Diseases in the ears of dogs are very unpleasant phenomena that can disturb not only people, but also the brothers of our smaller dogs. And for pets, these ailments are real trials, since their ears are more vulnerable and sensitive than human. How to recognize ear illnesses in time, and what measures should be taken to help the pet?
- Как проявляются болезни ушей у собак 1. How do diseases of the ears in dogs
- Почему возникают болезни 2. Why do diseases occur?
- Болезни ушей, вызванные аллергией 3. Diseases of the ears caused by allergies
- Отодектоз 4. Odechtosis
- Заболевания инфекционного характера 5. Diseases of an infectious nature
- Инородные предметы в ушах 6. Foreign objects in the ears
- Травмирование ушного прохода 7. Injury of the ear aisle
- Дрожжеподобные возбудители и гормональные нарушения 8. Yeast-like pathogens and hormonal disorders
How do diseases of the ears in dogs
The ailments related to the auricles are accompanied by pronounced symptoms. Therefore, even a person who is far from medical and veterinary sciences, is able to notice that the dog is concerned about the ear disease:
- the dog begins to scratch the ears frequently and intensively, often scratching to the blood;
- the auricles are hyperemic, inflammatory processes, edema (often the tips are affected);
- from the ears comes an unpleasant, purulent smell;
- possible the release of inflammatory fluid;
- a dog can constantly tilt his head in one direction, especially noticeable during movement;
- the pet reacts painfully to any contact with the ears.
Naturally, the disease does not improve the mood of the pet. The dog becomes irritable, and may become depressed and do not go into contact. If the pet does not meet the owner at the door - there is reason to worry about his health.
In principle, according to statistical data, ear diseases in dogs are very common. Only an ear mite in the world affects about 20% of dogs, but these are only registered cases, so the sick animals are in fact much more.
Why there are diseases
Diseases can be of a very diverse nature, depending on the pathogen and the causes of the onset. We can note the following factors that provoke the appearance of an ear disease:
- allergic reactions;
- atopic manifestations;
- an ear mite;
- secondary infection;
- Primary infection, which can cause fungal, yeast-like, viral or bacterial microorganisms;
- foreign body, and dangerous in this case are often the grass stems, which often inflict damage to the auricles of the animal;
- hormonal disorders;
- penetration in the ear passage of large volumes of water (it is important to take this into account when bathing a pet);
- hereditary pathology;
- immunological ailments;
- oncological diseases of any etiology.
The manifestations and the way of treatment directly depends on what triggered the disease.
Diseases of the ears caused by allergies
Allergic reaction affects the entire body, including sensitive, delicate tissues of the pet's ears. In addition, often problems of this nature and signal the development of allergies.
Swollen, reddened, painful ears are a good reason for visiting a veterinary clinic, as this condition is often accompanied by serious complications.
Often, with weaker signs, the owners make the mistake of starting to "heal" the pet from a non-existent infection, while applying strong antibiotic drugs. Such therapy often leads to a critical condition of the dog.
Veterinarians do not recommend self-treatment of pets. Elimination of allergic manifestations requires the use of antihistamines (antiallergic) drugs. With severe edema, therapy is supplemented with diuretics - diuretics that remove this symptom. It is important to find out which allergen triggered such a reaction in order to avoid a painful condition in the subsequent.
The causative agent of the disease is the ear mite . As a rule, it affects cats, but dogs, although much less often, suffer from this disease. The parasites themselves are not dangerous for animals, so they can live unobstructed in the ears of dogs, without showing themselves.
But often the products of vital activity of parasitic insects provoke the development of an allergy, to which secondary infection, caused by pathogenic bacteria, joins. The dog begins to scratch the ears, as this process is accompanied by a strong itch.
Therapy for this disease can include the following:
- Taking antihistamines that eliminate allergy symptoms - itching, swelling, redness, etc.
- The use of drugs against ear mites: Bars, Otokan, Zipam, Anandin and other preparations in the form of ear drops. Less often prescribed medication in the form of injections, for example, "Dectomax".
- Before applying medication, it is necessary to clean the ear shells from contaminants and scabs . For this purpose, you can use hydrogen peroxide (3% solution), cosmetic baby oil or pre-sterilized vegetable oil.
Diseases of an infectious nature
Infections are the largest group of diseases caused by various pathogenic pathogens. Among them, the most dangerous are fungal microorganisms. In a healthy dog, the body is able to resist this pathogen, but in certain adverse situations that significantly reduce immunity, the fungus provokes the most severe inflammation. This is often observed against a background of severe stress, long-term infectious infections, neglected forms of ailments, etc.
In this case, the strongest antibiotics and antimicrobial agents are not able to resist the pathogen. It is important to timely diagnosis of the pet. A number of microscopic studies, samples for allergens, and sowing of the material on a nutrient medium are assigned.
Effective treatment of ear diseases in dogs can be prescribed only after identifying the type of pathogen. Prescribe drugs immunomodulators, as well as funds with hepatoprotective action, protecting the liver.
Foreign objects in the ears
In most cases, dogs suffer from penetration into the ears of plant components - a slice of branches, grass, bark and other. Naturally, more often this phenomenon is observed in official and hunting dogs working in the forest zone. But an ordinary trip to the park can lead to similar consequences.
But the damage is not so much damage to the delicate skin, as the probability of getting into the wound of pathogens. Therefore, it is important after examining the ears of the dog to inspect the ears.
Treatment consists in elimination of a foreign object, and if the inflammation has developed, antibiotic therapy or antimicrobial drugs (depending on the pathogen) is used.
Injury of ear auricle
This phenomenon often happens with pugnacious pets, who do not miss the opportunity to face off with their relatives. Thin tissues of the ears suffer in this situation first. And such character is possessed not only by representatives of fighters' breeds.
In some cases, in order to protect the ears, the tissue is prone to damage, but this practice is applied only to certain breeds.
If the damage occurs, veterinarians recommend seeking professional help without trying to cure the dog on their own. In addition, there are risks of infection of the pet by rabies or other dangerous diseases.
Yeast-like pathogens and hormonal disorders
This pathology refers to the most dangerous problems with the ears. Failures of the hormonal background are often the cause of various kinds of dermatitis, dermatosis, autoimmune manifestations. More often the body reacts negatively to the imbalance of the thyroid hormone balance, sex hormones, and glucocorticosteroid preparations.
These conditions are extremely difficult to diagnose. For their detection, a biochemical blood test, ultrasound, x-ray is prescribed.
Treatment is also very serious, requiring the use of drugs that can normalize secretory secretions of excess hormones. Therapy is necessarily conducted under the supervision of a specialist, because, trying to cure the ears, you can cause irreparable harm to the entire body.
Often, inflammatory processes, accompanied by abundant secretions of exudate from the auricles, are complicated by the appearance of colonies of pathogenic yeast. A clear sign of the disease is wet skin with an unpleasant, purulent smell. Extremely difficult such phenomena are cured in dogs with long ears - basset hounds , spaniels , greyhounds and others.
The disease requires emergency therapy, since the risk of developing blood poisoning is great - sepsis. Veterinarian appoints a comprehensive treatment - drugs against bacteria, fungicides.
The ears of dogs require special attention. It is necessary to inspect them after walking and, if necessary, wash and clean the shells of excess sulfur, dirt, dust. For some breeds, processing is mandatory, regardless of the condition of the organ. Also, care will allow timely detection of mites and remove them without consequences. It is worth to refrain from self-treatment, it is better to entrust the health of the pet to professionals.