A dog is not only the best and loyal friend who happily meets family members at the doorstep, but also a certain responsibility and some cares for caring. Among other hygiene procedures, it is necessary to examine and clean the ear cavities of the pet. In this case there are a number of nuances that must be known to the owner. When, how and what do you need to clean the ears of a dog, so as not to harm, but to save it from clusters of dirt, penetrating mites, and a possible hotbed of infection?
- Как понять, что пора чистить уши собаке 1. How to understand that it is time to clean the ears of a dog
- Специальные средства для чистки ушей 2. Special means for cleaning the ears
- Чем чистить уши собаке в домашних условиях 3. Than to clean ears to a dog in house conditions
- Что использовать не рекомендуется 4. What to use is not recommended
- Рекомендации для безопасной чистки ушей собаке 5. Recommendations for safe cleaning of the ears of a dog
How to understand that it is time to clean the ears of a dog
It should be remembered that a timely hygienic procedure can prevent the development of inflammation of the auricle - otitis , and also eliminate penetrating parasites. This is not only a preventive measure, but also a way to detect ear disease at an early stage and promptly seek veterinary care.
One of the main questions: "How often to clean the ears of a dog?". After all, too much zeal can lead to the opposite result. In this case, you need to know that earwax and skin fat play an important role in the body. They are a barrier against external factors, protecting the auditory passages from dust particles and the mites contained in it, temperature fluctuations, etc. Therefore, in small quantities, such formations in the ears should be present, otherwise the organ will be defenseless against pathogenic microorganisms.
To clean the ears of a dog you need without the use of physical strength, do not rub the sensitive skin, achieving perfect purity. Otherwise, the skin appears microscopic cracks, which subsequently become inflamed and can be infected with various fungi or bacteria.
Before cleaning, you need to make sure that the procedure is really necessary. "Problem" in this regard are the hanging ears of long-haired pets.
Standing auricles have good ventilation, so they stay in a clean form for a longer time, as dirt does not adhere to them and the sebaceous glands do not clog.
How often there is a need for this procedure depends on many factors. A young and healthy animal can rarely clean its ears. In frequent cleaning also do not need dogs living in an apartment.
Some dogs with standing open ears may not need cleaning at all, but in any case, they should be carefully examined, at least once every seven days.
You can conduct a test: lightly moisten the cotton swab and wipe the ear near the ear canal, but without penetrating inside. Having found out on a stick a small raid of gray or yellow color, it is not necessary to worry - ears do not demand cleaning procedure. But if there were sulfur balls on cotton wool, then it's time to clean the ears of the pet.
Special means for cleaning the ears
Veterinary pharmacy sells a lot of different drugs intended for this purpose. You can choose any, based on your own preferences:
- Special wet wipes are good because impregnating substances dissolve the dirt well, but they are suitable for sensitive skin of a dog.
- Cotton sticks for cleaning the ears of animals - they differ from ordinary sticks in that they are impregnated with special solutions.
- Lotions for ear hygiene - have high absorbing properties, not only collect dirt, but also remove them from the ears with the help of massage, or during pet shaking.
- Cleaning powder - great for dogs with long ears. They eliminate excessive moisture, improve the ventilation of the auricle, protect against the accumulation of dirt and its scaling. All this prevents the development of fungal diseases.
Special means are an excellent option for cleaning the ears, but if you can not buy, you can use folk recipes or medications from your medicine chest.
Than to clean ears to a dog in house conditions
Among the common methods of cleaning the ears most often apply the following:
- Green tea . A non-strong drink is brewed, cooled and filtered through gauze. It is used for rubbing the auricle with a cotton swab. Tea can not be used as a lotion, pouring into your ears. Before using it, you can remove sulfur from the ear with a cotton swab, but do not push it too deeply.
- Cotton buds . They are used both separately and before washing the ears. But their use requires a certain skill, since cotton can lead to the opposite effect - condensation in the ear of sulfur. For dwarf rocks, this method is often not suitable, because small dogs have narrow ear canals. In this case, it is possible to treat only the ears without introducing it inside.
- Hydrogen peroxide . Such a tool will help to save the pet from the unpleasant odor from the ears. To do this, apply a 3% solution, which is injected into the ear using a syringe or syringe without a needle. 3-5 ml peroxide is poured into each of the auricles. After the pet shakes his head, it is necessary to get wet with a dry towel.
- Chlorhexidine . A 0.5% solution is poured into each ear, and then the pet itself removes it, shaking its head.
- Sea salt . Mortar of sea salt - 1 teaspoon per cup of boiled water, used for wetting a cotton pad or swab and rubbing the auricle.
- Herbal infusions . For this, the following medicinal herbs are suitable: chamomile, lavender, calendula, althea root, yarrow.
To clean the ears of babies is best suited tea and herbal decoction, because they do not violate pH balance and do not dry sensitive puppy skin.
What to use is not recommended
In order not to harm the animal, you can not use the following means:
- food alcohol;
- boric alcohol;
- vinegar or vinegar essence;
- shampoos or other detergents;
Substances that are not suitable for this procedure can cause peeling, skin irritation, and even burns.
The dog's ears are an extremely sensitive organ that requires careful handling. Do not put too much pressure on your ears, enter into the depths until the rod does not bite into the obstacle. In this case, the risk of damage to the tympanic membrane is high.
Recommendations for safe cleaning of the ears of a dog
Approach to the procedure should be prepared - having at hand cotton swabs, gauze, cotton wool, warm boiled water.
The psychological attitude of the pet is very important, so do not tear the dog from the games to brush your ears. The right moment when the animal is calm and relaxed. It is necessary to sit down to the pet, caress, massage the ears, in such a situation the dog will feel comfortable. At this point, you can not raise the voice on the dog, use brute force.
You can use another method, relying on pleasant animal associations associated with walks. When dressing the collar and leash, the pet knows that this is an obligatory procedure, so do not be nervous. Such manipulation has a disciplining effect and will allow cleaning without any problems. In most cases, dogs quickly become accustomed to cleaning their ears.
Encouragement is another effective method that always works during training, even if it involves the education of stubborn and wayward quadrupeds. It can also be used for cleaning the ear shells - the pet will patiently endure it if he is sure of receiving the delicacies after the end.
It is not recommended to put pressure on the dog, trying to fix it in one position. Such actions lead to the fact that the animal is frightened or is showing aggression. You can hold the pet by wrapping your arms around your head, or gently pulling on the collar.
If it is a question of cleaning the ears at home, then do not trust this thing to an unfamiliar pet people. A dog that feels distrust of a person will not allow him to carry out such manipulation.
After the procedure, in addition to an encouraging treat, one should praise the dog, pat, so that the pet understands that his behavior is an occasion for praise.
If there is no desire or the opportunity to clean the ears yourself, then you can ask for help from professionals by visiting a veterinary clinic. There you can get advice on the proper conduct of cleaning.
If manipulations revealed inflammation, bad smelling discharge, black spots on the surface, then most likely, it is an infection or infection with parasites. In this case, you must immediately visit the clinic, or call a vet at the house.