As soon as a four-legged pet appears in the house of unknown origin, a lot of questions arise about how he will grow up, who will look like, will become large or small. If we are talking about a thoroughbred puppy, then there are no special difficulties about the future of the exteriors - you can look at his parents or other representatives of the breed. But for any dog there are certain rules and canons of growth in different age periods. And so, to what age do dogs grow?
- Рост собак различных пород 1. Growth of dogs of different breeds
- Этапы развития и роста собаки 2. Stages of development and growth of the dog
- Период от рождения до 6 месяцев 3. Period from birth to 6 months
- Рост щенков старше 6 месяцев 4. Growth of puppies older than 6 months
- Правильное кормление щенка 5. Proper feeding of the puppy
Growth of dogs of different breeds
In most cases, puppies grow intensively to 6 months, in the case of representatives of small breeds, growth slows down earlier than in larger ones.
Puppies of large breeds grow and form after half a year, although not so fast. Consider the growth of some rocks:
- Pekingese - these small dogs grow on average up to 9 months, males often up to a year.
- Yorkshire Terriers - their growth lasts up to 7-8 months.
- Chihuahua - very small and fragile puppies grow up to 8 months, and after a year they are much stronger.
- Dachshund - the growth of puppies stops by 8 months, after that they continue to grow, but only in width.
- Pug - the growth of these puppies varies - it can stop and in six months or last up to 9 months, while they are gaining weight intensively.
- Rottweilers are a powerful and large breed, puppies grow up to 12 months, the development of the muscular corset occurs before the 2-year age.
- German Shepherd - active growth is observed up to a year, and the whole dog is formed by two years.
But it is worth considering that the above data is only averaged figures, because besides the ratio to the breed, there is also a mass of no less important factors affecting the growth and development of the dog:
- correct, balanced nutrition;
- absence or presence of training ;
- conditions of keeping a pet;
- hereditary disposition to diseases.
It will be useful to read:
Stages of development and growth of a dog
A healthy, normally developed puppy should grow in accordance with a certain pattern. In such a concept as growth, several stages are included:
- changes in the weight of the puppy;
- body height;
- external changes (exterior);
- physiological features.
The concepts of growth and development have different meanings, but if the pet is healthy, then they occur in a timely manner. There are several stages of growth and development of puppies:
- The first stage is considered to be the period when the puppy is still in the womb of the mother. This period is very important, because it is there that the main qualities of the future dog are laid. And here it is worth more carefully choose the future family member, based on data on his parents, the reputation of breeders.
- The second stage is the time when the baby is breastfed, the so-called suckling period, lasting from birth to six months. At this time, for the well-being and growth of kids the breeder is responsible, and he is responsible for the small pets. If the puppy is strong and future owners have the experience of feeding monthly puppies, then you can wean him from the mother a little earlier in order to be completely sure of his correct feeding and further growth.
- The third stage is longer, lasts from 1.5 to 6 months. Most often in this time interval puppies are found in new owners. At this time the puppy grows very intensively, it changes the milk teeth. Here, for all the processes, only the owner is responsible.
- The fourth stage - from 16 to 12 months, is quite diverse and proceeds depending on the breed of the puppy. It can be accompanied by active growth, its slowdown or a complete stop.
- The fifth stage is not the growth of the puppy, but the formation of an adult, although young, dog. Its duration is on average 2-2,5 years. Stopping in growth, the animal continues to gain muscle mass.
It is important to have an idea of what measurement data corresponds to the norm in a particular period. Of course, there are no exact figures, but there is a definite tendency.
Period from birth to 6 months
From birth to six months, a healthy active puppy should increase in weight three times, and grow at the withers - in two. At this time, dogs grow only in height.
This stage is characterized by an end to the growth of the tubal bones. Therefore, it is very important that at this time everything is formed according to the norm. Incorrect, unbalanced nutrition, serious diseases that have been transferred can adversely affect the development of the bone skeleton, as a result, deformations and obvious violations will appear, which will no longer be remedied.
In this case, the adult will have the wrong proportions of the body, which will put an end to the exhibitions and participation in competitions.
Growth of puppies older than 6 months
In puppies from the age of six months, the growth of flat bones occurs, that is, the thoracic bone actively develops, the animals grow, but already wide. These processes intensively last about 6 months, and after a year the growth continues, but at a slower rate.
The bone skeleton of the dog is fully formed by three years. Small breeds finish developing much earlier than large ones.
The growth of the pet is affected by the first mating, after it the growth of the animal completely stops. This is one of the reasons to avoid early mating , so as not to disrupt the development and growth of the dog.
To fix metric data it is necessary to measure the dog at certain periods and record all the data. Weighing a puppy can use a household scale, but if the pet is a large breed - St. Bernard , Caucasian Shepherds , then you will need a large trading balance.
In addition, the following parameters are measured:
- girth of the sternum;
- height (height at withers);
- length of hind legs and forelegs.
For their removal, centimeter tapes, roulettes and rulers are used.
Until the age of six months it is recommended to measure the pet every 10 days, at a later age it will be enough once a month.
Proper Puppy Feeding
A great value on the growth and development of the dog has its food. Ideally, a nutritionist, including the number of feedings, the composition of the diet, coming from individual and pedigree characteristics, should be developed by a cynologist.
On average, the puppy should eat at least 5-6 times a day for up to 3 months. The grown-up pet is gradually transferred to four meals a day. From 6 months the number of feedings can be reduced to two, as for an adult dog.
Do not forget that with half a year the pet has an intensive set of muscle mass, so the diet must be enriched with proteins, vitamins and trace elements .
Dog owners have a choice - to feed the pet with natural products or ready-made food - dry or wet. Sometimes there is a successful combination of these two types.
If the owner of the puppy chooses feeding with a dry or wet type of food, then he must choose a good super-premium food . In such products contain all the important micro- and macro elements, vitamins, enough protein, fat carbohydrates. The balance of the finished feed affects the normal development of the puppy. In addition, most manufacturers, producing similar products, take into account age characteristics and other nuances.
Those owners who preferred a natural diet should follow the following recommendations:
- To exclude from food too sharp, fatty, smoked, salty food.
- It is best to buy fish from the sea, pre-brewing it. In its raw form, fish and meat can lead to infection with helminthic invasions.
- Bones are poorly digested, so they are not desirable to give a nuisance to the pet.
- Sweets and chocolate lead to diabetes , violations in the activity of the cardiovascular system, loss of vision and teeth, so their use is excluded.
- You can give low-fat cheese, cottage cheese, boiled meat, raisins, dried fruits, etc.
- Food should be at room temperature in order not to disturb the digestion process.
Proper feeding , caring care and attentive attitude to the pet will help him to grow and develop normally.