Pitbull is a formidable dog, requiring a special approach to upbringing. In addition, these animals also have their own peculiarities in terms of nutrition, with which the owners of this breed should be acquainted before acquiring such a pet. What to feed the pit bull so that the dog is full, healthy and merry?
Pit Bull Feeding Features
American pitbull terrier refers to breeds that are prone to allergic reactions , which means that the dog's diet should exclude possible allergens.
The owner of the pit bull always has a choice, whether to feed the pet with natural food, or to give preference to specialized prepared feeds. And it is necessary to take into account that it is impossible to feed the pit bull with waste from cooking. Natural food should consist of meat, suitable for feeding croup dogs and added vegetables and greens.
Even in the process of acquiring a four-legged friend, it is necessary to ask what the puppy eats, what kind of food is used and in general, to receive detailed advice on the proper feeding of dogs of this breed. Only just excommunicated from the mother of the baby are fed cow's milk.
American pitbullies grow quite rapidly (you can read up to what age dogs grow ). By the age of eight months, the size of an adult dog has reached. After this, an intensive set of muscle mass begins. Proceeding from this feature of development, nutrition should be clearly regulated and aimed at maintaining certain physiological characteristics.
Pitbulls have a special skin and fur coat, because of which the dog has a tendency to form subcutaneous fatty acids . Again, this has a direct relationship with the products used. As soon as it has been found out at least one formation, the diet of the pet should be completely revised. From the menu it is recommended to exclude flour products, sweets, reduce the consumption of foods containing a large number of animal fats - butter, sour cream, etc.
The basic rules for feeding pitbulls include the following:
- never and under no circumstances should you feed your pet with food from your own table;
- Overfeed pit bulls absolutely not, this leads to the fact that the dog begins to be lazy, gaining excess weight;
- starve the dog, too, is not worth it, with malnutrition, it becomes irritable, restless;
- food for the pit bull should not be very hot, but it is better not to give a cold to these dogs;
- pitbulli, like any other spoiled dog, can refuse food, hoping for more tasty food; in this case it is necessary to show your character to your character, and to allow you to starve for a couple of days.
To improve the digestion of the pet, you need to give him the opportunity to a 30-minute rest before and after eating. In the morning it is better to give the dog more light food, leaving more nutritious dishes for evening feeding.
Natural foods in the diet of the pit bull
Any dog is fed according to her age, the number of pit bull feeding should be as follows:
- From one and a half to two months of age - 6 times in knocking;
- From 2.5 to 3 months - 5 times a day;
- From 4 to 6 months - 4 times a day;
- From the half-year period to the eight-month age, you can switch to three meals a day;
- Since 8 months of the pit bull, you can already feed as an adult dog - twice a day.
In this mode, the tendency of decreasing the number of feedings is clearly traced, and each time the portion should increase until the puppy approaches the regime of the adult dog.
It is necessary to comply with the regime, water should be changed twice a day. Feeding the pet should be dealt with only by the owners, it is not necessary to entrust this matter to other people. If the pit bull starts eating, you can not distract him, try to pet, comb, and so on.
Puppies are fed often, food should have a high nutritional value, portions should be small, this promotes its better absorption. Daily the puppy should eat 100 grams of meat, and once or twice a week a portion of the offal - the heart (chicken, veal), liver (chicken, beef), or beef lung.
Daily the puppy needs 40-50 grams of cottage cheese 2-4% fat, 100-150 grams of vegetables (grated carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, turnips), 100 ml of milk. A couple of times a week it is desirable to give one boiled egg.
It is recommended that the pit bull puppies be fed with porridges boiled in milk. For this purpose, the following cereals are suitable:
- glacial flakes;
A teenage dog (7-8 months) needs meat more than an adult pet - 600 grams per day, later the portion can be reduced to 450 grams.
Feeding the pit bull with prepared feeds
Pitbulli can perfectly eat already prepared forages. Translate puppies into it from the age of two months. But it is necessary to do this with caution, carefully watching the condition of the pet.
Choosing the right food, it is best to give preference to premium products and focus on the age of a small pet.
To all went without problems, initially the pet is given several pellets of food as a treat. Then two or three days, it is necessary to observe the condition of the dog for the manifestation of an allergic reaction or an intestinal disorder.
If the puppy feels fine, then you can start feeding it with ready-made food. For a small pet, a daily serving is 110-120 grams, it needs to be divided several times. Initially, the feed pellets are macerated in boiled water, whole milk, low-fat kefir or curdled milk. With this type of food, it is very important to provide the animal with free access to drinking water.
If we talk about adult American pitbulls, then they also need to select a quality feed that is suitable for feeding large dogs. The composition has a special requirement - the protein content is not higher than 25%. It is extremely important to balance the minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. Surplus in the dog's body of phosphorus can provoke malfunctions of the nervous system, for example, a pet may suffer from pathological cowardice. Therefore, many breeders of American pitbull terriers do not recommend introducing a feed into the pet's diet, where the main component is fish.
Even if the chosen feed is perfectly balanced, it is still necessary to treat the pet regularly with raw vegetables and cartilaginous bones. This is necessary for the prevention of diseases of the teeth and gums, especially from the formation of tartar.
Than you can not feed a pit bull
There are many products that do not belong in the dog's diet:
- Broccoli - is toxic, especially if consumed in large quantities.
- Grapes - adversely affects the condition of the kidneys of the pet.
- Mushrooms - the toxins contained in them can affect the health of the dog.
- Baking from yeast dough - causes the processes of fermentation in the intestines, accompanied by the release of alcohol.
- Animal fat - adversely affects the entire digestive tract of the dog.
- Sugar substitute - helps lower blood sugar.
- Potatoes - in most dogs, including pit bulls, this vegetable can provoke diarrhea .
- Milk - it is great for puppies, but for adult pets it affects like a laxative.
- Confectionery products - dogs do well without sweets, which provoke problems with teeth, digestive tract, cause obesity.
Pitbull Terriers do not need an additional source of salt, everything they need, they take from the products. It is necessary to exclude from the diet of the dog all fatty, fried, flavored with spices. Bread to give pit bulls is also not recommended, except that sometimes, as a treat, offer a rye crumb.
Can I give a pit bull terrier a bone? Definitely, no! Bone gnawing can lead to various negative consequences:
- tooth fracture;
- damage to the oral cavity with sharp fragments;
- bones often get stuck between teeth, causing pain to the dog;
- more severe consequences - stuck bone in the esophagus, trachea, stomach;
- eating bones can cause constipation .
It is not uncommon for fragments of bones to leave the intestine in a natural way, but remain in it. This leads to the appearance of intestinal obstruction. It is no easier situation when sharp edges of a bone damage the rectum, and the dog begins to bleed.
Damage to the walls of the stomach or parts of the intestine can cause bacterial infection. The resulting peritonitis can lead to the death of the pet.
How to properly and what to feed your pet, you have the right to decide only the owner. But it is still important to consult with an expert before this.