- Большой швейцарский зенненхунд 1. The Great Swiss Mountain Dog
- Происхождение породы 2. Origin of the breed
- Описание породы большой швейцарский зенненхунд 3. Description of the breed large Swiss Mountain Dog
- Характер гроссов 4. Nature of gros
- Дрессировка 5. Training
- Уход и здоровье 6. Care and health
- Заболевания 7. Diseases
- Кормление 8. Feeding
- Содержание 9. Table of contents
- Фото большого швейцарского зенненхунда 10. Photos of the big Swiss Mountain Dog
- Видео о большом швейцарском зенненхунде 11. Video about the big Swiss Mountain Dog
- Покупка щенка 12. Buying a puppy
Great Swiss Mountain Dog
Any of the sennenhunds, being on the street, will surely attract the attention of others, especially the big Swiss, or shortly - the gross. This is the largest representative, colorful, powerful, with a beautiful color and proud posture. The whole view of the dog seems to say that in front of you a serious animal, and really - this dog is not for the sofa. If the pet is a big Swiss mountain dog, what is important to know the owner?
Origin of the breed
Even historians did not fully understand where these beautiful dogs originated, but it is believed that among their ancestors were early mastiffs, dogs of Phoenician breeds and ancient butcher dogs. As for the large Swiss Mountain Dogs, as a separate breed, they began to develop intensively only in the early 20th century, when at one of the exhibitions Judge Albert Khayyam looked at the two participants and saw in their appearance a similarity with the ancient dogs.
Since the species was rather small, the breeding work proceeded slowly, the litters consisted of both long-haired puppies and short-haired puppies. Therefore, both those and others were attributed to the Bernese Mountain Dogs. When, as a result of crossing the Bernese and the big Swiss, only descendants with short hair turned out, after some time, the breed was clean.
These dogs have experienced both ups and downs in popularity, and today, to get a puppy, it will be necessary to make efforts and considerable funds.
Description of breed large Swiss Mountain Dog
The largest mountain Swiss Shepherd has a large size. It is a tall, harmoniously built dog with strong bones. Impressive dimensions do not make the animal awkward, the Gross is a very dexterous, mobile and hardy dog. The male from the female can be distinguished visually, the growth of the males varies within the range of 65-72 cm, the female - 60-68 cm.
According to the standard, the breed is described as follows:
- Large head , broad, but not heavy, wedge-shaped, occipital region not pronounced. The forehead is wider than the muzzle, broad, there is a furrow, smoothly passes into the bridge of the nose.
- Jaws are strong, with tightly fitting lips and strong teeth. The bite is correct, by the type of "scissors". The standard allows the absence of the first and second painters.
- The nose is large, protruding beyond the jaw line, pigmented in black. Eyes small and round. He looks wary, attentively. The color of the iris is brown.
- Ears in the form of a triangle, thick, adjacent to the head. When the dog is working or concentrating, they rise and turn forward.
- The body has a rectangular format, but without elongation, proportional. The neck is strong, of medium length, passes into a weakly prominent withers.
- The back is straight, with developed muscles, the thorax descends to the elbows, oval, with a non-convex keel bone. The croup is located on the same line with the shoulders, smoothly passes into the hips. The abdomen is pulled up, but without dryness. The skin tightens the body well, does not form a crease.
- The limbs are strong, with good, dry muscles, especially on the hips, with strong hocks, the forelegs are wider than the hind legs. Brushes large, round in shape.
- The tail is thick, the natural length persists, the dog carries it low, at the level of the spine or higher, but does not wrap up in the ring.
Coat and colors
Wool is medium or short, the undercoat is dense, abundant, preferable to black, but it can be gray. All the Mountain Dogs, including the big Swiss, have a bright color - a symmetrical tricolor.
The main tone is black, there are marks: the tips of the limbs and tail are white, the same spots are on the neck and chin, the mark in the form of a letter T on the muzzle, the separation furrow is white. And also spots of saturated red or reddish-brown hue on the brow ridges, cheekbones, cheeks, inner side of the ears, near the shoulders, the upper part of the tail from the inside, on the limbs.
It is important that the marks contrast with the rest of the color of the coat. It is inadmissible that the spots above the eye sockets and the T-shaped white zone merge.
Nature of gros
Naturally, all dogs are different and various factors influence the character, for example, the breeding line, rejection, individual characteristics, etc. But if we talk about well-educated, trained large Swiss mountain dogs, they have a stable psyche and behave predictably.
These dogs are calm, they have no tendency to sudden change of mood. Grosses are very attached to the owner and family members, like to spend time with family. From the love of such a large pet you can suffer, since the grosses are able to jump on the chest with joy. This behavior must be stopped as early as puppyhood.
It is not recommended to leave the dog alone for a long time, longing for the owner and boredom can adversely affect the behavior and character of the animal. Experienced breeders pay special attention to correcting the behavior of their pets, and the dogs are friendly and affectionate to strangers. But without early socialization, their strong guarding instinct can manifest, some grossy become excessively malevolent, while others are sneaky.
Of the great sennenhunds are excellent watchmen - vigilant and sensitive. More often than not, it's enough for ill-wishers to hear their loud, rolling barking, so that they leave the idea of invading another's territory. But this behavior also has a negative side - grossy can bark at any sounds - passing people passing by, passing vehicles, etc.
Such a pet reacts aggressively only with a real threat, its balance and composure allow before assessing the current situation before acting.
A pet who has been trained and socialized will get along well with the children. He is very accurate in communication, will not snap, if the child accidentally hurt him. Owners confirm that the sennenhunds are crazy about children and adore being close to them. But when dealing with babies a large animal can drop a crumb, so do not leave them alone.
It is important for breeders to have such large dogs as tolerant as possible to their fellows. Sennenhunds are able to get along with another dog, but can perfectly do without such a company. Dogs tend to dominate, which is often manifested in the form of aggression against other males. But this behavior speaks of insufficient or incorrect education and lack of the necessary socialization.
Swiss mountain sheepdogs are well trained, because they have high intelligence and like to please the owner. They are able to perform monotonous, monotonous tasks, for example, to transport cargo. In this there is nothing surprising - once in the Alps these dogs were successfully used as draft force.
However, the success of dressing depends largely on the owner - he must have a solid hand and control the actions of the pet. But this will not be a problem if the person has experience and knows how to show the dog that he is the leader. The owner without experience can have problems - the dog will try to dominate.
During training you can not shout, show brute force, the owner should be self-assured, collected and focused. The dog should receive clear commands, and after performance - deserved praise.
Having missed the moment of education, the owner may not notice how the pet became the leader. In this case, he will not respect the owner, obey and perform tasks. Therefore, if there are difficulties, you should seek professional help.
Care and health
These handsome people need the usual wake-up procedures:
- Combing the wool - the gros has a short coat with a soft undercoat, which moults twice a year. In normal times, once a week, to process the wool with a stiff brush, during the rink the exercise should be done once in 2-3 days, paying special attention to the chest and neck, where the hair falls out more abundantly.
- Ears and eyes - they are recommended to be checked daily if there are dirt, cleaned with a cotton disc soaked in a weak tea brew, chamomile broth or boiled water. If a suppuration is detected, it is recommended to seek advice from a vet.
- Claws and paws - active working dogs usually do not need to cut their claws, but they cut their pets home as necessary. Paw pads are regularly inspected for damage. Paws of the dog are cleaned or wiped with a damp cloth after each paddock, it is important to remove the dirt that accumulates between the fingers.
- Treatment for fleas and ticks - the more often a dog is on the street, the more often it is necessary to examine it not with a mite. Biting parasites should not be pulled out on their own, in this case, specialist help is required. It should be done every 2-3 months to wash the pet with a special shampoo with insecticidal action and apply along the spine a preparation against fleas and ticks, which is released in the form of drops - according to the instructions.
Swiss shepherds by nature have good health and endurance, they have good immunity, increased stress resistance and adaptability. But the selection still made its own adjustments, awarding representatives of the breed with hereditary diseases:
- dysplasia of the elbow and hip joint;
- entropion - turning the eyelids;
- retinal atrophy;
- allergic reactions;
- oncological diseases.
This does not mean that every dog will necessarily be sick. Most Grosses do not suffer from such ailments and live without diseases until 11-12 years.
Owners should take into account that a full diet for dogs of such large breeds is the basis for a healthy, full life. With improper feeding, the pet may have problems with bones, joints, especially in teenage puppies - they often develop irreversible processes in the joint and bone tissues.
Puppies are given food up to 6 times a day, gradually reducing the number of feedings to 2. Dogs, in fact, are predators, the main food of which is meat and a source of animal protein and useful elements. It should be given in raw form, cut into pieces and scalded with boiling water.
But this does not mean that the diet of the pet should consist only of it. It is also important for dogs to give the following products:
- by-products - kidneys, heart, lungs, etc., they are pre-cooked well;
- cereals - porridge cooked on various broths or water, add vegetables, pieces of meat, greens, you can season the dish with vegetable oil;
- vegetables - they are given both in raw and cooked form;
- fruits and berries - many dogs love them, and the preferences are different, but it is not recommended for dogs to give grapes;
- cheese - slices of low-fat product will be an excellent incentive delicacy;
- sour-milk products - a couple of times a week you can treat your dog with yogurt, kefir or yoghurt without additives.
You can not give the pet food from your table, sweets, pastries, chocolate, tubular bones. With natural feeding, the dog needs additional sources of vitamin and mineral substances. To do this, it is recommended to add bone meal to food. Also it is worth consulting with a veterinarian who will recommend a suitable vitamin complex.
If the owner prefers to be fed with production rations, then this should be a quality food suitable for dogs of large breeds. In this case, no additional additives are required for the animal.
Ideal for living such a large dog is a country house with a spacious house territory. It is desirable that the dog freely moved around the yard and had a spacious booth. The enclosure can be arranged, but only for short-term use, and even more so this dog is not suitable for keeping on the chain.
In the apartment, the dog can live, but it is important for future owners to immediately take into account the nuances:
- should be weaned from barking for any reason;
- to accustom to a street toilet will have to take a long time - like other representatives of large breeds, grosros mature long, and puddles can be made at home by the age of 6 months (the size of puddles, alas, will not be children's).
The family who decided to take a puppy of a large Swiss mountain dog to the apartment will have to have patience and from the very beginning to tell the baby what to do and what is forbidden.
Photo of the big Swiss Mountain Dog
Video about the big Swiss Mountain Dog
Buying a puppy
Unfortunately, in Russia this breed remains rare, and if the Bernese Mountain Dogs nurseries are found quite often, breeders of "Swiss" are not so many. In Moscow, there is only one kennel "Kingdom of Mountain Dogs" http://www.z-hund.ru/cntnt/rus/menyu_2_eng/kontakty_.html, which is breeding this breed.
The acquisition of a puppy requires a serious approach, since there is a risk of acquiring a dog with genetic abnormalities or unstable psyche. You need to contact only experienced breeders or nurseries that specialize in breeding no more than 3 breeds.
The puppy of the pet class costs an average of 25,000 rubles, the kid of the breed class - 30000-45000 rubles. If you need a pet for exhibitions, then it's worth purchasing a puppy with excellent data - show class. In this case, you have to pay 50,000 rubles, but this is not the limit.
Today, not so often you can meet on the street a large Swiss mountain dog. Rarity and effectiveness of representatives of this breed should not be the main reasons for purchasing a puppy. Such a pet will require a lot of time, patience and finances, so it's important to weigh your capabilities.