Dachshund is a breed of small hunting dogs, which in strength and endurance are not inferior to their larger brethren. This also applies to the long-haired variety, whose representatives also have an elongated body, short legs, but also a long, silky hair. Like all hunters, the long-haired dachshund is playful, active and has some behavioral and character traits.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Характер представителей породы 2. The nature of the breed
- Описание породы длинношерстная такса 3. Description of the breed long-haired dachshund
- Уход за длинношерстными таксами 4. Care for long-haired dachshunds
- Воспитание и обучение такс 5. Education and training of taxes
- Содержание длинношерстной таксы 6. Content of long-haired dachshund
- Кормление длинношерстной таксы 7. Feeding long-haired dachshund
- Болезни породы 8. Diseases of the breed
- Фото длинношерстной таксы 9. Photos of the long-haired dachshund
- Видео о длинношерстной таксе 10. Video about the long-haired dachshund
- Где лучше покупать щенка длинношерстной таксы и сколько он стоит 11. Where is it better to buy a long-haired dachshund puppy and how much it costs
Taxi is considered the oldest hunting breed, and researchers still do not know for sure when it appeared. As for the official recognition of this breed, its formation began in the 16th century in the South German lands. Primary data on these burrow hunters date back to the late 16th century.
The ancestors of these dogs were marriages - hardy, squat hounds, from which the dachshunds received, among other things, the ability to stalk game and give voice signals. Short paws didn’t help much in the hunt's hunt, but for penetration into the burrows turned out to be the most suitable.
Subsequently, due to breeding activities, several pedigree species were bred. The long-haired dachshund was obtained by crossing smooth-haired representatives of the breed and spaniels.
The nature of the breed
The nature of long-haired dogs and their short-haired close relatives is not too different. Such a pet is very curious - no event will pass by its long nose. Doggie is happy to be with his owner 24 hours a day and is very upset if he is left alone at home.
The dachshund puppy quite quickly finds a common language with all members of the family, but only one of them he will consider to be the master and faithfully obey him. With other pets - dogs or cats, the long-haired dachshund almost always establishes friendly relations, but this does not apply to other animals - their dog can be considered as an object of hunting. If you keep such a hunter in a private house, then small animal pests will forget the way here.
It is not recommended to start a dachshund, including those with long hair, in a family with small children. These animals do not differ in patience and, if even inadvertently hurt them, can not just snap back, but bite. But still long-haired dachshunds have a reduced desire for hunting, they are calmer and more balanced, therefore they are recommended to be started as pets.
Dachshunds are small dogs, but very brave, they are able to get involved in fights with their relatives, regardless of the size of the enemy. This should be taken into account during paddocks. Dachshunds belong to territorial animals, they will protect their site with all the ferocity they have. Not without reason, these cute-looking creatures are headed by the rating of the most biting dogs. But for their pet will be faithful and loyal friend and even a family member.
Description of the breed long-haired dachshund
There are three types of long-haired dachshunds - standard, dwarf and rabbit. All of them vary in size, and measure them not by weight, but by the girth of the sternum. Standard dogs are larger than others, and rabbit dogs are the smallest. In addition to differences in size, the standard describes the breed as follows:
- The head is wedge-shaped, without cusps, with a well-developed occiput, slightly pronounced supraorbital arches and a transition from the forehead to the muzzle.
- The nose is narrowed to the lobe, the cheekbones have well-developed muscles. Nose is oval, pigmented with black or brown color.
- Lips not saggy, dry, with powerful, strong teeth, tightly closed.
- The eyes are small, expressive, oval-shaped, moderately deep. The iris is usually brown, but for dogs with blue merle hair it can be amber or blue.
- The auricles are elongated, in the shape of a triangle, with rounded tips.
- Dachshunds are strong dogs with developed muscles and an elongated body. The neck has a pronounced scruff, high posture, withers well manifested.
- The chest is oval in shape, of medium width, with a well-developed front part, falling below the elbows. The lumbar part is elongated, with a strong, sloping croup. The line of the abdomen is well-trimmed.
- Paws of dachshunds are short, strong, equipped with flexible, large joints. Due to the position of the carpal joints under the body, it seems that the limbs of the dog are somewhat twisted. The hind legs are wider than the front, but not pulled back. Paws end in strong hands, they are tightly assembled, have long claws and dark pads.
- The tail hangs evenly or has the shape of a sickle, set slightly below the vertebral line. When the dog is excited, he rises. It never lies on the back of an animal and is not placed vertically.
Coloring dachshunds with long hair
Representatives of this type of dachshund have double-layered coat - smooth and shiny on top, and short, fluffy on the bottom. Practically on the whole body, the wool fits tightly to the body, in the area of the throat and lower part of the body it is elongated. There is a fringe at the edges of the auricles, and towing on the back of the limbs. Because of the long hair, the dachshund's tail resembles a flag.
There are several colors of dachshunds with long hair, the most common are the following:
- The coat is the same color - red, reddish yellow, fawn. A mixture of black wool is possible, but dogs with a pure color are valued more.
- Two-tone - dark, black or brown. Each of the colors has burns - reddish-brown or fawn hue.
- With wool of marble or brindle color - for marble dogs the main one is black, red or gray wool. It is desirable to have gray or beige spots, but small.
- In tiger dachshunds, the wool is red or fawn with dark tigers.
Care for long-haired dachshunds
Naturally, the long hair of these dogs needs more thorough care than the short-haired fellows. It is necessary for owners to brush it regularly, and also the periodic hairstyle, including hygienic - a vystriganiye sites between fingers, in an auricle, in a groin will be required.
If the pet is not a working dog, then it is necessary, if necessary, to cut his claws. These little hunters are prone to gaining extra weight, so they need regular active walking. They need to constantly play, run, do not give bored.
The long-haired dachshund, like other dogs, requires compulsory vaccination, de-worming, treatment for fleas and other external parasites.
Education and training of taxes
Before you start learning, you must accustom your pet to a nickname and earn his trust. Dachshunds tend to be stubborn, so the owner must become a real leader for them. For the process of training to be fruitful, you need to be persistent, consistent and not stop in the middle of the road.
As soon as the baby is in the new house, you must show him his place. You can not let him sleep to himself, even if he makes sad eyes and whines piteously. Dachshunds are great actors and are able to "put pressure on pity," if at least once such a number passes, then the dog will subsequently manipulate its owners.
It is best to teach the child to the toilet immediately on the street, and if this is not possible, then you can lay a diaper. But in this case, weaning from the diaper can be quite a difficult process. During training it is worth remembering that dachshunds are prone to obesity, therefore, when encouraging a dog, you should use treats less often - 1 treat for 2-3 teams.
In other cases, you can be content with praise, affection, joint games. Dachshunds are very sensitive to intonation, so even a single laudatory word can improve a pet's mood and increase its efficiency.
Long-haired dachshund content
Dachshunds, including long-haired - the most compact hunting dogs. Compared with other similar dogs, they are not inclined to destroy everything that surrounds them. Therefore, it is possible to keep such a pet in the conditions of a small living space. But the dog will feel best in a country house, though his love of digging can seriously harm the lawn.
Another caveat is that the dachshunds are hunters on burrowing animals, so it will not be difficult for them to make a dig under the fence, if something outside them arouses their interest. You should not take a dachshund to a house where there is already a pet - a cat or another small animal, especially if the dog does not participate in the hunt and pritravka. Otherwise, the dog will direct its hunting instinct to the animals living nearby.
Equipping a place for the future pet, it should be borne in mind that dachshunds love to wrap themselves in blankets and bedspreads. Therefore, in addition to the bedding, he needs to select his own bract, but such that the fabric has a dense structure and does not have a fringe, otherwise the dog will cling to claws. Dachshunds have a weakness for the master bed, therefore, if the owner is categorically against such a neighborhood, it is necessary to immediately stop all encroachments.
Feeding long-haired dachshund
Dachshunds have a good appetite, but the owner should take into account their peculiarity - the pet should receive food in small portions. You can independently calculate the size of the portion, based on the body weight of the dog - 45 grams per 1 kilogram of weight.
Often, dogs of this breed have digestive problems, so it is better to take care of the feeding regime from the first days. Dachshunds are, in fact, hunters, so most of the diet should consist of protein foods, with the obligatory presence of fat.
Owners must follow a number of rules, especially if they choose full feeding:
- in the diet you can include porridge, boiled in water, vegetable or meat broth; but taxa shows only two cereals - rice and buckwheat;
- Whole milk is given only to puppies up to 3.5 months, after giving better milk products - ryazhenka, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc .;
- it is not recommended to feed the dachshund with raw meat and boiled bones;
- Among the prohibited foods are flour and confectionery, spices, smoked meats, food with spices and marinades.
Dachshund owners have a choice - to feed the pet with natural food or industrial feed. But it should be borne in mind that you need to choose a high-quality product - premium, super-premium or holistic class. The latter is preferable if the dog is suffering from digestive disorders or food allergies.
Dachshunds have an original body structure, which gives them advantages during the hunt, but can cause a number of diseases. In addition, there are a number of ailments that can be inherited. Future owners should be more attentive to their pet, identifying the disease as soon as possible:
- acanthosis nigricas - a disease that is associated with disruption of the sebaceous glands; accompanied by compaction of the skin and their hyperpigmentation;
- swimmer syndrome - an illness that occurs due to osteoporosis; it is revealed even at puppy age - puppies are not able to climb their paws and crawl;
- discopathy - damage to the spinal discs, can be deformity, displacement or damage;
- epilepsy of idiopathic (unexplained) genesis - this condition manifests itself in the form of a number of symptoms - impaired coordination, vomiting, involuntary urination, muscle tremor;
- eye pathologies - atrophic changes of the optic nerve, retina, etc.
- enteritis is an inflammation of the intestinal walls caused by an infection or an unbalanced diet.
- alopecia - due to the weakening of the pigment, the dog may begin to go bald.
Dachshunds without timely vaccination can cause serious diseases - plague, rabies, piroplasmosis, etc. But, if you carefully monitor the pet and take care of it properly, you can avoid a number of pathologies.
Photo of long-haired dachshund
Video about the long-haired dachshund
Where better to buy a long-haired dachshund puppy and how much it costs
Despite the fact that the long-haired representatives of the breed are much rarer smooth-haired, interest in them, recently only increases. You can buy such a baby both in the poultry market and in the nursery or from a private breeder, of course, in the first case, the guarantee of getting a purebred baby is much lower.
In addition, not all cities have nurseries that breed these original dachshunds, so you may have to go for your pet. The price of a puppy without pedigree starts from 5,000 rubles. But a pet with documents is much more expensive - from 20,000 rubles.
The most expensive are long-haired rabbit dachshunds - they are considered to be a more rare species, and the litter of these babies usually consists of 2-3 babies. Here it is necessary, on average, to pay 50,000 rubles.
The most famous kennels of long-haired dachshunds with an excellent reputation:
Long-haired dachshund - a small dog with hunting habits, which also perfectly performs the role of a family pet. This is an active, cheerful pet, requiring attention and affection, not without its own dignity, and therefore, it is necessary to treat the doggie with respect.