Modern veterinary medicine is introducing more and more technological methods to detect pathologies and diseases in domestic animals. One of these techniques, which are highly accurate and informative, is ultrasound. For people, this procedure has become quite commonplace, but for dogs it is done not so long ago. But both veterinarians and dog owners have already appreciated all the advantages of the event. After all, establishing the correct diagnosis is half the success in eliminating the disease.
Why and when is appointed
Ultrasound is prescribed in various cases, with it you can examine any organs and systems: tissues of the liver, kidneys, bladder, pancreas, prostate. Ultrasound can detect abnormal formations even at the very beginning of their development. This makes it possible to detect tumors of a benign nature before they become malignant.
Diagnostic examination is safe and quick, does not require a long decryption of the result. An ultrasound dog is prescribed in the following cases:
- if the dog is carrying offspring;
- when the pet is injured - an ultrasound scan allows you to identify the damage;
- if there is a suspicion of the development of urolithiasis ;
- with oncological pathologies to detect tumors;
- in the postpartum period to rule out complications;
- if there are symptoms of any disease.
Ultrasound diagnostics are carried out in many veterinary clinics, and in some there is a service for a specialist to go home with equipment. In addition, such a technique does not require surgical intervention, does not violate the integrity of the tissues - both inside and outside, it is painless. If a tumor is detected during the examination, then there is the possibility of a biopsy almost immediately.
How to prepare your pet for the procedure
Despite the fact that ultrasound examination does not require complex preparations, some nuances should nevertheless be taken into account:
- From the studied areas, the wool will be removed immediately before the ultrasound.
- To get accurate results of the examination of the peritoneal organs and the area in the retroperitoneal space, it is better to bring the pet hungry to the study of the pet. The minimum fasting period should be 6 hours, and even better - 5-6 hours more, since a small treat will lead to reflex release of digestive enzymes, and then to the formation of gases in the intestines.
- Before an ultrasound of the tissues of the liver or peritoneum, for 2-3 hours, it is necessary to restrict the pet in drinking, since swallowing can cause the gall bladder to empty. And this significantly reduces the reliability of the result.
- In order to reduce gas formation before the procedure, it is worthwhile to correct the dog’s diet in a few days - exclude from the menu products that can cause fermentation in the intestine.
- Before the study, you can give your pet a couple of days such means as Espumisan, Subximplex or activated carbon.
If the uterus or bladder is examined, then the pet must be brought to the procedure with a full bladder. To do this, he should not be allowed to go to the toilet 4-5 hours before the ultrasound. If such a condition is difficult to fulfill, then you can use diuretic agents or resort to filling the bladder with saline through a catheter.
If feces accumulate in the colon, then before the study it is worth taking the pet for a long walk. If the dog suffers from constipation , then before visiting the veterinary clinic, you can make an enema and drink vaseline oil.
For maximum visualization, it is important that the dog is in the correct position. Usually, a pet is placed on its side or back. If the dog is scared and does not want to take the required position, then additional assistants may be required. But it will still be better if the owners themselves keep and calm the pet.
Ultrasound during pregnancy
In this difficult period for the animal, not only additional care and nutrition are important, but also the diagnosis of the condition. Moreover, if the dog has health problems or there is a breed tendency to complicated labor.
The most effective way to examine the ongoing pregnancy in a dog is an ultrasound scan. Using this technique, you can assess the condition of the fetal bladder, embryos, fruits and their structural elements.
Diagnosis by ultrasound when carrying offspring to dogs can be carried out starting from a 15-day period after ovulation. However, in order to get more accurate and detailed data, it is better to do an ultrasound from the 24th day of pregnancy, when future puppies (until the embryos) show a heartbeat. From this period, it will be possible to additionally fix their motor activity, heart activity and other indicators.
Thanks to the study, it will be possible to know in advance about the approximate number of offspring, the size of the puppies and their location, as well as determine the term of delivery. After 1 month after fertilization, an ultrasound scan gives a result whose accuracy, without a small amount, is 100%. If any abnormalities are detected during pregnancy, then appropriate therapy or surgery is prescribed.
How is the procedure
Technologically, ultrasound is not a complex manipulation. Moreover, the difficulties may be more psychological in nature - the pet will feel uncomfortable in the clinic. But if you don’t want to disturb the pet, as already noted, you can call the veterinarian home. But wherever the procedure is carried out, the algorithm of actions is the same:
- The dog is laid on a diaper (it is advisable to take a disposable, hermetically packed from the house).
- If there is a plentiful, long coat on the surface of the examined area, then it is shaved off. In the event that at home it is impossible to do this, the manipulation is performed in a clinic.
- The examination area is smeared with a gel agent that improves the conductivity of the sensor.
- The sensor is applied to the skin, and the veterinarian guides it over the surface, evaluating the data reflected on the monitor.
Since the procedure is absolutely painless and does not cause much discomfort to the animal, the owner of the dog should be collected and calm. The fussiness and anxiety of the owner will lead to the fact that the dog will be tense, which can cause difficulties in diagnosing. Regardless of what is being examined - the liver, bladder or gestational age, the duration of the procedure is a maximum of 15-20 minutes.
If the diagnostic time is delayed, then we can talk about the inexperience of a specialist. In addition, difficulties may arise due to outdated equipment. In this case, it is worth resorting to the services of another clinic, which has at its disposal high-quality modern equipment. With a serious approach, the veterinarian will explain what and how he sees, can show possible deviations on the monitor with accompanying explanations.
After the procedure, the gel is wiped off the surface of the skin. After some time, the specialist should give a result in the form of an ultrasound image, voice the diagnosis. If required, additional diagnostics and tests will be assigned.
Ultrasound - despite all the safety, is a pretty serious test for a dog. After all, animals are more sensitive to any changes in the situation and contacts with strangers. Therefore, it is important not to skimp on praise, and you can also give your pet a tasty treat, because he really deserved it!