Generic activities deplete the body of the dog, and yet for normal lactation function, nutrition is required. Sometimes the owners of the "young mother" forget about the obligatory full-fledged nutrition for the mother in childbirth, occupied with new cares about the care of the puppies. Often the pet refuses food, so the owner must know what to feed the dog after giving birth and follow the schedule.
- Почему собака рожает на пустой желудок 1. Why does the dog give birth on an empty stomach?
- Кормление в первые часы после родов 2. Feeding in the first hours after childbirth
- Питание при послеродовом токсикозе 3. Nutrition for postpartum toxicosis
Why does the dog give birth on an empty stomach?
The cause of delivery on an empty stomach is like the animal's refusal to eat due to nervously emotional excitement, and for a number of physiological reasons. The dog is not fed directly before childbirth, because:
- all the processes in the body are aimed at generic activity, and the body avoids additional expenditure of energy for digesting food. Therefore, the dog can do without food during the period of labor;
- a full stomach makes it difficult for the puppies to move along the generic paths, especially the first, the largest;
- a bitch is harder to press, if the stomach is full, and, consequently, the process of labor can drag on, which exhausts the animal and threatens the life of the puppies because of hypoxia;
- muscle contraction during labor can lead to vomiting and uncontrolled defecation, which is an additional stress factor and distracts the dog from childbirth.
If the dog refuses to eat , you can not force it. But in order to support the strength of the animal, it is necessary to offer the bitch in the intervals between the appearance of the pups liquid food - nutrient broth, milk with honey, warm tea with milk. This will restore the balance of fluid in the body, stimulates lactation, has a calming effect on the animal. Childbirth on an empty stomach is a justifiable measure, but after the dog has given birth to all the puppies, it is necessary to take care of its full nutrition.
Natural instincts cause some dogs to eat "after". Disputes about whether this is a necessity for a domestic dog - stretched not for one decade. In the wild, a born bitch, eating a child's place, provides her body with proteins and hormones that stimulate uterine contraction and the production of prolactin.
About it no one cares, offering a full meal after childbirth. A pet does not seem to need such nutrition. However, most breeders are inclined to allow the dog to eat, if desired, no more than three placentas, otherwise the animal may begin diarrhea . In the case of eating the placenta, the dog may not eat for 4-7 hours. If the dog refuses to eat the latter, then it is necessary to take care of what she will eat after the birth.
If your dog has not yet given birth, read what to feed the pregnant dog .
Feeding in the first hours after childbirth
If the birth was successful, then in a few hours the dog can be offered a warm, thermally processed and easily digestible food. The proposed menu should include:
- meat products with a low protein content (pate from the liver and heart);
- rich foods to avoid postnatal "milk fever" - low-fat milk, cottage cheese and sour-milk products;
- boiled and crushed raw vegetables, as a source of trace elements;
- digestible proteins - cooked chicken eggs or as an omelet;
In the prenatal and postnatal period, it is very important to introduce sour-milk products that normalize the intestinal microflora and stimulate metabolic processes.
If the bitch is upset stomach, then you can prepare an absorbing porridge from steamed and broken rice. Some veterinarians advise in the postpartum period to give the animal special penetrations on the basis of bifido- and lactobacillus or prepared with ferments for sour-milk products.
Even if the dog was exclusively fed with a dry type of feed prior to delivery, it should be gradually restricted and the animal transferred to home-made food or canned food. Dry food requires a large amount of liquid to digest, which it can extract from the dog's body, reducing the production of milk. But some experts advise special dry food, developed for nursing bitches. With a plentiful drink, they are able to provide the body with all the necessary minerals and vitamins.
In case the milk is not enough or its nutritional value is low, the veterinarians recommend to introduce a 10% fat content into the postnatal ration of the cream. They will make milk more fat and nutritious.
Nutrition for postpartum toxicosis
Sometimes the complication of the condition after delivery in dogs, especially miniature breeds, is true eclampsia - a severe toxic condition caused by a fall in the level of calcium in the body. Signs of postpartum toxicosis are as follows:
- uncontrolled twitching of muscles, tremor of limbs;
- photophobia and refusal of food;
- a sense of fear, increased anxiety and fussiness;
- ignoring offspring;
- impaired motor function;
- loss of orientation and coordination of movements;
- "Defocused" vision;
- shortness of breath, respiratory function disorder, which can lead to asphyxia and respiratory arrest.
It is not necessary that with eclampsia all symptoms will be expressed. But if the animal has already had hypocalcemia in the previous pregnancy, then it is urgent to go to the veterinarian and be able to give the animal first aid - to stop the syndrome with the help of intensive therapy with the use of anti-shock and detoxification drugs. If the dog feels weak and refuses to eat, you should try to persuade her to eat or force feed.
Diet for postpartum toxicosis should consist of products containing a large amount of calcium - cottage cheese, milk, kefir, yogurt with live cultures of lactobacilli. In groups at risk of developing eclampsia, it is necessary to exclude in advance products enriched with protein - raw meat, saturated broths, fish.
In dogs of large and gigantic breeds, meat should only be of good quality. For their food, do not use offal. Supplement the diet with bioadditives and calcium preparations - Beaphar Calcium, Canina Canipulver, 8in1 Calcidee and other medications recommended by the doctor.
If the bitch is too weakened in the process of delivery or she does not have enough milk, then we should take care of the artificial feeding of puppies. It is necessary to choose the mixtures that are maximally adapted to the mother's milk. Cow and goat's milk are very different in composition from canine and may adversely affect the growth of puppies. Therefore, experts offer specially prepared mixtures of cow's milk, cream, eggs, enriched with vitamins D2 or 3.
Only the right diet of the bitch in the postpartum period will provide full nutrition to the puppies and the rapid recovery of the dog itself. On the properly selected diet indicates the appearance of the animal, its mood and condition.