The Spanish mastiff - a giant dog with a harsh expression of muzzle - can scare anyone with just one look. But, despite the fact that the breed is one of the largest in the world, these dogs will not be called ferocious tongue. They are intelligent, faithful, caring, but certainly not evil. What kind of animal is this, whose appearance and character do not correspond to each other?
- История происхождения породы 1. History of the origin of the breed
- Описание породы испанский мастиф 2. Description of the breed Spanish mastiff
- Характер испанских мастифов 3. The nature of Spanish mastiffs
- Как содержать и ухаживать за большим питомцем 4. How to maintain and care for a large pet
- Чем кормить собаку 5. Than to feed a dog
- Фото испанского мастифа 6. Photo of the Spanish mastiff
- Видео об испанском мастифе 7. Video about the Spanish mastiff
- Сколько стоит щенок испанского мастифа 8. How much does a puppy of a Spanish mastiff cost?
History of the origin of the breed
Scientists distinguish several versions of the emergence of these giant dogs, but more reliable are two of them. One, the progenitors of the Spanish mastiffs brought merchants from Phenicia to the European territory by sea. On the second, they got here by land, thanks to the little friendly Asian nomads. But the hypothesis that the Mastiffs were brought by Roman soldiers was not confirmed, since to their landing the local population already had huge pets who helped the Aborigines defend their lands.
Given the similarity of Turkish, Caucasian, Balkan, Tibetan sheep-dogs and mastiffs, it is difficult to accurately determine who are the ancestors of Spanish mastiffs, but it is not surprising that the above breeds are likely to have the same roots.
Precisely, it can be said with certainty that a person needed a guard and a protector of livestock from predators - an even larger, fast, hardy animal capable of finding out the threat from afar and taking action. That's when the idea of breeding guard dogs appeared.
It was possible to find out that the Spanish mastiffs existed as a separate breed in the 15th century. At that time they grazed cattle in the Pyrenees. For one flock, there were quite a few dogs that not only protected cows and sheep, but also did not allow them to disperse.
Despite the ancient origin, the representatives of this breed spoke only at the beginning of the last century. The breed standard was defined after the Second World War ended. After international recognition, the popularity of the breed has increased, but still has not reached the level of the most common dogs - German shepherds and rottweilers.
On the territory of Russia, Spanish mastiffs appeared in the mid-90's, they were brought from the cattery of the Czech Republic. And after a while in the nursery, specializing in rare breeds, the first puppies of the Spanish mastiff were born.
Today there are few representatives of this breed in the Russian territory and CIS countries, but we are not talking about their complete disappearance. Two-three dogs from these countries necessarily take part in international exhibitions.
Naturally, today no one uses Spanish mastiffs for their original purpose - pasturing the herd. But these dogs have proven themselves in a new role - a companion and friend. In addition, their protective qualities allow you to purchase pets for the protection of the family and property. And the Spanish mastiff frankly points out the status of its owner, since not everyone can afford such a four-legged friend.
Beautiful breed: English mastiff .
Description of breed Spanish Mastiff
The last breed standard was approved by the Spanish Kennel Club in 1994. According to him, it is confirmed that Spain is the birthplace of the breed, and it is also indicated that dogs can be used to protect the herd, people and property. Giant dogs belong to a group of Molossians.
Representatives of the breed are powerful, large dogs, with proportional addition. The growth of males is above 77 cm, the bitches are 72 cm. The first thing that comes to mind when they are seen is that they are the most grandiose and majestic dogs in the world, and their ability to hold on speaks of a developed sense of dignity.
- The head of the mastiff from Spain distinguishes him from the dogs of other, close in origin, breeds. It is large, but at the same time harmonious with respect to the body. The area of transition from the frontal bone to the muzzle is practically not expressed, the muzzle is expressive, powerful, the cranium is wide. Serious expression of dogs give wrinkles located on both sides of the eyes.
- The skin of animals is thick, without a tight fit, it is voluminous around the neck, chest and lower line, and makes the dogs look like bulls for bullfighting.
- The coat has an average length, thick, close to the trunk, slightly wavy. Dogs have an excellent protection against cold - a thick, dense undercoat.
- The body of the mastiffs is rectangular, with a powerful deep chest, a broad and powerful loin, and the same muscular croup. The abdomen is not tightened, the lines of the bottom and the top are almost parallel. The whole body of the dog speaks of its strength and power.
- Paws in dogs resemble feline, which is considered a positive quality and speaks of a good ligament apparatus of the animal. The paw has strong, bent claws and is collected in a lump. The standard allows for the presence of 1-2 profit (fifth) fingers.
Colors of Spanish mastiffs
If we talk about colors, then the representatives of the breed of any color fit into the standard. Most often there are yellow (of any tone, from pale yellow to red), black and tiger Spanish mastiffs.
The growth of dogs occurs late, in males in the period from 3 to 4 years, in bitches one year earlier. Pets of this breed live 10-11 years.
The nature of Spanish mastiffs
For several centuries the activity of thoroughbred representatives cultivated certain qualities in them, and many of them were useful to dogs for new duties. For example, the habit of grazing livestock, protecting weaker animals from predators, transformed into an excellent attitude towards children. Mastiffs perceive children as a herd, who needs safety and comfortable conditions. And the dog gladly provides them with his little wards.
The dog in any conditions will remain an excellent nurse, because once, these dogs, even without food and water, guarded the animals, not allowing themselves to lift at least one sheep. This indicates the professionalism and dedication of pets.
Only having a balanced mind and developed intelligence, dogs could survive in the mountains, leading to grazing the cattle whole and unharmed. Today, this property allows the animal to quickly socialize, behave adequately under any conditions. Naturally, the upbringing and training of the pet plays an important role here, but they are easily amenable to training. Because of the lack of hunting instincts, mastiffs can be kept with others, even small pets.
Having an independent, and even proud, appearance, in fact this powerful giant needs love and affectionate treatment. With a weight of 100 kilograms, the dog is able to give out love and adoration to all 200. But, naturally, the attitude must necessarily be mutual. Pets of this breed are endlessly devoted to the owner, and to all members of the family, and he can prove it, even giving his life.
How to maintain and care for a large pet
Such colorful, large-sized dogs are not very suitable for apartment maintenance. Therefore, it is better to buy them for living in the private sector, in a house with a spacious courtyard. They live well in the enclosure, but arranging it, it is necessary to take into account the size of the inhabitant, many times exceeding the average dog.
In the fresh air the dog feels better, and a thick coat with a dense undercoat does not allow the animal to freeze even in severe frosts. But in hot weather dogs tend to be tight, so it is necessary to provide the pet with a shadow. This should be thought of already in the construction of the enclosure.
Spanish mastiffs once could move around for days, without sleep and rest. Of course, today, dogs do not need such self-sacrifice, but they need long walks and regular training. This is required by their powerful, muscular constitution. And, in addition, they are able to quickly gain excessive weight, which for such large animals threatens with diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
If we talk about hygiene procedures, then they are standard:
- the pet is recommended to constantly comb out to get rid of dead hair (it is better to use a brush with metal teeth);
- eyes and ears should be inspected regularly, with impurities wipe with a cotton disc soaked with plain water or an antiseptic (for details about cleaning the ears );
- Claws should be cut regularly - at least 1 time per month, because, growing, they can lead to deformation of the pastern.
How to feed a dog
A balanced diet for such giants is the basis of their health, because they are prone to heart and joint diseases, can have problems with growth.
But the dogs themselves are not fit and can eat everything. Many people think that the Spanish mastiffs have an enormous appetite, and they should eat more and more often other dogs. Of course, the pet eats a lot, but the regime is used standard - in the morning and in the evening.
The amount of food varies, depending on the time of year. So, if in the winter the dog ate 1 kilogram of feed per day, then in the summer time the rate is reduced by 2 times.
Even when feeding with dry food , natural food can be included in the diet of the pet, for example, fresh meat - veal, lamb, rabbit meat. But the pork digestive tract of the animal can not normally digest, so it should not be given.
If the owner is determined to feed the dog with natural products, then most of the diet should be taken by meat, smaller - cereals, vegetables, sour milk. And be sure to take care of special mineral supplements, strengthening and supporting bone and joint tissues.
Photo of the Spanish mastiff
Video about the Spanish Mastiff
How much does a puppy of Spanish mastiff cost?
These big handsome men are not an expensive pleasure. The price of the Spanish mastiff varies, depending on the puppy's class:
- representatives of the pet class (healthy dogs for the soul, not suitable for exhibitions and breeding) - 35000-45000 rubles;
- Brid-class (puppies that are suitable for breeding, but without an exhibition career) - 50000-70000 rubles;
- show-class (the best representatives of the breed who are able to become the founders of the new genus, the future champions) - 80000-150000.
You can find a lot of ads where Spanish mastiffs are sold much cheaper, for 15000-25000 thousand, however, there is a risk to buy a dog with physical, and even worse - mental abnormalities, that when growing can make a pet dangerous.
It is worth noting that no self-respecting breeder will sell the puppy before a month and a half or two months. This is the time it takes for the kid to get the necessary knowledge from his mother and learn how to communicate with his own kind. Without this, the pet can grow up nervous, with an unstable psyche.
Spanish mastiffs are fine, faithful dogs. They are an excellent option for people who love big breeds, and most importantly, who can handle them.
Catteries of the Spanish Mastiff
- Moscow http://spanishgrand.ru
- Saint-Petersburg http://www.giantpets.ru