Diseases of the ears in dogs are very unpleasant phenomena that can disturb not only people, but also our smaller brothers - dogs. And for pets, these ailments are a real test, since their ears are more vulnerable and sensitive than human ones. How to recognize ear diseases in time, and what measures should be taken to help the pet?
- Как проявляются болезни ушей у собак 1. How are diseases of the ears in dogs
- Почему возникают болезни 2. Why do diseases arise?
- Болезни ушей, вызванные аллергией 3. Ear Diseases Caused by Allergies
- Отодектоз 4. Otodecosis
- Заболевания инфекционного характера 5. Infectious diseases
- Инородные предметы в ушах 6. Foreign objects in the ears
- Травмирование ушного прохода 7. Injury of the ear canal
- Дрожжеподобные возбудители и гормональные нарушения 8. Yeast-like pathogens and hormonal disorders.
How are ear diseases in dogs
Ailments related to auricles, accompanied by pronounced symptoms. Therefore, even a person who is far from the medical and veterinary sciences, is able to notice that the dog is worried about a disease of the ears:
- the dog begins to scratch his ears often and intensely, often scratching to blood;
- ears are hyperemic, inflammatory processes, edema are observed (often the tips are affected);
- from ears comes an unpleasant, purulent smell;
- possible release of inflammatory fluid;
- the dog can constantly tilt its head in one direction, this is especially noticeable during movement;
- Pet painfully reacts to any contact with the ears.
Naturally, the disease does not improve the mood of a pet. The dog becomes irritable, and may become depressed and not make contact. If the pet does not meet the owner at the door - there is a reason to worry about his health.
In principle, according to statistics, ear diseases in dogs are very common. Only 20% of dogs are affected with an ear mite in the world, but these are only registered cases, so there are actually more sick animals.
Why do diseases arise?
Diseases can be very diverse, depending on the pathogen and the causes. It may be noted the following factors provoking the appearance of the ear disease:
- allergic reactions;
- atopic manifestations;
- ear mite;
- secondary infection;
- primary infection that can be caused by fungal, yeast-like, viral, or bacterial microorganisms;
- a foreign body, and grass stalks are often dangerous in this case, which often damage the ears of the animal;
- hormonal disorders;
- penetration of large amounts of water into the ear canal (it is important to take this into account when bathing a pet);
- pathologies of hereditary nature;
- immunological disorders;
- cancer of any etiology.
Manifestations and method of treatment directly depends on what caused the disease.
Diseases of the ears caused by allergies
An allergic reaction affects the entire body, including the sensitive, delicate tissue of the pet's ears. In addition, often the problems of this nature and signal the development of allergies.
Swollen, reddened, painful ears are a good reason to visit the veterinary clinic, as this condition is often accompanied by serious complications.
Often, with weaker signs, the owners make the mistake of starting to “treat” a pet for a non-existent infection, while using strong antibiotic drugs. Such therapy often leads to a critical condition of the dog.
Veterinarians do not recommend self-treatment for pets. Elimination of allergic manifestations requires taking antihistamine (antiallergic) drugs. With severe edema, therapy is supplemented with diuretics - diuretic drugs that relieve this symptom. It is important to find out which allergen provoked a similar reaction in order to avoid a painful condition later.
The causative agent of the disease is the ear mite . As a rule, it affects cats, but dogs, though much less often, suffer from this disease. The parasites themselves are not dangerous for animals, so they can freely dwell in the ears of dogs without any manifestation.
But often the waste products of parasitic insects provoke the development of allergy, which is joined by secondary infection caused by pathogenic bacteria. The dog begins to scratch his ears, as this process is accompanied by severe itching.
Therapy for this disease may include the following activities:
- Acceptance of antihistamines, eliminating the signs of allergies - itching, swelling, redness, etc.
- The use of drugs against ear mite: "Leopard", "Otokan", "Tsipam", "Anandin" and other drugs in the form of ear drops. Less commonly prescribed drugs in the form of injections, for example, "Dektomaks".
- Before applying the medication it is necessary to clean the ears from dirt and scabs . For these purposes, you can use hydrogen peroxide (3% solution), cosmetic baby oil or pre-sterilized vegetable oil.
Infections are the largest group of diseases caused by various pathogens. Among them, the most dangerous are fungal microorganisms. In a healthy dog, the body is able to withstand this pathogen, but in certain unfavorable situations that significantly lower the immunity, the fungus provokes severe inflammation. This is often observed against the background of severe stress, long-term infectious infections, advanced forms of ailments, etc.
In this case, the strongest antibiotics and antimicrobial agents are not able to resist the pathogen. It is important to timely diagnosis of the condition of the pet. A number of microscopic examinations, allergen samples, and material seeding on a nutrient medium are prescribed.
Effective treatment of ear diseases in dogs can be prescribed only after identifying the type of pathogen. Immunomodulators are prescribed, as well as agents with hepatoprotective action that protect the liver.
Foreign objects in the ears
In most cases, dogs suffer from penetration of plant components into the ears - a piece of twigs, grass, bark and other things. Naturally, more often a similar phenomenon is observed in service and hunting dogs working in the forest zone. But the usual trip to the park can lead to similar consequences.
But not so much damage to delicate skin, as the probability of falling into the wound of pathogens. Therefore, it is important to inspect the dog's ears after walking.
The treatment consists in eliminating a foreign object, and if the inflammation has developed, then antibiotic therapy or antimicrobial drugs are used (depending on the pathogen).
Injury of the ear canal
A similar phenomenon happens more often with pugnacious pets, who do not miss a chance to measure their strength with their relatives. Thin ear tissue in this situation suffers first. And this character has not only the representatives of fighting breeds.
If damage has occurred, then veterinarians recommend seeking professional help, not trying to cure the dog yourself. In addition, there are risks of infecting a pet with rabies or other dangerous diseases.
Yeast-like pathogens and hormonal disorders
This pathology is one of the most dangerous problems with the ears. Malfunctions of hormonal background often become the causes of various kinds of dermatitis, dermatosis, and autoimmune manifestations. More often, the body reacts negatively to an imbalance of the thyroid hormones, sex hormones, as well as the administration of drugs-glucocorticosteroids.
These conditions are extremely difficult to diagnose. To identify them, a biochemical blood test, ultrasound, X-rays are prescribed.
The treatment is also very serious, requiring the use of drugs that can normalize secretory secretions of excess hormones. Therapy is necessarily carried out under the supervision of a specialist, because, trying to heal the ears, you can cause irreparable harm to the whole body.
Often, inflammatory processes, accompanied by abundant exudate excretion from the ears, are complicated by the appearance of pathogenic yeast colonies. A clear sign of the disease is wet skin with an unpleasant, purulent odor. It is extremely difficult to cure these phenomena in dogs with long ears - basset hounds , spaniels , greyhounds and others.
The disease requires emergency treatment, since there is a high risk of developing blood poisoning - sepsis. The veterinarian prescribes a comprehensive treatment - drugs against bacteria, fungicidal agents.
Ears in dogs require special attention. It is necessary to inspect them after walks and, if necessary, wash and clean the sinks from excess sulfur, dirt and dust. For some breeds processing is mandatory, regardless of the state of the body. Also, care will allow timely detection of ticks and remove them without consequences. It is necessary to refrain about self-treatment, it is better to entrust the health of a pet to professionals.