Specialists managed to find out that the hounds of dogs are the most ancient of all who helped to hunt our ancestors. People began to tame wild dogs for this purpose and as a result received excellent companions. It was easier to get game, so hunting with hounds took root and gained popularity.
What are the advantages of hound dogs?
There are different hunting breeds, what are the hounds among them? Representatives of such breeds are able to trace the beast in the trail and drive it until it does not break. The whole process of enclosure is accompanied by a loud, barking bark. After catching the prey, they must hold it, waiting for the hunters to arrive.
To hunt in this way, dogs must have long ears, a nose with wide nostrils and a muscular physique. Hounds are very hardy, vigorous, which allows them to move for a long time without slowing down the pace. If the greyhound in the business is important visual contact, then these dogs are able to lead the beast, relying only on an acute scent. Hounds are pretty wayward, active, but often they are excellent defenders and family pets.
Various kinds of hounds
The development of the rocks took place on an ascending basis, many varieties of hounds, oriented to a certain game began to appear: otter, fox, and raccoon. Also, a breed that worked fine on the blood track was taken out separately.
According to the International Cynological Federation, the hounds make up 6 out of 10 groups, which includes 75 breeds. This group is the most numerous. The standard distinguishes several types of hounds: large, medium, small, and also working in the pack. In addition, Rhodesian Ridgeback and Dalmatian are considered breeds related to hounds.
Best beagle breeds
Who is in this category?
- American foxhound. The breed was made possible by crossing two hounds - English and French. These are elegant dogs that can develop a great speed and have a sharp nose. At home - it's a gentle, complaisant pet, on the hunt - a warlike dog, able to run a day without fatigue.
- Poitwin. For the basis was taken fokshaund and several hounds. The result was a tall dog with a light, lean body. Poitevins are used for hunting in various localities - marshy, mountainous, plains. Among hunters on the wolf, representatives of this breed are considered the best.
- Russian Pigeon Hound. At the beginning of the 20th century, a new breed of hounds, a Russian hound, appeared through a long selection work. It immediately gained popularity among hunters, but not everyone could afford it. At home, the dog behaves attentively, but only if it receives regular discharge in the form of hunting.
- Biyi. Representatives of this breed are the best hunters for deer and deer. For their breeding used a few excellent, though forgotten breeds - seri, larri and montenfebov. Biyy - proud, bold, fast and active dogs, are capable of barking, using different timbres, by which you can find out for which game the hound went.
- Harrier. The English breed, which was brought out to hunt for a hare, however, the hares were excellent in hunting fox and wild boar. Among the ancestors of these dogs are foxhounds, tablothaands and southern hounds. Representatives of this breed need a long and persistent training, but as a result you will get a wonderful hunter.
- The Transylvanian Hound. An ancient breed, which is ideal for hunting in the highlands. These dogs are perfectly oriented on the terrain, they are able to move on difficult-to-pass areas. Their distinguishing features are perseverance and courage.
- Laufhund. The genus of these Swiss hounds comes from dogs that were hunted back in ancient Egypt. Laufhunds are very hardy, obedient and loyal. In hunting they show unprecedented courage, with them you can go out on both hares and wild boars.
- Beagle. Most hunting breeds of small size were retrained into domestic dogs, however, Bigley still remained working dogs. They are suitable for hunting various small game, including birds, and are also excellent anglers.
- Basset Hound. The phlegmatic appearance of these short-horned dogs is deceptive - they are able to run very fast. They are used to hunt for normal animals, opossums and pheasants. At home, they are good-natured and calm pets, who do not cause much trouble.
- Russian Hound. These are strong dogs, graceful, with excellent working qualities. They do not require complex care. But such a pet is not recommended to start newcomers - Russian hounds are freedom-loving, wayward animals that can show obstinacy.
Hounds are working dogs that are best planted for their intended use. If you keep such a pet in four walls, you can not only make trouble, but also spoil the animal.