Cystitis refers to serious diseases in animals. In this case, the lesion affects not only the bladder and urethra, but also the kidneys. If you notice symptoms of the disease in time and consult a doctor, you can avoid the sad consequences. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Consider why there is cystitis in dogs, how it manifests itself and what should be done to treat and prevent this disease.
- Причины возникновения патологии 1. Causes of pathology
- На что надо обратить внимание 2. What you need to pay attention to
- Признаки и симптомы цистита у собак 3. Signs and symptoms of cystitis in dogs
- Чем опасен цистит 4. What is dangerous cystitis
- Лечение цистита у собаки 5. Treatment of cystitis in dogs
- Рассказ о цистите на видео 6. Story about cystitis on video
- Профилактика цистита 7. Prevention of cystitis
Causes of pathology
In most cases, such a disease develops due to the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. In the urinary, they fall on a descending or ascending path. The downward path is infection through lymph or blood flow from other organs. The upward path involves getting bacteria through the urethra.
In the urethra, bacteria are always present. But they are washed out under normal conditions when urinating. However, if the dog longs to suffer desires or suffers from hypothermia, stress, then microorganisms begin to multiply more actively in the urethra, which subsequently enter the bladder.
Cystitis often occurs in females. The reason for this phenomenon is that their urethra is shorter than that of males. In addition, the hole of the urethra is located near the anus, from which bacteria can also enter.
Not the least role in the development of cystitis is played by E. coli, staphylococcal or streptococcal infection. Less often, inflammation of the bladder develops due to jade, parasitic infestation, and the intake of certain medications. Cystitis is the main symptom of kidney stone disease in dogs .
As a predisposing factor we can name the following:
- impaired bowel function ( constipation or diarrhea );
- violation of the function of emptying the bladder;
- pathology of the circulatory system of this organ;
- weakened immunity;
- pregnancy and delivery.
What to look for
If the female has cystitis, do not ignore this disease. It can often be that inflammation of the bladder is a sign of pathological changes in the genital tract. Sometimes cystitis may indicate the presence of cysts in the genital organs of a bitch.
In males, cystitis may indicate the presence of inflammation of the prostate, both acute and chronic. Quite often, cystitis in males arises as a symptom of a stone in the bladder, urethra. Unfortunately, the inflammation of the bladder is possible against the backdrop of oncological processes of the kidneys and the bladder.
Sometimes, cystitis can develop with urethritis. There is urocystitis - inflammation of the mucous urethra and bladder. In the urine can appear protein, pus, hemoglobin, particles of the epithelium.
Note that cystitis is mainly affected by small dogs, for example, dachshunds or cocker spaniels . Do not let the dog become hypothermic, especially in the winter, making long walks. If the inflammation of the bladder is caused by young pets, then attention should be paid to the condition of its urethra: it is often promoted by congenital anomalies of organ development.
Signs and symptoms of cystitis in dogs
A healthy dog always has a good appetite. And bad weather is not a barrier. But if a pet gets a cystitis, then his appetite decreases sharply. When palpating a urea, the animal is restless, as it feels pain. It is characteristic that the urine is released, as a rule, in a small amount. The pet begins to leave puddles on the floor or make furniture dirty.
The urine of such a dog begins to smell unpleasantly, it contains mucus, sometimes pus, and even blood clots. Often there is an increase in temperature indicators, thirst. The general condition is oppressed. The dog escapes when trying to feel the stomach, sometimes even growls. At the analysis in urine leucocytes are found out.
The chronic form of cystitis differs not so bright symptoms. However, behavior changes in the dog, it often pisses on the floor or carpet. Behavior changes on a walk: the female often sits down, and the male at the same time lifts up the paw. Near the opening of the urethra, and the males at the end of the penis can see droplets of blood. Blood traces can also be seen on the litter .
Exacerbation of chronic cystitis has such symptoms in dogs:
- the dog moves less;
- she has lost her appetite , but drinks a lot of water;
- urination becomes more frequent, the dog often gets dirty;
- the position of urination changes in the pet;
- in the process of urination, and also after it, the pet whimper ;
- sometimes the stomach strains at the animal, becomes painful, because of what it does not let it touch;
- changes the smell and consistency of urine.
The stronger the inflammation of the bladder, the more frequent urination, and the pain in the abdomen increases. In severe cases, urination can be every half hour, sometimes even more often.
What is dangerous cystitis
This ailment threatens the development of pyelonephritis. As a result, the dog's body temperature increases and there is unilateral pain in the kidneys. Two-sided pyelonephritis is especially dangerous for the life of the pet.
The course of pyelonephritis is also dangerous in that dogs significantly increase blood pressure. This quickly wears out the heart, which is dangerous for health.
Because of cystitis, there is a high probability of urinary incontinence (enuresis). In addition, in advanced cases, chronic kidney failure occurs. The outcome of such a disease is not favorable and serious enough.
Treatment of cystitis in dogs
Begin to treat cystitis in dogs at home is recommended as soon as possible. It is important to adhere to the basics of therapy correctly.
In this case, antibiotic therapy is mandatory. Antibiotics help to suppress the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. However, only a doctor can select an antibiotic after studying the sensitivity of the animal's organism to the medication. If this is not done, the wrong treatment will not only not produce a result, but will also cause resistance of the pathogens to the antibiotic. And this is an additional burden on the liver and kidneys of the dog.
If the cystitis is caused by another disease, then first you need to eliminate the root cause. Treatment of inflammation of the bladder will be ineffective if the dog has caries, and in the intestine - worms .
In addition, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- painkillers if the dog feels severe pain;
- if blood is found in the urine, then a haemostatic drug is prescribed;
- antispasmodics (intramuscularly).
To protect the body's defenses restored faster, it is necessary to give the dog decoctions of natural herbs. To do this, use the herb of a thistle, a tartar. Such an additive to food is taken together with a complex of antibiotics.
It is important that during the period of active treatment the dog rested more. To do this, do not overload her with physical activity, in particular, walking. A pet should follow a diet . In the diet should be more porridge, cereals (oatmeal and millet), milk. Very useful meat broth.
To reduce acidity and prevent the formation of stones in the kidneys, it is shown that a little cranberry juice is added to the ration. Such an additive promotes an increase in the protective functions of the body as a whole, and also enhances antibacterial protection.
The full course of treatment for a dog against cystitis should be at least three months. If the therapeutic period is shortened without the knowledge of the veterinarian, then the cystitis can go to chronic.
A story about cystitis on video
Prevention of cystitis
You can prevent disease. From the owner of the dog does not require anything complicated, just stick to certain rules:
- It is necessary to monitor the drinking regime of the dog. It must constantly have access to clean drinking water. Water should be given from a bottle, filtered. From dehydration the dog can suffer from urolithiasis.
- Walk the dog at least three times a day. If you do not walk it with such frequency, then in the apartment or house should stand a tray.
- Make sure that your pet is not in a draft, but also with a fan. The tile for him is also dangerous in terms of hypothermia and colds . The same applies to balconies, in which the concrete floor is uncoated.
- It is recommended to monitor the condition of your pet's teeth. Inflammation of the oral cavity and spoiled teeth are a source of bacteria that can penetrate through the blood or lymph into the bladder.
- You can not walk the females during the estrus where the stray dogs gather. When walking, one should not allow males to lick the noose of a female.
- One should not allow males to mate with unverified females.
- If you have a pet of longhaired breed, then it is necessary to shear hair under the tail. This is done so that the remains of feces do not fall on the genitals, as well as in the mouth in the process of licking.
- To control the overall health of the dog, it is necessary to take it to the veterinarian every year. Mandatory examination of urine is required. It is also important to monitor changes in urine indicators between studies. The doctor can recommend a blood test.
Remember that cystitis is easiest to prevent and cure at the earliest stage. On the contrary, the later the therapy is started, the less effective it is.