Elegant, sophisticated, aristocratic - this is what can be said when looking at a representative of the Greyhound breed. And indeed, these dogs from the UK are able to hit everyone, but not only by their appearance. They are great runners, and so good that they deserve to be listed in the Guinness Book of Records. The recorded maximum speed of the greyhound is impressive - 67.32 km / h. Moreover, the record of Cindy's miam dog, which jumped 1 m 73 cm in height, still remains unattainable for other four-legged pets.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание представителей породы 2. Description of the breed
- Каков характер у собак 3. What is the character of dogs
- Мифы о грейхаундах 4. Myths about the Greyhound
- Как содержать и ухаживать за питомцем 5. How to maintain and care for a pet
- Кормление грейхаунда 6. Greyhound Feeding
- Видео о грейхаунде 7. Greyhound videos
- Стоимость щенков грейхаунда 8. Cost of Greyhound Puppies
The breed has such an ancient history that it is still not precisely established where it came from. Among the most popular versions, but not scientifically confirmed, can be noted the ancient Egyptian appearance of dogs. This theory is based on frescoes depicting dogs similar in appearance to greyhounds. By the way, the age of the frescoes is more than 4000 years. Although the outward similarity of the Greyhounds with Saluki and Slyugi is noted, genetic studies include the latter among the herding breeds.
Genetics tend to believe that the ancestors of these dogs belong to European breeds. Moreover, in the poem during the reign of Octavian Augustus there is a description of the dogs of the Celtic tribes, resembling the Greyhounds. In the harsh period of the Middle Ages, the greyhounds almost disappeared from the face of the earth. But then the priests took up the salvation of the breed.
In the 10th century, King Khivel II issued a law according to which a person who killed a greyhound was subjected to the death penalty. At the beginning of the 11th century, Celtic and Gallic tribes moved to the shores of England, taking with them their pets.
At the same time, the King of Denmark, Knud the Great legally forbade commoners to hunt in the forests. This right only had to know how to maintain their own pack of greyhounds. Naturally, the dogs began to cost significantly more, and the commoners paid the price for their head to kill the dog.
And William the Conqueror went even further, declaring the forest and everything in it is royal property. Hunting, extraction of wood was outlawed. Of course, people did not cease to hunt, but for commoners it was easier to do this with dogs of inconspicuous colors - gray, black, fawn. But the nobility, on the contrary, valued greyhounds with bright, conspicuous hair - white, stained, it was easier to keep them in sight. At the same time, a saying appeared, according to which a gentleman can be recognized by the fact that he has a horse and a greyhound.
In the 15th century, Queen Elizabeth canceled this decree. The ruler had the reputation of an ardent greyhound fan, and she was also involved in the creation of rules for dog racing.
At the end of the 18th century, greyhounds are the most popular hunting and sports dogs. This breed was the first at the peak of fashion. At the same time, the first accessible course club for all was opened - field trials using bait. Prior to this, these clubs were extremely closed.
Description of the breed
If we talk about the basic qualities of the Greyhounds, then this is speed and endurance. Dogs are tall, they are taller than other greyhound breeds.
- The maximum height of males at the withers is 77 cm, body weight is 16-25 kg. Bitches slightly lower, their height from 68.5 to 71 cm.
- The dog's head is long, with a flat skull and powerful jaws.
- Build a classic for this type of breed. Greyhounds have a developed musculature, a deep pile of cells with developed shoulders. Dogs have a wide back with a strong lumbar belt.
- The strongest part of these dogs is muscular legs . The animal has remarkable jogging force, which provides high speeds of movement.
Greyhounds of the following colors can be found:
- deer (yellowish);
Also, the standard allowed any of the above colors, located on a white background.
What is the character of dogs
The aristocracy of these dogs in the blood, they are restrained and calm. Their temperament does not allow barking without a reason. Owners describe pets only on the positive side and are called very accommodating animals. But is it really?
For the Greyhounds, respectful attitude from family members is important, and they reciprocate. But children may be disliked, at the most due to undue attention and obsession. These dogs are not suitable as toys for babies. No, the greyhound will not show aggression, but will avoid meetings with younger members of the family. The only option for an ideal relationship is joint maturity, when the puppy will reciprocate the growing baby.
As true aristocrats, dogs are capable of catching intonation in a person’s voice, so they learn about the mood of the host. If the owner is upset, then the pet will not impose its presence.
The downside is the very strong hunting instincts of the Greyhounds. Any small animal moving along the street can be the subject of a dog hunt. In certain cases, they may even “hunt” for transport. This may seem to some as a sign of a dog’s stupidity, however, it is not related to intelligence, but a sign of strong craving for hunting.
But the Greyhounds are absolutely not whims and do not require constant attention to their person. Left alone, the greyhound will not howl with grief or spoil the master's things. By the way, we advise you to read why the dog is howling . For a pet, the calm expectation of the owners is quite natural.
Like many breeds intended for hunting, the Greyhounds are devoid of aggression. Given that they live with people all their lives, there is no anger in them towards them. But if you need a dog for protection, the greyhounds are not suitable for this role. They practically do not bark and are calm towards strangers.
Of course, you should not "tease" the pet and start small animals. This will be a Greyhound provocation, because even while playing with relatives the dog can gently strangle the dog. What can we say about rabbits or even cats, the blood of a pet boils here.
A variety of nonsense has formed around the breed, many of which can be easily debunked:
- Greyhounds are dogs suitable exclusively for hunters. This is not true. Dogs do not require compulsory hunting; it is enough for them to walk 2 times for 1-1.5 hours. If there is a possibility of visiting the course - fine, no - the pet will not wither from anguish.
- These dogs are poorly trained. Nonsense! Purebred representatives have a sharp mind and understand the team very quickly. They do not need to repeat the same thing many times. However, for the Greyhoundav, an individual approach is needed - without coarseness and patterned methods.
- Greyhounds cannot be kept in an apartment. Just in this case there is no reason for such a statement. Dogs quietly wait for the owners, practically do not bark and have short hair. Plus do not require special conditions - it is enough to provide a place where the pet could stretch out for rest.
- Greyhounds are headstrong and "in themselves." Yes, dogs have a mind, they are able to make informed decisions on their own. But they are very affectionate and gentle towards the owners.
- Dogs are prone to escapes. There is such a flaw, but only under certain conditions. Firstly, pets do this without proper upbringing, and secondly, if the dog does not get enough walking, it can walk on its own.
It is a lie that representatives of this breed can reach speeds of up to 80 km / no, only up to 67 km / h. This should be taken into account on the runs, at such speeds the animal can break, including a possible fatal outcome. Walking is better to arrange in familiar surroundings and calm atmosphere.
How to maintain and care for a pet
Short and smooth coat does not require special care. 1-2 times a week is enough to comb your pet with a massage brush; a special rubber glove or mitten will also work for this purpose.
Greyhounds do not need frequent bathing , it is enough to wash as needed. Use better quality detergents purchased at the pet store.
The weak point of the greyhound is the teeth, since animals often form tartar. Therefore, you should regularly brush your pet's teeth . Like most apartment dogs, representatives of this breed need to trim their claws . If this is not done, then lameness may occur.
Pet's eyes and ears should be periodically inspected and cleaned of contamination ( how to clean the ears of a dog ). You can use chamomile decoction or antiseptic.
As already noted, the Greyhounds need regular long runs - away from small animals, the roadway, in the open, so that the pet does not have the desire to hunt. In cold weather, experts recommend putting on a pet for walking.
Feeding the greyhound
Greyhounds are quite scrupulous and picky in terms of nutrition. Therefore, to feed the animal with its own scraps will not work. It is best to feed the dog with ready-made premium or super premium dry rations. You can also give your favorite pet food for dinner. In favor of such food, and the fact that liquid food is absolutely not suitable for greyhounds and can lead to constipation.
The greyhound's stomach is small, so a fractional diet is suitable for a pet. The advantage of the breed is the lack of a tendency to overeat. But this does not negate the standard cleaning of the feeding place. Do not leave leftover food, as this will not allow your pet to get used to the diet.
Learn more about how to feed the greyhound .
Greyhound puppies cost
The breed is quite expensive:
- a representative of the show class, who will become a worthy participant of exhibitions and the successor of the clan will cost about 45000-70000 rubles;
- puppies belonging to the breed class cost from 25,000 to 40,000 rubles;
- family pet, without the exhibition future and the right to breeding, you can buy for 15000-20000 rubles.
Greyhound - a spectacular, discreet dog, suitable for housing maintenance. But if there is a desire to acquire such a pet, some breed conditions should be taken into account. No need to demand that, by virtue of its purpose, the dog can not perform. The dog needs training, education and mandatory respect. In this case, love and dedication are guaranteed.
Greyhound Nursery in: