The Boston Terrier is a doggie with refined manners, a sharp mind, and he can be very capricious, stubborn. This is a great companion, cheerful, active, and his touching and charming appearance can not leave anyone indifferent. What is important to know the future owners of this extraordinary dog?
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы бостон терьер 2. Description of breed boston terrier
- Особенности нрава и характера бостон-терьеров 3. Features of character and character of Boston Terriers
- Воспитание и обучение питомца 4. Education and training pet
- Уход за питомцем 5. Pet Care
- Породные заболевания 6. Breed diseases
- Правила кормления 7. Feeding rules
- Содержание бостон-терьера 8. Boston Terrier Content
- Фото бостон терьера 9. Photos of the Boston Terrier
- Видео о бостон терьере 10. Video about boston terrier
- Покупка щенка 11. Buying a puppy
Work on breeding Boston Terriers began in 1861, when American breeders decided to cross two representatives of English breeds - terriers and bulldogs. Then the bulldogs looked different - they were massive dogs with short limbs, but quite active.
The English terriers, which today, unfortunately, have disappeared, were dogs with a large sternum, a strong neck and muscular paws. They were actively used for hunting and extermination of rodents.
In 1878, the first performance of the breed took place at an exhibition in Boston. Several individuals became participants, but then they were called “bull terriers”. Later they were called Bulled Heads, Bull-and-Terriers, American Bull Terriers.
Later, when it was possible to get individuals of the same type, a standard was developed, the breed received official recognition. Today, Boston Terriers are popular not only in their homeland, but also in other countries, although they have not gained the same distribution as the French Bulldogs.
Boston Terrier breed description
The Boston Terrier is a strong, energetic dog, owner of a muscular body and aristocratic charm. Already looking at him, it becomes clear that this is a smart, resilient and determined dog that will not succumb to difficulties.
When evaluating individuals of this breed, the judges pay attention to the harmony, proportionality of the physique. No less important aspect is the design of the coat - the spots should be arranged in a certain way.
Sexual dimorphism in Boston terriers is well defined - males have a larger size, they are much more courageous than females. The height of the breed is equal to the length of the back, body weight can be of three types: light - does not exceed 6.8 kg, medium - 6.8-9 kg, heavy - 9-11.3 kg.
According to the standard, pedigreed pets look like this:
- The head is square format, tightly wrapped in leather, with a broad forehead and pronounced cheekbones and eye sockets. Stop well visible, with a smooth bend. The lips are fleshy, but not raw, the upper covers the lower jaw. The muzzle is also in the form of a square, shorter than the frontal region.
- Bostons are not fighting dogs or dogs for baiting, as their closest relatives, therefore their jaws are not powerful, their teeth are small and strong, the lower ones create an even row. Two types of bites are allowed - by the type of “ticks” (straight) or bulldog type. In the first case, the lower jaw is slightly bent upwards.
- The nose is large, the nostrils are well defined, open, separated by a straight groove.
- The eyes are large, rounded, wide apart, set straight. Look smart, friendly, with funny sparkles. The iris should be as dark as possible.
- The ears are small, erect, set wide apart, with rounded ends. Allowed in a cropped form - classic pointed, in the form of triangles.
- The body is square, with a proportional curved neck, which smoothly passes into the withers. The back creates a straight line, wide, sternum of moderate width, lowered to the level of the elbows. The croup has a small bevel, its width is equal to the size of the shoulder girdle.
- Limbs slightly elongated, but not without harmony. The anterior ones are set parallel to each other, are located under the withers, and the elbow joints are pressed against the chest. The rear have well-pronounced bends, special attention is paid to the knees - according to the standard, they should not be straight.
- The brush is collected in a neat clump, rounded, short claws.
- The tail is located and carried low, it is shortened, neat in shape, becoming thinner towards the tip. The disadvantages include the tail, which is twisted or set high, this phenomenon will lead to a lowering of the score, but if it is stopped, then the individual is automatically excluded from the show career and breeding.
Coat and possible colors
The coat of the Boston Terrier is very short, tight, almost the same in all parts of the body. There are purebred individuals of three colors:
- black and white;
- Kitty (with artificial light it looks like black and white, but in natural light a red tint is clearly visible);
A distinctive feature of the breed is the presence of a tuxedo - chest, neck and muzzle covered with white wool.
Features of character and character of Boston terriers
If you briefly describe a dog, it is a great, watchful guard, positive companion and charming family friend. He is a clot of energy and, bored, able to "do things." Of course, in this case one cannot do without punishment, but one should not be zealous, the Boston Terrier is a very sensitive animal, even raising one's voice can cause serious offenses.
The representative of the breed is a playful, convivial pet, who is glad to participate in all family events and is not averse to attract everyone’s attention. It is recommended to start a Boston terrier for families with children, a dog loves to play with toys, to rush with balls and rings. They will definitely find joint activities that will enthrall both the child and the four-legged friend.
In addition, the dog easily finds common ground with other pets. She can not just coexist with other pets, often make true, strong friendship.
Problems may arise during the runs - from the fighting ancestors "Boston" got some pugnacity and cockiness. Therefore, when meeting with fellow men, he may try to measure himself. In this case, it is desirable to take the pet to where there are no possible competitors.
As for the relationship to the person, the dog often shows surprising gullibility and can even leave with a stranger. But how does this happen, because the Boston Terriers are, in fact, guards? In fact, a pet will be suspicious of strangers after special training and education.
Pet education and training
Despite the fact that representatives of the breed are initially non-conflicting and obedient, they still need training and education. Puppies are well aware of the material, but they need long-term consolidation of the knowledge and skills gained - the owner should be patient.
It is recommended to engage with a pet on a special platform. Of course, the dog will be distracted by extraneous irritants every now and then, but this will help him learn obedience faster. In addition, this is an important point of socialization and the opportunity to see how adults, educated brothers behave.
The Boston Terriers are very emotional, so it’s important not to skimp on the well-deserved praise during dog training. A dog should associate learning with joy, eagerly awaiting the next classes. If you treat the mischievous "apprentice" with rudeness, then his attitude towards learning will change dramatically - the dog will be perceived as a service, carrying out commands somehow, just to fall behind.
As already noted, these little dogs have a thin, short coat that does not require complex care. They fade weakly and periodically enough to comb a pet with a stiff brush and handle with a rubber mitten so that the coat is shiny and looks good.
The dog’s shortened face should be wiped every day with a damp cloth, removing dirt and food debris. Bathe dogs rarely, only when there is a need, as far as pollution. Pet nails are cut using nail clippers when they grow.
The eyes are one of the weak points of the “Bostons”, they should be regularly examined and, at the initial signs of infection, rinsed with an antiseptic and seek veterinary care. Otherwise, the further development of the infectious process will cause severe damage to the visual apparatus.
Bostons are not working dogs, which means they do not require intensive workload. It is enough to walk your pet twice a day, play with it and visit the site for dressing a couple of times a week. These dogs have poor fur, which means they are not able to tolerate too low and high temperatures. During these periods, the time of walking must be reduced, in the heat to bring the pet to the street in the evening and morning hours.
Unfortunately, Boston Terriers will not be attributed to the owners of good health, more precisely, their health often becomes the main problem. First of all, the disorders are associated with a specific, brachycephalic form of the skull, which provokes a number of diseases. But the majority of pathologies are not fatal, and the pets live at the age of 12–14 years old, less often there are individuals living for 15–16 years.
The structure of the skull is so changed in the selection process that even remotely the head does not resemble the head of a terrier. But the internal organs did not adapt to the changes, and the Bostons suffer from respiratory disorders. This is expressed in the form of wheezing, snoring and snorting. Due to difficulty breathing, it is recommended to take breaks during the classes so that the dog can relax and catch its breath.
In addition, such a pet should be protected from heat, as it has a high risk of sunstroke. Deafness, cataracts, and allergies are diagnosed most often in other diseases of this breed.
Owners of bitches should be aware that puppies are born big-headed, so in most cases they are born with a caesarean section.
Dogs of this breed have a small stomach, so even an adult pet is recommended to feed no more than 2 times - in the morning and evening. In the morning you should give more food, leaving a more modest portion for the evening.
The owners of the Boston Terrier, it is important to pay attention to the following nuances:
- It is forbidden to give a pet food immediately after walking or physical activity;
- most of the diet should consist of foods that are sources of animal protein;
- it is impossible to overfeed or underfeed a pet.
As soon as the puppy appears in the house, it will be necessary to feed him at least 6 times a day. Gradually the number of feedings decreases. A dog can be transferred to an adult 2-time meal by the age of 9-10 months.
When feeding in the dog's menu, you must include the following products:
- fish - sea or river, boiled and cleared of bones;
- meat - the minimum amount - 40% of the total food; 70% of the norm should be given raw, 30% - boiled;
- cottage cheese - fat free is best, especially important in the first year of life;
- vegetables with greens - make up a quarter of the diet, it is desirable to grind them and add to the main dishes; You can stew them in cream;
- eggs - give 3-4 times a week, boiled, raw, scrambled eggs; but this adult dogs, puppies treat only boiled egg yolk no more than 1 time per week.
A great snack for bostons is a slice of fresh apple. It is useful for the condition of the teeth and improves the processes of digestion and peristalsis.
To avoid serious problems with the gastrointestinal tract, it is worth excluding tubular bones from the menu. In addition, the list of prohibited foods includes the following foods:
- confectionery, especially chocolate;
- smoked meat, salted, pickled, fatty dishes;
- food with hot spices and seasonings.
Modern owners often decide to feed their four-legged friend with dry industrial feed. When selecting it, you can consult with the breeder or veterinarian.
Some manufacturers have a range of rations designed specifically for feeding dogs of this breed, for example, Brit Premium Junior S (for puppies and young individuals) or Brit Premium rice with lamb (hypoallergenic diet).
When feeding with dry food, it is important that the dog has round-the-clock access to clean drinking water.
Boston Terrier Content
Dogs of this breed are very compact, so you can even get such a pet in a small apartment. Because of the short wool, the Bostons are suitable for keeping only indoors and in no case outside. In addition, the dog needs regular communication, which is impossible when living pet outside the house.
The place is desirable to equip away from the draft, heating devices, it should be warm and moderately light. It is desirable that the pet with his bed could keep the family members in sight. Playful Boston needs toys and a variety of fun, not allowing him to be bored when there is no one in the house.
Photo of a boston terrier
Video about boston terrier
Buying a puppy
Despite the fact that the distribution of the Boston Terriers is inferior to dogs, very similar to them - the French Bulldogs, the breed is not rare. In Russia there are mono nurseries, and many breeders are also engaged in breeding bostons.
In Moscow, there are 2 kennels where you can buy purebred puppies:
- Gold Rossis http://www.zrossy.ru/kont.html;
- Boston Style http://www.bostonterrier.ru/ru/history/history_ru.html.
It is not recommended to buy a puppy from random sellers, as representatives of this breed are prone to diseases, and even with a competent approach to breeding, what can we say about the results of random matings, without rejection.
The pet will be expensive, the kid costs about 30,000 rubles for the soul, and the future champion will pay for the high-class puppy about 80,000-100,000 rubles.
The Boston Terrier makes excellent companions - loyal, active, capable of raising one's mood with only one appearance. Such a lump of energy brings into the house joy, positive, a lot of positive emotions, it is not surprising that the owners forgive their charming pets petty pranks, but how else?