The Chow Chow is a bear dog from China with a very charismatic character. This is a representative of one of the oldest breeds. The owners of such pets speak with one voice - a chow chow is a very difficult dog, requiring a special approach. But if contact is established, then the dog will be loyal and faithful friend, watchful guard and companion.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы чау-чау 2. Description of Chow Chow
- Характер представителей породы 3. The nature of the breed
- Особенности дрессировки 4. Features of training
- Уход за чау-чау 5. Caring for Chow Chow
- Как кормить собаку 6. How to feed a dog
- Фото чау-чау 7. Chow Chow Photos
- Видео о чау-чау 8. Chow Chow Videos
- Сколько стоит щенок породы чау-чау 9. How much is a chow-chow puppy?
- Питомники чау-чау 10. Chow Chow Kennels
Scientists conducted a series of DNA tests and found out an amazing thing - dogs of this breed were among the first to evolve from their wild ancestors - wolves. It happened in the Chinese and Mongolian steppes. A little later, chow chows were used as guards, sled dogs, in hunting and reindeer herding. Purebred breed supported Buddhist monks, they also engaged in their breeding and recorded data, which can be called a pedigree book.
The blood was refreshed, but was used for this by manufacturers from other monasteries. The author of the first description of dogs of this breed that fell into the territory of Europe was the traveler from Italy, Marco Polo. Due to the fact that China was in voluntary isolation for a long time, dogs of this breed entered the European countries only in the 30s of the 19th century.
Modern chow-chows are the result of the painstaking selection work of the British; they made the dogs more decorative, although their working qualities were preserved.
Description of Chow Chow
Representatives of this breed have a well-balanced body, the appearance of a lion, they are stately and show with all their appearance that they are proud of their appearance and have a sense of their own dignity. A special sign of the breed is the purple language and an interesting walk - the dog seems to move on stilts.
According to the standard, a purebred pet should look like this:
- The head of a chow-chow is large, with a flat, well-filled skull under the eyes and with a slight transition from the frontal lobe to the muzzle. The dog's ear is large, wide, almost always pigmented in black. In dogs with a white or pale-yellow shade of coat, light coloring is allowed, and dogs of blue and red color are natural. The muzzle is wide, and does not sharpen to the lobe, like in many breeds, the lips and palate are painted black-black. The preferred color of the gums is black.
- The jaws are strong, with healthy, white teeth, forming a regular, scissor bite.
- The eyes are small, oval-shaped, with a dark iris. Auricles are medium in size, fleshy, with rounded ends, standing. Their performance gives the dog a somewhat inhospitable appearance.
- The back is shortish, straight, goes into a strong lower back. The chest is wide, powerful, with arched, but not barrel-shaped ribs.
- The tail , high, lay on his back.
- Were limbs direct, with muscular, slanting shoulders. The rear are characterized by well-developed muscles. Paws on the "cat type" - small in size, rounded, stand on the fingers.
The dog has a peculiar "stilted" gait, a short, small step. In long-haired Chows, the coat is rather long, slightly coarse, characterized by density and uniformity, the undercoat is abundant, soft and fluffy. On the neck, the hair is elongated, forms a rich collar, the same is observed on the limbs, forming abundant pants for the dog. In the short-haired breed, the coat is short, thick, plush, and the guard hair is straight and does not adhere to the skin.
In total there are 5 types of coat color:
- Red. It varies from dark shades of mahogany to light golden-red tones with white markings in the area of the tail, limbs and neck. Puppies with a red color are born with mouse-brown fur and often with a dark mask. With the maturation of the dog, the mask disappears.
- The black. Most dogs with a similar color are plain. However, less often there is wool of a silvery shade in the tail or legs. In dogs kept in outdoor conditions, the coat may become discolored and get a chocolate tint, a phenomenon called rust. But experts warn that there is no separate chocolate color for dogs of this breed.
- Cream. In most cases, it is an ivory shade, very close to dairy and even white. But with age in some individuals it may darken to yellow-brown undertones. Representatives of this color are extremely rarely exposed, since their nose is transformed from black to brown with age, and this is a disqualifying attribute.
- Blue. Wool gray-steel color, silver shades are possible. Tones range from dark gray-blue to light bluish silver. Individuals with this color have a salt-and-pepper mask, as there is wool on the limbs. This is the only Chow Chow where a black nose is optional, however, brown is not allowed.
- Cimt The color of the wool, which is difficult to describe, but the British call it muruhim. There are several variations of it - from light beige tones, with an admixture of gray or pink, to dark shades that do not reach the intensity to red. Dogs with a similar color have a pepper and salt shade mask on their faces.
The ability of representatives of this breed to change the color of wool with age, sometimes, misleads inexperienced dog breeders who incorrectly evaluate the color of pets. In this case, it is recommended to seek advice from experienced breeders.
The nature of the breed
If we talk briefly about the character of the Chow, then these are independent, rather arrogant dogs with innate distrust of strangers. They are so sure of themselves and love to dominate that they don’t really like other dogs and often show aggression towards them. To smooth out similar traits of character, it is necessary to raise a pet from an early age.
Most often in the family, the dog himself appoints a master, whom he will obey later, but this is on condition that the person can show that he is the leader in the family. For the rest, the dog will be friendly, but no more. A chow-chow is not a nanny, she is indifferent to children, but will not allow herself to be mocked.
Pet will be more docile and docile, if more often load it with physical and intellectual loads. The activity of the representatives of this breed is not very different, in addition, if other dogs meet the owners with unrestrained enthusiasm, the chow-chow can only tail their tail a couple of times and continue their interrupted activity.
Chows have a habit of choosing their own place in the house on their own and changing it periodically. This allows them to observe everything that happens in the house. Such a pet is not a bastard, and if he has already cast a vote, it means there is a good reason for this. The interaction of children with chow-chows should take place under the supervision of adults, but the teenager can be trusted with the age of 14-15, but not earlier.
The pet never imposes its company, in this matter it is extremely delicate, but it can “regret” the owner if he is upset. If the dog growls, then he, most likely, is dissatisfied with something, and during the reverse situation you can hear a bear rumbling from him. A puppy of such a breed can be turned on by people who do not lead an active lifestyle, since the Chow-Chows do not need long, too active walking.
Features dog training
Already from the description of the character it is clear that with the training of chow-chow difficulties may arise, this is confirmed by the feedback from the owners. Yes, the dog without any special hunt does the job, but before that, it can reflect for a while. And if he nevertheless decides to execute the command, he does everything slowly, before this he sighed heavily. Many people mistakenly associate it with the laziness or stupidity of dogs, but the thing is in their stubbornness.
It is important to teach your pet “good” manners from an early age and to ensure that it learns a set of basic commands. It is important not to lose enthusiasm and consistently solve the problems of raising a new family member. If at least once the owner will give up and forgive the dog for disobedience or failure to complete the task, the dog will make the most of his advantage and take on the role of leader.
To prevent this from happening, you need to show your superiority even in small things. Only the owner can choose the route of the walk, the first to enter at any door, the first to eat. It should be borne in mind that once the dogs of this breed had to solve a number of tasks on their own, so they will never blindly execute commands without thinking about them. Therefore, it is necessary to be patient. However, having comprehended and having completed the task, the dog will have the acquired skill for the whole life.
Canine experts recommend to take into the house a chow-chow at puppy age, this will allow to correct his behavior. But an adult dog will not be reformed. Experts advise against being rude when training a pet, it will significantly worsen relations with a four-legged friend.
Chow Chow Care
In compulsory care needs wool coat pedigreed dogs. To make the fur look well-groomed and not fall into lumps, it is enough to carefully comb it out 2-3 times a month using a massage brush with stiff bristles. Chow chows are not big water lovers, so they do not climb into puddles and ponds, as a result of which they are not often polluted. Bathe them rarely, always in warm water and using special detergents.
Standard dogs shed every six months in spring and autumn, and considering their rich fur coat, this process is rather intensive. In order to have as little wool as possible in an apartment, during these periods it is better to comb a pet more often. The claws of the chow are soft and require regular cutting every 3-4 weeks. Ears should be inspected weekly, but no more than once a month should be cleaned with a sanitary napkin.
Chow chows are suitable for both street and home content, and the first option is preferable. Yet the dog is not small and needs a spacious room or courtyard. In the hot summer period you need to take care of a place where the dog could hide from the sun, avoiding sun and heat stroke.
Even if the dog is kept outside, he still needs regular daily walks. In addition, it is necessary to periodically lower the pet off the leash in a safe place so that it frolics, especially if it is an apartment dog.
How to feed a dog
Having decided to start a chow-chow, future owners should know that the representatives of this breed are prone to food allergies. So, the selection of the diet can be quite difficult. Experts warn that the owner should decide whether it is natural feeding or ready-made rations, but in no case is not a mixed diet.
Choosing a dry food, you need to give preference only to premium and super premium brands. They do not contain harmful components or low-quality ingredients, which are obtained from the waste of meat production.
If the owner prefers natural products, then the basis of the chow-chow diet should be meat - beef, veal, turkey, boiled offal. It is also important that the dog receives the fiber contained in plant foods - cereals, vegetables. You can cook rice, buckwheat porridge, adding meat components at the end of cooking and flavoring with vegetable oil.
Vegetables - cabbage, zucchini, carrots, greens, sweet peppers, lettuce give both raw and boiled. Even dogs need dairy products that do not contain artificial additives and sugar - cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt, yogurt. Such food allows you to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract and fill the lack of trace elements. With any type of food, you should take care that your pet has round-the-clock access to clean drinking water, especially if the dog eats dry food.
Read more about how and what to feed the dog .
Chow Chow Photos
Chow Chow Video
How much is a chow-chow puppy
Bred pets are expensive. But there are no problems with acquiring a puppy, as chow-chows are quite common throughout the world, including in Russia. Buy a puppy that does not have documents, it is possible for 20,000-30000 thousand rubles. A baby from the nursery - from good parents who have documentation, pet or bridge class will cost 40000-80000 rubles. If you need a pet for an exhibition career that is fully suitable for all items of the standard, then prices here range from 85,000 to 120,000 rubles.
Chow-chow - a beautiful dog with amazing appearance. But to acquire such a four-legged friend, based only on these data, is not recommended. Representatives of this breed are stubborn, characteristic, and even arrogant, and in order for the dog to trust completely, you will have to work hard. If you are ready for this, you can start searching for a suitable nursery.