Among human diseases, gastritis is among the most common diseases. However, the same picture is observed in our friends of the four-legged ones - the inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach surface is again in the lead. Like in humans, gastritis in dogs causes a number of unpleasant symptoms, can provoke complications and requires mandatory treatment.
Causes of Dog Gastritis
The causes of inflammation in dogs do not differ from human, with the exception of the use of alcoholic beverages and smoking. If people have the most common causative agent of Helicobacter Pylori, what causes gastritis in dogs? The main factors that act as provocateurs of this pathology are:
- non-compliance with the diet, poor quality or monotonous food - according to statistics, dogs that eat cheap dry rations, which do not meet the needs of the animal, are more likely to suffer from stomach inflammation;
- eating food that is not suitable for a dog's diet - sausages, sausages, sweets, smoked meats and other goodies are extremely harmful to dogs;
- Worm infection - the larvae of some parasites live on the mucous surface of the stomach, sticking to it, they release toxic substances that irritate the surface of the body;
- allergic reactions;
- dental diseases and their treatment - such diseases are often accompanied by a strong pain syndrome, which provokes the production of glucocorticosteroids, and they, in turn, increase pathological processes in the stomach, the same happens when a patient is treated teeth without anesthesia;
- endocrine disruption;
- other diseases in chronic form;
- the use of certain drugs.
Acute inflammation can occur after an animal eats stale food, recovers, or swallows a foreign body. Also having a factor is therapy with non-steroid drugs. Often there is secondary gastritis, which develops against the background of other pathological conditions, such as liver disease.
Older animals that have sore, partially or completely missing teeth, often suffer from chronic inflammation. The reason for this condition is their inability to chew food thoroughly, the dog swallows large pieces. "Earn" gastritis can pet, which is fed hot or, conversely, excessively cold food.
Dogs with long hair, gastritis is diagnosed more often than their short-haired counterparts, and this is the reason - in their stomach often gets huddled wool, pieces of undigested food. Such regular irritation of the mucous tissue can cause surface damage and the development of inflammation.
At risk are ill-bred pets who eat various kinds of garbage, including not always edible. Foreign objects that enter the stomach may well cause gastritis.
The acute form of the disease is accompanied by more pronounced symptoms, it is developing rapidly, and it is easy for the owner to understand that his pet is sick. Chronic gastritis is slow, its signs may not be too noticeable or smeared.
Symptoms can occur all at once, but more often only some of them are observed. The main manifestations of inflammation of the gastric mucosa are as follows:
- pain in the stomach - almost always occur during gastritis; if the pain is severe, then the dog begins to whine; palpation (palpation) of the peritoneum, it can be greatly enhanced;
- refusal to eat or reduce appetite - the dog may not touch the food at all or leave most of it in the bowl;
- a significant decrease in activity - the pet reluctantly goes for a walk, refuses games and other interactions, does not execute commands; constantly strive to retire, and when lying down, it practically does not change the chosen position;
- violation of the act of defecation - with increased acidity of the gastric juice of the patient suffer from constipation, with reduced diarrhea; if the feces become dark, then we are talking about gastric bleeding;
- the dog is nauseous, gagging arises - the ejected contents of the stomach may have a mucous or bloody impurity;
- the surface of the tongue is covered with a whitish bloom.
Acute gastritis may be accompanied by severe thirst, abundant salivation (drooling), signs of dehydration. Often, the patient fever, with a chronic disease of this symptom is not.
There are several forms and types of the disease, characterized by an increase or decrease in the acidity of gastric juice. This, to a greater extent, necessitates a mandatory visit to the veterinary clinic. Only a doctor on the basis of the results of tests can prescribe a suitable therapy.
Primary care for acute gastritis includes the following activities:
- the first day the animal is recommended to starve;
- gastric lavage is prescribed, but without drugs that cause vomiting;
- after a hunger strike for 2 days, the pet should be given rice or oat mucous broth, a raw chicken egg can be added, then other products are gradually introduced;
- if signs of dehydration are detected, the dog is given droppers with saline solution, glucose solution, etc .;
- when a dog suffers from diarrhea, include the use of anchoring agents in treatment, and constipation - laxatives;
- make enemas with a warm liquid, until the excreted liquid is clear, without pathological impurities;
- in order to relieve the four-legged patient from pain, the veterinarian prescribes medications with anesthetic, antispasmodic, analgesic effect;
- antibiotic therapy - is carried out if the analysis revealed the presence of pathogenic microflora or infectious pathogen.
In case of gastritis of any form, the mucous membrane of the affected organ suffers; it needs protection and recovery. For these purposes, the pet is recommended to take antacid medicines - Almagel, De-Nol, Fosfalyugel, etc.
If inflammation is caused by helminthic invasion, then, first of all, it is necessary to carry out de-worming, saving the dog from uninvited guests and only then proceed to the treatment of gastritis. In some cases, animals suffering from gastritis go to the veterinarian in an exhausted condition. Then they are also prescribed vitamin-mineral complexes.
Diet food for gastritis
Inflammation of the stomach requires mandatory compliance with the diet, this applies to both people and pets:
- when feeding a dog, you must adhere to the regime;
- At first, it is better to give the pet mucous meals pasty consistency, it is desirable to chop the meat, chop the vegetables to a state of mashed potatoes;
- during an exacerbation of ready-made rations, it is advisable to refuse and consult with a veterinarian about this - quite often the owners have to transfer the dog to other, specialized rations or natural food.
The ban includes the following products that can cause exacerbation of the disease:
- prickly vegetables - radish, onion, garlic, radishes and dishes with them;
- vegetables and fruits in raw form, which are sources of coarse fiber;
- fatty meats;
- smoked, spicy, salty, pickled, fried foods.
Cooking food for dogs should be a steam method, or boiling. It should be fresh, without spices, seasonings and artificial ingredients.
Gastritis is a common ailment that can cause all sorts of complications. And if the owner really cares about the health of the pet, then he must contact the veterinarian and treat the four-legged friend at the first sign of illness, according to the appointed plan.