The dog is the man's best friend, and this is by no means an empty word, for a more faithful and trusting being can hardly be found. For the owner, the most is his pet, and it does not matter whether he is thoroughbred or mongrel, fluffy or without wool. But there was always a fashion for different breeds, and today among the long-haired dogs there are also the most popular representatives.
Long-haired breeds of large sizes
Among the animals that, in addition to the long wool, are of impressive size, the following breeds are most often encountered:
- Newfoundland . Once they were assistants to fishermen on the island of the same name and impressed with amazing working qualities and skills to stay on the water, to dive. No, the modern representatives of the breed have not lost their abilities, but their poise and calm disposition allowed them to become excellent companions for humans and family dogs. Newfoundlands are devoted and very strong pets, loving children and their family.
- South Russian Shepherd. Huge dogs, similar not white, less often - grayish snowdrift, have a large black nose. They resemble bolnok, but much larger. The breed was taken out to graze livestock, however, modern handsome people are practically not used for this work, as their fur coat requires special care. Dogs have an innate anger, stamina and unpretentiousness - that is why they are successfully used in various climatic zones as guard animals.
- Tibetan Mastiff . These dogs belong to the most ancient breed and are the progenitors of almost all Molossian dogs. Mastiffs from Tibet are ferocious, large and mighty, ideally suited for the protection of the territory. With proper upbringing, Tibetans can be kept in families with children, they are faithful and balanced. But if the pet does not feel the master's strong hand, he can be excessively self-willed. These dogs are active guards, so it is not worthwhile to start them exclusively for the company, the dog will show its qualities in any case. Another nuance - the representatives of this breed are the most expensive dogs and not everyone can afford it.
- St. Bernard . Another long-haired large breed, whose representatives are lifeguards. Once they were brought out for protection and draft work, but when avalanches began to descend frequently in the mountains, the dogs proved their unique abilities to find people under the rubble. In addition, their balanced temperament, self-confidence and peace of mind allows the use of St. Bernards as family dogs. They are not very active out of work, but always on the alert and can come to any assistance at any time. For children this is a real treasure - caring pets will carry sledges, roll on their backs and endure all the tricks of their little wards.
- The Afghan Greyhound . Unlike previous breeds, Afghans have a decent growth, but very elegant, sophisticated appearance. Their bright appearance does not allow the Afghan greyhound to go unnoticed. And, in addition, the history of the breed totals more than 4 thousand years. Dogs of this breed are hunters, but they were once used for grazing and guard. Like all hunting breeds, they have a number of behavioral characteristics, they are not too amenable to training, very much like the attention of owners. But thanks to the appearance they are suitable for a show career, and to show off Afghan hounds also adore. Learn more greyhounds .
- The Bobtail. This breed is also called the Old English Sheepdog, since they were used as shepherds. Its representatives have well-recognized appearance and large dimensions. Dogs are able to make their own decisions, are not too capricious and very balanced. With the right approach to education and training from Bobtails, excellent nannies are obtained. One small nuance is that they are not very quiet and quite loud, and even menacingly, they give a voice, but usually there is an excuse for this.
It will be interesting: which dog is better to have in the apartment .
Long-haired breeds of medium size
And in this category there are worthy representatives who have a smart, luxurious coat:
- Collie. Appearance of Scottish sheep dogs captivates - they have luxurious wool, a narrow long muzzle and small eye-beads. Initially, they were used as shepherd dogs, but very easily re-qualified as smart and obedient companions. In addition, with special training from the collie are obtained excellent guide dogs for blind people. They very subtly catch the mood and can perfectly imitate.
- Chow-chow . Exotic breed from China, which has a unique appearance and is very similar to a lion. The breed was ancient and once its representatives contained on the territory of monasteries and temples, palace complexes and took to hunt large animals. But today dogs are most often involved as companions. However, this does not mean that the Chow Chow has lost its working abilities. They are quite good-natured, but if the household is in danger, they can give a worthy rebuff. An amazing feature of chow-chow is their talk, dogs can rumble, growl, growl and quietly whimper, depending on the situation.
- Cocker Spaniel . American and English - they enjoy unprecedented popularity, which, in fact, is not surprising. In general, these are two varieties of the same breed, which are shared by various standard features of the exterior exterior. Americans more have a more presentable look, suitable for exhibitions. Like all spaniels, the cockers are hunters, but they are no less good as a family dog. Cheerful, active, good-natured - these animals are energy clots, and besides that, they are incredibly cute. If the family has children, it will be a constant, stormy and irrepressible fun - it's worth forgetting about silence for a long time.
- Long-haired dachshund. It is not as common as its short-haired brethren, but it has a more extravagant appearance. Owners are sure - they have the most beautiful rates. There are several types of dogs with long hair:
- standard - it is assumed that in addition to their smooth-haired representatives, the spaniels
- dwarf - a rarer species, their appearance is associated with the knitting of the smallest longhaired dachshund type of the standard;
- rabbit - is even more rare - the result of crossing dachshunds, toy terriers and pinschers.
Since we are talking about the most popular breeds, it is possible to classify them as the first variety. These are normal dogs that perfectly live as pets. They are devotees, but they will not tolerate neglect. And, in addition, they dislike cats and it's better if pets grow together.
Also see the list of short-haired breeds of dogs .
Small long-haired dogs
Usually these are fluffy, pretty creatures, past which it is difficult to pass, so representatives of these breeds are often planted in order to groom and cherish:
- Yorkshire Terrier . These crumbs often live in the houses of celebrities and accompany them to social events, but in ordinary families you can meet such amusing mils. They do not require much space, they find a common language with other pets, adore their masters and are very attached to the family. Once the breed was bred for special needs - dogs were excellent for catching rats, today they are purely decorative pets, whose main duty is to please their family members. The breed is widespread all over the world, and all thanks to a cheerful disposition, the ability to be a real friend and a wonderfully glorious appearance.
- Maltese lap-dog . It is also called Maltese bishon or maltese. The breed was bred so long ago that today experts are not sure that the birthplace of dogs is Malta. At that time they were excellent rat-catchers and also exterminated cats. Modern maltese have acquired a more beautiful appearance and, of course, are no longer hunters for rodents. Today, these are excellent, affectionate domestic dogs and welcome guests at any shows, and they really have something to brag about.
- Shih Tzu. Amazing Tibetan breed, its representatives have wool, resembling a flower of chrysanthemum. Once upon a time they lived exclusively in palaces, and so far they have retained some aristocracy in appearance. Despite the need for special care woolly covering, the breed is very popular. These dogs are hypoallergenic, suitable for families with children, exceptionally affectionate and tame. In addition, they do not like conflicts, so they easily get on with other domestic pets.
- Pomeranian Pomeranian . Despite the fact that there are many breeds of Spitz, it is the oranges that are found most often. Perhaps, this is due to the fact that today the small breeds are fashionable. These dogs are very modest in size, but do not consider themselves to be kids, demanding to treat themselves with all respect. They are very attached to the owners, especially children, like attention to their own person. In general, this is a 100% decorative breed.
- Pekingese . In this list, they can be safely put on the first place, since the leading positions in the prevalence of representatives of this breed have been held for quite some time. Pekingese - representatives of the ancient Chinese breed for too long were exclusively imperial dogs, and this, naturally, influenced a certain way on their character. So far, various myths and legends are hovering around the breed, which further stimulates interest in these dogs. The main drawback faced by the owners is the reckless courage of the Pekingese, who are able to get into a fight with a stronger opponent. They are not recommended for families with young children, since they can be strict.
This is only a small part of the breeds with long fur, and in fact, there are many more dogs - beautiful and amazing. Representatives of long-haired breeds are charming pets, requiring a little more care than dogs with short hair, but with a more effective appearance. And only the owners decide what is closer to them - painstaking care or saving time. But it is worth remembering that any dog needs a kindness, love and patience, and it does not matter what size, gender and coat it is.