Dogs are subject to many illnesses that people suffer as well. Sometimes the owner may take vomiting or diarrhea in his pet for a banal poisoning or indigestion, but sometimes these signs speak of such a serious disease as enterocolitis in dogs. It is better to show your pet to a veterinarian at times, because only a doctor can make an accurate diagnosis.
- Характеристика и симптомы энтероколита у собак 1. Characteristics and symptoms of enterocolitis in dogs
- Диагностика заболевания 2. Diagnosis of the disease
- Лечение энтероколита у собак в домашних уловиях 3. Treatment of enterocolitis in dogs in domestic conditions
- Профилактика энтероколита 4. Prevention of enterocolitis
Characteristics and symptoms of enterocolitis in dogs
Enterocolitis in dogs is characterized by inflammation of the walls of the small and large intestines, as a result of which harmful microorganisms cause mucous membrane necrosis, allergic reactions , and organ irritation.
The most common causes of pathology are as follows:
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract, which in turn are divided by the type of pathogens - viruses and bacteria. With poor-quality nutrition, a dog can catch salmonellosis, and non-vaccinated individuals can easily catch parvovirus. These and other microorganisms lead to inflammation of the intestines of the animal.
- Parasites are another common cause of enterocolitis. The dog communicates with the outside world in its own way, she wants to sniff and lick everything, and such methods do not guarantee the safety of the dog. The animal can become infected with worms , lamblia, echinococcus and other parasites.
- Severe poisoning causes intestinal inflammation.
- Benign and malignant tumors of the digestive organs.
- Pathology of the cells of the immune system.
To determine the exact problem that caused intestinal inflammation, the physician should, and on the basis of the diagnosis, therapy will be prescribed. Young and old individuals are most susceptible to enterocolitis, the disease is least often diagnosed in dogs of middle and mature age.
Symptoms of the disease - pronounced, they can not be overlooked. These include:
- Diarrhea with an admixture of mucus, if at this stage is not treated, then streaks of blood appear in the stools.
- A progressive disease is characterized by the dog's false urge to empty.
- As a result of loose stool, irreversible processes occur at the muscular level, cases of bowel prolapse are recorded.
- Often the dog suffers from vomiting.
- Amid diarrhea and vomiting, a sharp decrease in body weight occurs.
- The pet's coat deteriorates, it starts to fall out, the species becomes dull, neglected - this is due to the immediate leaching of vitamins and minerals from the body.
- The dog is tormented by abdominal pains, the owner can fix bloating and flatulence with his pet.
- In some cases, fever and elevated body temperature is recorded.
In addition to these signs of enterocolitis, there are common symptoms of ill health - lethargy, apathy, refusal to eat , reluctance to walk.
Diagnosis of the disease
If one or more symptoms occur, you should go to a veterinary clinic. But before that, the owner is able to independently provide first aid to his pet. First of all, it is necessary to provide the pet with water in sufficient quantity, because with diarrhea and vomiting, dehydration is recorded.
You can restore the water-salt balance in your body with the help of a diluted Polysorb. They should feed the pet in small doses for an hour. Castor oil will help clean the intestines of the dog, which will facilitate the diagnosis of the disease by a veterinarian.
Upon arrival at the clinic, you will need to answer your doctor with a list of the following questions:
- Has there been a sharp transition from one type of power to another?
- Did the animal come in contact with other individuals?
- Did you make long trips with your dog?
- Does an animal like to dig in trash cans and tanks?
- Is walking on a leash with or without him?
The veterinarian should be aware of all the painful symptoms of the animal, as well as of the affixed vaccinations . After the conversation and inspection of the dog are assigned tests.
The performed blood test for biochemistry will allow the doctor to assess the condition and possible disturbances in the activity of the internal organs - the kidneys, liver, pancreas. Results will show the level of nutrients in the body. If there is a shortage of any element, vitamins can be prescribed. Also biochemistry detects dehydration. This analysis is given in the morning on an empty stomach, but in emergency cases, blood can be taken by neglecting these rules.
If you suspect a foreign object stuck in the gastrointestinal tract, x-rays are prescribed. This study is able to guarantee the presence or absence of foreign bodies in the body. There is no need to prepare a dog for X-rays.
To identify possible parasites will help analysis of feces. Normally, mucus and blood should be absent, parasite eggs should not be found.
The doctor may also prescribe an abdominal ultrasound scan of the pet. For this study you need to prepare:
- Within 10-12 hours, the dog should not eat, as possible flatulence in the stomach will affect the result.
- The intestines are cleaned with activated carbon on the eve of the ultrasound.
- In some cases, an enema is prescribed a few hours before the test - this makes it easier to examine the colon.
Modern method of diagnosis of diseases associated with the gastrointestinal tract - endoscopy. During this study, the doctor has the opportunity to take a tissue for a biopsy. The operation is less traumatic, performed under general anesthesia. Microcameras are introduced into the abdominal cavity of the dog, the doctor at this time evaluates the picture visually on the monitor.
Based on the results of tests and studies, the veterinarian diagnoses the dog and determines the subsequent treatment.
Treatment of enterocolitis in dogs in domestic conditions
Therapy primarily depends on the type of pathogen. In most cases, the veterinarian prescribes a special food for a sick dog. Day or two, medical fasting may be recommended, only drinking is allowed. The pet should receive enough drinking water - this will prevent dehydration.
After the first stage of the hunger strike, it is recommended to gradually introduce food familiar to the dog. The first time portions should be minimal. Every day their volume increases until it reaches the usual size.
If the animal previously fed on dry food , the doctor may recommend special nutrition for dogs with problems in the gastrointestinal tract. If the pet is accustomed to natural products, the vet will give a list of approved products.
During the rehabilitation allowed:
- Lean meat, chicken, turkey.
- Cottage cheese with minimal fat.
- Broth on cereals, suitable oatmeal or rice.
- Egg yolks.
During rehabilitation, the following are prohibited:
- Egg protein.
- Products with high sugar content.
- Fatty meat and fish.
For dietary nutrition prescribed essential minerals and substances for the body. When enterocolitis is often a deficiency of vitamins E, A, K, B, calcium and folic acid is washed out of the body. Vitamin complexes for dogs or dietary supplements can be prescribed by a doctor to maintain health. In some cases it is more rational to make the transition to a balanced diet, which in the shortest possible time will replenish the nutrients in the body.
The animal can be completely cured only by eliminating the cause of the inflammation of the intestines. If the test for feces detects the presence of parasites, then anthelmintic drugs are prescribed - Dironet, Azinoks, Febtal and others. In case of bacterial infection, treatment occurs with the help of antibiotics - Cefalexin VP, Amoxicillin VP, Trimethoprim 2VP and a number of others. In this case, antimicrobial drug therapy can be prescribed - Enroxil or Tsiprovet. If the reason is in oncology, then the doctor chooses chemotherapy or an operational way to remove the tumor.
Prescribed medications and to eliminate the symptoms of the disease. The dog may be given painkillers, for example, No-silo. In some cases, modulators of peristalsis are necessary; they will help avoid possible constipation .
First of all, prevention consists in the selection of proper nutrition that is appropriate for the age and health of the dog. If the animal uses natural products, then it is worth to abandon meat and fish of fatty varieties, give preference to broths that are easily absorbed by the body.
Timely passage of vaccinations will save the dog from a number of infections and bacteria that are the causative agents of intestinal inflammation.
A dog needs to be anthelmintic regularly, if parasites did not torture it before, then prevention should be carried out 3-4 times a year. If the owner does not want to once again give medicines to his pet, then several times a year you need to take feces for worms. Decision on prevention and treatment can only be made based on the results.
It is necessary to monitor the dog during a walk, it is impossible to allow the animal to dig in the garbage cans, it is not desirable to allow contact with other individuals, they can be carriers of diseases.
Prevention will reduce the risk of enterocolitis, and any ailment is easier to prevent than to treat.