moisture. But in the case of dry diets this will not happen. Now, food and water for the pet are separate components. Therefore, it is worth taking care that the dog has round the clock access to clean drinking water. And if the dog often turns the bowl, you need to make sure that this does not happen with a container of water, and the pet did not stay without the necessary drinking. Especially the dog will be thirsty in the first days after transfer to dry food, it will be very often drink. This is normal and the pet needs to be satisfied. Another nuance - the dog begins to drink more, which means that he will often go to the toilet. While the body has not completely adapted to the new feeding regime, it is more often to walk your four-legged friend. This will not only save the house from foul-smelling puddles, but also contribute to better digestion of food, since during movement the work of the gastrointestinal tract passes more intensively.
By the way, choosing a suitable menu, based on the age and size of the dog, you should always feed it with this food, without changing the brand, if there is no good reason for it.
Step-by-step transfer of the dog to dry food
As already noted, when translating a dog into ready-made rations to rush to anything. Moreover, it is necessary to do this when the pet has no health problems, and he feels great.
The whole period of the transfer can take from a week to one and a half. It should be every day methodically to increase the amount of dry food, and make a portion of natural food less:
- The first two days of the ratio of natural products and a dry diet is 3: 1.
- 3, 4, 5 day - the amount of "drying" and "naturalki" is balanced and is 50: 50%.
- The end of the first week - only 1/4 of all the daily food received by the pet is previously habitual food, the rest is a ready-made diet.
- 9, 10, 11, 12th day - natural food is still present in the dog's menu, but its share does not exceed 15% of the total diet. In the future, the dog can only be fed with ready-made food.
It should be borne in mind that with this type of feeding, the break between feeding should be at least 12 hours, in extreme cases - 10 hours.
- how much dry food to give to the dog ;
- dry food for dogs of small breeds ;
- dry food for dogs of large breeds .
How to understand that the food came up
This question is of interest to many novice dog breeders or owners who have just decided to change the type of feeding their pets. Naturally, the main indicator is the health and well-being of the pet. Among the alarming signs signaling that the feed does not suit him, the following phenomena can be noted:
- vomiting, difficult bowel movements or diarrhea;
- increased hair loss, not associated with seasonal moult;
- redness of the ears;
- sour eyes;
- the dog became listless, apathetic, asleep more than usual.
In this case, it is important to get a consultation from a veterinarian, without thinking that this phenomenon will pass with time. An excellent, beautiful coat is a "mirror" of the activity of the digestive system. And if this system fails, the dog can be observed dandruff, the appearance of itching, bald patches and other phenomena that speak of negative changes.
Food allergies are a nuisance that many dog owners face. And when you transfer a pet from natural food to dry food, it often manifests itself, so it is worth to familiarize yourself in advance with the symptoms of allergic manifestations:
- itching of the skin and irritation (parasites are absent);
- there are foci of hair loss;
- there are wet areas in the armpits;
- from the pet a sugary, slightly sweetish odor begins to emerge;
- lacrimation increases;
- there are darkish discharge from the ears.
This symptomatology requires the elimination of an agent of allergy and treatment that eliminates unpleasant symptoms. Naturally, this must be done under the supervision of a veterinarian.
If the dog quietly transferred the transition to a new diet, he does not have the above symptoms, he is cheerful and cheerful - then, the food chosen is what you need. But first time the owner should look at the quality of the pet's chair, assess how often he goes to the toilet and whether there are any changes in behavior.