The dachshund is a small, intelligent hunting doggie, which today is more of a companion pet than a hunter. Of course, animals have come to terms with this function and cope with it perfectly. However, the call of the blood has not gone away, and in the soul these cute creatures are still hunters. Therefore, in all areas, including in the diet, it is worth considering this feature. What to feed the tax, so that the food would benefit and satisfy all the needs of the body?
- Корм или натуральная пища 1. Food or natural food
- Круг запрещенных продуктов 2. Circle of prohibited products
- Важные и необходимые продукты в рационе питомца 3. Important and necessary products in the pet's diet
- Основные правила кормления таксы 4. Basic rules for feeding dachshunds
- Особенности кормления такс 5. Features of feeding dachshunds
- Чем кормить щенка таксы 6. How to feed a dachshund puppy
Feed or natural food
Most dog owners, not only dachshunds, face a dilemma - which is better? There is no single and correct answer. The tax can be fed with special feeds, focusing on their size and age. In addition, proven brands trusted by renowned breeders have already been tested for balance and suitability. In this case, the food becomes convenient for the owners - no need to take into account the balance of the elements, calculate the size of the portions, and the time for cooking is not wasted at all.
If the owners of the dachshund tend to another option, then “natural” food for dachshunds is also not contraindicated. The main thing that the food was healthy and nutritious. In this regard, the dachshunds are quite picky, and the usual porridge with meat, with the addition of vegetables and greens, may well be a good diet.
It is desirable that the owners of the dog decide on the type of feeding before the pet crosses the threshold of the house. In this matter, you can focus on what kind of food the breeder fed the tax. It is advisable to adhere to this kind of food at first, this will help avoid unnecessary stress for the baby and possible allergic reactions . If it was a ready-made feed, then you should ask about its brand and purchase it for the first time.
If there is a desire to change the type of feeding the dog, then you need to introduce new products gradually - starting from once a day. You should not mix food and give ready-made food with natural food in one feeding. The same rule applies when transferring dogs to dry food.
Circle of prohibited products
Veterinary specialists have developed a whole grocery set, which is not recommended to include in the diet of taxes:
- pork - this meat contains too much fat, and it often serves as a carrier of parasites;
- confectionery, chocolate - even if the pet requires a delicacy, it is worthwhile to restrain yourself, since sugar badly affects the pet's gastrointestinal tract and its tooth enamel;
- boiled bones and tubular, which in any form can clog the intestines and even lead to its damage;
- sausages, various smoked delicacies, containing a large amount of substances unsuitable for the stomach of any dog, it is better if the dachshund never tastes like food;
- fatty foods - fried foods, fatty sour cream, butter, margarine, etc .;
- salted foods and dishes with spices.
Important and necessary products in the pet's diet
Since the dachshund does not have any pathological features of the digestive tract, there are quite a few products allowed for its feeding:
- Meat - in the diet should be several types of meat, the dog must receive it daily, preferably in raw form. Suitable lamb, veal, beef, rabbit. Poultry meat can also be given, but it is better to boil it beforehand.
- The fish should be present in the diet, but one or two feedings per week is enough; before serving, the fish should be boiled with boiling water.
- Cereals - the following types of cereals - rice, millet, buckwheat, hercules - are suitable for feeding dachshunds. Cereals can be flavored with vegetable oil of any kind, for example, sunflower, soybean, olive, etc., as well as add chopped fresh greens. It is undesirable to give porridge from semolina and pearl barley. The first is not useful, the second is very hard to digest.
- Pasta can sometimes be given to taxes, only products should be made from durum wheat.
- Bread - from time to time a pet can be pampered, but pastries should not be too fresh and sweet.
- Sour-milk products - low-fat kefir, yogurt, natural yogurts without additives, cottage cheese, cheese - all this may be present in the diet of your beloved pet. But milk can be given if a dog does not develop diarrhea after it.
- Eggs can be given boiled, separately, or added to the dish. A raw dog is offered only the yolk, since the protein is practically not absorbed.
- Vegetables and fruits - except for grapes, you can offer everything to a pet, unless, of course, the dog eats. Most often dachshunds like raw potatoes and carrots.
- Bones are given exclusively raw (as long as they are not tubular).
Sometimes you can treat a dachshund with a cracker, a biscuit, or a cracker.
Basic rules for feeding dachshunds
One of the main questions of owners of dachshunds: "How many times a day to feed a dachshund?". Puppies up to 3 months are fed every three to four hours, from 3 to 8 months three meals a day are enough, from 8 months the dog can be transferred to adult feeding twice a day. Adult dachshunds feed more than twice a day is not recommended, and the portions should be small.
Babies need to be fed before walking, as the need for a toilet they have almost immediately after a meal. In adult pets everything is different - their feeding should occur, just after walking. After a meal, the pet must have a rest, this is due to the peculiarities of its physiology. Active games after eating can cause bloat. Regardless of the time of day and type of food, the dog must have access to water.
There are a number of breeds that have the risk of earning obesity, they also include taxes. They have a good appetite, so be sure to ensure that there is a balance between the amount of food consumed and the physical activity of the dog.
If the pet gets a big load and spends a lot of energy - the portion of food can be increased, with low activity - reduced. To calculate the amount of food for a dachshund, you can use the following formula - 40 grams of food per kilogram of body weight.
Pet not finished eating? In no case should not leave it in a bowl, as the dog has satisfied hunger and all the rest is already superfluous. Food for the dog should be warm, hot, like cold, harms the pet's body. But salt it should not be, as well as add various seasonings and spices.
Often, dogs of this breed suffer from a lack of phosphorus and calcium. To include in the diet of biologically active supplements and vitamin preparations , it is necessary to consult a veterinarian. In no case can not do it yourself.
For a dachshund, dairy products are a complete nutrition from which she will receive all that is necessary, which means you should not supplement it with other food. Do not sweeten the dog food. Sugar, honey, sugar substitutes - all this will only harm the pet's health.
Dachshunds are prone to allergic reactions. If suddenly a pet has dandruff, or it has begun to itch more often than usual, then, most likely, it has food allergies. It is necessary to remove from the diet all the new dishes that could provoke such a state. Most often, these products are sour milk, fish, smoked meats, flour products. If the condition does not improve, you should seek help from a veterinarian.
It is necessary to observe the diet, it will positively affect the pet's digestive system, and also wean the dog to beg. Dachshund's appetite is one of the most obvious indicators of its well-being. Any change, both a raise and its absence, should alarm the pet owner.
How to feed a dachshund puppy
Owners of a dachshund puppy undoubtedly ask themselves the question: “How do you feed a dachshund puppy?” A puppy should receive a sufficient amount of food, and in some periods of its growth a small pet may eat a portion of an adult dog. This should not scare, the baby should be moderately plump, at least, his ribs should not stand out. In any case, puppy malnutrition can be a greater threat to future health than overfeeding.
Food should be of medium consistency. Very small crumbs can be given baby meat food, with the addition of cereals, ground with a blender or twisted in a meat grinder. Often, novice owners feed a dachshund puppy less than what it should be, in the hope that it will not grow rapidly and remain miniature-sized. This will not affect the growth of the dog, the dachshund will be the same as its parents, but the lack of food will lead to various problems.
You should never offer a puppy food from your table. Dachshunds, as well as other breeds, quickly get used to it and later turn into beggars, and often into kitchen thieves. From the balance and saturation of nutrition depends on the full development of the pet.