The Fox Terrier is a dog that was bred for fox foxhole hunting. Naturally, such an orientation reflected in the character and habits of the representatives of the breed. What are the owners of Fox Terrier, whom they decide to purchase as a pet?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы фокстерьер 2. Description fox terrier breed
- Черты характера фокса 3. Fox Traits
- Особенности дрессировки 4. Features of training
- Как ухаживать за собакой этой породы 5. How to care for a dog of this breed
- Кормление фокстерьера 6. Feeding Fox Terrier
- Фото фокстерьера 7. Photo Fox Terrier
- Видео о фокстерьере 8. Video about Fox Terrier
- Стоимость щенков-фокстерьеров 9. Cost of Fox Terrier Puppies
According to one theory, the so-called “peat dogs” are considered to be the ancestors of modern Fox Terriers; according to another, they appeared as a result of crossing small hounds with terriers. There is evidence that one English breeder was purposefully engaged in breeding a breed intended for hunting foxes and rodents. He brought a large number of dogs with excellent hunting qualities, which are further improved.
At that time, the Fox Terrier breed began to form, and its separation from other species occurred only at the end of the 18th century. This event is associated with the growing popularity of fox hunting, not only among the elite, but also ordinary citizens. At that time, a fox terrier club was organized, and breeding work continued. Dogs were crossed with beagles, bull terriers and other breeds in order to improve the existing characteristics.
Description of breed Fox Terrier
There are two types of fox terriers - wire-haired and short-haired, which have almost the same physical data, character and behavior. Growing males at the withers does not exceed 39 cm, and females even lower. Males weigh up to 8.1 kg, females - up to 7.7 cm.
According to the standard, Fox Terriers have the following external features:
- The wedge-shaped head with a flat forehead, elongated and dry, tapers towards the nose. Occiput is mild. Auricles are small, in the form of a triangle. They are planted high, hanging down on cartilage, do not have wrinkles. In dogs of this breed, the transition from the forehead to the muzzle is smooth, almost imperceptible.
- Jaws with a full range of strong teeth, but, despite their strength, the presence of pronounced chewing muscles is undesirable. Bite on the type of scissors.
- Nose with obligatory black pigmentation.
- The eyes are small, with a dark iris and eyelids, deep set, slightly slanted. Look smart, lively.
- In dogs, the proportional body is in the form of a square with a long neck, smoothly extending to the shoulder girdle. She goes into a distinct withers. The back is shortened, with a good muscular corset and a strong, slightly convex loin. A narrow chest , of decent depth, with convex anterior and deep, rather elastic posterior ribs.
- The forelegs are located closely in relation to each other. They have tight elbows, long shoulder blades and short, sheer, pasterns.
- Back - straight, wide and parallel, heel bones slightly directed backwards. The articular joints are pronounced. The hips are elongated and the legs are of moderate length with well-developed muscles. Limbs end in small, arched paws with tightly clenched fingers resembling a cat's paw.
- The tail is stopped, leaving a quarter or a little longer, standing “upright”.
It will be interesting:
Wool and Foxter Colors
As already noted, there are two types of breed that are distinguished by the quality of wool. Smooth-haired Fox Terriers have smooth, straight coat, tight to the body. It is distinguished by rigidity and density. According to the standard coat should be present on the inner side of the thighs and abdomen, its absence is a breed marriage.
With regards to wire-haired Fox Terriers, they have a thick, rough, coarse fur. The undercoat is very abundant, much shorter than the guard hairs and feels soft to the touch. There are several colors with a predominance of white. Representatives of the breed are painted in:
- white with reddish spots;
- white with black specks;
- tricolor tint.
Fox - a clot of energy, active, alert and cheerful. He has an excitable nervous system and an over-developed hunter instinct. These are dogs with a stable psyche and the need for a strict hierarchy, so the owner must become a leader so that the pet takes him as a "leader." Dogs of this breed can be smart and have a developed intellect, but these qualities are manifested only when necessary.
Fox Terrier has a whole set of qualities that are needed for a real hunter: energy, agility, attentiveness and absolute courage. He is very curious and will surely stick his nose in any crack.
However, what is good for hunting may not always be useful at home. Moreover, some traits can even hurt. If you do not give proper attention to the education of the Fox Terrier, it can be a real disaster for housing. He will often bark loudly, rush around the clock and spoil things, furniture. As for barking, this feature of all members of the breed, even educated.
Owners should be warned about one more passion of these dogs - Fox Terriers love to dig the ground. But if you do not let them meet this need during the walking days, they will dig at home - parquet, laminate, carpet (they don’t care about the cost of covering) ... If you bring up the dog, he can become a noble, cheerful friend who is ready to defend his master. any time and be a great companion.
Fox treats all family members well. He is an excellent companion for games, but not too gentle, so it is not recommended to leave him alone with the kids. Dogs of this breed are alarmed when strangers approach and often make noise, therefore they are considered to be good guard dogs.
Relationships with other pets at Fox terriers, for the most part, do not add up. Because of their impulsiveness and cockiness, they can engage in fights with dogs exceeding their size. More small pets will be excellent prey for Foxes, and they will have to endure frequent bashing. Therefore, it is necessary to keep the dog on a leash during the entire walk, and if there are other animals at home, then you need to be closely engaged in raising this “hunter”. Experts note that the Fox Terrier is not a dog for everyone, and the owner must have iron nerves and endless patience.
Features of training
Raising and training a hunting dog is not easy. First of all, it is recommended to pay due attention to schooling a puppy to the toilet outside. To do this, it should be taken out for walking after each meal, and after emptying to encourage a small pet.
You can also teach your child to tidiness, having developed a specific reflex, using a code word. For this, the word is said when the puppy crouched down to empty it. In the memory of the pet must be postponed, which is associated with this word.
To fox terrier can not be rude, to treat a pet with disdain or apply physical punishment. If the dog behaves badly, then it is highly not recommended to inflict blows on him, as the training will be complicated if the pet shuns the owner.
Given the temperament of the dogs of this breed, you should, as soon as possible, explain to the puppy how to behave, and how not. Be sure to need a sequence in learning. For example, it is illogical to treat a dog with food from his plate, and after a couple of days to punish him for begging.
You can start to train a dog from 3 months, the duration of training at the beginning should not exceed 15 minutes. However, the frequency of exercise is important, and the best time for training falls on the period before feeding. So dog training will be associated with positive emotions. Specific training using the artificial burrow begins a little later, when the dog becomes older.
Good to know:
How to care for a dog of this breed
Caring for a dog is easy. Smooth-haired fox terriers are subject to annual molting, and their coat changes naturally. It is enough to periodically scratch them with a brush - 4-8 times a month, and more often during the molting period.
Hard-haired pets practically do not shed, so their coat needs regular tweaking and trimming. Owners can master this technique and independently carry out the procedure or entrust this business to professionals.
Representatives of this breed do not need frequent bathing , it is enough to do this once every 2-3 months or when the dog becomes very dirty. Apply special detergents. Due to the fact that pets have a thick undercoat, they need a lot of time to dry.
The claws of fox terriers are not cut, as they are very active during walking, and the process of grinding them proceeds naturally. But you need to brush your teeth 1-2 times a week. Auricles should be inspected regularly, and cleaned with a cotton pad 1-2 times a month.
Fox terriers have good health, especially if they are well cared for and provided with good nutrition and proper physical exertion. Regular active walking is important for the pet's mood and well-being. If the dog will throw out excess energy for a walk, then at home he will not become a source of problems.
Feeding fox terrier
A balanced diet is important for any living thing, and Fox Terriers are no exception. If the owner prefers ready-made rations, then it should be high-quality food, suitable for active dogs of medium-sized breeds. Unlike most breeds, fox terriers can be fed as naturalka and feed, however, do not mix this food and do not give at the same time.
With natural feeding should adhere to the following proportions - 2/3 of the diet consists of meat or fish ingredients, and 1/3 - cereals, vegetables, dairy products. An adult pet can arrange weekly unloading days, giving only water, crackers and vegetables in its raw form.
It is important that the pet has round-the-clock access to clean drinking water, especially if the dog eats dry food. For a dog does not require much variety in the diet, it is enough to include the necessary components in the right quantity:
- Cellulose is extremely important for the good functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. Its sources are oatmeal, rice and buckwheat groats, vegetables - zucchini, carrots, cabbage, greens - nettle and other herbs. In porridges and vegetable dishes it is recommended to add a small amount of vegetable oils.
- Meat is the basis of the diet, containing proteins and various beneficial trace elements. Best for feeding fox terrier suitable veal, beef, rabbit, turkey.
- Fish - 1-2 times a week, you can give it instead of meat, preferably boiled and always boneless.
- Dairy products - do not give milk to an adult dog, but kefirchik, yogurt, cottage cheese, yogurt without additives will only benefit the pet.
But in addition to healthy food, there are a number of products that in no case should not be given to the Fox Terrier. This list includes:
- bones, especially thin, tubular (just in case, read what to do if a bone fell into the throat );
- sausages, smoked meats;
- all sweet;
- fatty meat, especially pork;
- foods with spices and spices.
If you can’t make a complete diet yourself, you can seek advice from a veterinarian or experienced breeders.
Fox terrier photo
Fox terrier video
Cost of Fox Terrier Puppies
Fox terrier turned out to be the most suitable pet? In this case, the future owners are interested in the issue of the price of a puppy of a given breed. If we talk about pedigree puppies with documents, then their cost depends on various factors and, above all, on the class:
- Pet-class - puppy appeared from pedigreed parents, and has a pedigree, however, some deviations from the standards (usually they are not noticeable to non-professionals), do not allow to use it for breeding and show career. Such a baby will cost 10,000-15,000 rubles.
- Breed class - meet the standard, suitable for exhibitions and breeding, but they are unlikely to shine the championship. The price of a puppy of this class costs from 15,000 to 18,000 rubles.
- Show class - this class includes the most promising representatives of the breed, who have high chances for a champion title and will be enviable candidates for matings. There is such a pet 18000-22000 rubles.
You can read about a classmate of the Fox Terrier - German Jagdteriere .
The Fox Terrier is a specific breed, and, like all hunting dogs, requires a special approach. It is best to start a similar pet for a direct purpose - hunting, where the dog can show all his talents. Otherwise, it is necessary to compensate for this disadvantage, as much as possible and more actively walking with his four-legged friend.