Dogue de Bordeaux - the name of the breed, which is unfamiliar, but the dogs themselves are quite popular, their second name is French mastiffs. These formidable crepes often take part in cinema and cartoons, as they have a rather colorful appearance. Often they play negative characters, but, in fact, Bordeaux dogs are the sweetest and kindest creatures who successfully play the role of companion not only for adults, but also for children.
- Происхождение породы 1. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы бордосский дог 2. Description of the breed Dogo Bordeaux
- Каков характер француза 3. What is the character of a Frenchman
- Правила содержания и ухода 4. Rules of maintenance and care
- Как и чем кормить собаку 5. How and what to feed the dog.
- Фото бордосского дога 6. Photo Bordeaux Mastiff
- Видео бордосского дога 7. Video of Bordeaux Mastiff
- Стоимость щенка бордосского дога 8. Cost of Bordeaux puppy
Great Bordeaux is a dog from France, its ancestors are various dogs of this country. Recognition breed found in the middle of the 19th century. There is an assumption that the distant ancestors of these dogs are the Alans - an extinct Spanish breed that was used to work in the farms.
Some researchers believe that the Molossians were descended from Assyrian treaties - intended for hunting or fighting. These giants had a frightening appearance and terrified the inhabitants of almost all countries.
During the Great Roman Empire in France, there were many different breeds originating from the Molossians, Alans, Epirus and Celtic dogs. Directly large rocks, the ancestors of the French mastiffs, were bred in the south-west of the state. It was then that they called the big guard dogs. But in the 19th century, the population of these dogs declined significantly.
The year 1863 was marked by an important event - then the first exhibition took place, where Bordeaux dogs were presented, which were able to attract the attention of dog breeders of European countries.
For three decades, the vicissitudes of judges and breeders about the standard data of this breed continued. But in 1911, this document finally saw the light. However, three years later, dog breeders put forward new requirements - to divide the single breed into two - so that the dogs whose face was decorated with a black mask were called Bordeaux mastiffs, and representatives with a red mask - Paris mastiffs.
World wars have a negative impact on the development of the breed. Great Danes from France remained in the minority and almost ceased to exist. But closer to the 50s of the 20th century, work began on the restoration of the breed. The main breed dogs that were used for the revival process were kept in French kennels.
French mastiffs came to the territory of Russia in 1991, and after 2 years 5 specimens of this breed were presented at the Moscow exhibition. In our country, these powerful beauties have become popular and loved by many dog breeders for their excellent qualities.
Dog breed of Bordeaux
The ancestors of the Bordeaux Mastiff had a frightening appearance, and some distant relatives and fierce temper. The representatives of the modern breed have radically changed their character, but in appearance there are features of harsh dogs.
Dog puppies are real sweethearts, all their features are softened. But in the process of growing up, they become more abundant, overgrow with muscle mass, gain massive, muscular, but at the same time squat build. All kind of dogs reminds that their ancestors were dogs for fighting.
There is a well-defined standard to which thoroughbred French mastiffs must conform:
- Large- sized dogs with a large head, broad sternum and a stocky body. In the area of the muzzle, Bordeaux dogs have a large number of clearly visible folds located symmetrically on both sides.
- The nose is short, ends with a wide fleshy lobe, which can be slightly upturned. There is a characteristic shift of the lower jaw forward.
- The ears are tender, medium, hanging forward, their edges are bent.
- The eyes are located at a distance, have an oval shape. Their color varies, depending on the color: from almost black to nutty.
- The expression of the muzzle of the dog is often dissatisfied or bored, but in most cases this look is deceptive.
- The physical strength of the dogs of this breed is confirmed by strong, even limbs . The tail of the dog is not docked, it has the shape of a sickle. In a quiet state hangs, but is not clamped by paws.
Highbred representative has an athletic physique. The weight of males often reaches 90 kg, and the height is 68 cm, the size of the bitches is not too different, some of them grow to 66 cm at the withers. Standards in this case are not too hard, but the Bordeaux dog-male cannot have a body weight less than 50 kg, females - 40 kg. Mastiffs can not be attributed to long-livers, their life cycle lasts from 8 to 10 years.
The color of the dogs is red, and can be of different shades, from yellowish to chestnut. On the face is a mask - black or auburn color. The coat of the Bordeaux dogs is thick, thin hair, tightly levies the body. The hair on the ears has a darker shade than on other parts of the body. The standard allowed the presence of spots on the sternum white or as a frame for the edges of the fingers. If the spots of this color are located on other parts of the body, then the dog is disqualified.
What is the character of a Frenchman
Despite the fierce appearance, the dogs of this breed have a calm, phlegmatic character, have intelligence and great devotion to the family. They are very self-sufficient and have a good memory. Naturally, there are no perfect dogs, just like humans, so you shouldn’t be cunning, talking only about the positive qualities of these four-legged friends. If you fully describe the character of this magnificent dog, you get the following picture:
- Without exaggeration, for their own can fight not for life, but for death. Poor tolerance of separation and greatly bored without owners. Among family members, he chooses a host for himself, choosing a person with a calm character more often.
- With the head of the family (the leader) he tries to keep “equal”, treats the rest of the family benevolently and even gently. Gets along very well with children and is always happy to participate in games. But its dimensions should be taken into account when communicating with kids, the dog may inadvertently harm.
- Because of its excellent guarding qualities, it can show aggression towards strangers, but does not attack without good reason. Loud bark rather is only indicative. Dog pounced only for the response. Another nuance, mastiffs are considered a direct threat to people with alcohol intoxication, therefore, smelling the smell of alcohol, they can lash out.
- They get along well with other pets under the same roof, and with proper upbringing they can even co-exist with dogs of the same sex. But such friendliness does not extend to alien animals, as a rule, conflict situations arise between males.
It is difficult to train French mastiffs without knowledge of the breed and skills. As a true phlegmatic with a developed intellect, a dog, having received a command, does not rush blindly to carry it out, but begins to think about a decision. And during this period he is deaf to other teams. Mastiffs are extremely hardy, but some laziness interferes with the 100% performance of the pets.
Bordeaux Mastiffs are also stubborn. They easily discover the weaknesses of the owner and successfully use their knowledge. Therefore, they are considered excellent manipulators.
Training will give good results if the relationship is built on equality and the use of motivational methods. Do not use brute force, because if the pet is offended, then it is a long time.
It will be interesting : the Great Dane .
Maintenance and Care Rules
Dogo de Bordeaux is designed to protect property and family members, and not the surrounding area. Therefore, it is recommended to keep it in an apartment or house. Yes, and coat confirms this. Although practiced summer street maintenance and year-round in a heated kennel. But more often dogs on the street go for a walk, run. The dog is suitable for residential conditions, however, it is necessary to consider its size.
Caring for the appearance of the mastiff includes the following procedures:
- brushing wool with a silicone or rubber brush 2-4 times a month;
- cleansing with a damp napkin or cloth folds on the face after a meal;
- inspection of the eyelids, cleaning the eyes, eating it is necessary;
- you should also inspect your ears every day, and you can clean them once a week;
- give special sticks to clean the teeth;
- claws for mastiffs should be trimmed 1-2 times per month (more about claws trimming );
- paw pads deserve attention as they may crack.
Bordeaux Dogi do not need frequent bathing, they may well be replaced by dry cleaning. Two bathing per year is enough for them.
Owners should be aware that these dogs do not tolerate heat well, so do not walk them under scorching rays, and it is recommended to take a bottle of water for walking.
How and what to feed the dog
Pet can be fed as a natural food, and industrial feed. In their diet include meat, lean, can be with veins, offal, cereal, vegetables, both raw and boiled. It is allowed once or twice a week to give sea fish, but not raw. Naturally, the portion for these powerful dogs should be decent. But you should not overfeed the mastiff, as various diseases can develop.
If the owner prefers ready-made feeds, then you should buy a quality product and only in specialized stores. It should be suitable for large breeds and contain all the necessary vitamins and trace elements. The daily feed rate depends on the size of the pet, its activity, age, features of the work of the digestive tract.
If the pet has become overweight, it is necessary to reduce the size of the portion and increase physical activity.
Photo Bordeaux Mastiff
Dogo Bordeaux video
Bordeaux puppy cost
You can buy a Frenchman exclusively as a pet for 30000-35000 rubles. A puppy that is allowed for breeding, but has minor flaws that do not allow to participate in exhibitions, costs 50000-60000 rubles. A high-class representative of the breed is even more expensive - from 75,000 to 85,000 rubles. Naturally, it is better to go to the nurseries for a purchase.
Knowing the pros and cons of the character of Bordeaux, before you decide to buy, you should soberly assess your own strength, experience and the availability of free time. If you let everything go to chance, the dog easily takes the place of the leader in the family and turns the rest of the members into his subordinates. Mind and courage at the dog for this is enough.