Did a little bell appear in the house? He is funny jumping, nibbling around objects, slipping slippers and trying to get on the sofa? It's time to start training so that the grown-up pet does not allow itself such liberties. Dog training is a must. You should not think that the puppy is still small and insensible. You need to start raising it as early as possible, and you can do it yourself at home.
- Зачем дрессировать собаку и что использовать в процессе 1. Why train a dog and what to use in the process
- Подготовка к дрессуре 2. Preparation for training
- Необходимые команды 3. Required commands
- Основные правила дрессировки 4. Basic rules of training
Why train a dog and what to use in the process
Training a dog at home has three important goals:
- The pet must recognize the leader in the host, which means that it will also know its own status.
- The person knows the pet well, and in the most critical situations he knows what to expect from him and how to behave.
- A trained dog is a socially adapted pet that can get along well not only with people, but also with other animals.
Before training, the owner must clearly state for himself what he wants to receive as a result of the training. Use as a motivational subject can be restraining means or reward. Maximum return can be achieved if the dog gets what they want right away, in the first seconds, after the command is executed. There should be no hitches, which means that everything should be prepared in advance.
Among the methods of containment are the following:
- Use items that can attract the attention of the dog. In most cases, these are things that make harsh sounds - whistles, a bunch of keys, a rattle from a tin can with pebbles, etc.
- In case of failure to perform the dog loses the attention of the owner. It is sent to the place without the usual stroking and praise, in a stern voice.
Pet containment methods can be used for older puppies older than 4 months. If the dog is unbalanced, then this method should also not be used.
It is noted that ignoring a pet is a more effective technique than physical impact - often the dog perceives slaps as game elements.
Training is a rather laborious task, and when you are tired of the process, you can motivate yourself by teaching the dog to behave in an appropriate way much easier than to correct inappropriate behavior.
See also : how to teach a puppy to go to the toilet .
Preparation for training
If we talk about where to start, the answer is obvious - with yourself. The pet owner must understand that training is not a leisure activity, caused by every minute desire, but painstaking, everyday work. Therefore, you need to clearly plan the schedule, taking time to practice. No business should be assigned to this time, and nothing should distract from the process.
For the first lesson you need to prepare a collar, leash and pet favorite treat. As the latter, you should not choose products from your own table. For these purposes, suitable dry food . For especially fastidious dogs, you can buy special snacks at the pet store, which are intended for dog training.
It is better to start training in a place familiar to the pet, so that no foreign objects can distract him. If the area is unexplored for a puppy, then you need to give some time to develop the territory.
One more condition must be observed - during the lessons there should be no strangers nearby, this will significantly complicate the task and constantly distract the puppy.
Among the main teams that are the basis of all further skills, the following can be identified:
- Schooling to nickname. A pet should not only know its own name, but also be able to instantly respond to it. This is a pledge of excellent obedience, both at home and on the run. To achieve success, you need to often pronounce the nickname, putting into the voice, as much as possible positive emotions. As soon as the dog responded to its own name, it automatically deserved encouragement.
- Team "To me!". At the initial stage, you can use this command exclusively for the positive moments - during the invitation of your pet to eat, walk or play. This will allow the dog to perceive it as something good and strengthen the team in consciousness. Already later, during the training, the reaction to the team needs to be corrected. The pet will have to not only come up to the owner, but sit down at his feet. During normal walks, you can simply call a puppy, without any reason, and treat you to a treat. This will not only accelerate training, but also help to distract the dog from eating street waste, because it will be easier for him to give up dubious food in favor of a tasty treat.
- Concentration of attention. Any dog should depend on the owner. If the owner is gone, the pet should go next. This skill is necessary to vaccinate a puppy from the first days. For this you need to use a useful exercise:
- Puppy need to unleash and give some time to play. The owner must retire, at least 10 meters, and stand in a half turn. The dog will definitely notice the absence of the owner and run to look. Having found, the pet will show emotions of joy and will look into the eyes, seeking approval. After two or three seconds after that, you need to praise the puppy and treat him with a treat. After some time, the exercise is repeated, only in this case a little more time should pass between the moment when the dog approached and received praise.
- Later, you can complicate the task - the owner must turn away from the pet when the dog runs up. In this case, the puppy will show patience and will sit faithfully, wait for eye contact to be established, and he will receive the expected approval. After that, the dog must be commended. These exercises will allow the puppy to learn how to carry out the command “come to me!” And at the same time focus its attention on the host. At this point, the pet does not pay attention to strangers, but is awaiting a reaction from the owner.
- Teaching pet to the place. If we are talking about an adult dog, then there is practically no chance of training for the place. With regards to puppies, they are quite trainable. No need to encourage free movement of the pet around the apartment. It is necessary to prepare a special place (sunbed, house, pillow, bedding , etc.) and introduce the new family member to him. Small puppies, like any children, tend to fall asleep where they played. Therefore, it is worth every time to carry the sleeping baby into place. It is not necessary to instill negative memories of the place in the pet, so all unpleasant procedures (combing, cleaning the ears , cutting the claws, etc.) should be carried out outside this place. You can provide comfort for a four-legged friend - lay something soft and pleasant, put some favorite toys nearby. The dog must learn that this is the safest and most comfortable place in the whole house.
All this is the basis of the trust relationship between man and dog. But there are still a lot of useful commands that your pet will have to learn:
- “Give!” - will allow to take away from the pet any item picked up on the street or dropped in the house. A trained dog will have to comply, despite the increased interest in the subject.
- “Near!” - a useful team when walking, what with the leash, what without him.
- “Sit!” Is an excellent tool when a rather large pet shows excessive joy.
- “Lie down!” Is similar to the previous team.
- “Ugh!” - one word will save a dog from the risk of poisoning or attack.
- “Stand!” Is another useful team from a number of restrictive ones.
- “Fas!” Is a team that allows you to use an animal as a protector.
- “Aport!” Can be both fun during the game and help in certain situations.
As you can see, there are a lot of teams, and your beloved pet is able to learn them all with the right approach. But in order for the process to proceed without problems, it is also necessary for the owner to follow certain rules.
Having mastered the necessary commands, you can:
Expert opinion on the training of puppies:
The basic rules of training
There are a number of immutable truths that must be taken for granted:
- Primary classes should be short - 10-12 minutes, at least twice a day.
- Any lesson should begin with the consolidation of previously acquired knowledge.
- The dog learns worse material immediately after eating, after sleeping and at a later time of day.
- Physical violence cannot be used as punishment, only voice. Reproachful "Bad", "Ay-ah" will be quite enough.
- The team must speak one, maximum two times, clearly, in a loud voice.
- It is necessary to praise a pet, even if he did something, in the opinion of the owner, insignificant.
And the most important thing is that you need to study every day so that your pet remembers what has been learned and acquired more knowledge and skills. Adhering to certain rules and recommendations of qualified dog handlers, the dog will grow up educated and trained.