Fox Terrier - a dog that was bred for nesting foxes. Naturally, this orientation affected the character and habits of the breed's representatives. What will the owners of the fox terrier face, which they decide to acquire as a pet?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы фокстерьер 2. Description of breed fox terrier
- Черты характера фокса 3. Character traits of Fox
- Особенности дрессировки 4. Features of training
- Как ухаживать за собакой этой породы 5. How to care for a dog of this breed
- Кормление фокстерьера 6. Feeding the Fox Terrier
- Фото фокстерьера 7. Photo of the Fox Terrier
- Видео о фокстерьере 8. Video about the fox terrier
- Стоимость щенков-фокстерьеров 9. Cost of puppies-fox terriers
Origin of the breed
According to one theory, the so-called "peaty dogs" are considered to be the ancestors of modern fox terriers, in accordance with another - they appeared as a result of crossing small hounds with terriers. There is evidence that an English breeder was deliberately engaged in breeding breeds intended for hunting for foxes and rodents. He brought a large number of dogs with excellent hunting qualities, which were further improved.
Then the Fox Terrier breed began to form, and its separation from other species occurred only at the end of the 18th century. This event is connected with the growing popularity of hunting for foxes not only among the elite, but also ordinary citizens. At that time the club of fans of the Fox Terriers was organized, and the selection work continued. Dogs were crossed with beagles, bull terriers and other breeds in order to improve the already available characteristics.
Description of breed fox terrier
There are two types of fox terriers - woolly and short-haired, which have almost the same physical data, character and behavior. The growth of males at the withers does not exceed 39 cm, and the bitches are even lower. Male weight yat up to 8.1 kg, females - up to 7.7 cm.
According to the standard, fox terriers have such external features:
- The head is wedge-shaped with a flat forehead, elongated and dry, tapering to the nose. The occipital mound is weakly expressed. The auricles are small, in the shape of a triangle. They are planted high, hang on cartilages, do not have wrinkles. In dogs of this breed, the transition from forehead to muzzle is smooth, almost imperceptible.
- Jaws with a full row of strong teeth, but, despite their strength, the presence of pronounced masticatory muscles is undesirable. Bite by the type of scissors.
- Nose with obligatory black pigmentation.
- Eyes small, with a dark iris and centuries, deeply planted, slightly slanting. Look smart, alive.
- Dogs have a proportional body in the form of a square with a long neck, gradually expanding to the shoulder girdle. It goes into a clearly defined withers. The back is short, with a good muscular corset and strong, slightly convex loin. A narrow thorax , of decent depth, with convex anterior and deep, rather elastic, posterior ribs.
- The forelimbs are located close to each other. They have closely fitting elbows, long scapulas and short, vertically spaced pasterns.
- The hindquarters are straight, broad and parallel, the heel bones slightly backward. Articular joints are pronounced. The hips are elongated and the shins are of moderate length with developed musculature. The extremities end in small, arched paws with tightly compressed fingers resembling a cat's paw
- The tail is cut, leaving a quarter or a little longer, stands "stuck up."
It will be interesting:
Wool and fox terrier colors
As already noted, there are two varieties of the breed that differ in the quality of the wool. Smooth-haired fox-terriers have smooth, straight wool, close to the body. It is distinguished by its stiffness and density. According to the standard, the coat should be present on the inner side of the thighs and abdomen, its absence is a type of marriage.
With regard to the woolly fox terriers, they have a dense, harsh, coarse wool. The undercoat is very plentiful, much shorter than the outer hair and feels soft to the touch. There are several colors with a predominance of white. Representatives of the breed are painted in:
- white with reddish spots;
- white with black specks;
- three-tone color.
Character traits of fox
Fox is a bunch of energy, active, cheerful and cheerful. He has an excitable nervous system and overdeveloped instincts of the hunter. These are dogs with a stable psyche and the need for a strict hierarchy, so the owner must necessarily become a leader so that the pet takes him for a "leader". Dogs of this breed can show wit and have developed intelligence, but these qualities are manifested only if necessary.
Fox Terrier has a whole set of qualities that are necessary for a real hunter: vigor, agility, attentiveness and absolute fearlessness. He is very curious and in any crack will necessarily stick his nose.
However, what is good for hunting can not always be useful at home. Moreover, some traits of character can even do much harm. If you do not give proper attention to the education of the fox terrier, it can become a real catastrophe for housing. He will bark loudly and loudly, rush around the clock and spoil things, furniture. And as for barking, this feature of all the representatives of the breed, even brought up.
Owners should be warned about another passion of these dogs - fox terriers love to dig the ground. But if they do not allow them to satisfy this need during their walks, they will dig at home - parquet, laminate, carpeting (the cost of covering them does not care) ... If the dog is brought up, then he is able to become a noble, cheerful friend, ready to protect his master in any time and be an excellent companion.
Fox is good for all members of the family. He is an excellent companion for games, but not too affectionate, so it is not recommended to leave him alone with the kids. Dogs of this breed are alarmed when approaching strangers and often raise noise, so they consider them to be good guard dogs.
Relations with other domestic animals in the Fox Terriers, for the most part, do not add up. Because of their impulsiveness and zadiristosti they can enter into a fight with dogs that exceed them in size. More small pets will be an excellent prey for Foxes and they will have to endure frequent thrashing. Therefore, keep the dog on a leash will have during the entire walk, and if there are other animals at home, then you need to deal with the upbringing of this "hunter". Experts point out that the fox terrier is not a dog for everyone, and the owner must have iron nerves and unlimited patience.
Features of training
Raising and training a hunting dog is not an easy task. First of all, it is recommended to pay due attention to the puppy's training to the toilet on the street. To do this, it should be taken out for paddock after each meal, and after emptying, encourage a small pet.
It is also possible to accustom the child to neatness, having developed a certain reflex, using a code word. For this, the word is said when the puppy crouched to empty himself. In the memory of the pet, it will necessarily be postponed, which is connected with this word.
To a fox terrier, one should not be rude, treat a pet with disdain, or use physical punishment. If the dog behaves badly, then it is highly discouraged to strike him, since training will become more complicated if the pet begins to shy away from the owner.
Given the temperament of dogs of this breed, it is necessary, as early as possible, to explain to the puppy how you can behave, and how you can not. Necessarily need consistency in training. For example, to treat a dog with food from his plate, and after a couple of days to punish him for begging, is illogical.
Begin to train a dog can be from 3 months, the duration of classes at first should not exceed 15 minutes. However, the frequency of exercise is important, and the best time for training is during the period before feeding. So the dog training will be associated with positive emotions. Specific training using an artificial burrow begins a little later, when the dog becomes older.
Good to know:
How to care for a dog of this breed
It is not difficult to care for a dog. Smooth-haired fox terriers are prone to annual moults, and their fur coat changes naturally. It is enough to scrub them from time to time - 4-8 times a month, and during moulting more often.
Hard-haired pets practically do not shed, so their coat needs regular pinching and trimming. Owners can master this technique and independently implement the procedure or entrust this matter to professionals.
Representatives of this breed do not need frequent bathing , it is enough to do it every 2-3 months or when the dog is heavily polluted. Use special detergents. Due to the fact that pets have a thick undercoat, it takes a long time for them to dry out.
The fox-terrier claws are not cut, as they are very active during their walking, and the process of their grinding is natural. But you need to brush your teeth 1-2 times a week. Ears should be examined regularly, and cleaned with a cotton disc 1-2 times a month.
Fox Terriers have strong health, especially if they are well cared for and provided with adequate nutrition and physical exertion. For the mood of the pet and its state of health, regular, active walking is important. If the dog pours out excess energy for a walk, then at home it will not become a source of problems.
Feeding the Fox Terrier
A balanced diet is important for any living being, and fox terriers are no exception. If the owner prefers ready-made rations, then it should be quality feed suitable for active medium-sized dogs. Unlike most breeds, it is possible to feed the fox terriers both naturalka and fodder, however, do not mix this food and do not give at the same time.
When natural feeding should follow the following proportions - 2/3 of the diet consists of meat or fish ingredients, and 1/3 - porridge, vegetables, sour-milk products. An adult pet can weekly arrange a day of unloading, giving only water, crackers and vegetables in its raw form.
It is important that the pet has round the clock access to clean drinking water, especially if the dog eats dry food. For the dog does not require a special variety in the diet, it is enough that it included the necessary components in the right amount:
- Fiber - is extremely important for good work of the gastrointestinal tract. Its sources are oatmeal, rice and buckwheat groats, vegetables - zucchini, carrots, cabbage, herbs - nettles and other herbs. In cereals and vegetable dishes it is recommended to add a small amount of vegetable oils.
- Meat - the basis of the diet, containing proteins and various useful trace elements. The best for fox terrier feeding is veal, beef, rabbit, turkey.
- Fish - 1-2 times a week, you can give it instead of meat, it is best cooked and without bones.
- Dairy products - milk should not be given to an adult dog, but kefirchik, yogurt, cottage cheese, yogurt without additives will only benefit the pet.
But in addition to useful food, there are a number of products that in no case should be given to the Fox Terrier. This list includes:
- bones, especially thin, tubular (just in case, read what to do if the bone is in the throat );
- sausages, smoked products;
- all sweet;
- fatty meat, especially pork;
- products with spices and spices.
If you can not make a complete diet yourself, you can seek advice from a veterinarian or experienced breeders.
Photo of the Fox Terrier
Video about the fox-terrier
Cost of puppies-fox terriers
Fox Terrier was the most suitable pet? In this case, future owners are interested in the question of the price of a puppy of this breed. If we talk about thoroughbred puppies with documents, their cost depends on various factors and, first of all, on the class:
- Pet-class - the puppy appeared from thoroughbred parents, and has a pedigree, however, some deviations from the standards (usually they are not noticeable for non-professionals), do not allow using it for breeding and exhibition careers. Such a baby will cost 10,000-15,000 rubles.
- Brid-class - meet the standard, suitable for exhibitions and breeding, but it is unlikely that they shine champion. The price of a puppy of this class costs from 15000 to 18000 rubles.
- Show class - this class includes the most promising representatives of the breed, which have high chances for the title and will be enviable candidates for mating. It is worth such a pet 18000-22000 rubles.
You can read about the classmate of the fox terrier - the German yaggter terrier .
Fox Terrier is a specific breed, and, like all hunting dogs, requires a special approach. It is best to start a pet for a direct purpose - hunting, where the dog can show all his talents. Otherwise, it is necessary to compensate this lack, as much as possible and more actively walking with his four-legged friend.