The command "place" pet hears almost from the first days of the appearance in the new house. Of course, the owners determine in advance where their pet will be located and equip the territory with everything they need. But far from always the owners fully understand what kind of team it is and how to make training effective and comfortable. It is also useful to learn the differences in the training and education of a puppy and an adult dog.
So, let's see how to teach a puppy a team place.
Training a baby up to 4 months
At the command "place" the dog should go to his place and stay there as long as it is required by the owner. Usually the crumbs get into a new home when they are 2-2.5 months old and the first days are adaptive. The kid misses his family, is under stress from new conditions and gets used to them.
The “place” command is simple and requires monotonous repetition. First of all, it is necessary to ensure that she is associated with a pet with a specific area of the dwelling.
At first, everything goes in a natural way: the puppy has eaten, has played and is tired - you cannot miss this moment. As soon as it begins to fit, it must be picked up, carried and laid on the bedding. Laying, it is recommended to say “place!”, To caress the baby and after 3-4 seconds to praise him, saying “well done” or “good.”
If the actions led to the puppy getting sick to sleep, you should not retreat. The team is still given, and the baby should be held in place for about 5 seconds. You can not reset the age feature - a dog younger than 4 months is not able to show restraint, so even if he lies for several seconds without getting up, this is already a success!
As soon as the puppy remembers the route to the litter, you can do a phased working out of the team. To do this, you can use training according to the following rules:
- In front of the puppy's eyes, a tasty piece rushes to the litter, the dog runs after him, and the owner gives the command - “a place!”.
- The treat hides behind the toy on the litter, the puppy is given a command. He, going to the place, finds a snack.
- The pet hears the command, performs, for which it is waiting for encouragement in the form of goodies and master's praise.
Kids toys are not less, if not more interesting than food, therefore, they can be used as a reward. The process of learning the “place!” Command for a puppy of 4-5 months is considered successful if: a dog, having heard this word, goes to the litter and stays on it for 5-7 seconds, and here he is poisoned when he wants to rest or go to bed.
The pet corner must under all conditions remain a safe area. It is impossible to punish him when he is on his own bed / bedding, in no case, even if the puppy ran into the place, making a bad mess.
How to train an older puppy?
From five to seven months, almost all puppies can work for endurance. And it is already possible to apply the OKD standards, according to which, the dog not only performs the task, but also lingers on the spot. The task is gradually complicated. Moreover, the training goes beyond the usual conditions - on the street the dog must learn to perceive the designated object as a place.
The training includes 3 stages:
- Stage I - teach the dog to stay in place. Pet must be led to the territory, which is a "place", give the command "lie" and encourage. Then you should stand up, turn your back to the animal, say the command "place" clearly and loudly. If a command is given by a gesture, then a hand is pulled forward and movement is made with the palm down, backhand. You should take a few steps, and if the dog gets up, then you need to go back and repeat the command again. Training can be called successful if the dog lies while the owner departs. The distance of the waste increases gradually until it reaches 3 meters. The same can be said about time - at first it is necessary for the owner to move back and immediately return back, but you can gradually linger for a few seconds until the period is 15 seconds. After the owner returns to the pet and does not forget about the praise and encouragement.
- Stage II - the dog learns to come to the place (the distance does not exceed 3 meters). Getting up to the pet, staying in place, the owner commands “to me!”. When the dog has completed the command, he should be encouraged, and then continue training using one of the following methods:
- hold a piece of treat in your hand, say the command "place", take the dog to the place and put it. After that you should say “good” and give a piece;
- take a leash around the collar (better if it is a parfors), using jerk movements and pronouncing the command - “place, place, place”, take the dog to the starting position. Here she is given the command to "lie", and after the execution should be earned encouragement.
As soon as the pet understands what its owner is seeking, you can slowly lag behind the dog when it returns to its place. The task can be considered assimilated, if the dog, having received the command, independently returns to the place and assumes a lying position.
- Stage III - the continuation of the second stage, but with a significant increase in distance. It is necessary to take into account that from a distance of 10-15 meters the dog will not hear the command, and shouting means to show weakness, therefore only gestures are used. The task can be complicated by giving additional commands when the dog performs the main one. For example, when returning to the main position, invite the dog to lie down, sit down, or give a voice.
If further training is needed, then the dog’s protective and guard courses will teach them to guard the object that the owner left, and to attack the enemy from the protected area. In addition, the correct performance of the team "place" is evaluated on any demonstration performances.
If we consider the training of adult dogs, the technique does not differ from the above. In any case, it is necessary to start from the beginning, gradually increasing the requirements and complicating the task.
It does not matter whether a big dog or a small, purebred or half-breed, he must learn a set of basic commands that will make living together and communicating with a pet more comfortable. And the owner should pay attention to this aspect.