Among human diseases, gastritis is on the list of the most common diseases. However, the same picture is observed among friends of our quadrupeds - the inflammation of the mucous surface of the stomach is again in the lead. As in humans, gastritis in dogs causes a number of unpleasant symptoms, can provoke complications and requires compulsory treatment.
Causes of gastritis in dogs
The causes of inflammation in dogs practically do not differ from human, except for the use of alcoholic beverages and smoking. If the most common pathogen is the bacterium Helikobakter Pilori, then, what causes gastritis in dogs? The main factors that act as provocateurs of this pathology are:
- malnutrition, poor-quality or monotonous food - according to statistics, more often from the inflammation of the stomach, dogs suffering from cheap dry diets that do not meet the needs of the animal suffer;
- eating food that is not suitable for a dog's diet - sausages, sausages, sweets, smoked foods and other goodies are extremely harmful to dogs;
- infection with worms - larvae of some parasites live on the mucous surface of the stomach, sticking to it, they secrete toxic substances that irritate the surface of the organ;
- allergic reactions;
- dental diseases and their treatment - these diseases are often accompanied by a strong pain syndrome, which provokes the production of glucocorticosteroids, and those in turn increase the pathological processes in the stomach, this also happens when the patient is treated without anesthesia;
- disruption of the endocrine system;
- other diseases in chronic form;
- use of some medications.
Acute inflammation can occur after the animal has eaten stale food, poisoned or swallowed a foreign body. Also, the disposing factor is nonsteroidal drug therapy. Often there is a secondary gastritis, which develops against the background of other pathological conditions, for example, liver diseases.
Older animals, who have a pain, partially or completely missing teeth, often suffer from chronic inflammation. The reason for this condition is their inability to thoroughly chew food, the dog swallows large pieces. "Earn" gastritis can pet, who is fed hot or, conversely, an excessively cold food.
In dogs with long hair, gastritis is diagnosed more often than their short-haired brethren, and there is a reason for this - their hair often gets stuck in wool, pieces of undigested food. Such regular irritation of the mucous tissue can cause surface damage and the development of inflammation.
In the risk group are ill-bred pets, who eat different garbage, including, not always edible. Foreign objects falling into the stomach may well lead to the development of gastritis.
The acute form of the disease is accompanied by more severe symptoms, develops rapidly, and the owner can easily understand that his pet is sick. Chronic gastritis proceeds slowly, its signs may not be too noticeable or lubricated.
Symptoms can occur all at once, but more often only some of them are observed. The main manifestations of inflammation of the gastric mucosa are the following:
- pain in the area of the stomach - almost always occur with gastritis; if the soreness is strong, then the dog starts to whimper; when palpation (probing) of the peritoneum, it can significantly increase;
- refusal to eat or loss of appetite - the dog may not touch food at all or leave the most part in the bowl;
- a significant decrease in activity - the pet reluctantly goes for a walk, refuses to play games and other interactions, does not perform the commands; constantly strive to seclude himself, and when he lies, he practically does not change the chosen posture;
- violation of the act of defecation - with increased acidity of the gastric juice of the patient, constipation is excruciated, with decreased diarrhea; if the feces become dark, then we are talking about gastric bleeding;
- the dog is sick, there is vomiting - the erupting contents of the stomach can have a mucous or bloody impurity;
- the surface of the tongue becomes covered with whitish coating.
Acute gastritis can be accompanied by a strong thirst, abundant salivation (drooling), signs of dehydration. Often, the patient raises the temperature, with a chronic illness, this symptom does not.
There are several forms and types of the disease, differing in the increase or decrease in the acidity of gastric juice. This, to a large extent, necessitates a compulsory visit to the veterinary clinic. Only a doctor can prescribe suitable therapy based on the results of the tests.
Primary care for acute gastritis includes the following activities:
- the first day the animal is recommended to starve;
- a gastric lavage is prescribed, but without drugs that cause vomiting;
- after a hunger strike for 2 days, the pet should be given a rice or oat mucus broth, you can add a raw chicken egg, then gradually introduce other foods;
- if signs of dehydration are revealed, the dog is put with droppers with saline solution, glucose solution, etc .;
- when the dog is suffering from diarrhea, the treatment includes the use of fixative drugs, with constipation - laxatives;
- Do enemas with a warm liquid, until the released fluid becomes clear, without a pathological impurity;
- to relieve a four-legged patient from pain, the veterinarian prescribes drugs with analgesic, antispasmodic, analgesic effect;
- antibiotic therapy - is performed if the analysis revealed the presence of a pathogenic microflora or an infectious agent.
With gastritis of any form, the mucous membrane of the affected organ suffers, it needs to be protected and restored. For these purposes, the pet is recommended to take antacid medicines - Almagel, De-Nol, Phosphalugel and the like.
If the inflammation is caused by helminthic invasion, then, first of all, it is necessary to conduct deworming, thus, removing the dog from uninvited guests and then proceeding with gastritis therapy. In some cases, animals suffering from gastritis get to the vet at the time they are sick. Then they are additionally assigned vitamin-mineral complexes.
Dietary food for gastritis
Inflammation of the stomach requires a mandatory diet, this applies to people as well as to pets:
- when feeding a dog, it is necessary to adhere to the regime;
- At first it is better to give the pet slimy dishes of a mushy consistency, it is desirable to grind the meat, vegetables to grind to a puree state;
- in the period of exacerbation from ready-made diets it is desirable to refuse and consult on this matter with a veterinarian - quite often the owners have to translate the dog to other, specialized rations or natural food.
The following products that can exacerbate the disease fall under the ban:
- caustic vegetables - radish, onion, garlic, radish and dishes with them;
- vegetables and fruits in raw form, which are sources of coarse fiber;
- fatty meats;
- smoked, spicy, salted, pickled, fried food.
Cooking food for the dog follows the steam method, or boiling. It should be fresh, without spices, seasonings and artificial ingredients.
Gastritis is a common ailment that can cause various complications. And if the owner really cares about the health of the pet, then he must always go to the veterinarian and treat the four-legged friend at the first signs of the disease, according to the plan.