Cocker spaniels are sweet creatures and merry men who love active games and have a tasty meal. And in the latter they are absolutely unstrivable. This gives an extra reason to take more seriously to the choice of diet, because overfed cocker - it's a lazy, listless dog with bad health. We'll figure out how to feed a cocker spaniel and understand how to avoid eating the pet.
- Типы кормлений кокер спаниелей 1. Types of feeding cocker spaniels
- На что ориентироваться при выборе рациона 2. What to focus on when choosing a diet
- Сколько раз в день необходимо кормить кокер-спаниеля 3. How many times a day do you need to feed a cocker spaniel
- Сухой корм для кокер спаниелей 4. Dry food for cocker spaniels
- Натуральные продукты для кокеров 5. Natural products for cocaids
- Запрещенные продукты 6. Prohibited products
Types of Cocker Spaniel Feeding
Before you understand how to feed a cocker spaniel, you need to understand the types of feeding. For the feeding of cocks, all three types of feeding are suitable: dry food , natural food, or you can combine the first two types and use mixed feeding. In our country there are devotees of all options, and the choice lies solely on the owner of the dog. But most often a preference is given to a more convenient method - feeding with industrial food.
In a mixed type to the diet of dry food add the ready-made moist, canned food and (or) natural food. It is worth remembering that not everything that is useful to a person is vital for dogs.
What to focus on when choosing a diet
To ensure that the feeding gave positive results, the pet did not starve, but did not overeat, it is necessary to take into account several important factors:
- The size of the pet. This parameter is quite different for the cockerers, for example, the Russian spaniel is much larger than the Japanese, or the one-spaniel. Therefore, the amount of food should match.
- Age of the dog. Puppies, especially during a period of active growth, require a lot of nutritious food, and in this case, abundant feeding will only benefit (provided that all products are "right"). In elderly dogs, motor activity is reduced, which means that calorie intake is also lower.
- Physical activity. The load that the pet receives is also much dependent. If the spaniel performs hunting duties, or participates in sports competitions, then his activity requires a more caloric and nutritious diet than for flat, less active colleagues.
- Features of character. Although most of the cockers are tireless runners and igruns, who can entertain themselves independently, and even in a small apartment to arrange a playground, rarely, but still there are individuals with laziness, for which they doze off all day-best leisure. For this category, a portion of food can be safely reduced by a quarter, energy-saving dogs do not hurt.
- Physical state. Enrich the diet with protein products, as well as food containing a large number of trace elements and vitamins , is necessary in the postoperative period, as well as during recovery from illness, gestation and rearing of offspring.
- Propensity to allergies . Cockers, especially their decorative species, tend to this condition. Therefore, all new products must be tested, giving a very small amount, and then observe the reaction. If the body has reacted negatively - skin irritation, itching, a dog's tears are flowing , or breathing is wasted - the irritating product should get under strict prohibition.
How many times a day do you need to feed a cocker spaniel
Because of the gluttony of the cockers owners must strictly follow the size of the portion and strictly adhere to the feeding regime. The puppy is given an average of 4-5 table spoons of food for one meal, the adult dog consumes an average of 1.5-2.5 cups.
According to the age indicators, spaniels are fed as follows:
- Babies up to two months of age are suitable for five-, six-day daily feeding.
- Puppies from 2 to 4 months of food is given at least 4 times a day.
- From 4 months to 6 months - from 3 to 4.
- Up to a year you can switch to two meals a day, but it is still permissible to feed three times.
- Older than a year - 1-2 feedings daily, and some experts recommend one-time feeding, as the most optimal for the cocks.
The owner chooses the time of feeding, proceeding from convenience, since the main thing in this business is that the dog should receive food regularly at the same time.
Dry food for cocker spaniels
Today the food of domestic animals with dry food is quite common, but what should the owners know about it? Industrial feeds have a balanced composition, are enriched with useful additives, but only if it is a quality product. It is recommended to use premium and super premium grades for cocks, as well as special food for pets with food allergies.
Food for spaniels should be of high quality, contain everything necessary for the health of the pet, do not induce digestion and allergies. To long and unsuccessfully independently do not pick food by experimenting with an animal, you can consult in this matter with professional breeders of the breed.
Finding the right one, stands on it and stop, a change in food can negatively affect the health of the dog. It is necessary to adhere to the age criterion.
Natural products for cocaids
Choosing a diet for a spaniel, you can include the following products:
- Meat. The basis of the menu of any dog, including cocks. Puppies are given at the rate of 50 grams per kilogram of body weight, for an adult pet enough 250-350 grams per day. Meat is given boneless, exclusively boiled.
- By-products. No more than two or three times a week you can replace one meat dish with carefully cooked by-products - liver, heart, lungs. The serving size in this case must be increased by one third.
- Milk products. Any dairy dish, even one milk - is a meal, you can not replace them with water or give between meals. It should be borne in mind that whole milk can have a laxative effect on an adult pet. In the ration of the Cocker must be present cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir, various cheeses. These are essential ingredients for normal digestion of the dog.
- Eggs. Must be in the diet, but in limited quantities. Quite enough 1-2 per week. It is recommended to give the pet in the form of an omelet or an egg boiled soft-boiled.
- Bakery products and cereals. It is worth remembering that these products should not be the basis of the spaniel's nutrition. They are given only for a variety of menus. You can boil porridge on both water and milk, it is preferable to use flakes, buckwheat, rice. In cereals, you can add a little vegetable oil and vegetables.
- Vegetables and fruits. For the feeding of a cocker, the following vegetables will suit - carrots, pumpkin, cucumbers, turnips, zucchini. It is better, if they are in raw form, but can also be boiled. For better mastering, they must be crushed and filled with vegetable oil, sour cream. It is not bad to add shredded herbs, as an additional source of nutrients. Fruits can be given as a treat in small quantities, since they contain a lot of sugar. Pamper the pet with a slice of apple, melon, watermelon, several currant berries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries or sweet cherries.
- Sometimes it is not superfluous to include in the diet rye croutons, dried fruits .
- As a preventive anthelmintic agent, you can give the pet crushed garlic , spreading it with butter on bread, or adding to food. But not more than once a week and not more than one denticle.
Fish is not an obligatory product for spaniels, but it is not forbidden to diversify the menu with boiled sea fish. In no case should the pet be given any fish with bones in its raw form, and the river is completely banned.
Bones for cocaids are harmful, they can provoke constipation, curvature of the intestines, and even cause damage to the tissues of internal organs. And, in addition, the use of bones leads to tooth enamel grinding.
It is not recommended to include bread in the menu of the spaniel (especially white), pasta, sausages, pastries, beans, potatoes, sweets. Cabbage is allowed to enter the diet, but after heat treatment or in a sausage form, but from broccoli it is better to completely abandon.
It is important to understand that whatever type of food the pet owner chooses, the main thing is that it should be correct, balanced and healthy.