Cystitis is a serious disease in animals. In this case, the lesion affects not only the bladder and urethra, but also the kidneys. If you notice the symptoms of this disease in time and consult a doctor, you can avoid the sad consequences. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Consider why cystitis occurs in dogs, how it manifests itself and what needs to be done to treat and prevent this disease.
- Причины возникновения патологии 1. The causes of pathology
- На что надо обратить внимание 2. What you need to pay attention to
- Признаки и симптомы цистита у собак 3. Signs and symptoms of cystitis in dogs
- Чем опасен цистит 4. What is dangerous cystitis
- Лечение цистита у собаки 5. Treatment of cystitis in a dog
- Рассказ о цистите на видео 6. The story of cystitis in the video
- Профилактика цистита 7. Prevention of cystitis
Causes of pathology
In most cases, such a disease develops due to the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. In the urinary, they enter the descending or ascending path. The descending path is infection through the lymph or blood flow from other organs. The ascending path involves the entry of bacteria through the urethra.
Bacteria are always present in the urethra. But under normal conditions, they are washed out when urinating. However, if the dog for a long time suffers urges or suffers from hypothermia, stress, then microorganisms begin to multiply more actively in the urethra, which subsequently enter the bladder.
Cystitis most often occurs in females. The reason for this phenomenon is that their urethra is shorter than that of males. In addition, the urethral opening is located near the anus, from which bacteria can also enter.
Not the last role in the development of cystitis is Escherichia coli, staphylococcal or streptococcal infection. Less commonly, bladder inflammation develops due to nephritis, parasitic infestation, and the use of certain medications. Cystitis is the main symptom of urolithiasis in dogs .
As a predisposing factor, the following can be called:
- impaired bowel function ( constipation or diarrhea );
- violation of the function of emptying the bladder;
- circulatory pathology of this organ;
- weakened immunity;
- pregnancy and delivery.
What to look for
If the female is ill with cystitis, this disease should not be ignored. Often it may be that inflammation of the bladder is a sign of pathological changes in the genital tract. Sometimes cystitis may indicate the presence of cysts in the genitals of a bitch.
In dogs, cystitis can indicate the presence of inflammation of the prostate - both acute and chronic. Quite often, cystitis in males occurs as a symptom of a stone in the bladder, urethra. Unfortunately, inflammation of the bladder is also possible against the background of oncological processes of the kidneys and bladder.
Sometimes cystitis can develop along with urethritis. Urocystitis occurs - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the urethra and bladder. Protein, pus, hemoglobin, and epithelial particles may appear in the urine.
Please note that cystitis mainly affects small dogs, such as dachshunds or cocker spaniels . Do not allow a dog to be cold, especially in the winter, arranging for her long walks. If young pets become ill with bladder inflammation, then one needs to pay attention to the state of its urethra: often this is due to congenital malformations of the organ.
Signs and symptoms of cystitis in dogs
A healthy dog always has a good appetite. And bad weather is not an obstacle. But if the pet got cystitis, then his appetite decreases sharply. On palpation of the urea, the animal is restless, as it feels pain. It is characteristic that urine is excreted, as a rule, in a small amount. The pet begins to leave puddles on the floor or to dirty furniture.
The urine of such a dog starts to smell unpleasant, it contains mucus, sometimes pus and even blood clots. Often there is an increase in temperature indicators, thirst. General condition - oppressed. The dog runs away when trying to feel the stomach, sometimes even growls. When analyzing in the urine, white blood cells are detected.
The chronic form of cystitis is not characterized by such striking symptoms. However, the dog's behavior changes; it often urinates on the floor or carpet. Behavior changes on a walk: the female often sits down, and the male lifts his paw. Near the opening of the urethra, and in dogs at the end of the penis, you can see blood droplets. Blood traces can also be seen on the litter .
Exacerbation of chronic cystitis has the following symptoms in dogs:
- the dog moves less;
- she has an appetite , but drinks a lot of water;
- urination becomes frequent, the dog often gets dirty;
- the pet's urination position changes;
- in the process of urination, as well as after it, the pet whines ;
- sometimes the animal’s stomach tenses, becomes painful, because of which it does not allow to touch itself;
- the smell and texture of urine changes.
The stronger the inflammation of the bladder, the more often urination becomes, and the pain in the stomach increases. In severe cases, urination can be every half hour, sometimes even more often.
What is dangerous cystitis
This disease threatens the development of pyelonephritis. As a result, dogs' body temperature rises and one-sided kidney pain occurs. Bilateral pyelonephritis is especially dangerous for the life of a pet.
The course of pyelonephritis is also dangerous because in dogs the blood pressure rises significantly. From this, the heart wears out faster, which is dangerous for health.
Because of cystitis, there is a high probability of developing urinary incontinence (enuresis). In addition, in advanced cases, chronic kidney failure occurs. The outcome of such a disease is not favorable and quite serious.
Dog cystitis treatment
It is recommended to start treating cystitis in a dog at home as early as possible. It is important to adhere to the basics of therapy.
Mandatory in this case, antibiotic therapy. Antibiotics help suppress the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. However, only a doctor can choose an antibiotic after studying the sensitivity of the animal's body to the medication. If this is not done, then improper treatment will not only not give a result, but will also cause the resistance of the pathogens to the antibiotic. And this is an additional burden on the dog’s liver and kidneys.
If cystitis is caused by another disease, then the root cause must first be eliminated. Treating bladder inflammation will be ineffective if the dog has caries and worms in the intestines.
In addition, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- painkillers if the dog feels severe pain;
- if blood is detected in the urine, then a hemostatic drug is prescribed;
- antispasmodics (intramuscularly).
In order for the body's defenses to recover faster, it is necessary to give the dog decoctions from natural herbs. To do this, use the grass of a thistle, tatarnik. This food supplement is taken in conjunction with a complex of antibiotics.
It is important that during active treatment the dog rests more. To do this, you do not need to overload it with physical activity, in particular, walks. The pet must follow a diet . The diet should have more cereals, cereals (oatmeal and millet), milk. Very useful meat broth.
To reduce acidity and prevent the formation of kidney stones, a little cranberry juice is added to the diet. Such an additive helps to increase the protective functions of the body as a whole, and also enhances antibacterial protection.
The full course of treatment for cystitis should be at least three months. If the therapeutic period is shortened without the knowledge of the veterinarian, then cystitis can turn into chronic.
The story of cystitis in the video
You can prevent the disease. From the owner of the dog is not required anything complicated, just adhere to certain rules:
- It is necessary to monitor the drinking regimen of the dog. She must constantly have access to clean drinking water. Water should be given from a bottle, filtered. A dog can suffer from urolithiasis from dehydration.
- Walk the dog at least three times a day. If you do not walk her with such frequency, then in the apartment or house there should be a tray.
- Make sure that your pet is not in a draft or near the fan. Tile for him is also dangerous in terms of hypothermia and colds . The same applies to balconies that have uncoated concrete floors.
- It is recommended to monitor the condition of the teeth of the pet. Inflammation of the oral cavity and damaged teeth are a source of bacteria that can penetrate through the blood or lymph into the bladder.
- Do not walk females during estrus where stray dogs gather. When walking, do not let the males lick the female’s noose.
- Males should not be allowed to mate with unverified females.
- If you have a long-haired breed, then you need to cut the hair under the tail. This is done so that the remains of feces do not fall on the genitals, as well as in the mouth during licking.
- To control the general health of the dog, it is necessary to take her to the veterinarian every year. It is mandatory to take a urine test. It is also important to monitor changes in urine values between studies. Your doctor may recommend a blood test.
Remember that cystitis is easiest to prevent and treat at an early stage. On the contrary, the later therapy is started, the less effective it is.