A dog is not only the best and devoted friend who happily meets family members at the doorstep, but also a certain responsibility and some care efforts. Among other hygiene procedures, it is necessary to inspect and clean the ears of a pet. In this case there are a number of nuances that the owner needs to know. When, how and what should the dog's ears be cleaned in order not to harm, but save it from the accumulations of dirt, penetrated ticks, and a possible breeding ground for infection?
- Как понять, что пора чистить уши собаке 1. How to understand that it is time to clean the ears of a dog
- Специальные средства для чистки ушей 2. Special ear cleansers
- Чем чистить уши собаке в домашних условиях 3. How to clean the dog's ears at home
- Что использовать не рекомендуется 4. What is not recommended to use
- Рекомендации для безопасной чистки ушей собаке 5. Recommendations for safe cleaning the ears of the dog
How to understand that it is time to clean the ears of a dog
It should be remembered that timely hygienic procedure can prevent the development of inflammation of the auricle - otitis , as well as eliminate penetrated parasites. This is not only a preventive measure, but also a way to detect ear disease at an early stage and promptly seek veterinary care.
One of the main questions: "How often to clean the ears of a dog?". After all, excessive zeal can lead to the opposite result. In this case, you need to know that earwax and sebum play an important role in the body. They are a barrier against external factors, protecting the auditory passages from dust particles and mites contained in it, temperature differences, etc. Therefore, such small amounts in ears should be present in small amounts, otherwise the organ will be defenseless against pathogenic microorganisms.
It is necessary to clean the ears of the dog without the use of physical force, not to rub sensitive skin, achieving perfect cleanliness. Otherwise, microscopic cracks appear on the skin, which subsequently become inflamed and can become infected with various fungi or bacteria.
Before cleaning, you need to make sure that the procedure is really necessary. The “problematic” in this regard are the hanging ears of long-haired pets.
The standing auricles have good ventilation, so they remain clean for a longer time, since dirt does not stick to them and the sebaceous glands do not get clogged.
How often there is a need for this procedure depends on many factors. You can rarely brush your ears to a young and healthy animal. Dogs living in apartment conditions also do not need frequent cleaning.
Some dogs with standing open ears may not need to be cleaned at all, but in any case, they should be carefully examined at least once every seven days.
You can test: slightly moisten a cotton swab and rub your ear near the ear canal, but without penetration. Having found a small patina of gray or yellow color on a stick, there is no need to worry - your ears do not require a cleansing procedure. But if there were sulfur lumps on the wool, then it is time to clean the pet's ears.
Special ear cleansers
In the veterinary pharmacy sold a lot of different tools for this purpose. You can choose any based on your own preferences:
- Special wet wipes - are good because the substances that saturate them dissolve dirt deposits well, but they are also suitable for sensitive dog skin.
- Cotton swabs for cleaning the ears of animals - they differ from ordinary sticks in that they are impregnated with special solutions.
- Ear hygiene lotions - have high absorbent properties, not only collect contaminants, but also remove them from the ears with the help of massage, or while brushing off the pet.
- Cleaning powder - great for dogs with long ears. They eliminate excessive moisture, improve the ventilation of the auricle, protect from dirt accumulation and its debate. All this prevents the development of fungal diseases.
Special tools - a great option for cleaning the ears, but if you can not buy, you can use traditional recipes or drugs from your first aid kit.
How to clean the ears of a dog at home
Among the common methods of cleaning the ears most often used the following:
- Green tea . Brew inferior drink, cooled and filtered through cheesecloth. It is used to wipe the ear with a cotton swab. Tea can not be used as a lotion, pouring into the ears. Prior to its use, you can remove sulfur from the ear with a cotton swab, but you should not push it too deep.
- Cotton swabs . They are used both separately and before washing the ears. But their use requires a certain skill, as cotton wool can lead to the opposite effect - compaction in the ear of sulfur. For dwarf breeds, this method is often not suitable, since small dogs have narrow ear canals. In this case, it is possible to process only the auricles, without introducing it inside.
- Hydrogen peroxide . Such a tool will help rid the pet of the unpleasant smell from the ears. To do this, apply a 3% solution that is injected into the ear with a syringe or syringe without a needle. 3-5 ml of peroxide is poured into each auricle. After the pet shakes its head, it is necessary to wet the ears with a dry towel.
- Chlorhexidine . 0.5% solution is poured into each ear, and then the pet removes it, shaking its head.
- Sea salt A solution of sea salt - 1 teaspoon per cup of boiled water, is used for wetting a cotton pad or tampon and wiping the ear.
- Herbal infusions . To do this, the following herbs are suitable - chamomile, lavender, calendula, Althea root, yarrow.
Tea and herbal decoction is best suited for cleaning the ears in babies, as they do not disturb the PH balance and do not dry the sensitive puppy skin.
What is not recommended to use
In order not to harm the animal, you can not use the following means:
- food alcohol;
- boric alcohol;
- vinegar or vinegar essence;
- shampoos or other detergents;
Substances that are not suitable for this procedure can cause scaling, skin irritation, and even burns.
The dog's ears are an extremely sensitive organ that requires careful handling. You can not push on the ears too hard, to enter deep into until the wand does not rest in an obstacle. In this case, there is a risk of damage to the eardrum.
Recommendations for safe cleaning ears dog
Approach to the procedure should be prepared - having a cotton swab, gauze, cotton wool, warm boiled water on hand.
The psychological attitude of the pet is very important, so do not tear the dog from the games to clean the ears. The moment when the animal is calm and relaxed. It is necessary to sit down to the pet, to caress, massage the ears, in such a situation the dog will feel comfortable. At this point, you can not raise the voice on the dog, use brute force.
You can use another technique, relying on the pleasant associations of the animal associated with walks. When wearing a collar and leash, the pet knows that this is a mandatory procedure, so it is not nervous. Such manipulation has a disciplining effect and will allow cleaning without special problems. In most cases, dogs quickly get used to cleansing their ears.
Encouragement is another effective method that always works during training, even when it comes to educating stubborn and wayward quadrupeds. It can also be used when cleaning the ears - the pet will tolerate everything patiently, if it is sure to receive at the end of the treat.
It is not recommended to press on the dog, trying to fix it in one position. Such actions lead to the fact that the animal is frightened or shows aggression. You can hold the pet with your hands on your head, or lightly sipping the collar.
If we are talking about cleaning the ears at home, then you should not trust this thing to unfamiliar pet people. A dog that feels mistrust of a person will not allow him to carry out such a manipulation.
After the procedure, in addition to the incentive delicacy, it is necessary to praise the dog, to pet, so that the pet understands that its behavior is a reason for praise.
If there is no desire or ability to clean the ears yourself, then you can seek the help of professionals by visiting a veterinary clinic. You can also get advice on the proper conduct of cleaning.
If during manipulations inflammation, bad-smelling discharge, black spots on the surface were found, then most likely, it is a question of infection or infection with parasites. In this case, you must immediately visit the clinic, or call a veterinarian at home.