Boston Terrier is a dog that has exquisite manners, a sharp mind, and he can be very capricious, stubborn. This is an excellent companion, cheerful, active, and his touchingly charming appearance can not leave anyone indifferent. What is important to know the future owners of this extraordinary dog?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы бостон терьер 2. Description of the Boston Terrier breed
- Особенности нрава и характера бостон-терьеров 3. Peculiarities of character and character of Boston terriers
- Воспитание и обучение питомца 4. Pet education and training
- Уход за питомцем 5. Caring for the pet
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Правила кормления 7. Feeding rules
- Содержание бостон-терьера 8. Contents of the Boston Terrier
- Фото бостон терьера 9. Photos of the Boston Terrier
- Видео о бостон терьере 10. Videos about boston terrier
- Покупка щенка 11. Buying a puppy
Origin of the breed
Work on the removal of Boston terriers began in 1861, when American breeders decided to cross two representatives of English breeds - terriers and bulldogs. Then the bulldogs looked different - they were massive dogs with short limbs, but rather active.
English same terriers, which today, unfortunately, disappeared, were dogs with voluminous sternum, strong neck and muscular paws. They were actively used for hunting and extermination of rodents.
In 1878, the first performance of the breed took place at an exhibition in Boston. Several individuals became participants, but then they were called "bull terriers". Later they were called bull-heads, bul-and-terriers, American bull terriers.
Later, when it was possible to obtain the same type, a standard was developed, the breed received official recognition. Today, Boston terriers are popular not only at home, but also in other countries, although they have not received the same distribution as French bulldogs.
Description of breed boston terrier
Boston Terrier - strong, energetic dog, owner of a muscular body and aristocratic charm. Already looking at him, it becomes clear that this is an intelligent, hardy and determined dog that will not pass before difficulties.
When assessing an individual of this breed, judges pay attention to the harmony, proportionality of the build. An equally important aspect is the drawing of the wool cover - the spots should be located in a certain way.
Sexual dimorphism in Boston terriers is well pronounced - males have a larger size, they are much more courageous than females. The growth of the representatives of the breed is equal to the length of the back, the weight of the body can be of three types: light - does not exceed 6.8 kg, medium - 6.8-9 kg, heavy - 9-11.3 kg.
According to the standard, thoroughbred pets look like this:
- Head of a square format, tightly skinned, with a broad forehead and pronounced cheekbones and eye sockets. The stop is well visible, with a smooth curve. Lips fleshy, but not raw, upper covers the lower jaw. The muzzle is also in the form of a square, shorter than the frontal region.
- Bostons are not fighting dogs or dogs for baiting, as their closest relatives, so their jaws do not differ in power, teeth of small size, strong, lower create an even row. It is allowed two types of bites - the type of "mites" (straight) or bulldogs. In the first case, the lower jaw slightly bends upward.
- Nose large, nostrils well-defined, open, divided by straight groove.
- Eyes large, rounded, widely spaced, straight. The look is intelligent, benevolent, with gay sparkles. Iris should be as dark as possible.
- Ears of small size, standing, widely spaced, with rounded ends. Allowed in a docked form - classic pointed, in the form of triangles.
- The body is square, with a proportional curved neck, which smoothly passes into the withers. The back creates a straight line, wide, a breast of moderate width, lowered to the level of elbows. The croup has a small bevel, its width is equal to the size of the shoulder girdle.
- The limbs are slightly elongated, but not without harmony. The forelegs are parallel to each other, located under the withers, the elbow joints are pressed against the chest. The hindquarters have well-defined bends, special attention is paid to the knees - according to the standard they do not have to be straight.
- The brush is collected in a neat lump, round in shape, claws short.
- The tail is located and rushes low, it is shortened, neatly shaped, to the tip it becomes thinner. The disadvantages include a tail that is twisted or planted high, this phenomenon will lead to a lower estimate, but if it is docked, the individual is automatically excluded from the exhibition career and breeding.
Coat and possible colors
The wool of the Boston terrier is very short, closely fitting, almost identical on all parts of the body. There are purebred individuals of three colors:
- black and white;
- kotikovogo (when artificial lighting is similar to black and white, but in natural light, the red ebb is noticeable);
A distinctive feature of the breed is the presence of a tuxedo - the thorax, the neck and muzzle areas are covered with white wool.
Features of character and character of boston-terriers
If you briefly describe the dog, then this is an excellent, vigilant guard, a positive companion and a charming friend of the family. He is a bunch of energy and, bored, able to "do things". Of course, in this case, you can not do without punishment, but do not be zealous, the Boston Terrier is a very sensitive animal, even raising your voice can cause serious grievances.
The representative of the breed is a playful, sociable pet who is happy to take part in all family events and is not averse to attracting everyone's attention. It is recommended to start a Boston terrier for families with children, the dog loves to play with toys, to carry around with balls and rings. They will certainly have joint classes that will entice both the child and the four-legged friend.
In addition, the dog easily finds a common language with other pets. It can not just coexist with other pets, it is not uncommon to have a real, strong friendship.
Problems can arise during walking - from fighting ancestors, "Boston" got some pugnacity and cockiness. Therefore, when meeting with his brothers, he can try to measure his strength. In this case it is advisable to take the pet to the place where there are no possible competitors.
As for the attitude towards man, it is not uncommon for a dog to show amazing trustfulness and even to leave with a stranger. But how does this happen, because Boston terriers are, in fact, guards? In fact, a pet can be suspicious of strangers after special training and education.
Pet education and training
Despite the fact that the breed's representatives are initially non-conflicting and obedient, they still need education and training. Puppies perfectly master the material, but they need a long-term consolidation of the acquired knowledge and skills - the owner should be better equipped with patience.
It is recommended to be engaged with the favorite on a special platform. Of course, the dog will be constantly distracted by extraneous stimuli, but this will help him learn obedience more quickly. In addition, this is an important moment of socialization and the opportunity to see how adults behave, educated brethren.
Boston terriers are very emotional, so it's important not to stint on the well-deserved praise during training. Pesik should associate learning with joy, eagerly waiting for the next classes. If you treat rascal "disciples" with rudeness, then his attitude towards learning will change dramatically - the dog will be perceived as a duty, executing commands somehow, just to be left behind.
As already noted, these dogs have a thin, short coat that does not require complex care. They weakly weed and periodically brush the pet with a stiff brush and work with a rubber glove so that the wool cover shines and looks good.
A shortened muzzle of a dog should be wiped every day with a damp cloth, removing contaminants and food residues. Bathing dogs rarely, only when there is a need, as the pollution. The claws of the animals are cut using a claw, when they grow.
Eyes - one of the weaknesses of the "Boston", they need to be inspected regularly and at the primary signs of infection washed with an antiseptic and seek veterinary care. Otherwise, the further development of the infectious process will cause severe damage to the visual apparatus.
Bostons are not working dogs, which means they do not need intensive workload. It's enough to walk a pet twice a day, play with him, and visit the playground a couple of times a week. These dogs have scanty fur, which means they can not tolerate too low and high temperatures. During these periods, the time for walking should be reduced, in the heat to take the pet out onto the street in the evening and in the morning.
Unfortunately, Boston terriers can not be attributed to owners of good health, more precisely, their health often becomes the main problem. First of all, the violations are associated with a specific, brachycephalic shape of the skull, which provokes a number of diseases. But most pathologies are not fatal, and pets live their 12-14 years, rarely there are individuals living 15-16 years.
The structure of the skull is so changed in the selection process that even a distant head does not resemble the head of a terrier. But internal organs did not adapt to changes, and Bostons suffer from breathing disorders. This is expressed in the form of wheezing, snoring and snorting. Because of shortness of breath, it is recommended to take breaks during classes so that the dog can relax and catch his breath.
In addition, such a pet should be protected from heat, since it has high risks of obtaining a sunstroke. More often than not other diseases in the representatives of this breed are diagnosed deafness, cataract, allergy.
Owners of bitches should know that puppies are born large-headed, so in most cases they are born with the help of caesarean section.
Dogs of this breed have a small stomach, so even an adult pet is recommended to feed no more than 2 times - in the morning and evening hours. In the morning, more food should be given, leaving a more modest portion for the evening.
Owning a Boston terrier is important to pay attention to the following nuances:
- It is forbidden to give food to a pet immediately after walking or exercise;
- most of the diet should consist of products that are sources of animal protein;
- you can not both overfeed and undernourish the pet.
Once the puppy appears in the house, feed it at least 6 times a day. Gradually, the number of feedings decreases. Adult 2-storied food can be transferred to the dog already by 9-10 months of age.
With natural feeding in the dog's menu it is necessary to include the following products:
- fish - sea or river, cooked and peeled from bones;
- meat - the minimum amount - 40% of the total food volume; 70% of the norm should be given in raw form, 30% - cooked;
- cottage cheese - best suited fat-free, especially important in the first year of life;
- vegetables with herbs - make up a quarter of the diet, they should be rubbed and added to the main dishes; you can put them out in cream;
- eggs - give 3-4 times a week, boiled, raw, omelet; but it's an adult dog, puppies treat only boiled egg yolks no more than once a week.
A great snack for Bostons is a piece of fresh apple. It is useful for the condition of the teeth and improves digestion and peristalsis.
To avoid serious problems with the gastrointestinal tract, it is necessary to exclude tubular bones from the menu of the pet. In addition, the list of prohibited foods includes the following food:
- confectionery, especially chocolate;
- Smoked meat, salted, marinated, fatty dishes;
- food with spicy spices and seasonings.
Modern owners often decide to feed their four-legged friend with dry production feeds. At its selection it is possible to consult with the breeder or the veterinary surgeon.
Some manufacturers have a range of rations developed specifically for feeding dogs of this breed, for example, Brit Premium Junior (for puppies and young individuals) or Brit Premium rice with lamb (hypoallergenic diet).
When feeding with dry food it is important that the dog has round the clock access to clean drinking water.
Contents of the Boston Terrier
Dogs of this breed are very compact, so you can get such a pet even in a small apartment. Because of the short coat, Bostons are suitable for keeping only indoors and in no case on the street. In addition, the dog needs regular communication, which is impossible when living a pet outside the home.
It is advisable to equip the place away from drafts and heaters, it must be warm and moderately light. It is desirable that the pet from his couch could keep family members in sight. Playful Boston needs toys and various fun, not allowing him to miss when there is no one in the house.
Photo of boston terrier
Video about boston terrier
Buying a puppy
Despite the fact that the distribution of Boston terriers is inferior to dogs, very similar to them - French bulldogs, the breed is not rare. There are mono-nurseries on the territory of Russia, and many breeders are engaged in breeding of Bostons.
In Moscow, there are 2 nurseries in which you can buy purebred puppies:
- Gold Rossi http://www.zrossy.ru/kont.html;
- Boston Style http://www.bostonterrier.ru/en/history/history_en.html.
Buying a puppy from casual vendors is highly discouraged, as representatives of this breed are prone to disease, even with a competent approach to breeding, what can we say about the results of random matings, without rejection.
The pet costly is not cheap, the kid for the soul costs about 30,000 rubles, for a puppy of the same high class - the future champion, you will have to pay about 80000-100000 rubles.
Of the Boston terrier, excellent companions are obtained - devotees, active, capable of lifting one's mood only by one appearance. Such a lump of energy brings joy, positive, a lot of positive emotions to the house, it's no wonder that the owners forgive their charming favorites petty pranks, but how else?