The French Shepherd Beauceron is a unique aboriginal breed of dogs, which was formed independently, without any human activity. The number of animals is small, today there are no more than 7000 individuals, which makes these dogs even more attractive for fans of rare breeds. People who are closely acquainted with Beauceron, are perplexed how such powerful and at the same time elegant dogs, with a memorable appearance and bright character, have not won world fame. What is known about these aborigines from the French slopes?
- История происхождения 1. History of origin
- Внешнее описание породы босерон 2. External description of the Beauceron breed
- Нрав представителей породы 3. Character of the breed
- Уход и содержание босерона 4. Care and maintenance of Beauceron
- Как правильно кормить французскую овчарку 5. How to feed a French Shepherd
- Фото босеронов 6. Photos of Beauceron
- Видео босеронов 7. Beauceron videos
- Сколько стоит щенок 8. How much is a puppy
History of origin
At the beginning of the 18th century, sheep breeding was widespread in France and huge herds were grazing on the meadows. But even with a couple of hundreds of animals could cope two Beauceron. They were not only good managers, but fearless defenders of sheep from predators. They moved easily with herds of 60-80 km during the day.
In 1863, the first Parisian exhibition was held, with 13 shepherd dogs participating in it, later becoming Beauceron. The breed received its name from the geographical name - “Bos”, it is one of the regions of France. But at that time these dogs were “workhorses” and could not interest the participants of the event.
In 1896, the standard was approved in the village of Willet - the shepherd's dog with long hair was named Briard, the smooth-haired one - Beauceron. This event marked the beginning of the creation of the Beauceron Lovers Club, which at the beginning of the 20th century not only did not popularize the breed, but also cared about maintaining performance.
But cattle breeding has become less sought-after industry, the number of livestock has decreased, the need for herding dogs has also decreased. Representatives of the Beauceron breed began to be used as guards and personal defenders.
During the Second World War, these dogs became postmen (they relayed messages), sappers (they discovered mines), and also searched for saboteurs. After the war, the breed became more popular, they were actively used as companions, guards, working dogs, and, of course, shepherds, although much less frequently.
At the beginning of the 21st century, representatives of the breed came to the territory of various European states - Holland, Germany, Belgium, etc. But overseas states did not show proper interest in Beauceron. For the first time the American club of this breed appeared only in 2003.
Learn about the other biggest dogs in the world .
External description of the Beauceron breed
At the end of the 19th century, Beauceron, they are Berger de Beauce and Bas-Rouge, were described as dogs of the same type with hard, short hair, smooth coat in the head area and necessarily cropped ears.
Representatives of the breed were distinguished by brownish-red markings, which were especially well pronounced on all the extremities of the animal, for which the dogs began to be called bass-rouge, that is, “red stockings”. The Beauceron color was black and tan, less common were individuals with gray, black and red hair.
Since then, the appearance of dogs has not changed much. These are large, powerful dogs, equipped with good muscles, but without gravity. The growth of males varies between 65-70 cm, and females are slightly smaller - 61-68 cm. Beauceron proportionally and harmoniously folded. Body length is slightly longer than height at withers.
For Beauceron characterized by such features of appearance:
- The head of the dog has a sharp form with sharp lines. If you look at the profile, it is noticeable that the skull and muzzle are parallel.
- The nose ends with a developed lobe, which has a black color, there is no cleft.
- Lips tight to the jaw, have black pigmentation. The jaws of Beauceron are strong, the teeth are white. Bite on the type of "scissors".
- The eyes are slightly oval in shape, the iris is dark brown, not lighter than a dark walnut, even in dogs with a light color. Heterochromia is allowed in dogs with the harlequin color (eyes of different colors).
- The ears have a high setting, hang in their natural state or are in a half-standing position, they are not pressed against the head. According to the standard, their length should be equal to half of the head.
- The neck is equipped with developed muscles, has a smooth transition to the withers. The line of the back is straight, the loins are broad, muscular. The croup has a somewhat oblique shape. The sternum of the dog is powerful, wide, of good depth and length.
- The tail of the Beauceron is not docked, is low, in a calm state hangs down when the dog is moving - raised to the top line.
- Limbs are straight, are located with a small plumb. The forearms and thighs have pronounced muscles. Paws front and rear - collected, with black claws and hard, elastic pads. Representatives of the breed have dewclaws that have been left in their original form since the time of cattle grazing. They are full thumbs with claws.
Dogs move gently, easily. The Beceron step is a wide trot, the movements are sweeping, energetic.
- Coat in the head is different from the rest, it is short, hard, thick hair. On the hips and on the inside of the tail, the coat is somewhat longer. The undercoat is dense, dense, perfect color - gray. It is not visible under the guard hair.
There are several colors in dogs of this breed:
- Black with tan, red stockings. Black thick, rich, red squirrel. The basements are located in the eyebrows, on the sides of the muzzle, in the chest, in the lower part of the neck, under the tail, on the limbs.
- Harlequin color (blue with spots and tan): gray-black wool with tan shades, spots have a uniform distribution on the body, often the dominant color is black. The tan is no different from black individuals. The standard allowed white spot small size in the chest.
Breed of the breed is: height above or below the norm, light eyes or disagreement (except harlequins), rigidly erect ears, excessive inversion of the hind limbs, nose and cleft, color that is not suitable for standards, etc.
The nature of the breed
Despite their rural origins, the Beaucers have a noble, aristocratic look. They are characterized by calm and boundless devotion to family members. But watchfulness to strangers is always present. They are distinguished by high intelligence, endurance, athletic build and courage. These are very efficient dogs that can guard their family day and night.
Like other service breeds, the French Shepherd requires a confident owner with experience in dog training . If you teach calmly and demandingly, then Beauceron quickly learn the material and try to please the owner with success. It is important to bear in mind that the Beauceron once lived in flocks, and their leadership qualities are clearly expressed. Therefore, it is important for the owner to take the role of a leader and to keep this position all the time.
The mind and independent nature do not allow these dogs to endure cruel treatment and injustice, therefore training should be carried out without fuss, consistently, without physical punishment. An inexperienced owner, having shown a cruel attitude towards the pet, can cause the righteous anger of the animal.
Due to the pronounced guard qualities, Beauceron will never trust in strangers, so it would be better if the dog is socialized to be the owner.
The love of these dogs for their family has no limits, meeting at the door, they can jump at full speed into their hands. Given their size, this is quite a piquant situation. With children, Beauceron can get along, but they don’t have any particular accuracy and trepidation, therefore it is not recommended to leave a pet with a small child alone. Its size can harm the baby.
It is desirable that the puppy and the child grow up together, then they will better understand each other. But, acquiring a dog, it is better to make sure that her parents treat children well.
Care and maintenance of Beauceron
Dogs are quite unpretentious. They are recommended to comb at least 1 time per week, for these purposes a massage brush for short hair will be suitable. This manipulation will remove dead skin scales, depleted hair, and also have a positive effect on blood circulation in the skin. In addition, the pet will enjoy this manipulation.
When choosing Beauceron for living in apartment conditions, it should be borne in mind that, like most herding dogs, their wool has a distinct sheep smell. Therefore, it is better to keep the dog in the aviary. Although the dog himself feels good and in a small apartment.
A dog that has such a sports constitution needs daily long runs with active jogging and games. Favorite lesson - cross-country running.
If you want to sedately walk with a beautiful dog on a harness , then Beauceron, despite its spectacular appearance, is not suitable for this. Every day he has to get rid of excess energy, training the body and pacifying the spirit. Only in this way can he be an exemplary pet at home.
Dogs can participate in almost all sports, but agility is most suitable for them - overcoming obstacles accompanied by the owner.
How to feed a French Shepherd
Beaucerons are absolutely not picky about food. They can be fed with natural food or ready-made rations. In the first case, the basis of the menu should be lean meat (except pork and lamb). You can give fish - sea boneless, pre-boiled, porridge, cooked in water or broth, vegetables - raw or boiled.
If the owner chooses feeding industrial feed, then you should choose a quality product. In puppy age, it is important that the pet gets enough calcium.
Read on: how to feed a French Shepherd .
How much is a puppy
Beauceron is a rare, unique breed, so the price of puppies is not low. Outside kennels Beauceron puppy can be purchased for 10,000-200,000 rubles. A pet from the nursery will cost about 30,000 rubles, a dog for future breeding - approximately 40,000. And the future champion and successor of the breed (puppy of a show class) - no less than 50,000 rubles.
Beauceron - dogs with a serious appearance and with no less serious character. They can not be a toy of children, require a firm hand and compulsory education. Choosing such a friend, you need to take all this into account. With proper education, he will become an excellent guard.