The northern breed of husky is different from other dogs. First of all, these are working pets, who are accustomed to travel long distances, sleep in the snow and appreciate will. Naturally, their characteristics affect the diet. What can feed these faithful friends of a person who will never fail, even in the most severe conditions?
How to feed Huskies
There are 3 types of feeding:
- Natural - food prepared by the host of homemade products. This food definitely has advantages: the owner is always aware that his four-legged friend is eating him, he is sure of the quality of the food and that it does not contain harmful impurities. In addition, dogs always benefit from the use of natural ingredients, especially proteins and fiber. But there are also drawbacks: the owner will spend a lot of time on cooking, it is unlikely that he will be able to perfectly balance the diet. The pet will need additional sources of vitamins and trace elements.
- Production feed: dry and canned rations. If the owner gives preference to this option, then feeding the pet will take less time, and the dog will get everything he needs. However, this applies only to high-quality food containing enough animal protein, because Husky is a real meat eater. The disadvantages include the high cost of good rations, manufacturers often "cunning" and do not agree on the exact composition of their product. Also, when feeding "drying" talk about the variety of food is not necessary. Of course, physiologically dogs do not need frequent changes of dishes, but they may not like the monotony.
- Combined food. There are still heated debates on this score - can you feed the dog with both dry food and natural food? For adult Husky dogs, it is permissible, but this food is not recommended for puppies.
How to feed a puppy husky
When purchasing a puppy of any breed, owners should know how to feed a new member of the family. If there is no experience, it is better to consult with the breeder or veterinarian. But there are general recommendations. For example, when feeding with dry food you should pay attention to the following aspects:
- It is better to purchase premium, super-premium or holistic class feed.
- In a good feed in the first place should be the meat part - meat meal or meat.
- What should not be in food: artificial colors, preservatives, flavors, soybeans and corn.
- Puppies should be given only puppy food (up to 8-10 months, and it is important to promptly transfer the pet to the diet for adult dogs, otherwise there is a risk of developing joint dysplasia).
- It would be nice at first to give food of the same brand as he ate at the breeder.
With natural feeding the baby should be fed with milk porridge, cottage cheese, diluted in milk, boiled cereal with meat, thick cereal and vegetable soups. You can add chopped boiled egg, finely chopped greens, some vegetable oil to food. Vegetables must be present in the diet - they can be cooked and added to dishes or give raw.
Grown up crumbs can be given a fish, but only sea, cooked and stoned. Whatever type of feeding the host chooses, he should take care that the baby always has access to fresh drinking water.
How to feed an adult husky
Vegetarians of this breed can not be called: 70% of the diet of an adult dog - it's meat and offal. In addition, unlike most dogs, husky can eat any meat, even fatty varieties, while the load on the liver will not. In general, all northern breeds need food that contains more fat.
In the menu you can include sea fish - raw or boiled, vegetables - better raw, cereals and by-products. They give porridges for dogs, but in small quantities, rice, buckwheat, and millet are best. And it is better not to boil the cereal, and pour boiling water and give it in steamed form. Dairy products can also be included in the diet.
What can not be fed husky
To keep your pet healthy and in good shape, you should make sure that it does not eat the following food:
- salty and flavored food;
- raw pork;
- smoked meat and pickles;
It will not benefit dishes with various artificial additives.
It will be useful:
How many times a day to feed husky
Like other dog babies, husky puppies are fed 6 times a day up to 2 months of age. Then you need to cancel one feeding and look at the reaction of the puppy - if his changes do not bother, then 5 times the pet is fed up to 4 months.
From 4 months to six months, the dog eats 4 times, and after - up to 8-10 months - 3 times. Already by 10 months the grown-up baby is ready to eat only 2 times a day - in the morning and evening. With one and a half years, a pet can be fed only once, but most owners still stop at a 2-time option.
It is important to adhere to the feeding schedule, not to give the pet food from your table, otherwise it will later “help itself” on its own or sit with begging eyes.
Huskies are “snowy” dogs, beautiful, proud and freedom-loving. So that they retain their activity, outer gloss and luxurious fur coat, you need to make sure that pets eat. It is necessary to adhere to the chosen type of feeding and try to give only what will benefit the four-legged friend. Proper nutrition - the key to a happy and long life of a dog.