In the modern world there is a growing popularity of dogs of ornamental breeds - pets, who act as companions and accompany owners everywhere. And in this category is the Brussels Griffon - a dog that once was a rat-catcher in the peasants, later lived in the palace chambers, and today is an excellent favorite, devoted and inquisitive.
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Описание породы брюссельский гриффон 2. Description of the breed of Brussels Griffon
- Нрав и особенности характера 3. Character and Characteristics of Character
- Воспитание и обучение 4. Education and training
- Как ухаживать за питомцем 5. How to care for the pet
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Режим и рацион кормления 7. Regimen and diet of feeding
- Особенности содержания питомца 8. Peculiarities of the pet's content
- Фото брюссельского гриффона 9. Photos of Brussels Griffon
- Видео о брюссельском гриффоне 10. Video about Brussels griffon
- Выбор и покупка щенка 11. Choosing and buying a puppy
History of origin
The birthplace of griffons is Belgium, it was here that this breed originated and for several centuries its development and formation took place. The ancestors of the "Brusselians" are considered to be "stabled griffons" - moving and yokish dogs that lived at the stables and engaged in catching rats. There is reliable information, according to which these dogs existed in the 15th century.
As a separate species, the Brussels Griffon participated in a local exhibition in 1880, the official recognition of the breed took place almost a quarter of a century later. It is surprising that in Belgium, the breed has practically disappeared, but it has gained immense popularity in the United States, it is here that breeders actively engaged in the improvement and breeding of the "Brussels" and became the main suppliers of livestock.
They were also interested in England, where the selection work was conducted. As a result, Brussels griffons have acquired modern characteristics, and today these frenzied doggies can be found in different countries.
Description of breed Bruxelles griffon
Griffon is a small, amusing dog who has a vivid mind, he closely watches what is happening around him and thanks to his vigilance, it's hardly likely to pass unnoticed by him.
Like other griffons, "brussels" have a special form of nose and mustache, thanks to which the muzzle of the dogs looks very like a monkey. But these doggies, despite their decorativeness and original appearance, are by no means pampered creatures, in fact, they are hardy, energetic dogs, with strong bones.
Sexual dimorphism is clearly traced - it is possible to distinguish a male and a female visually, although they do not differ in size. The standard does not include a rigid restriction on the growth and weight of dogs, but there are still preferred sizes. It is desirable that the growth ranged from 18 to 20 cm, and the weight was from 2.7 to 4.5 kg.
Pure breed representatives, in accordance with standard data, are described as follows:
- Head - round, fairly large, with a wide forehead and a sharp transition to the bridge of the nose and muzzle. The length of the muzzle does not exceed 1.5 cm, although in short-haired griffons it may look a little longer than it actually is.
- Teeth - not too large, form a dense row, normally the bite should be in the form of a small snack, giving the dog a little fighting look.
- The nose of the nose is compact, black, flat, has a distinct dividing groove, the nostrils are wide, well open. If you look from the side, the tip of the nose and forehead are located on one line, that is, the lobe is pressed.
- Eyes - round in shape, slightly convex, widely spaced, with expressive, rather intelligent look and lively shine. The eyelids are "dry", fit well, hide the white of the eyes and the third eyelid. Iris is pigmented in a dark brown hue.
- Ears - in a natural form, they rise in the base on cartilages, the upper part is thin, hangs, with a rounded tip. The standard allows ears of both medium size and large when they hang forward and on each side of the muzzle. If the owner wishes, then the ears can be docked, but then the ears take a standing position.
- The trunk is square, it is desirable that the length of the back and the growth are the same size.
- The neck is strong, not too long and without heaviness, harmonious.
- The withers are moderately elevated, the shoulder girdle is wide.
- The sternum is not very wide, it is lowered to the elbows. Kiel and ribs are round in shape, but not barrel-shaped.
- The back is straight, turns into a convex loin and strong, wide croup, with a slope in the thigh region, and the abdominal line is well-pulled, but without dryness.
- The limbs are straight, set wide, parallel to each other, with elbows pressed to the chest and lowered hocks. The brush is compact, the fingers are tightly compressed, the pads and claws are pigmented with dark color.
- Tail - set high, sturdy at the base, when moving up high enough, the tip goes to the back, but without bending and does not touch the body.
According to generally accepted rules, individuals are allowed to look at both the natural tail and ears, and with the stopped ones. But today there is a tendency to refuse such procedures, therefore at international exhibitions, cupping can be perceived negatively.
Coat and colors
The wool of Brussels Griffons is stiff, with a small wave. Color red, allowed the presence of a small number of black hairs in the mustache and beard.
Character and Characteristics of Character
Of course, each individual is individual, but still the representatives of one breed have a set of common qualities and characteristics. Most of the "brussels" are shy dogs who do not trust very much with strangers, and only one owner, who is unlimitedly loyal, is chosen in the family.
Such a pet is a companion to the marrow of bones, he can not bear long loneliness. Left alone, the dog becomes very noisy - in every possible way it shows anxiety, whines, barks, worries.
Griffons need stability, they get used to new conditions. When moving a dog can be very stressed, so if the family changes their place of residence frequently, it is better to consider representatives of more mobile breeds as a pet.
By temperament type, Brussels Griffon is a sanguine person, he loves to be in the center of attention, frolic, play. His curiosity does not allow the dog to pass by anything new, whether it's a package or a box, he will certainly put his short nose in them.
Do not look that this is a small dog, he has a strong character with a tendency to dominate. He will certainly try to command, and this applies to both people and other pets.
In the past, the Brusselians played the role of hunters and guards and some of the qualities they retained at the genetic level. For example, a dog can aggressively treat outsiders who want to get too close to the owner.
It is not recommended to take a Griffon puppy to a family where there are small children. This is due to the fact that such a pet will not tolerate excessive obsession, negligent attitude, very sensitive to screaming. If the child will cause a dog pain, even if it is inadvertently, he can snap and even bite.
A pet likes to be in the center of attention, and if the owner is overly keen on his four-legged friend, he, without realizing it, cultivates negative character traits in him. Pesic becomes too demanding and selfish. Therefore, if a young family planning future children wants to start a dog, it is worth choosing a puppy of another breed.
The Brusselsman does not get along well with his relatives, he is loyal to cats. But he will always consider rodents as an excellent prey. If the family wants to have a couple of griffons at once, then it is desirable that they have different sexes, as the two males will necessarily compete, trying to occupy a leading position.
It is not recommended to start a similar dog if there is already a dog in the house of a serious watchdog or fighting breed - the Caucasian sheepdog, alabai, mastino, etc. In this case, aggression is possible on the part of larger congeners.
The Brussels Griffons have a very developed territoriality, so they quickly get used to being alone, voice at any rustle, informing the whole district about it. This behavior is desirable to adjust in puppyhood, in order to avoid serious problems in the future.
Education and training
Training puppy of this breed - it's very interesting and exciting, the kid aspires to learn as much as possible knowledge in a short time. But growing up, the pet begins to "probe" the owner, figuring out what can be done, and what not. It is important in such situations to show firmness and prove to the pupil his leadership position.
Scolding a pet during training is not recommended - he sensitively catches the change of mood, begins to worry, ceases to obey. This doggie requires respect, because he knows his own worth.
Griffon does not cost a week to fully master the basic program, which includes such mandatory commands as "to me!", "Place!", "To lie!", Etc. It is important that the dog fulfill them on demand, without thinking and not evading the task.
If the dog does an excellent job, after each team should be encouraged. When training does not work, it is worthwhile to review the methods used and choose a more effective approach.
To work together was effective, it is important that the pet feel the support and love of the owner, he will necessarily show reciprocal feelings, trying to please the owner. In such a case, you can train a doggie for the most incredible and fun tricks.
Pesic is very active, even after intensive training, you can offer him a game or jog. In fact, this kid does not need additional work, he can spend excess energy, running and playing in the house.
How to care for a pet
Hard, thick coat of the dog does not require too troublesome care. Like other representatives of the rough-haired breeds, they need regular trimming - plucking dead wool, which is carried out every 3-4 months from the zoosalon. In addition, the owner can master this procedure and perform it at home on his own.
Specialists also advise the pet to hygienic haircut, cutting off excess wool from the auricles, in the groin, on the paws and between the fingers.
To bathe a pet is often not recommended, it is washed only as needed. Use detergents suitable for this type of wool. After walking, it is necessary to wipe the paws with a damp napkin.
Ears and eyes should be inspected regularly, and if necessary, rinsed with a special cleanser or a moistened cotton disc, cleansing of contaminants and preventing the development of infections.
Brussels Griffons are prone to gum disease, so you should clean your pet every week with toothpaste and a brush purchased at a pet store. To brush your teeth you need to accustom your pet from puppyhood, then he will perceive such a procedure calmly and without excessive aggression.
Claws need to be cut with a dog, as if it is not done, there will be a violation of the position of the fingers, and the dog will limp.
Griffons - charismatic and charming, while they have quite strong immunity. They are quite resistant to catarrhal and viral diseases. However, these pets may become ill, and more often the following pathological conditions are diagnosed in them:
- complicated delivery;
- eye diseases - eyelash deformation, loss of the eye from the orbit, development of cataracts;
- deformational changes in the respiratory tract - often there are individuals with an excessively twisted nose or narrowed nostrils.
When purchasing a puppy, the future owner is advised to make sure that the baby does not inherit hereditary pathologies. Usually their presence is revealed by 3 months of age.
Diet regimen and diet
Griffons have an excellent appetite, but the cynologists advise feeding such a favorite with ready-made dry diets, the composition of which is well balanced. It should be a high-quality product suitable for active miniature breeds.
You can not overfeed your pet, while training yummy it is better to use as little as possible. On the bearded muzzle, pieces of food can accumulate, so after feeding it is worth wiping it with a damp cloth.
As soon as the dog has eaten, the bowl should be cleaned immediately, as the "insatiable" pet can constantly poke into it, showing all the appearance that he is incredibly "hungry", besides provoking a real feeling of hunger.
Peculiarities of the pet's content
Dogs of this breed are suitable for both living quarters and living in a private house, in both cases the pet will feel comfortable.
Walking with griffon should be twice a day, the minimum duration of walking is 20 minutes. This is quite enough for the dog to do all his "tricks" and get the necessary load. It is important that the paddock is active, the dog needs to run, jump, frolic.
For frosty and wet weather, the pet should have special clothes - winter warmed and waterproof for the off-season. It will protect the pet from hypothermia and pollution.
It is desirable to provide a pet with toys that will brighten up his loneliness and save furniture and shoes.
Photo of Brussels Griffon
Video about Brussels griffon
Choosing and buying a puppy
Unfortunately, Brussels Griffons are a rare breed, so finding a suitable nursery can be difficult. Yes, there are private breeders, but among them is only to be considered those who are serious about breeding and follow all the rules.
When choosing it is desirable to look not only at the baby, but also appreciate the exterior of the parents. It is important to look at the pedigrees to find out about the existing diseases. Conscientious breeders have nothing to hide, and they are sympathetic to such requests.
The cost of puppies, depending on the class, varies from 15,000 to 40,000 rubles. A lower price may be in the offspring without a pedigree or with certain deviations.
Brussels Griffon - a kind of doggie, a modest size with a special character. Not all fit this pet, so it is desirable to learn all the details about the breed before the baby crosses the threshold of the house.