The breed has several names, ka de bou is called a bull dog, a Major mastiff, a Malordian bulldog, and the Perro Dogo of Mallorquin. Dogs have a serious, harsh appearance. But there are fans of this breed who are sure that it is better, kinder, stronger and more loyal than the pet is not! For some, the cat de bo is a dog with a fierce look, for others - a gentle, gentle friend. Who are these non-ordinary animals actually?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы ка де бо 2. Description of the rock ka de bou
- Характер 3. Character
- Воспитание и обучение ка де бо 4. Upbringing and teaching ka de bou
- Уход и особенности здоровья 5. Care and health features
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Кормление 7. Feeding
- Содержание собаки 8. The contents of the dog
- Фото ка де бо 9. Photo of the Ca de bou
- Видео о ка де бо 10. Video about the Ca de bou
- Приобретение питомца 11. Acquisition of pet
Origin of the breed
The earliest mention of bulldogs specialists date back to the 17th century. At that time, these powerful dogs were depicted on the walls of the arena for battles with bulls in Mallorca. Here, most of the dogs of this breed lived, and in translation "ka de bou" means "bull dogs". The dogs went out into the arena with the bullfighters and defended them from the furious bull.
Historians do not know for sure how the ancestors of the Moorish mastiffs - English bulldogs - got to Malta, but it was here that breeders started improving the breed, crossing them with local sheep dogs. Such kinship improved the quality of dogs, from them excellent guards, shepherds, hunters, these travelers were taken with them.
Unfortunately, even the versatility did not help the bulls to avoid an almost complete disappearance. However, in the 20 century. they were interested in felinologists, and the breed was gradually restored. Various mastiff-like dogs took part in the selection, which were preserved in peasant farms in Spain, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Malorian Shepherds.
The breed was officially recognized in 1965, during registration it was recorded as Ka de Bo or Perrault Dogo Majorcine.
Description of the breed ka de bou
Ca de bou externally resemble mastiffs, and bulldogs, medium-sized dogs with a massive skeleton and a large physique, a slightly stretched body. Dogs behave calmly, fairly friendly, without tension or anger. Although at home the dog is a brave guard and, without thinking, rushes to protect family members. In pets, sexual dimorphism is strongly pronounced - in males a larger, bulky head.
The standard clearly limits the parameters of the breed: the growth of males varies from 55 to 58 cm, weight - about 35-38 cm, bitches - within 52-55 cm, at a weight of 30-34 cm. The dogs are described as follows:
- The head is large enough and square, with a sloping occiput and a broad, flat forehead. The dividing furrow is deep, well marked.
- Muzzle broad, slightly narrowing to the nose, with a sharp stop. In some individuals, the skin forms wrinkles, others do not, but there is no indication in the standard for this nuance.
- Upper lips well-toned, fleshy, lower ones with closed mouth form a fold. Loose, sloppy lips are a vice.
- Jaws are powerful, with strong, large teeth, possessing a strong enough, "dead" grip, bite with a small snack that forms a fence no more than 1 cm.
- The nose is large, pigmented in black.
- Eyes with a deep, wide fit, not too large, oval, slightly slanting, with dense eyelids, painted in black. Iris is brown, preferably darker tones.
- The ears are small in size, with a rigid cartilage, resembling a rose in shape. When the dog is alert, they rise and turn forward.
- Torso format is rectangular, somewhat stretched. At the ka de bou of a moderate length of the neck, which turns into a withers with a smooth line. Folds are allowed.
- The back is broad, with a bulge, the sternum is bulky, of decent width and depth. At the rear, it passes into well-muscled thighs.
- The limbs are thick, firm, even, with well expressed muscular relief. The forelegs are widely spaced, elbows do not press against the sternum. Shoulders have a slight inclination forward, which makes the dog more stable.
- In the hind limbs, the musculature is more voluminous, the hips are of medium length, the shins are short.
- Brushes are oval in shape, fingers and claws strong, strong. On the pads dense skin, pigmented in the tone of the coat or black.
- Even the tail of the mastiffs is powerful, thickened in the region of the base, but gradually tapering towards the end. When the dog is calm, the tail hangs between the hind legs, during work it slightly bends and rises, but not above the spinal column line.
Coat and possible colors
The wool of the pedigree representatives is short, tightly adhering to the skin, stiff and coarse. Preferably, individuals have the following colors:
- brindle - the highest rated black dogs, but there are ka de bou and with marbled wool;
- monotonously black;
- fawn or red (deer color) - preferably saturated, deep tones.
The standard allows the presence of white spots, but they can cover no more than 30% of the trunk. The restriction also applies to their location - on the forelimbs, sternum and muzzle. Also allowed is a dark mask, which is often found in mastiffs.
Independence - this quality was transferred to the ka deo from its combat ancestors. These dogs have a stable psyche, they behave calmly and with restraint in any situation, do not need constant attention of the owner.
It is enough for them to be close to the owner, in this case the dog can look at what his beloved person does or doze off. But this imposing nature is deceptive - for any, even the most sudden danger, the dog will take a fighting stand for seconds.
Major mastiffs have an innate territoriality and distrust of strangers, which makes them excellent guards and guards. Dogs are dominant, therefore they necessarily need early socialization, training. The master must have a firm hand and become a real leader for the dog, otherwise the pet will not obey.
Despite the harsh appearance, the Ca de bos are an excellent option for families with children. Dogs do not just love children, they take on the role of nannies and in every way they take care of them - both at home and on the street. From past times, where dogs every day had to fight for life, they still have incredible strength and sensitivity.
Experts do not recommend starting a dog of this breed to beginners or people who have not previously encountered similar dogs. Without education and training, or with the wrong approach, a dog can become stubborn, try to dominate people, which can not be allowed in any case.
Upbringing and teaching ka de bou
Strong and powerful mastiff, whose appearance is devoid of grace, in fact a very intelligent animal, not devoid of high intelligence. He does not create problems during classes, doing everything the master tells him. But only in the event that the owner has engaged in the education of the pet from the first days of the appearance of the puppy in the house.
It is worth remembering, like all pickling dogs, the ka de bou were taken out in order to react to any aggression directed at them. Therefore, during training, all hard methods should be eliminated. They will not give a positive result, but they will only set the dog against such work and the owner himself.
Calm tone, positive attitude, consistency, mandatory encouragement - that's what makes joint activities a pleasant and fruitful pastime. You should start with the basic commands - "Place", "To me", etc. Usually the entire complex of the pet is mastered rather quickly, and gradually it will be possible to include more complex exercises.
Even as a small puppy, the dog must learn - the owner is the leader, the leader, he has already taken a dominant position and encroaches on him more. If this aspect has been missed, and the grown dog allows itself liberties, it is necessary to turn to the experienced trainer. With a competent approach, the pet will become an excellent guard, protector, friend.
Care and health features
Owners should know that the puppies of this breed are contraindicated in any high jump, walking on the steps, because the risks of deformation of large joints are high - non-hardened tissues are damaged under high pressure.
The coat is near a short deeper, it is desirable to treat it once a day with a special glove or brush, removing dirt and dead hairs. And during the lines it is recommended to comb the pet with a brush of rubber or silicone. The grown claws are cut with sharp scissors.
Particular attention should be paid to the pet's teeth. They should be regularly cleaned of plaque, you can use a 3% peroxide solution. In the care of the oral cavity will help special hygiene devices - goodies, toys, sticks, etc.
Ears should be inspected 2-3 times a week for inflammations and parasites. But it is enough to clean only once every 3-4 weeks. To do this, it is necessary to soak the wadded disk with camphor alcohol and gently wipe the inside of the auricle.
Eyes wipe every day, using boiled water, wash them only if necessary. Standard procedures are also necessary:
- vaccination appropriate to age;
- once a quarter of anthelmintic drugs;
- regular treatment of external parasites, especially relevant in the spring and summer.
Major Bulldogs need daily intensive workloads: they need jogging, playing in the open air, and at least 2.5-3 hours a day. The life expectancy of the ka deo on average is 12 years, but this is not the limit. In many ways, it depends on the care and quality of life.
The immune system of these dogs was developed for a long time, because once the offspring was selected in a natural way - the weak and the sick perished. In addition, and treatment of pickling dogs, no one was engaged - from wounds they recovered themselves.
However, the selection work has made its own adjustments, on the one hand, improving the character of the cat de bom, on the other hand, it has been awarded with genetic ailments. Representatives of the breed are prone to develop the following diseases:
- myositis - inflammation of the tissues of the skeleton;
- liver damage - from dystrophic changes to cirrhosis;
- dysplasia of the hip joints.
In dogs with low immunity demodicosis can develop, in older animals - oncological diseases.
Adult Bulldog is fed twice a day - in the morning and evening hours. The diet should be full, well balanced. Owners have a choice - to prepare a pet for food from natural products or to purchase production feeds. In the first case, the ideal combination of components is as follows:
- 50-60% - animal proteins;
- 20-25% - cereals;
- 20-25% - vegetables.
The dog must be given raw meat, previously scalded with boiling water. It can be beef, rabbit, chicken, turkey. By-products can also be given, but only in a cooked form.
Once a week the dog is given fish - lean, marine, boiled and bones-free. For normal digestion, dogs should be included in the diet of sour-milk products, but it is better to refuse milk. Kashi (rice, oats, buckwheat, barley) are included in the daily diet. Like vegetables - carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower.
With natural feeding, the dog is given vitamin supplementation - bone meal, crushed egg shell or complexes, which can be purchased at a veterinary pharmacy.
As for dry rations, here you should choose only high-quality products - premium, super-premium or holistic class. The first ingredient in the composition should be meat, and not grain or meat meal. The food should be designed for dogs of large size, leading an active lifestyle.
Ca de bou are suitable for both street and apartment maintenance. But it is worth considering that the dog is not ready for severe frosts. Ideal conditions are when a dog lives in the courtyard during the summer, and moves to the house in winter. But in the apartment he can be kept, since he does not have saliva, abundant molting.
Photo by ka de bou
Video about ka de bou
Acquisition of pet
Breeders warn - pets of this breed are not suitable for everyone. First of all, this is a great responsibility, long daily walks, training and the need for a strong hand. The owner should not just play with the puppy, be touched and rubbed puddles, and from the first days of his education, confirming his superiority.
It is not recommended to buy a puppy from random sellers or the bird market. In this case, there is no question of any blood purity and stable psyche. You should apply to a specialized nursery, in which competent breeding of dogs of this breed is conducted, with the rejection of animals with vices, including genetic ones.
The best nurseries are:
- "Alferor" Moscow, http://alferor.ru/contacts;
- «Ganadores de Dios» Kiev, https://cadebou-ua.jimdo.com/.
If the owner wishes to participate in the future with the pet in various exhibition events, then it is necessary to pay attention to promising puppies of the show class, their price varies from 40,000 to 60,000 rubles. Progeny with good characteristics, allowed before breeding costs 20000-35000 rubles.
Slightly cheaper will cost a kid with minor flaws, which does not participate in knitting and show programs, but he has all the virtues to become an excellent four-legged friend.
Ca de bos is a Spanish serious dog, possessing excellent physical data and working qualities. So that he can show them and show himself only in a positive light, the owner will also need efforts.