Dogs, like any pets, require care. And if everything is more or less clear with food and walking, then how to properly care for the dog's hair, namely, to carry out her combing? In this issue, a lot of nuances, because the representatives of canine have a variety of fur coats - with long hair, short, curly or even rope. What kind of knowledge needs to be armed, and what tools will be needed for this procedure?
Accessories for combing dogs
There are quite a lot of different means that can support the pet's fur in perfect shape: it's combs, and puffers, and collo cutters, and cardamins, etc.
The most common tools, of course, are the comb. But, of course, we are talking about special tools suitable for wool, and they are subject to certain requirements:
- Any comb for animals must have blunt teeth, otherwise it will be possible to damage the skin. To check its safety it is possible on itself, having spent prongs on a palm, if denticles have hooked a skin or there was an unpleasant sensation such tool does not approach.
- Choose a tool with teeth less than the pet's hair.
- It is recommended to purchase at least two combs - for the initial treatment (removal of the collars, unraveling the pinched areas) and final processing.
- Comb-comb, the teeth of which are very frequent (the distance between them is 0.5 mm), is intended for combing out parasites. However, if there is a thick coat, it can not be used for its intended purpose, but it is quite possible to use it when molting to remove old wool.
If the pet has a long, silky coat, it is better to give preference to a massage brush, for dogs with short hair, a brush with a bristle is suitable, resembling an attribute for cleaning clothes or shoes.
Another important thing - the "puffer", helps to cope with the usual thick wool. Their working surface is made of metal.
As with the combs, the punch teeth must be blunted. On sale it is possible to find the similar tool of the most different sizes, but experts do not recommend to get the biggest. They not only will not accelerate the process of combing out, but also not very convenient to operate. For an average dog, a puffer with sides of 6-7 cm will fit, for a pet of larger sizes - a little more. When choosing it is worth to assess the strength of the landing teeth, they do not have to hang around freely.
Koltunorezy - this tool allows you to reliably get rid of such troubles as collapsed knuckles. But they do not cut the knots, but unravel them. In fact, this is an excellent helper for owners of long-haired pets, since almost always during combing you have to deal with lumps of wool.
Coal cutters are made of stainless steel. They are equipped with easy-to-use handles. Like other instruments, this device is selected based on the size of the pet and the length of its fur.
Chesalki - got this name for its appearance. People have the name "rake". This is one of the most necessary ushodovyh devices. Here, when choosing, it is necessary to focus on the length of the teeth, the longer the fur, the longer the teeth should be. Strings perfectly comb the hair, and, in addition, clean the skin of the animal from dead cells and remove old wool during the moult.
During use, it is necessary to hold the "rake" at an angle to the dog so as not to damage the skin.
Rubber or silicone gloves, brushes are used to care for smooth-haired dogs, not burdened with a thick undercoat. They are convenient to get rid of dead hairs during seasonal molting. For the same purposes, you can use a small piece of suede fabric.
High technology touched and means for caring for animals, and the driver is a confirmation. The tool is made of stainless steel, and the plastic handle is equipped with a rubber sheath against sliding. According to the research, one can remove up to 90% of old wool at a time.
Furminator does not damage the skin and does not affect the new hair and is suitable for almost all breeds, except for those that have a minimum undercoat volume or do without it at all. The device is very simple to use, it is enough to move it without effort in the direction of hair growth.
Combing different types of wool
In nature, there are six types of dog hair, so it is important to know what type of pet belongs to, to look after it correctly:
- Wool is "ordinary". It differs in average length and density. Many breeds belong to its owners, for example, huskies , labradors , German shepherds, Spitz. Wool is double - long and stiff from the outside, soft and shorter inside (undercoat). Like other breeds, they moult these dogs twice a year and during this period it is necessary to comb the dogs as often as possible to help get rid of dead hair. The rest of the time, combing is done no more than 2-3 times a week.
- Non-stiff hard wool. Nature decreed in such a way that these breeds lost the property of changing wool. But nevertheless it is necessary for them to help to get rid of the old cover, the truth, combing out here will not help. Here we pull out the trimming . This procedure is necessary for terriers, schnauzers, coarse-wool terriers and some other representatives of rare breeds.
- The wool is "smooth". Despite the poor coat, the dogs of short-haired breeds can intensively shed, and removing their wool from carpets and furniture is very difficult. They are combed with special rubber brushes, but a puffer will not be useful in this case. Such care will suit dachshunds , Dobermans , Dolmatins , Rottweilers, Bulldogs, and others.
- Wool is "curly" non-stitching. It has poodles, some kinds of terriers. The main means of care, in this case - a haircut . The combing is carried out, of course, also, especially often during the moult period. In the course there is a puffeter or a brush with a wire surface.
- Wool is "long". The breeds that wear it are quite spectacular and always attract attention - they are Afghan hounds , briar , setters , long-haired collies and shelties, spaniels, etc. To look well-groomed, you need to comb it out daily with a comb with rare teeth. The advantage of such dogs is that their rich undercoat is suitable for yarn and knitting warm things, medical belts, than some pet owners enjoy and enjoy.
- Atypical wool. If you were lucky enough to become the owner of an exotic breed with a unique coat, for example, twisted like a bullet, then in this case you will hardly be able to figure out what to do with the dog's hair. The advice of a breeder or specialist in this matter will help.
Video about correct combing of dogs:
General recommendations for combing dogs
Needless to say, almost all canine breeds are subject to combing, except for a few exotic ones. This is not only bringing the dog into the proper form, but also a hygienic procedure that removes insects, including parasites, that penetrated into the wool, eliminating old hairs, dirt and dust. And, in addition, it is an excellent massage of the skin that improves subcutaneous blood circulation.
In order for the dog to tolerate the combing of the hair, he should be introduced as soon as possible to this matter. Especially many breeds require care of the coat from the early puppy's age. In order not to scare off the animal, it is necessary to use suitable tools, then the dog will feel a minimum of discomfort, and after the event it is not necessary to skimp on affection, kind words and, of course, refreshments.
Here are some recommendations on how to make the procedure most fruitful:
- You need to start the procedure with a comb with rare teeth (this does not apply to animals with short hair).
- In long-haired dogs or breeds with elongated hair, it is important to pay special attention to certain areas of the body: the ears (refers to the spaniels and setters), muzzles (schnauzers, lapdogs), hind legs, where the wool forms the so-called trousers, and the tail.
- After combing it is recommended to use a special brush, leading it in the direction of growth of the coat. You need to start from the head, lead a brush on the back, working the sides and ending on the paws.
- A puffer can be used most often for dogs with the usual type of coat, but for long-haired dogs, it is better not to use this tool.
If the combing out of the pet seems like an unpleasant undertaking and it is not at all desirable to carry out the procedure yourself, or there is no time, you can turn to a groomer for help. Armed with a special tool, he is able to put in order even the most neglected wool.
In addition, the specialist will be able to help if the dog climbed into the thorns, correct the consequences of unsuccessful haircuts and, most importantly, prepare the pet for an important event in a short time.