The German Shepherd is a breed of dog that can serve, be a guard, companion, guide. Such versatility is due to the fact that these dogs are easy to learn, unpretentious in content, restrained and insightful. This breed has enjoyed particular popularity and love for decades, and many people dream of having a German Shepherd. And if the dream comes true, the owners of these excellent dogs become interested in immediate problems, for example, what to feed the German Shepherd Dog?
- Как кормить овчарку готовыми сухими кормами 1. How to feed a sheepdog ready dry food
- Натуральные продукты для кормления породистого питомца 2. Natural products for feeding purebred pet
- Чем кормить щенка немецкой овчарки 3. How to feed a German Shepherd puppy
- Основные правила кормления питомца 4. Basic pet feeding rules
How to feed a sheepdog ready dry food
Dog owners may have questions about nutrition, as the German Shepherd is a large animal that requires a sufficient amount of food.
As with other dogs, in this matter there are two options - natural food or dry ready-made food . Breeding specialists have already been able to determine that it is better and more convenient for the pet for the owner - these are dry food. This type of food has certain advantages:
- the finished feed can be stored for a long time;
- food convenient to take on the road, even long;
- A pet, even a large one, needs a small amount of feed at one time.
There are several types of feed that can be used for feeding. And what kind of food to feed the German Shepherd each chooses each:
- Feed economy category. The basis of this is by-products, they also have a high content of low-quality fiber. Food of this class is often unbalanced, it may lack important vitamins and trace elements . Due to its low nutritional value, its consumption increases significantly.
- Premium category. Higher quality food includes both meat and vegetable components. Its energy value is higher, so the daily rate is much less than the economical option.
- Super Premium or Holistic. For its preparation, products of the highest quality are taken - meat, cereals, cereals. The food has a high nutritional value, nutritional value and is distinguished by a rather high price. Veterinary experts believe that this is the most suitable option for feeding a four-legged friend. You can buy it only in specialized pharmacies and shops.
If the owners of the German shepherd choose dry food types as food for the pet, then they should ensure that the dog receives only the required amount of food and consumes a sufficient amount of water, which they are deprived of.
It is worth knowing that some manufacturers indicate a higher class of feed, although it does not conform to existing standards and norms, so you need to acquire food only from proven brands that have positive recommendations from large dog breeders.
However, some veterinarians still believe that a natural, well-balanced diet is best for the German Shepherd.
Natural products for feeding purebred pet
Such food is really considered useful, despite the fact that a lot of time will be spent on its preparation. It is not a secret that dogs do not need a variety of food, but at the same time their food must contain all the necessary, vital elements.
A third of the diet of the German shepherd should consist of meat - a source of animal protein. It is best to give your pet raw, cut into small pieces, but you can replace and cooked. But it is better to refuse mince, since it is distinguished by poor digestibility. You need to choose lean types of meat - beef, horse meat, lean mutton. Pork is not recommended and even is to some extent banned.
By-products are quite acceptable in the diet - beef liver, heart, stomachs, lung, but they can be given only boiled.
German shepherd can be offered bones, even puppies are shown sugar bones. They help to train the jaw muscles, as well as prevent the formation of plaque. Only they must be raw, as boiled bones can cause constipation in an animal. You can not give your pet tubular bone, as it can lead to perforation of the stomach.
A large number of nutrients dogs get with fish. Its nutritional value is much lower than meat products; as a result, a one-time serving of fish should be at least 1.5 times more. You do not need to give your pet every day, once or twice a week is enough. Puppies fish cleaned of bones, but adult pets can use the product with them. Marine species of fish is recommended to give raw, but the river is better to heat treat, as it is often a carrier of parasites.
A couple of times a week, the owner can produce hard-boiled eggs or yolks, but raw. Raw egg whites are practically not digested by the digestive system of the dog.
Dogs of this breed are encouraged to include in the diet dairy products - kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt can be a third of the entire meal. Whole milk is given only to puppies, the body of an adult animal does not digest it well.
In the daily menu of a pet include cereal, but in small quantities. It can be rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal. It is not recommended to feed the puppy with bread, especially fresh white. For dogs, crackers made from gray or rye flour are better.
Many representatives of this breed eat well fruits and vegetables. It is better to give them raw, in crushed form. Suitable for feeding carrots, pumpkin, Jerusalem artichoke, cabbage, beets. Finely chopped greens can be added to dog dishes as an additional source of vitamins.
Fruits for the German Shepherd should be a special delicacy. So that all the beneficial substances contained in them are better absorbed, you can add sour cream or vegetable (sunflower, olive, sesame) oil to the ground fruit.
Feeding with natural products means adding special vitamin supplements to the diet. They are selected for a pet veterinarian.
What to feed a puppy German shepherd
Like the other breeds, the German Shepherd puppy age is the most important life span. At this time, there is an intensive growth, maximum weight gain, the development of the skeleton and muscles. Therefore, it is very important to make a correct, balanced diet and understand how to feed a puppy of a German shepherd.
Experts have identified the most successful power scheme:
- From the 1st month to the 2nd - six meals a day, one cup of food per day.
- Up to three months - five meals, just one and a half cups.
- At the age of six months - four meals a day, 1 liter of food per day.
- From 6 months to a year - three meals a day, 0.5 liters at a time.
One-year-old pet is considered an adult and is transferred to two meals a day. If in three or four months to give a puppy a large amount of food, then by the year the pet will develop obesity. And this will adversely affect the health of the dog, especially on the development of the musculoskeletal system. Therefore, an increase in food should occur at the expense of products containing a lot of proteins and as little as possible of fats and carbohydrates.
In addition, care must be taken that the puppy with food does not get too much calcium. The German Shepherd organism reacts to an excess of calcium with various mutational changes and health problems in the future.
Basic Pet Feeding Rules
In this case, you must comply with the general rules of feeding large dogs:
- Meals should be regular. Food is given to a pet at the same time, for 15-20 minutes. All that remains at the end of the time in the bowl is extra food. It should be borne in mind that German Shepherd dogs have a small stomach, so eating a large amount of food can lead to blotting of intestines and even in some cases fatal.
- How many times to feed a German shepherd? The best option - two meals a day, morning and evening.
- Do not give hot or cold dishes. Food should be warm.
- The dog must be provided with fresh water.
- It is necessary to provide a pet with a special stand for bowls. It should be at the level of the pet sternum and contribute to the normal development of the musculoskeletal system.
- Feed must have a thick texture. The dog's stomach is designed in such a way that it does not digest liquid food, so the thicker the better.
From the diet of the German Shepherd is better to remove the following products:
- all flour (including pasta);
- peas, beans, lentils;
- confectionery, especially chocolate;
- sausage products, smoked products.
It is not recommended to give dogs salted, pickled foods, as well as flavored with spices. It is necessary to adhere to only one type of food, since some enzymes are involved in the digestion of dry food, and completely different for the assimilation of natural food. From the right choice of food, the balance of the diet depends on the health and longevity of the pet.