Diarrhea, or in a simple way, diarrhea in a dog - an unpleasant phenomenon, which of course you need to fight. In normal condition, the dog goes to the toilet 2-4 times a day, more often, of course, this happens twice - in the morning and in the evening. But sometimes it happens strange - the dog starts whining, spinning in one place, asking to walk.
In most cases, this behavior is associated with an intestinal disorder, which is accompanied by a loose stool. In what situations can you get rid of the pet from diarrhea at home, and when - only with the help of a veterinarian?
- Причины диареи у собак 1. Causes of diarrhea in dogs
- Симптомы поноса у собак 2. Symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
- Понос с кровью у собаки. 3. Diarrhea with blood in the dog. What to do
- Диагностические меры при диарее 4. Diagnostic measures for diarrhea
- Чем лечить понос у собаки 5. How to treat diarrhea in a dog
- Лечение поноса у собак в домашних условиях 6. Treatment of diarrhea in dogs at home
- Как кормить питомца при диарее 7. How to feed a pet with diarrhea
- Профилактика диареи у собак 8. Preventing diarrhea in dogs
Causes of diarrhea in dogs
Dog owners are interested in how dangerous diarrhea is for a pet? A single answer is not here, it all depends solely on the cause of diarrhea in the dog. The following conditions can provoke a loose stool:
- products of poor quality;
- food unsuitable for feeding the dog, for example, in small dogs pancreatitis often develops, exacerbations of which are observed after taking fatty, spicy food;
- a quick change in the type of food, for example, from natural food to dry food - a similar process requires a rational approach;
- penetration into the intestine of small foreign bodies - this can cause intestinal obstruction;
- parasitizing worms ( worms );
- intoxication with toxic chemicals;
- infectious diseases, for example, parvovirus enteritis;
- Oncological diseases (lymphoma, adenocarcinoma), when tumors are localized in the digestive system, older animals are more likely to suffer;
- systemic diseases - inflammation of the internal organs, diabetes mellitus - again more often observed in old dogs;
- irritable bowel syndrome - this condition occurs in animals with excessive body weight, or after infectious diseases;
- allergy - diarrhea usually occurs when an allergic reaction to food;
- perforation of intestinal walls - often causes sharp bones to feed the dog is not recommended;
- insufficient production of gastric juice - observed in diseases of the stomach - gastritis, gastroduodenitis, etc .;
- deficiency of vitamins .
Apparently, not always diarrhea is harmless and in some cases emergency medical care is required. For example, if a puppy is infected with an infection, then diarrhea can lead to dehydration and death.
Symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
Symptomatic diarrhea depends on what triggered such a reaction, but pet owners should pay attention to the following phenomena:
- the stool became soft or liquid;
- from the feces comes a fetid, rather harsh stench, they have acquired a dark color, a bloody impurity appeared in them;
- liquid chair of black, green, brown;
- a pet during a bowel movement experiences difficulties, starts to whine;
- the dog asks to go out into the street in addition to walking , may not even survive and go to the toilet at home, while the stool can be very small;
- in the liquid feces appear mucus or blood;
- the animal behaves restlessly, does not find a place, it happens with pains in the abdomen;
- the dog is very thin;
- the pet also experiences diarrhea and vomiting;
- in the stomach a loud rumbling can be heard.
Any of the listed signs should attract the attention of the host to the condition of the dog. A particularly dangerous phenomenon is bloody feces, it is worth talking about in more detail.
Diarrhea with blood in the dog. What to do
This phenomenon always signals the presence of a serious ailment or condition, and requires an immediate appeal to the vet. It can be revealed the following:
- Severe poisoning - often happens in undisciplined animals, who are in the habit of picking trash while walking. It is with severe intoxication that you can detect spotting in the stool.
- Parvovirus enteritis - most often affects young animals 2-12 months. An extremely serious illness with a high death rate. In this case, the inflammation affects the entire intestine, the entire mucosal surface of the organ exfoliates.
- Traumatic enterocolitis - occurs due to gnawing sticks, bones, various sharp pieces that can get into the intestines. Indigestion leads to the development of diarrhea, and blood is released due to mechanical damage to the intestinal walls.
- Consequences of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and glucocorticoid preparations. They are often used as an anesthetic, but dogs often show increased sensitivity to human drugs.
- Intestinal ulceration - in this case, there may be more blood in feces than feces themselves, and with time, bleeding is further intensified.
Diagnostic measures for diarrhea
Delivering a pet to the clinic, the owner should be ready to answer a number of questions:
- how long does the dog have diarrhea?
- than fed in the last two or three days;
- if the temperature is present;
- when the last time deworming was performed;
- whether the animal was injected and when.
When diarrhea is usually given a series of tests:
- feces for the detection of worms, internal bleeding;
- general tests of urine and blood.
In some cases, the pet is referred for radiography, the pictures will reveal the presence of intestinal obstruction or inflammation of the abdominal cavity.
How to treat diarrhea in a dog
Experts recommend not to delay with the treatment in the clinic, because you can skip the extremely dangerous symptoms. Only a doctor after the examination can prescribe the appropriate treatment for diarrhea in dogs.
First of all, you need to give the dog:
- Regidron is a drug that restores the acid-base balance. Produced in the form of a powder, which should be diluted with water. To drink a pet, you can add a little sugar to it.
- Glucose solution - put the droppers with glucose with a strong dehydration of the body.
- Antibiotics - are prescribed if the test revealed an infection.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs - are prescribed with bloody diarrhea and at elevated temperature.
- Anthelminthic drugs - are prescribed during diarrhea not only in the presence of worms, but also for preventive purposes.
Any medication should be prescribed only by specialists after the examination, with exact dosing and determination of the duration of therapy. It is not recommended to treat the dog by itself.
Treatment of diarrhea in dogs at home
Is it possible to relieve the condition of the dog at home? Yes, if diarrhea is not associated with critical events, and use exceptionally safe means:
- Broth rice - boil the croup in a small amount of water, remove the porridge, and get the decoction of the decoction of the animal.
- Medicinal herbs - from diarrhea well pomayut decoction of alder fruits, St. John's wort, sage, blueberries.
- Enema with chamomile broth - will help clean the rectum from pathogenic microflora.
- Activated carbon is a natural absorbent that absorbs harmful substances and removes them from the body;
- Provide the pet with drinking - small portions every 15 minutes, it can be pure water, herbs, teas,
How to feed a pet with diarrhea
As a rule, the animal with diarrhea feels weak, malaise, and most often refuses food. This is quite adequate behavior of the sick pet. In this case, the owner must follow certain rules:
- The first day is recommended not to feed the dog at all. If the animal has an appetite, offer a little boiled rice.
- On the second in the diet include kefir, yogurt, yogurt without additives - this will help normalize the digestive process.
- If on the third day the pet is on the mend, you can feed it with lean food - a boiled egg or omelets, pieces of boiled chicken, turkey, rabbit, sea fish, bread crumbs of bread.
Boiled rice can be given from the first day, as well as rice broth.
Prevention of diarrhea in dogs
It is much easier to prevent than cure, therefore, in order to avoid illness, it is recommended that owners follow certain simple rules:
- Do not give the dog food from his table.
- Do not overfeed your pet, its portion should be strictly dosed.
- Timely exercise the pet's treatment of parasites and conduct deworming.
- Ensure that the dog does not pick up food and waste in the street, did not eat from other people's hands.
Of course, it is impossible to foresee everything, but with proper care, the pet has less chance of earning diarrhea. The main thing is to monitor the condition of the dog and take the necessary measures in a timely manner.