Dogs, like people, have different temperaments, behavior, habits. Some are quiet and thoughtful, others are loud and restless. For some, barking is a warning about danger, for others - expression of any emotion (joy, fear, longing, surprise). What should I do if I have a pet barking at you for anything? If there is a kid in the house that the dog constantly wakes up, neighbors who are unhappy with constant barking, and weekends that begin much earlier than desired ... How to disaccustom the dog to bark? In fact, with a competent approach, this behavior is amenable to correction.
Why does the dog barks
Many people think that barking is a way of communicating with four-legged friends. The truth is there, but more often the information is transmitted thanks to howling, whining, growling sounds, rather than barking. But for barking there are several reasons:
- Fear - at the level of instincts the dog is sure that it is not worth waiting for an attack, but it is better to warn a foe that he should not do this. Naturally, a self-confident and powerful dog will not behave this way. Often he makes noises when no one is at home.
- Excitation - the dog barks when someone calls or knocks on the door, protects the territory, is frightened or glad to see someone. Any emotional shock in this case is accompanied by barking. This behavior signals an unbalanced psyche and an insufficient upbringing of the pet.
- Boredom - in this situation, the dog makes barking, turning into a howl, and you can hear it when the animal sits alone. There are breeds whose representatives are very hard at being lonely. They either start to mess up, or bark, and often - both. Firstly, when acquiring a dog, it is worth getting acquainted with the characteristics of the breed. If the whole day at home there is no one, it is better to choose a more calm, phlegmatic animal. Secondly, it is necessary to provide the pet with leisure, leave various toys and puzzles that can take a pet. And thirdly, before leaving, you should walk the dog well, as a tired pet will sleep for several hours and not remember boredom.
- The game is the most adequate manifestation, permissible for a well-educated pet, in addition to real danger. The dog "breaks away", "releases steam", gets rid of surplus energy and enjoys it.
Given the above, we can conclude - the dogs never bark just like that, for no reason. There is always an occasion for such behavior.
Also read about:
Basic mistakes of owners
Before doing corrective work, it is necessary to find out the reason for the excessive emotionality of the pet. If the dog gives a voice for no apparent reason - during a meal, waking up suddenly at night, then, it may be about the ill health of the pet. To exclude this option, you should consult a veterinarian who examines the dog for inflammation, internal trauma, neurological disorders.
If the pet is healthy, then several methods and possible errors should be considered. For example, you can not encourage barking. Many owners of pets with their struggle for silence achieve a reverse reaction. Here we are talking about the innate instinct of people's orientation, that is, any action of the dog that has received encouragement - there is confirmation of its correctness. To stop barking on any occasion, you should listen to the following recommendations:
- It is necessary to teach the dog the command "quietly".
- You can not react to barking, as the pet flattery any attention, even negative.
- You should pay more attention to the animal, as barking can be a signal that the dog is not self-confident and lonely.
- Approach the dog is necessary only after stopping barking, otherwise it will use it to attract attention.
- It is not recommended to give commands "fu" or "impossible", so that the dog stops barking, these teams have a different purpose.
- You can not scream, scold your pet during barking, as this further irritates the animal, inspires confidence in him that such a reaction is supported even by the owner!
You can not make the dog silent, if it so warns that it wants to attack, for example, a stranger who has come to your territory. This is a normal reaction from the guard dogs, giving the alien time to leave the territory. In this case, it is necessary not to wean the pet to bark, but to register with him for courses to reduce aggression and teach self-control.
Many owners, leaving the house, and hearing the dog barking, return, hoping to bring the animal to rest. Do not do this. In this case, it is worth listening to how long the dog can bark in the absence of the owner. If this lasts for more than a quarter of an hour, then we will have to resort to certain methods of stopping barking.
Methods of behavior correction
If the owner is determined decisively, then you should be patient, as the adjustment always takes longer than training. You can educate a dog only in a calm state, without showing excessive emotionality, even in the voice.
You can apply one method that can stop an uncontrolled barking: take the dog by the ears, rub them or squeeze a little. Before use, try it on a calm dog. If the pet did not show displeasure, then at the time of barking, he will be somewhat surprised, but he will stop barking. As soon as the dog is silent, it should be encouraged and distracted from the object that caused the excitement.
If the dog reacts violently to the arrival of guests, then distract the animal from this occupation. It is possible to offer the pet to execute several commands, having made 2-3 approaches. And to start better with the simplest, which the dog performs best, even if there are distractions. As a result, the dog looks at the owner, the guests are delighted with the dog (and these cunning people like admiration from the side), complements the idyll with a tasty encouragement.
Very often dogs tend to stormy manifestation of "protective" qualities. A doorphone, a bell or a knock at the door turns an adequate pet into a wildly crazy, scornful, barking dog. Yes, the reaction to outsiders should be present, but not so intense. A well-bred dog approaches the door and can growl.
Naturally, to scold a dog in this case is useless. Here, too, the distraction technique works. Each time, the dog should be distracted by the game or commands, but it should be done regularly.
Find out how:
Video on how to wean the dog bark
How to leave one pet
Many owners have a question, how to calm down a pet, if he, left alone, begins to bark loudly and loudly? After all, it's impossible 24 hours to be near a pet. For this situation, there are also several options:
- Quality walking is a long walk with games, jogs, a lot of impressions can exhaust the most active. After coming home, it will be necessary to feed-drink the pet and go to work-study, the dog will rest.
- Soothing means - they can be used if you get enough sleep, the dog is taken for a favorite thing - barking. About what drugs are more effective, it is better to consult a veterinarian. They eliminate excitability, can have a sedative effect. It should be borne in mind that many funds are used by courses, and some only when there is an urgent need. You can resort to herbal remedies, and wear a collar with soothing herbs.
- The collar is the safest way. However, it is necessary to remove and wear it only when it really is needed. After the removal of the dog should be led to the paddock and give the opportunity to play and run.
- ESHO - the use of electro-shock collar - a hard way to wean the dog bark. This accessory reacts to the guttural vibrations and acts with a small discharge of current.
- There is also a similar system - Anti-barking, but already with an ultrasonic reaction to barking, the sound acts until the dog is silenced. The method can be used if the dog does not cause hysteria.
- Collar, spraying agent with an unpleasant aroma for the pet, for example, citrus. This accessory also responds to the sounds of the larynx. Sensing the smell, the dog is distracted from barking.
- Another device that allows you to wean the dog from the wailing is a collar with vibration. Such a mechanical effect distracts the animal, the pet begins to look for a source of vibration. However, there is a possibility that the dog will get used to the buzz and stop responding to it.
Acquiring a dog, it is worth considering that in most cases, these animals are loud, often noisy, they can indulge in and spoil things. Taking a pet, a person assumes all responsibility. If one of the main problems is barking, then this defect can be got rid of, using the recommendations of professionals and not allow mistakes in upbringing.
Faced with difficulties, it is necessary to solve the problem, and not to scold the pet or try to get rid of it. A person should be responsible for those who have tamed.