Elegant, refined, aristocratic - that's what you can say, looking at a representative of the Greyhound breed. Indeed, these dogs from the UK are capable of hitting everyone, but not only with their appearance. They are excellent runners, and are so good that they deserve to be listed in the Guinness Book of Records. The fixed maximum greyhound speed is impressive - 67.32 km / h. Moreover, the record of Cyndi's Miami dog, which jumped in height by 1 m 73 cm, still remains unattainable for other four-legged pets.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание представителей породы 2. Description of breed representatives
- Каков характер у собак 3. What is the nature of dogs
- Мифы о грейхаундах 4. Myths about greyhounds
- Как содержать и ухаживать за питомцем 5. How to maintain and care for the pet
- Кормление грейхаунда 6. Feeding the Greyhound
- Видео о грейхаунде 7. Greyhound video
- Стоимость щенков грейхаунда 8. The cost of puppies greyhounda
Origin of the breed
The breed has such an ancient history that it has not yet been established exactly where it came from. Among the most popular versions, but scientifically not confirmed, one can note the ancient Egyptian occurrence of dogs. This theory is based on frescoes depicting dogs similar in appearance to greyhounds. By the way, the age of the frescoes is more than 4000 years. Although there is an external similarity of greyhounds with saluki and dolphins, genetic studies have attributed them to shepherds.
Genetics tend to believe that the ancestors of these dogs belong to European breeds. Moreover, in the poem of the reign of Octavian Augustus there is a description of the Celtic tribes, resembling greyhounds. In the harsh period of the Middle Ages, greyhounds have practically disappeared from the face of the earth. But then the clergy took up the rescue of the breed.
In the 10th century, King Hivel II issued a law, according to which the borzois killed were subjected to the death penalty. In the early 11th century, the Celtic and Gallic tribes moved to the coast of England, taking with them their pets.
At the same time, King Knud the Great of Denmark legally forbade common people to hunt in the forests. This right had only to know how to maintain its own pack of greyhounds. Naturally, dogs began to cost much more, and commoners paid homage for the murder of the dog.
And William the Conqueror went even further, declaring the forest and everything in it to be a royal property. Hunting, timber extraction was outlawed. Of course, people did not stop hunting, but for common people it was easier to do with dogs of inconspicuous colors - gray, black, pale yellow. But the nobility on the contrary, valued greyhoundy with bright, noticeable hair - white, in spots, it was easier to keep in sight. Then a proverb appeared, according to which, a gentleman can be recognized by the fact that he has a horse and a greyhound.
In the 15th century, Queen Elizabeth canceled this decree. The ruler was known as an ardent fan of greyhounds, she is also involved in the creation of the rules of dog races.
At the end of the 18th century, greyhounds are the most popular hunting and sports dogs. This breed was the first at the peak of fashion. At the same time, the first available coursing club was opened - field trials using bait. Prior to this, these clubs were exclusively closed.
Description of breed representatives
If we talk about the main qualities of greyhounds, it's speed and endurance. Dogs are very tall, they are higher than other species of greyhounds.
- The maximum growth of males at the withers is 77 cm, the body weight is 16-25 kg. Bitches slightly lower, their height from 68.5 to 71 cm.
- The head is long in dogs, with a flat skull and powerful jaws.
- The constitution is classical for this type of breed. Greyhounds have developed musculature, a deep pile of cells with developed shoulders. Dogs have a wide back with a strong lumbar belt.
- The strongest part of these dogs is muscular legs . The animal has a remarkable jogging force, which ensures high speeds of movement.
Greyhounds can be found in the following colors:
- deer (yellowish);
Also, any of the above colors, located on a white background, are allowed.
What is the nature of dogs
Aristocratism in these dogs in the blood, they are kept and calm. Their temperament does not allow barking for no reason. The owners describe the animals only on the positive side and are called very complaisant animals. But is it really so?
Greyhounds are important respect for the family members, and they reciprocate. But children can dislike, mostly because of excessive attention and obsession. These dogs are not suitable as toys for babies. No, the greyhound will not show aggression, but will avoid meeting with the younger members of the family. The only option for an ideal relationship is a joint growing up, when the puppy will reciprocate the growing up baby.
Like true aristocrats, dogs are able to catch intonations in a person's voice, so they learn about the mood of the master. If the owner is upset, the pet will not impose his presence.
A disadvantage can be called very strong hunting instincts greyhounds. Any small animal moving along the street can become the object of the dog's hunting. In certain cases, they may even "hunt" for transport. To some it may seem like a sign of the stupidity of a dog, however, this has nothing to do with intellect, but a sign of a strong craving for hunting.
But greyhounds are absolutely not whims and do not require constant attention to their person. Left alone, the greyhound will not grow up with grief or destroy master's things. By the way, we advise you to read why the dog howls . For the pet, it is quite natural to wait quietly for the hosts.
Like many breeds intended for hunting, greyhounds are devoid of aggression. Given that they live with people all their lives, they do not have any malice towards them. But if you need a dog to guard, the greyhounds are not suitable for this role. They practically do not bark and are calm with respect to outsiders.
Of course, do not "tease" the pet and start small animals. This will be a provocation greyhounda, because even during the game with relatives, the dog can gently strangle the dog. What can we say about rabbits or even cats, then the blood of the pet will boil.
Myths about greyhounds
A variety of fables have formed around the breed, many of which can be dethroned:
- Greyhounds are dogs suitable only for hunters. This is not true. Dogs do not require compulsory hunting, it is enough for them to walk 2 times for 1-1.5 hours. If there is an opportunity to visit the coursing - fine, no - the pet will not wither away from anguish.
- These dogs are poorly trained. Nonsense! Purebred representatives are sharp minded and understand the team very quickly. They do not need to repeat the same thing many times. However, greyhound needs an individual approach - without rudeness and template methods.
- Greyhoundov can not be kept in an apartment. Just in this case, there is not a single reason for such a statement. The dogs calmly wait for the owners, practically do not bark and have short hair. Plus do not require special conditions - it is enough to provide a place where the pet could stretch out for rest.
- Greyhounds are self-willed and "on their own." Yes, the minds of dogs are, they are able to independently make informed decisions. But they are very affectionate and affectionate towards the owners.
- Dogs are prone to shoots. There is such a disadvantage, but only under certain conditions. Firstly, this way pets do without proper education, and secondly, if the dog does not get enough walking, she can walk alone.
It is also a lie that the representatives of this breed develop a speed of up to 80 km / no, only up to 67 km / h. This should be taken into account in the range, at such speeds, the animal can be destroyed, including a fatal outcome. Walking is better for arranging in a familiar place and a relaxed atmosphere.
How to maintain and care for the pet
Short and smooth coat does not require special care. It is enough 1-2 times a week to comb the pet with a massage brush, for these purposes, a special rubber glove or mitt is also suitable.
Greyhounds do not need frequent bathing , it is enough to wash them as necessary. Use better quality cleaning products purchased at a pet store.
Weak place greyhounds - teeth, as in animals often formed tartar. Therefore, you should regularly brush your pet's teeth . Like most apartment dogs, representatives of this breed need to shear claws . If you do not do this, you may experience lameness.
Eyes and ears of the pet should be periodically examined and cleaned of contamination ( how to clean the ears of the dog ). You can use a chamomile broth or an antiseptic.
As already noted, greyhounds need regular long walks - away from small animals, the carriageway, in the open area, so that the pet does not want to hunt. In the cold, experts recommend wearing a pet for walking.
Greyhounds are scrupulous and finicky about food. Therefore, to feed the animal with its own scraps will not work. It is best to feed the dog with ready-made dry rations of premium or super-premium class. You can also give a favorite food for dinner. In favor of this food says that liquid food is absolutely not suitable for greyhounds and can lead to constipation.
The stomach of the Greyhound is small, so for the pet is suitable fractional food. The advantage of the breed is the lack of a tendency to overeating. But this does not cancel the standard cleaning of the feeding place. Do not leave any leftovers, as this will not allow the pet to get used to the diet.
More on what to feed the greyhound .
The cost of puppies greyhound
The breed is quite expensive:
- a representative of the show class who will become a worthy participant in exhibitions and a successor of the family will cost around 45,000-7,000 rubles;
- puppies belonging to the breed class, cost from 25,000 to 40,000 rubles;
- favorite of the family, without an exhibition future and the right to breeding, you can buy for 15,000-20,000 rubles.
Greyhound - effective, restrained dog, suitable for housing content. But if there is a desire to acquire such a pet, you should also consider some breed conditions. It is not necessary to demand that, due to its purpose, the dog can not fulfill. The dog needs to be educated, trained, and respectfully respected. In this case, love and devotion are guaranteed.
Greyhound nursery in: