Chihuahua is very small, but it's an active dog that spends a lot of energy. This should make the owners think about the complete diet of the pet and understand what to feed the chihuahua. The main thing in the nutrition of a dog is, first of all, the quality of food, and not its quantity. So, it is necessary to observe the balance, and provide the animal with the most nutritious foods.
- Что должно входить в рацион чихуахуа 1. What should be included in the Chihuahua diet?
- Запрещенные продукты 2. Prohibited products
- Пример суточного рациона взрослого чихуахуа 3. An example of the daily ration of an adult Chihuahua
- Особенности питания собак, вынашивающих потомство и щенков 4. Features of nutrition of breeding dogs and puppies
- Готовые корма для чихуахуа 5. Finished chihuahua food
What should be included in the Chihuahua diet?
Despite its tiny size, do not forget that the Chihuahua is a full-fledged dog, respectively, a predator. And its diet, for the most part, should consist of protein food. The basis is an animal of animal origin, but vegetable proteins, carbohydrates, fats and the necessary trace elements must also be present in the diet - necessarily the presence of calcium, phosphorus and vitamins of various groups .
High content of animal protein in the following products:
- meat - beef, horse meat, veal, lamb, poultry meat;
- cheese products;
- fermented milk products.
However, not all of them are suitable as a feed for chihuahua. It is worth considering in more detail all the components of the menu of these dogs.
It has already been noted that meat for dogs of this breed is the basis of their nutrition. Chihuahua can be fed with low-fat varieties of meat - beef, veal, horse meat. It is undesirable to give raw, before serving, you can boil it or give it with steep boiling water.
Kasha must also be present in the diet of a tiny pet. This can be buckwheat, rice, corn or oatmeal.
Vegetables are welcomed absolutely any, like those subjected to heat treatment (best cooked for a couple), and raw. In the latter case, in order to increase their digestibility, vegetables can be chopped on a fine grater and seasoned with low-fat sour cream or vegetable oil. Among all the vegetables especially useful for dogs of the Chihuahua breed, is carrots. Carotene, which contains a large amount of this vegetable, fruitfully affects the condition of the coat.
As a treat your pet can be given fresh fruit. Among them, it is better to give preference to apples and bananas.
There are a number of products that can be included in the Chihuahua diet, but it does not cost more than once a week:
- Meat subducts - heart, tongue, liver, lung, kidneys - can be given to dogs, but only in a boiled form.
- Chicken meat is given to the pet no more often than two or three times a month, exclusively boiled, as raw chicken can contain a dangerous salmonella virus. Before serving, you need to remove all the bones from the meat, since chihuahua can choke them with small pieces, remove the skin. Enter the chicken meat into the dog menu with caution, since it is considered to be quite allergenic.
- Fish - sea fish can be offered to the pet more often - twice a week. It is worth choosing low-fat species, it should be boiled or steam, thoroughly cleaned from bones.
- Eggs - one egg per week is enough, it is given to the pet in the form of an omelet or boiled and chopped. You can serve yourself, or adding to other foods. Raw eggs are not recommended.
Chihuahua are special pets that need a diet correction. What other dogs need, this is strictly forbidden:
- Raw meat - only in boiled form, or, as a last resort, scalded with boiling water. Pork is forbidden to give (neither raw, nor boiled).
- All confectionery products - chocolate, sweets, wafers and others, should be completely excluded from the diet, as their consumption entails various health problems - disruption of the digestive system, destruction of tooth enamel, and development of lacrimation .
- Fried and fatty - harmful food not only for this breed, but for other dogs and even for humans.
- Milk - in some breeds it causes laxative effect, and chihuahuas are also related to this category of pets.
- Pollock and river fish - for many reasons, they should not be in the dog's menu.
In addition, this group of products also includes nuts, onions, all beans, salted and spicy dishes.
An example of the daily ration of an adult Chihuahua
The amount of food for this small breed is calculated as follows - from 60 to 80 grams of food per 1 kilogram of body weight. Thus, a two-kilogram pet will require an average of 140 grams of finished products a day. 65-70% of them must be protein in composition, for the remainder all the other components are.
The answer to the question, how many times a day to feed the chihuahua - 2 times, divided into morning and evening feeding. And in breaks it is permissible to treat your four-legged friend with various delicacies - special bones, rye crumbs, dry biscuit type biscuits.
Food must be warm, and the pet should have 24-hour access to drinking water.
The dog menu may look like this:
- Morning feeding - lean meat (better beef, veal) or fish (steam or boiled), cut into small pieces, with the addition of cereal cooked from rice or buckwheat. The ratio of products should be as follows - three pieces of meat to one part of the cereal. Supplement the dish can be grated raw vegetables - squash, carrots, tomatoes, seasoned with a teaspoon of sunflower or olive oil.
- Daily snack - you can give the dog only one product - fresh fruit, kefir or curdled milk, low-fat cottage cheese. Sometimes it can be an egg omelet or yolk.
- Evening feeding - meat, cooked or processed with boiling water with steamed or steamed chopped vegetables.
Features of nutrition of breeding dogs and puppies
Naturally, the pregnant animal needs a special diet, as, indeed, the nursing mother and her little children. First of all, you need to increase the amount of foods rich in calcium in your diet: cottage cheese, cheese, apples, cauliflower, and oatmeal.
Since during pregnancy in the dog's body there is a process of supersaturation of proteins, it is necessary to remove all meat and fish food from the diet of the future mother a week before the birth.
What to feed a chihuahua puppy? Puppies from the age of three weeks can be introduced as a meat meat - minced meat from low-fat varieties of beef or veal. For the first time, its number should not exceed one pea.
Gradually, the portion should be increased, and a month the puppy can already eat porridge with meat and yogurt.
Ready-made chihuahua food
If the owner decided to feed the pet with special feeds, then this definitely makes the task easier. Do not need to carefully calculate the necessary rate, just look at the table indicated on the package. It can easily determine the portion for one feeding, knowing only the weight of your little pet.
Dry food for such crumbs is released in the form of small granules (the larger the pet, the larger they will be), which can be given in dry form, or pre-soaked in a small amount of water. Canned the same feed is preferable to give in the form in which they are.
Feeds made with the latest technology, attract pets as much as natural products. In addition, manufacturers take into account the balance of nutrients, calculated for a certain type of dogs and their condition (elderly, young, large, small, bearing puppies, etc.) Therefore, you can be sure that the pet will get everything necessary for its growth and full development. With this type of feeding, the dog does not need additional vitamin-mineral supplements, since they are already part of the feed.
After eating a pet, only the wet food left in the bowl should be cleaned, the dry one can be kept there permanently. It does not deteriorate and can retain its properties at room temperature. This is convenient, if there is no time to wait, when the dog is completely saturated.
There are many different companies specializing in the production of dog food. And if there is a desire to give your pet all the best, it is necessary to choose the famous brands that are checked by large breeders and refer exclusively to the premium category. Feeds of this type are made from high quality products and are enriched with the necessary additives. In addition, you can consult about the feed with experienced chihuahua breeders. To choose the owner for your favorite pet, it is important to maintain a balance in nutrition.