The German Shepherd is a breed of dogs that can serve, be a watchman, companion, guide. Such universality is due to the fact that these dogs are distinguished by their easy learning ability, are unpretentious in their content, are restrained and perceptive. This breed has enjoyed a special popularity and love for many decades, and many people dream of having a German shepherd. And if the dream is realized, the owners of these excellent dogs are beginning to be interested in pressing problems, for example, what to feed the German shepherd?
- Как кормить овчарку готовыми сухими кормами 1. How to feed a sheepdog with ready dry food
- Натуральные продукты для кормления породистого питомца 2. Natural products for feeding a thoroughbred pet
- Чем кормить щенка немецкой овчарки 3. How to feed a German Shepherd puppy
- Основные правила кормления питомца 4. Basic rules for feeding a pet
How to feed a sheepdog ready-made dry food
Dog owners may have questions about nutrition, since the German Shepherd is a large animal that requires a sufficient amount of food.
As with other dogs, in this issue there are two options - natural food or dry ready food . Specialists in breeding have already been able to determine that it is better and more convenient for a pet to have a pet - dry food. This type of food has certain advantages:
- ready food can be stored for a long time;
- It is convenient to take food with you on the road, even prolonged;
- a pet, even a large one, needs a small amount of food at a time.
There are several types of feed that can be used for feeding. And what kind of food to feed the German shepherd chooses each independently:
- Forage economy category. The basis is by-products, they also have a high content of low-quality fiber. The food of this class is often unbalanced, its composition may lack important vitamins and trace elements . Due to its low nutritional value, its consumption is significantly increased.
- Category premium. Food of higher quality, includes both meat and vegetable components. Its energy value is higher, therefore the daily norm is much less than in the economical variant.
- Super-premium class or Holistic. For its preparation, products of the highest quality are taken: meat, cereals, cereals. Food has a high nutritional value, nutritional value and is distinguished by a rather high price. Veterinary specialists believe that this is the most suitable option for feeding a four-legged friend. You can buy it only in specialized pharmacies and stores.
If the owners of the German Shepherd choose dry food as their food for the pet, they should take care that the dog receives only the necessary amount of food and consumes sufficient water that they do not have.
It is worthwhile to know that some producers indicate a higher grade of feed, although it does not comply with existing standards and norms, so it is necessary to procure food only from proven brands that have positive recommendations from large dog breeders.
However, some veterinarians still believe that a natural, well-balanced diet is best for a German shepherd.
Natural products for feeding a thoroughbred pet
Such food is indeed considered useful, in spite of the fact that there will be a lot of time spent preparing it. It is not a secret that dogs do not need food variety, but at the same time their food should contain all necessary, vital elements.
A third of the German Shepherd's diet should consist of meat - the source of animal protein. It is best to give the pet its raw, cut into small pieces, but it can be replaced and boiled. But from minced meat is better to refuse, since it is characterized by poor digestibility. Choose low-fat types of meat - beef, horse meat, lean mutton. Pork is not recommended and is even somewhat forbidden.
By-products are quite acceptable in the diet - liver of beef, heart, stomachs, lungs, but they can only be cooked.
The German Shepherd can offer bones, even the puppies show sugar bones. They help to train the jawbone musculature, and also prevent the formation of plaque. Only they must be necessarily moist, as boiled bones can provoke an animal's constipation. Do not give the pet a tubular bone, since it can lead to perforation of the stomach.
A large number of useful substances of the dog are obtained with fish. Its nutritional value is much lower than meat products, as a result of which a single serving of fish should be at least 1.5 times larger. Do not give her a pet daily, enough once or twice a week. Puppies are cleaned of fish from bones, but adult pets can consume the product with them. It is recommended to give a marine fish look crude, but it is better to heat the river with heat treatment, as it is often a carrier of parasites.
A couple of times a week a German shepherd owner can give hard-boiled eggs or yolks, but raw. Raw egg whites digestive system of the dog is practically not digested.
Dogs of this breed are recommended to include in the diet of dairy products - kefir, cottage cheese, curdled milk can constitute the third part of the whole meal. Whole milk is given only to puppies, the organism of an adult animal is poorly absorbed.
In the daily menu of the pet include croup, but in small quantities. It can be rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal. It is not recommended to feed the puppy with bread, especially fresh white. For dogs, suhariki from gray or rye flour will do.
Many representatives of this breed are good at eating fruits and vegetables. It is better to give them raw, in a crushed form. Carrot, pumpkin, Jerusalem artichoke, cabbage, beetroot are suitable for feeding. In the dish of the dog you can add finely chopped greens, as an additional source of vitamins.
Fruits for a German Shepherd should be a special treat. To all the useful substances contained in them, better absorbed, you can add sour cream or vegetable (sunflower, olive, sesame) oil to the crushed fruits.
Feeding with natural products means adding to the diet of special vitamin supplements. They are picked up for the pet by a veterinarian.
How to feed a German Shepherd puppy
Like the rest of the breeds, the German shepherd puppy age is the most important life period. At this time, there is intensive growth, maximum weight gain, development of skeleton and musculature. Therefore it is very important to make a correct, balanced diet and understand what to feed a puppy of a German shepherd.
The specialists determined the most successful nutrition scheme:
- From the first month to 2-six meals a day, one glass of food per day.
- Up to three months of age - five meals, just one and a half glasses.
- At the age of up to six months - four meals a day, 1 liter of food per day.
- From 6 months to a year - three meals a day, 0.5 liters per session.
A one-year-old pet is already considered an adult and is transferred to a two-time meal. If in three or four months to give the puppy a large amount of food, then by the year the pet will develop obesity. And this will have a detrimental effect on the health of the dog, especially on the development of the musculoskeletal system. Therefore, the increase in food should occur due to products containing many proteins and as few fat and carbohydrates as possible.
In addition, you need to take care that the puppy with food does not receive too much calcium. The German Shepherd's organism reacts to excess calcium by various mutational changes and health problems in the future.
Basic rules for feeding a pet
In this case, it is required to comply with the general norms for feeding large dogs:
- The food should be regular. The food is given to the pet at the same time, 15-20 minutes. All that is left in the bowl after the time has elapsed is extra food. It should be borne in mind that the German shepherds have a small stomach, so eating a large amount of food can lead to a turn of the intestines and even in some cases to death.
- How many times to feed a German shepherd? The optimal option - a two-time type of food, morning and evening.
- Do not give cold or hot meals. The food should be warm.
- The dog must be provided with fresh water.
- It is necessary to provide the pet with a special stand for bowls. It should be at the level of the sternum of the pet and promote the normal development of the musculoskeletal system.
- The food should have a thick consistency. The stomach in the dog is arranged in such a way that it does not absorb the liquid food, so the thicker, the better.
From the diet of the German Shepherd is better to remove the following products:
- all flour (including pasta);
- peas, beans, lentils;
- confectionery, especially chocolate;
- sausage products, smoked products.
It is not recommended to give dogs salty, pickled products, as well as spiced with spices. It is necessary to adhere to only one type of food, because in the digestion of dry food, only enzymes participate, and for the assimilation of natural food, completely different. From the correct choice of nutrition, the balance of the diet depends on the health and life expectancy of the pet.