Dogs, like people, are all different and have their own habits and preferences. The same goes for food. But in the case of four-legged pets, it is not always the case that the animal loves or does not love the animal. More emphasis is placed on the physiological characteristics of the body. Here and dogs of the pug breed have an original appearance and individual needs, which owners should be guided by when choosing a diet. So, how to feed a pug?
- Особенности кормления мопса 1. Features of feeding a pug
- Запрещенные для мопса продукты 2. Prohibited products for pugs
- Особенности кормления мопсов до 4-х месяцев 3. Features of feeding pugs up to 4 months
- Питание мопса в возрасте 4-7 месяцев 4. Eating a pug at the age of 4-7 months
- Питание мопса старше полугода 5. Feed the pug over six months
- Кормление взрослой особи 6. Feeding adults
- Кормление готовыми кормами 7. Feeding with prepared feeds.
Features of feeding a pug
A pug is a doggie that has a small-sized stomach like a pouch, which means that it is not designed by nature for the digestion of liquid food. This pet should be fed exclusively solid, concentrated foods.
The basis of nutrition of a pug, like other dogs, is meat - lean and raw. Mutton, horse meat, beef, poultry, rabbit, hare will perfectly fit into his diet. Pet can be treated with raw paws, wings, necks of chickens or ducks. Pug's gastric juice literally dissolves the raw bone. As for boiled bones, they are broken down in the stomach and become dangerous for the body.
Even in adults of this breed there is a need for drinking milk, with its help dogs get rid of heartburn.
To get useful elements from food better assimilated, it is necessary to walk with puppies more often and longer, so that they move a lot, feeding their appetite. It is believed that for knocking a pug puppy should spend at least two hours in the open air.
Feeding rules are as follows:
- food should be given after walking when the pet has a little rest;
- not recommended to give food from the hands;
- if the pet does not eat, then you cannot force it;
- for eating a dog must be strictly designated place;
- the feeding schedule must be followed;
- giving food from the table is strictly prohibited.
When choosing dishes for pugs should prefer flat bowls. They should always be clean.
It is necessary to provide the pug with clean water. For these purposes, there should always be a large-sized bowl, and not only during feeding, but constantly. If you follow these rules, the dog will not sneak up on the water and drink greedily, but do it imperceptibly, in small portions.
It is good for a pug to eat raw meat, so it’s best not to offer him a boiled product. Often the dog "comes to taste" and later refuses to eat raw meat. But in addition to its composition, in addition to healthy protein, it contains vitamins and trace elements that disappear after heat treatment.
Under the ban in pugs, boiled chicken bones, even being thin and soft, after a dog's stomach, they come out with stony feces, similar in appearance to limestone.
In nature, predatory animals get salt from the blood of the victims. Purchased meat has a low content. Therefore, in the diet of a pug, you can add salted fish, fish pastes. It is necessary to prepare food for a dog without adding seasonings and spices.
Prohibited products for pugs
To feed a pug properly, you need to know that it is strictly forbidden to give. This list includes the following:
- Pasta - all kinds, forms and composition.
- Semolina porridge - it is very poorly absorbed by the body of dogs.
- Potato - can trigger the development of diabetes .
- Sweets and all pastries - besides the fact that they adversely affect the enamel of the teeth, they also upset the work of the digestive tract.
- Sugar and any of its substitutes are also unacceptable in the pug's diet.
- Sausages, meat delicacies, various smoked meats - cause enormous harm to the pet.
Porridge and bread for this breed are heavy, difficult to digest food that can cause fermentation processes in the digestive tract. You can give it, but not regularly and in small quantities.
Features feeding pugs up to 4 months
Naturally, the puppy's diet is different from the adult dog menu, so you need to take this into account.
For a period of three to seven months, there is a stage of active growth of the dog, which means that the pug should be fed abundantly. Owners should not be frightened that a small dog absorbs food more than an adult pet of a larger size. This phenomenon is normal, as the body is growing rapidly and requires energy.
How many times a day and how to feed a pug puppy? During this period should be four meals. In the first two feedings it is recommended to give the following products:
- dairy products - milk, fermented milk drinks (kefir, bifidok, yogurt, acidophilin, etc.), you can add a little honey, cottage cheese;
- vegetables - it is better to offer your pet raw, ground on it or cut into small pieces, you can spice it with vegetable oils;
- bread - a small piece, with the addition of butter, cheese;
- porridge (except barley and manna) - you can add any butter, pieces of fruit;
- egg yolk (from chicken or quail eggs) - can be raw or cooked;
- fresh fruit (except grapes);
- pieces of salted herring (if the pet loves).
In the third and fourth feeding the dog should be given raw meat, which should be without fat or raw bones, previously beat off with a hammer. Pugs should not be given pork.
Once or twice a week fresh garlic can be added to the food of a tiny pug. Two cloves, passed through the press, are given with the main course. Garlic will strengthen the immune system of the animal and protects against parasitic organisms.
Food pug at the age of 4-7 months
The number of feedings is reduced to three times a day. Changes occur in the diet - meat becomes the main course, increase the amount of dairy products and cereals. As before, the dog should not be given liquid food (it can contribute to the deformation of the corset - the pet will sag in the peritoneum and a backbend will appear), satisfying this need with drinking water. A healthy dog at this age still continues to eat a lot and should not be limited to its diet.
Food pug older than six months
Feeding is gradually approaching the nutrition of an adult dog. You can give food only twice - in the morning (afternoon) and in the evening. Morning diet can be very diverse, but not contain fish and meat food. They are best offered to the dog in the evening. This order should be followed up to 12 months, and then fully switch to the adult menu.
If the pug receives two meals a day, the interval between feedings should not exceed 12 hours.
The amount of meat is calculated as follows - 30 grams of the product, counting a bone, per kilogram of the dog’s mass.
The structure of the pug's jaws is arranged in such a way that they lack chewing teeth. Therefore, the dog should simply break raw food and swallow meat, and even bones, in chunks. Meat products pet gets in the form of pieces, the rest - in a ground state. These are the peculiarities of physiology in pugs and must be taken into account.
An adult dog should receive:
- Two thirds of all food in the form of raw meat.
- Sea lean fish - twice a week.
- Dairy products daily - cottage cheese, various varieties of cheese, including soft (Adyghe, cheese), dairy products. Be sure to give pug milk regularly.
- Vegetables - any (except potatoes), boiled, stewed and raw.
- Fruits - everything, except grapes, crushed, you can offer the dog dried fruit, fresh and cooked compote.
- Bread - no fresh pastries made from white flour, only from coarse flour, with the addition of whole grains.
- Porridge - you can give pug buckwheat, rice, barley, oatmeal (except semolina and pearl barley).
- Porridge and vegetables can be flavored with vegetable and butter.
If possible, it is recommended to give a pug 1-2 quail eggs per week. Nature disposed of in such a way that the dogs of this breed must eat the ground, roots and bark of trees, wool and skin, as well as warm manure of herbivores. So if the pet does it on the run, do not interfere with it, no matter how unpleasant the owners are.
Feeding the finished feed
There are many different ready-made dry and wet food, but it is advisable to choose one that takes into account the characteristics of the gastrointestinal tract of pugs.
Like other dogs, representatives of this breed need to be fed at the same time, when transferring to ready-made food, exercise restraint and do it gradually. The same applies to changing one finished ration to another.
With this type of food you should not introduce any biological supplements and vitamin complexes without the recommendations of the veterinarian. An overabundance of beneficial substances can harm the body more than their deficiency.
If the dog is well-groomed and receives the necessary food, then when feeling the sides, the ribs should not be felt. Otherwise, the diet needs to be revised. Proper, balanced diet pug will provide him a long and healthy life.