Modern veterinary medicine introduces more and more technological methods, allowing to identify pathologies and diseases in domestic animals. One such technique, which is highly accurate and informative, is ultrasound. For people, this procedure has become quite a common phenomenon, but for dogs it is done not so long ago. But both veterinarians and dog owners have already assessed all the merits of the event. After all, the establishment of a correct diagnosis is half the success in eliminating the disease.
Why and when is assigned
Ultrasound is prescribed in various cases, it can be used to examine any organs and systems: liver, kidney, bladder, pancreas, prostate tissue. Ultrasound can detect abnormal formations even at the very beginning of their development. This makes it possible to detect tumors of a benign nature before they become malignant.
Diagnostic examination is safe and quick, does not require a long interpretation of the result. An ultrasound is administered to a dog in the following cases:
- if the dog nurses offspring;
- when the pet is injured - ultrasound can detect the damage;
- if there is a suspicion of urolithiasis ;
- with oncological pathologies, to detect tumors;
- in the postpartum period, to rule out complications;
- if there are symptoms of any disease.
Ultrasound diagnosis is carried out in many veterinary clinics, and in some there is a service of departure of a specialist with equipment at home. In addition, such a technique does not require surgical interventions, does not violate the integrity of tissues - both inside and outside, painless. If a tumor is found during the examination, then it is possible to conduct a biopsy almost immediately.
How to prepare a pet for the procedure
Despite the fact that ultrasound does not require complex preparations, some nuances should still be considered:
- From the examined sites, the wool will be removed, immediately before ultrasound.
- To get accurate results of examination of the peritoneal and regional organs in the retroperitoneal space, it is better to lead a pet to a hungry one. The minimum period of fasting should be 6 hours, and even better - 5-6 hours more, as a small delicacy will lead to a reflex release of digestive enzymes, and then to the formation of gases in the intestine.
- Before ultrasound of the liver or peritoneal tissue, for 2-3 hours, it is necessary to limit the pet to drinking, since swallowing can cause the gallbladder to empty. And this significantly reduces the reliability of the result obtained.
- To reduce the gassing before the procedure, it is necessary to correct the dog's diet within a few days - to exclude from the menu products that can cause fermentation in the intestine.
- Before the test, you can give a pet a couple of days such a tool as Espumizan, Subsimplex or activated charcoal.
If the uterus or bladder is being examined, the pet should be brought to the procedure with a filled bladder. For this, it can not be released to the toilet 4-5 hours before ultrasound. If such a condition is difficult to perform, then it is possible to use agents with a diuretic effect or resort to filling the bladder with saline through the catheter.
If the colonic mass is accumulated in the large intestine, then the pet should be taken out for a long walk before the study. If the dog suffers from constipation , then before going to the veterinary clinic, you can make an enema and give a drink of Vaseline oil.
For maximum visualization, it is important that the dog takes the correct position. Typically, the pet is laid on its side or back. If the dog is frightened and does not want to take the required position, additional assistants may be needed. But it will be better after all if the owners themselves keep and calm the pet.
Ultrasound in pregnancy
In this difficult period for an animal, not only additional care and nutrition is important, but also diagnosis of the condition. Especially if the dog has health problems or there is a pedigree predilection for complicated labor.
The most effective way of examining the ongoing pregnancy in a dog is ultrasound. With the help of this technique, it is possible to assess the condition of the fetal bladder, embryos, fruits and their structural elements.
Diagnosis by means of ultrasound when bearing offspring to dogs can be carried out, starting from the 15-day period after ovulation. However, to get more accurate and detailed data, ultrasound should be done from the 24th day of pregnancy, when future puppies (as long as the embryos) have a palpitation. From this period it will be possible to additionally fix their motor activity, heart activity and other indicators.
Due to the research it will be possible to know in advance about the approximate number of offspring, the size of the puppies and their location, and also to determine the term of birth. After 1 month after fertilization, ultrasound gives a result, the accuracy of which, without small, is 100%. If any violations are detected during pregnancy, appropriate therapy or surgery is prescribed.
How is the procedure performed
Technologically, ultrasound is not a complicated manipulation. Moreover, the difficulties can be more of a psychological nature - the pet will feel uncomfortable in the conditions of the clinic. But if you do not want to strongly disturb the pet, as already noted, you can call the veterinarian home. But wherever the procedure is conducted, the algorithm of actions is the same:
- The dog is placed on a diaper (it is advisable to take a disposable one from the house, hermetically packed).
- If the surface of the surveyed area is abundant, long coat, then it is shaved. In the event that at home it is impossible to do this, the manipulation is performed in a clinic.
- The examination area is spread with gel means, which improves the conductivity of the sensor.
- The sensor applies to the skin, and the vet leads them over the surface, evaluating the data reflected on the monitor.
Since the procedure is absolutely painless and does not cause any particular discomfort to the animal, the owner of the dog must be collected and calm. Fussiness and anxiety of the host will lead to the fact that the dog will be strained, which can cause difficulty in diagnosing. Regardless of what is being researched - the liver, bladder or the duration of pregnancy, the duration of the procedure is a maximum of 15-20 minutes.
If the time of diagnosis is delayed, then it may be an inexperienced specialist. In addition, difficulties can arise due to outdated equipment. In this case it is necessary to resort to the services of another clinic, which has at its disposal high-quality modern equipment. With a serious approach, the veterinarian will explain what and how he sees, can show possible abnormalities on the monitor with accompanying explanations.
After the procedure, the gel remover is wiped off the surface of the skin. After some time, the specialist should give the result in the form of a picture of ultrasound, sound the diagnosis. If required, additional diagnostics and the delivery of tests will be assigned.
Ultrasound - despite all the safety, is quite a serious test for the dog. After all, animals react more sharply to any changes in the situation and contacts with strangers. Therefore, it is important not to stint on praise, but you can also give the pet a delicious, because he really deserved it!